Wednesday, January 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Country of 140 million gets a guess of "India"? Wow. India has over 1.3 BILLION people. It's set to overtake China as the world's most populous country by 2022. (Some demographers, or whatever they're called, think it probably already has.)

I kind of wanted Alex not to prompt Steph for the rest of the Harry Potter title. I didn't need any extra help. :D

Mrs P said "salt block" for salt lick. Judges?

Pre-called Wonder Boys for the NOVELS WITHIN NOVELS category. I was prepared to name the the main character's first novel.
Spoiler
The Arsonist's Daughter

But I missed the clue on the woman who created the fictional mystery writer Ariadne Oliver. Guessed Virginia Woolf.
I guessed Dred Scott on the last DD and got it right. Good thing I couldn't remember the name Solomon Northup.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 right.

Diets (3), Zone (1), Mediterranean (3), Dash (2), Paleolithic (0), Wait (2)
Novels (3), 2-Digit (3), State (3), Chief (3), Celeb (4), "Salt" (1)

Lach Trash: Libya, 27

I was thinking about the Barber of Seville, but I couldn't remember his name, so I settled on Pagliacci just to have a guess.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

My first reaction to "15 men on a dead man's chest" was "That's a $2000 clue?" And then nobody got it. Forget the trap door, they walk the plank.
Seriously though, I suspect they were very nervous up there. 140 million and 1.4 billion are an order of magnitude apart for the populations of Russia and India. And maybe the new champ thought, in a calculational hurry, that $700 would be enough on a late Daily Double to give her the runaway.
Instaget FJ.
Hoping for a third lap
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Returning champ had a mere $600 going into Final :oops:

Got Wonder Boys with an assist from the pause button. Was stuck trying to remember the title The Adventures of Kavalier and Klay, completely missing the part about the Michael Douglas movie

Not a big opera person but I do try to get to the Metropolitan Opera at least once a year because, well, I can walk there and they offer $25 rush tickets. Saw Il Barbiere di Siviglia last year and wow! they blew the roof off the dump!

But I think they should have asked for Largo al factotum :twisted:

For the corrupt police question, I went with Mexico
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

For some unfathomable reason, I got the idea in my head that there were 14 men in a dead man's chest. I'm going to blame it on working 26 hours within about a 35 hour period, delivering mail in subzero temperatures. Yeah. That sounds good.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

tiwonge wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:34 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 pm So, would they accept "The Barber of Seville" as a response?
This is all I could come up with, too, as I blanked on the name. I knew that the Looney Tunes had sung it too, but still couldn't come up with it. You failed me, Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd.
As an opera fan and a Looney Tunes fan, I recommend Long-haired Hare as a refresher on this topic. (Look for the alum gag.) Maybe someone with the necessary skills can post a link to this Bugs v. Giovanni Jones classic. Zerobandwidth?
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:45 pm I couldn't make head of the "area code" clue either.
You and me both, buddy. The response didn't help me understand what they were getting at either. The contestants seemed similarly befuddled.
I can see how that clue was tough to decipher if you weren't a longtime newspaper person who wrote more than his share of "Area man ..." headlines (i.e. "Area man charged with DUI;" "Area man honored by Kiwanis Club;" "Area man struck by lightning") over the years. As The Onion points out, Area Man gets around ...

https://www.amazon.com/Onion-Presents-C ... B004DI7IGY
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Fleeboy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:45 pm I couldn't make head of the "area code" clue either.
You and me both, buddy. The response didn't help me understand what they were getting at either. The contestants seemed similarly befuddled.
I can see how that clue was tough to decipher if you weren't a longtime newspaper person who wrote more than his share of "Area man ..." headlines (i.e. "Area man charged with DUI;" "Area man honored by Kiwanis Club;" "Area man struck by lightning") over the years. As The Onion points out, Area Man gets around ...

Is Area Man related to Florida Man? I mean, they even have the same last name, and they both seem to be in the news a lot...
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:32 pm For the corrupt police question, I went with Mexico
Same here. Turns out we were short by about 12.5M citizens.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:42 pm For some unfathomable reason, I got the idea in my head that there were 14 men in a dead man's chest. I'm going to blame it on working 26 hours within about a 35 hour period, delivering mail in subzero temperatures. Yeah. That sounds good.
I side with my fellow Sho-me stater. It was 14 men on the playground version. Figures our illiterate, innumerate hillbilly friends would lose count. Probably one lost a finger in a fireworks accident and switched to base 9. :roll:

I'm glad Steph won after her conservative DD2 bet. Hard to criticize it though, we've seen every big bet fail for the last few days. It looks like she guaranteed she'd be in the lead, even if she lost and Michael hoovered the remaining $4500 clues. She kept him far enough back to force a miss-make.

