Wednesday, January 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:05 pm
nklotz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm "Casamigos" sounds Spanish, doesn't it?
[citation needed]
Nope. You don't get to pull the "sounds like X language is ambiguous" card here. You claim to be fluent in Spanish. The name is an obvious portmanteau of "casa" and "amigos."
Sprinkles are for winners.
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 pm
nklotz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:45 pm
Dash buttons + dash wand = could be any company you order from. I negged with eBay, and figured there were a lot more that were equally cromulent.
Surely you have ordered from Amazon before? These are advertised pretty heavily on their homepage.
I'm with TPH on this one. I shop on Amazon all the time and hadn't heard of either the dash button or dash wand.
Me too - I'm even a Prime member. But scrolling through both the US and Canadian sites, I can't see anything that could be called a 'dash button' or a 'dash wand'.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:14 pm
2) "Neither a borrower, or a lender be..." From the Skipper on Gilligan's Island- possibly not even a real excerpt.
That's from "The Producer" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Producer) - one of the best episodes of 60s television (and my favorite Gilligan's Island).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:57 pm
[citation needed]
Nope. You don't get to pull the "sounds like X language is ambiguous" card here. You claim to be fluent in Spanish. The name is an obvious portmanteau of "casa" and "amigos."
Just because it looks like two Spanish words mashed together doesn't make it so. We all know the myth about the Chevy Nova.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

As long as people are talking about Amazon buttons, we got some Amazon Echo Buttons for Christmas, and they make for a pretty cool live trivia experience. They are just little buttons that sync up via bluetooth with Alexa/Echo, but the Trivial Pursuit game has Alexa asking questions and if you are the first to hit your button you can just speak your response, as opposed to the multiple choice that most games rely on. Check it out if you've got an Echo thingy.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OSXpert wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:02 am As long as people are talking about Amazon buttons, we got some Amazon Echo Buttons for Christmas, and they make for a pretty cool live trivia experience. They are just little buttons that sync up via bluetooth with Alexa/Echo, but the Trivial Pursuit game has Alexa asking questions and if you are the first to hit your button you can just speak your response, as opposed to the multiple choice that most games rely on. Check it out if you've got an Echo thingy.
The downside is when the game is over and you realize you've just ordered 1,000 rolls of Charmin toilet paper! :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:58 pm
Dash buttons + dash wand = could be any company you order from. I negged with eBay, and figured there were a lot more that were equally cromulent.
Surely you have ordered from Amazon before? These are advertised pretty heavily on their homepage.
I'm with TPH on this one. I shop on Amazon all the time and hadn't heard of either the dash button or dash wand.
Me too - I'm even a Prime member. But scrolling through both the US and Canadian sites, I can't see anything that could be called a 'dash button' or a 'dash wand'.
Gizmodo had regular articles on dash buttons regularly last year two years ago...damn rollover...
https://gizmodo.com/amazon-is-adding-da ... 1782659185
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:43 pm Here's one for the judges:

"Tracts of land with no real boundaries; 'nether' ones can refer to the underworld"

Do you think 'realm' would be accepted for this one too? (Remember: the actual 'realm' clue came after this one)
All I know is I'm spotted 'nether' and I gave 'realm' instantly without question.
It's a decent response but I don't think so. A realm can have definite boundaries so you could argue against it being correct. Since it wasn't the answer they were expecting it would probably be marked wrong.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:43 pm
Here's one for the judges:

"Tracts of land with no real boundaries; 'nether' ones can refer to the underworld"

Do you think 'realm' would be accepted for this one too? (Remember: the actual 'realm' clue came after this one)
All I know is I'm spotted 'nether' and I gave 'realm' instantly without question.
By "underworld", do they mean the world under the waist?
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:45 pm I couldn't make head of the "area code" clue either. What did the Onion part of the clue have to do with the rest of the clue? "Area man"?
I didn't get it until I read this post.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I'd say no. "Realm" is singular and the clue is seeking a plural word ("tracts").
OCSam
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Really, folks? Amazon has advertised them on TV.
OCSam
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

It probably won't come up in Jeopardy but there is both a soccer player and a volleyball player named Carli Lloyd on the U.S. National team.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:15 am
Really, folks? Amazon has advertised them on TV.
I visit Amazon's site several times a week and I'm not familiar with a dash button/wand (though, I still got the question correct through context), but I do always skip TV commercials.

Read the first part of the $200 The Zone clue and thought, "area code." Read the second part and clammed, even though I'm familiar with the Onion bit. What a very awkwardly written clue.

Another response of "16 men" here.

After a garment rending 2/5 in finals last week, I'm *knocks on wood* 3/3 on the week so far.
I would prefer not to.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Same here. I guessed Amazon anyway because the clue seemed to point to it. But my familiarity with the company and its website actually made me worry that I was wrong. Maybe it's just that I never see Amazon's homepage. (I have Firefox set up so I just type "am" and a space and then my search term and it takes me to the search results within amazon.) But I know about Alexa because I don't live under a rock. How do I not know about this Dash stuff?
davey

Post by davey »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:05 am

I'd say no. "Realm" is singular and the clue is seeking a plural word ("tracts").
But we know that plural clue/singular response is not usually a problem on J!
A better reason to neg is that realms usually do have boundaries.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:11 am . How do I not know about this Dash stuff?
Because it's just fluff and noise?? Reminds me of the "one-click" revolutionary technological breakthrough that nobody asked for and nobody cares about. Better to save your brain space for something useful - lyrics to Gilligan's Island or third grade, for example.
Speaking of faux tech, who really wants Alexa to lower the thermostat and dim the lights for you for a mere few hundred bucks hardware cost? Now, getting the spot price on herring futures, that's a killer app. 8-)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

[citation needed]
Casa + amigos (I clued in on the amigos at the end of the word, and it sounded Spanish, so I went with tequila.)

I think this was a top level clue, and if so, the obvious guess (Spanish alcohol = tequila) isn't a bad guess.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

silverscreentest wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:31 am It probably won't come up in Jeopardy but there is both a soccer player and a volleyball player named Carli Lloyd on the U.S. National team.
Does the latter play on a team called the Houston Dash?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I clammed on the "dead men's chest" clue because I also wasn't sure if it was 15 or 16. I've heard both.