Monday, December 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Monday, December 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:So on the free fall question, does weightlessness work? Huh? Anyone?
That's what I thought they were going for, but couldn't get it out in time.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

alietr wrote:So on the free fall question, does weightlessness work? Huh? Anyone?
I'd say so. "Indoor skydiving" is what the company that invented the concept calls it, so I can see why that was the response the writer was after. If they decided to accept free fall as correct, I don't see why weightlessness wouldn't be accepted as well.
andreaborn
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by andreaborn »

dmleach wrote:
I'd say so. "Indoor skydiving" is what the company that invented the concept calls it, so I can see why that was the response the writer was after. If they decided to accept free fall as correct, I don't see why weightlessness wouldn't be accepted as well.
Accepting weightlessness is an interesting question -- but isn't it gravity vs. no gravity, which is a pretty big difference (assuming weightlessness means no gravity)? Skydiving (normal or indoor) is experiencing gravity without hitting the ground, so I think they'd probably have to rule against it.

They actually took a lot of time to judge freefall correct. Jason (I think) hit the DD and they stopped tape and made us turn away from the board. Maggie came over and said they were checking something, and I asked her to confirm it was freefall they were checking (or for them to do so). She checked and returned and confirmed, and it still took them some time before they were ready to resume taping. Checking to ensure that it met all aspects of the clue and the activity, I suppose.
andreaborn
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by andreaborn »

vellore wrote:Aw crap, Jason won again. Now I'm going to have to face him tomorrow.
Hilarious, Bill.

Thanks to all those with kind words. I knew I'd get hammered (pun intended) for the delay in picking the first clue in DJ -- not sure what happened there.

I will say that there are all kinds of game-play things I "knew" that left me during taping. I was actually pretty happy from a dredging-up-answers perspective. But searching for DDs when I knew I was behind, trying different things to fix my buzzer timing (a contestant coordinator was at my shoulder during both breaks trying to help), even leaving more behind in FJ than I needed to -- all not in line with what I know about the game.

The worst was FJ. I did not even know the category when I was betting -- which was fine since my bet was situational rather than based on the category, but if was one I should have been working ahead of time rather than the vague "Jolly Old England," and I didn't use any time on that, it could have been bad. And I really didn't use every word in the clue at all -- I fixated on "Marquess," thought of Queensbury -- and worried about spelling Queensbury vs. Queensberry even though that wouldn't have mattered. And I know "the" Marquess of Queensbury was later than Queen Anne, his son was with Oscar Wilde! Didn't think about the house part really. FJ was the main source of my self-flagellation the past two months....
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

FAMOUS TOMBS for $1000:

Let's see .. the category gives "TOMB" and the visual gives both "KNOWN" and "SOLDIER", so for $1000 one needed to supply the "UN"?

I thought it couldn't possibly be that easy, so stayed CLAM. (Thought I remembered that it was now being called something else to include service members other than just soldiers [Tomb of the Unknowns, as I later looked up], but wasn't confident that I would be able to come up with the exact wording.)

Kinda wish I had stayed CLAM on Guam instead - I'd be 3000 virtual dollars richer :?
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

andreaborn wrote:
dmleach wrote:
Accepting weightlessness is an interesting question -- but isn't it gravity vs. no gravity, which is a pretty big difference (assuming weightlessness means no gravity)? Skydiving (normal or indoor) is experiencing gravity without hitting the ground, so I think they'd probably have to rule against it.

They actually took a lot of time to judge freefall correct. Jason (I think) hit the DD and they stopped tape and made us turn away from the board. Maggie came over and said they were checking something, and I asked her to confirm it was freefall they were checking (or for them to do so). She checked and returned and confirmed, and it still took them some time before they were ready to resume taping. Checking to ensure that it met all aspects of the clue and the activity, I suppose.
My two wooden nickles, a weightlessness experience revolves around removing gravity's affect, akin to the Vomit Comet. You can't go up while skydiving (indoor or outdoor), but you can go up in a Vomit Comet.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

jkbrat wrote:FAMOUS TOMBS for $1000:

Let's see .. the category gives "TOMB" and the visual gives both "KNOWN" and "SOLDIER", so for $1000 one needed to supply the "UN"?

I thought it couldn't possibly be that easy, so stayed CLAM. (Thought I remembered that it was now being called something else to include service members other than just soldiers [Tomb of the Unknowns, as I later looked up], but wasn't confident that I would be able to come up with the exact wording.)

Kinda wish I had stayed CLAM on Guam instead - I'd be 3000 virtual dollars richer :?