I rarely watch clickbait or U-tube, but the Russians penchant for dash cams is well known, not just because of road rage clips. They caught dozens of vids of the meteorite a few years back; that wouldn't happen here. But guessing the country from the population isn't enough, nor the corruption, so it was YEKIOYD.

My entire vault of Opera lyrics:
1) Figaro, Figaro, etc..... blah blah - probably from Looney Tunes
2) "Neither a borrower, or a lender be..." From the Skipper on Gilligan's Island- possibly not even a real excerpt.
3) "Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Waaaaabbitttttttttt" - Elmer Fudd

Thank you, FJ writers. I will wash my monocle and wait for the next Opera clue :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got FJ because they said famed aria and I got the hint that it was a song everybody knew.

1/2 on daily doubles. Really weak game for me. Couldn't pull the name John Roberts. Oops.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

sarisson wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:31 pm My first reaction to "15 men on a dead man's chest" was "That's a $2000 clue?" And then nobody got it. Forget the trap door, they walk the plank.
I had 16. And in my defense, singing it, 15 and 16 are pretty darn close together all grogged up without subtitles!

Here's one for the judges:

"Tracts of land with no real boundaries; 'nether' ones can refer to the underworld"

Do you think 'realm' would be accepted for this one too? (Remember: the actual 'realm' clue came after this one)
All I know is I'm spotted 'nether' and I gave 'realm' instantly without question.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I thought it was 16 men. I've always heard (or misheard, I suppose) 16 men. Just learned today that it's 15 and not 16.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Vowela wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:47 pm I thought it was 16 men. I've always heard (or misheard, I suppose) 16 men. Just learned today that it's 15 and not 16.
me too
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:45 pm
Dash buttons + dash wand = could be any company you order from. I negged with eBay, and figured there were a lot more that were equally cromulent.
Surely you have ordered from Amazon before? These are advertised pretty heavily on their homepage.
Country of 140 million = could be any of them. I also negged with India. Figures the one time I remember how big India is, and it's not right.
Russian dashcam videos are extremely popular on Youtube. From drunk drivers to asteroids to crazy car crashes.
How does Monaco = "grace"ful?
Grace Kelly was an American actress who became princess of Monaco. However, you probably should have been able to get this one just by knowing the country was "surrounded on 3 sides by France".
Paleolithic = old stone age? I saw no way to figure that out.
"Lithic" = Greek for "stone". Monolith, is another example.
That whole Diet category was miles over my head. Any reason I should know any of that?
These are a bit more forgivable. Biggest Loser has been around forever, "G-free" should lead you to "gluten-free", same for 5-letter "V" diet and "vegan", Florida = South Beach, and Atkins was the first well-known of the no-carb/low-carb diets.
John Roberts rings no bells for me, probably because it's such an anti-Hawley-Smoot name.
John Roberts is the current Chief Justice. You should probably just know this one.
Any reason I should know that Casamigos is a tequila and not any other form of booze? I saw no way to narrow that down.
"Casamigos" sounds Spanish, doesn't it? Can you think of any Spanish liquors?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

nklotz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm
Dash buttons + dash wand = could be any company you order from. I negged with eBay, and figured there were a lot more that were equally cromulent.
Surely you have ordered from Amazon before? These are advertised pretty heavily on their homepage.
I also don't own an Alexa, so that never came up.
nklotz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm John Roberts is the current Chief Justice. You should probably just know this one.
Again, just too plain a name to stick in my head.
nklotz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm "Casamigos" sounds Spanish, doesn't it?
[citation needed]
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 pm So, would they accept "The Barber of Seville" as a response?
Good question. I'd guess not, but this is a real edge case.

I think they asked for the character rather than the opera to avoid the negbait of The Marriage of Figaro. That's a Mozart opera featuring earlier adventures of the same character in Rossini's Barber.
Negbait? Making sure we knew which opera would have made it slightly challenging, instead of a softball...but it still seems like many here would have gotten it.
Another 16 men on a dead man's chest here...and I'm an Onion fan, but that clue stupefied me....
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

PanthersFan1 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
I do not know Golf’s religious views, but I suspect he spent the last commercial break praying Michael was an opera buff.
It wouldn't had matter if Michael was an Opera buff since Steph got FJ right and made the cover wager.
Michael was in a position where he could wager enough to win and still protect 2nd place. He needed to wager precisely $8200.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Fleeboy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 pm

He's related to the king of redundancy the "armed gunman."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

nklotz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm
I'm with TPH on this one. I shop on Amazon all the time and hadn't heard of either the dash button or dash wand.