Friday, January 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, January 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by silverscreentest »

I would have asked a BMS for (Karl) Malone when there's another NBA great named Moses Malone.

I wouldn't have accepted Mighty Ducks but that's not the worst judgement call they ever made.

For Nomophobia, I would have used a clue like,"Do I have to listen to my parents at the dinner table now?" That would more directly point to not having the phone.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

They routinely accept Onassis as a correct response when the clue is asking about Jackie while she was still Kennedy, sometimes while she was still Bouvier. If the response refers to the same entity with a name that was at any point a correct name, the judges don't sweat it. What constitutes "same entity" may be a little tricky. E.g. for the judges, the Brooklyn Dodgers are not the same entity as the Los Angeles Dodgers. But the Anaheim Angels are definitely the same entity as the Los Angeles Angels Who Are Ashamed of Their Hometown Anaheim.

By this rule, I think the Mighty Ducks are the same team as the Ducks and either moniker may be used of the team with reference to any point in their history.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:58 am By this rule, I think the Mighty Ducks are the same team as the Ducks and either moniker may be used of the team with reference to any point in their history.
That would be my position. (Slightly) changing the name and the logo doesn't make it a different team.

Another example would be that Mt McKinley is now officially Denali, but they'd take either as a correct response. It's still the same mountain.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:58 amBut the Anaheim Angels are definitely the same entity as the Los Angeles Angels Who Are Ashamed of Their Hometown Anaheim.
And don't forget that they were originally the California Angeles.

When I was a kid, we'd go see a few games every year. Watched Nolan Ryan throw something like 16 or 17 strikeouts one game.
--Peter
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

squarekara wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:32 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 am I hate these phobias that sound like they were made up on social media rather than a genuine psychological disorder.
What about my unreasonable fear of Klaus Nomi?
Astraphobia is the fear of thunder, but Nomiphobia is the fear of lightning striking.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

dinghammer wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:40 pm
squarekara wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:32 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 am I hate these phobias that sound like they were made up on social media rather than a genuine psychological disorder.
What about my unreasonable fear of Klaus Nomi?
Astraphobia is the fear of thunder, but Nomiphobia is the fear of lightning striking.
:lol:
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:42 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:58 amBut the Anaheim Angels are definitely the same entity as the Los Angeles Angels Who Are Ashamed of Their Hometown Anaheim.
And don't forget that they were originally the California Angeles.
They were originally the Los Angeles Angels -- the change to "California Angels" happened in 1965.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

silverscreentest wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:11 am I would have asked a BMS for (Karl) Malone when there's another NBA great named Moses Malone.
Yep, good catch. Absolutely should have had been a note on Alex's card for a BMS on the surname alone.

Interesting that they only required one of the players; asking for both would have been fine and likely not made the clue significantly harder.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said Moses Malone on that, even though I knew good and well it was Karl they were going for.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Coryat: 20000 (10000 each round)
29R, 2W (DD: 1/3)
FJ: :(

Ran Portmanteaus in DJ and NHL in J, not so great elsewhere.

LT: Cell phone, Red Wings.