And the Mel Blanc clue with his grave shown had That's All FOlks on it. The 3/10/1998 FJ! clue was to give the three words at the top of Mel Blanc's tombstone.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jkbrat wrote:FAMOUS TOMBS for $1000:

Are you forgetting "of the"? :mrgreen:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

Tehshigelisok wrote:22/29, 15/27.

Okay, what blatantly obvious TOMs did I miss out on in Tombs for $200 or $400? Just more "recognize the face" type clues? Prosopagnosia fails me again.

And again I say. Why is it my performance in the rest of the game is ALWAYS inversely proportional to my likelihood of getting FJ! right? I had no clue and half-jokingly guessed Duke of Earl just because it was the only Duke I could think of.

Where'd all our time go in DJ!? Was it because she took like 45 seconds to pick the first clue?

Fun Raisers for $400 seemed like it could've been either Ferris Wheel or roller coaster.
In 2009 I went to Chicago for my Jeopardy in-person audition and did some walking around after the audition. I remember looking at that big ferris wheel on Lake Michigan--I don't remember seeing a roller coaster. I wouldn't have known the answer but for having gone to Chicago that day.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

Paucle wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:UK: while
US: whilst
Wait, what? That's got to be backwards, huh?
I hope walnut and satsuma are backwards too. Never heard of the latter.
When I was a kid in Mississippi, we had a satsuma plant in our yard. It grew the most delicious little citrus fruits. They had green skins but were about the size and taste of a clementine.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S wrote:Ditto schedules/timetables.
List says "schedules" for UK, "timetables" for US -- why do you think that's backward? Amtrak, for example, has always used the term "timetable" on and in their printed schedules. (In fact, I'd argue that change was unnecessary, since both terms are in use in both countries.)
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

iowabelle wrote:In 2009 I went to Chicago for my Jeopardy in-person audition and did some walking around after the audition. I remember looking at that big ferris wheel on Lake Michigan--I don't remember seeing a roller coaster. I wouldn't have known the answer but for having gone to Chicago that day.
The only wheel I ever saw in Chicago had many colorful dollar amounts on it, plus Bankrupt and Lose a Turn. (Translation: I was at a taping of Wheel of Fortune in Navy Pier in 2008.)

Still got my fingers crossed for being on the OTHER side of said Wheel in Cali. :mrgreen:
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Tehshigelisok wrote:Still got my fingers crossed for being on the OTHER side of said Wheel in Cali. :mrgreen:
under it?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Volante wrote: My two wooden nickles, a weightlessness experience revolves around removing gravity's affect, akin to the Vomit Comet. You can't go up while skydiving (indoor or outdoor), but you can go up in a Vomit Comet.
You can't remove gravity's effect. Isaac Newton is spinning in his grave. You would have to ask Freud about removing its affect.
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

Tehshigelisok wrote:The only wheel I ever saw in Chicago had many colorful dollar amounts on it, plus Bankrupt and Lose a Turn. (Translation: I was at a taping of Wheel of Fortune in Navy Pier in 2008.)
Was it College Week? A friend from my old church won that year (she was an undergrad at Northwestern, and I was a grad student). Now we just need someone to go on "The Price Is Right!" ;)

I got "Buckingham" just by thinking of the palace.
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

Paucle wrote:
Tehshigelisok wrote:Still got my fingers crossed for being on the OTHER side of said Wheel in Cali. :mrgreen:
under it?
No, silly. The side the contestants sit on.
CGeditor wrote:Was it College Week? A friend from my old church won that year (she was an undergrad at Northwestern, and I was a grad student).
It was Family Week, which was the week after. I was at the Wednesday episode.

Your friend wasn't the one who said "mytholo-", stopped, then said "mythology" just after the buzzer, was she?
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

Tehshigelisok wrote:Your friend wasn't the one who said "mytholo-", stopped, then said "mythology" just after the buzzer, was she?
Yes, she was!
Bummer, but she still won quite a bit.
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

Jack McClintock is the first person out of the 7,114 contestants in the Archive whose name contains 4 C's. Apparently the producers need to set up a celebrity match between Cormac McCarthy, Eric McCormack, and Chad Ochocinco. ;)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

cheezguyty wrote:Jack McClintock is the first person out of the 7,114 contestants in the Archive whose name contains 4 C's. Apparently the producers need to set up a celebrity match between Cormac McCarthy, Eric McCormack, and Chad Ochocinco. ;)
Wow, good data-mining skills! Have you downloaded the whole archive and processed it a la Roger Craig?

On the other hand, I would respect your powers more if you would use them for good, rather than for minutia.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

boson wrote:
On the other hand, I would respect your powers more if you would use them for good, rather than for minutia.
Yes. Agreed.