Friday, January 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7670, 2018-01-05

CONTESTANTS
Claudia Hochstein, an environmental program administrator from Saint Paul, Minnesota
Brandon Brooks, an HR manager from Chicago, Illinois
Sean Sullivan, a financial adviser from Verona, New Jersey (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny.

[Alex makes a big gesture with his hand.]

Alex: Sean taught me how to do that. What a great start to this new year we've had here on Jeopardy! Yesterday, our first runaway game, for Sean, but unable to capitalize on Final Jeopardy! because he missed the correct response. So Claudia, Brandon, I suppose that's a bit of encouragement for you. You know he can be taken. Here we go into the first round. Now the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FEAR FACTOR (4/5)
NHL LOGOS (4/5)
TAKE ME "DOWN" (5/5)
TO THE SALT LAKE CITY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WHERE THE GRASS IS GREEN (5/5)
AND THE GIRLS ARE PRETTY (2/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brandon: 10 R, 2 W
Claudia: 8 R, 1 W
Sean: 6 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Claudia: $2,600
Brandon: $2,400
Sean: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Claudia Hochstein, as you heard a few minutes ago, is from Minnesota.

Claudia: Oh, yeah.

Alex: You like wild rice?

Claudia: I do. I love wild rice.

Alex: Okay. Now what's this about you creating a new national holiday of your own?

Claudia: I wouldn't say it's a national holiday. It's more like a very localized holiday, within my apartment.

Alex: Oh.

[Laughter]

Claudia: It's called Hochtoberfest. And my last name is Hochstein, so Hochtoberfest. And it's a celebration of things I love, in addition to decorative gourd season. So whereas Oktoberfest is in September, Hochtoberfest takes place the first Saturday in November.

Alex: Right.

Claudia: It's great.

[Laughter]

Alex: I followed all of that, which is scary.

Alex: Brandon Brooks is from Chicago, Illinois. Big game show fan, I understand.

Brandon: Oh-ho-ho, you have no idea.

Alex: You have over 600 sound clips of game show themes?

Brandon: Yep, mp3s. I started collecting them around a decade ago, and I think I have maybe five or six versions of the Jeopardy! theme. And I love them so much that I work out to them.

Alex: Really?

Brandon: Yeah.

Alex: All right, I'm going to put you on the spot.

Brandon: Uh-huh.

Alex: First television game show I hosted in the United States.

Brandon: Wizard of Odds, absolutely.

Alex: Wizard of Odds. Do you remember the lyrics to that opening song?

Brandon: It was sung by, oh, gosh, Alan Thicke. And [singing] "Who's the man..." something like that.

Alex: "Who's the man with the money, makes the dark day sunny?" That's me.

Brandon: Good to know.

[Laughter]

Alex: Sean Sullivan. Volunteering as a trail builder at a state park. Which means what, you get out there with a rake and machete and create trails?

Sean: The push on the Appalachian Trail that goes up Bear Mountain, in Bear Mountain State Park. Gets a lot of wear, so for the past 12 years, they've been replacing it with granite steps. I've been there for two years, and they let volunteers go out and move an 800-pound, five-foot-long step with rock bars and put it in the right place.

Alex: It's wonderful that so many of you are volunteers, because we can no longer afford to look after all of our parks.

Sean: So you appreciate more.

Alex: Okay.

Sean: They come out in the spring.

Alex: All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sean found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Sean had $3,400, Brandon had $3,800, and Claudia was at $2,600. Sean wagered $2,000.

TO THE SALT LAKE CITY $1000: Just like the one in the Middle East, this Salt Lake City river empties into a very saline lake

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FEAR FACTOR $200: A new & growing condition is nomophobia, the fear of losing access to this--is there a charger nearby?
(Brandon: What is electricity to plug in your phone?)
(Sean: What is WiFi or the internet?)

NHL LOGOS $1000: This team's flying wheel logo is the oldest unchanged logo in the NHL, created in 1948
(Claudia: Who are the Flyers?)

TO THE SALT LAKE CITY $800: Recalling a great moment in state history, bronze seagulls perch on a monument in this square named for a building

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sean: $5,400
Brandon: $3,800
Claudia: $3,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BOOKS & AUTHORITIES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PORTMANTEAU WORDS (5/5)
NIKOLA TESLA (4/5)
AM I BLUE? (2/5)
THEY NAMED A SHIP FOR ME (1/2)
-ISMS & -OLOGIES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 6 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Brandon: 9 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Claudia: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sean snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Sean had $6,200, Brandon had $5,000, and Claudia was at $3,000. Sean wagered $4,000.

-ISMS & -OLOGIES $1600: 19th c. English physician John Snow's knowledge of chloroform & ether made him a master of this -ology

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brandon who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Sean had $12,600, Brandon had $9,000, and Claudia was at $5,800. Brandon wagered $1,500.

BOOKS & AUTHORITIES $1600: Violent sexuality in this man's life & works before & during the French Revolution led to him being jailed for many years
(Brandon: Who's Wilde?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AM I BLUE? $800: Played by Karen Gillan & Michael Rooker, respectively, Nebular & Yondu in this Marvel series have a bluish tinge
(Claudia: What are X-Men?)

AM I BLUE? $1200: Jamie Foxx seemed to get a charge out of playing this Peter Parker foe in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2"
(Brandon: Who is Mr. Freeze?)

AM I BLUE? $2000: Movie audiences saw a lot of blue as Billy Crudup played Dr. Manhattan in this 2009 film

-ISMS & -OLOGIES $1200: Steve Reich is a leader in this music style marked by simple & austere compositions

BOOKS & AUTHORITIES $800: "Madame Bovary" provoked so much outrage it was banned & this author faced immorality charges

NIKOLA TESLA $2000: These 2 Balkan nationalities claim the great inventor; in a 1936 telegram he said he was proud of both
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

BOOKS & AUTHORITIES $2000: For openly dealing with apartheid, some of this woman's novels were banned in her native South Africa
(Claudia: Who is Dinesen?)

THEY NAMED A SHIP FOR ME $2000: The first Vietnam war vet in the House, this long-serving Pennsylvanian had a ship christened in his name in 2015

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sean: $14,600
Brandon: $9,500
Claudia: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMIC BOOK PUBLISHERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Sean: Wager $4,401 to cover Brandon.
Brandon: You have the hope of surpassing Sean if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,101 to force Sean to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Claudia.
Claudia: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $5,398 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1946, MLJ Mags. changed its name to this "Comics", incorporating the first name of its popular teenage hero

FINAL SCORES
Claudia: $5,400 - $1,603 = $3,797 (What is Jeff?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Brandon: $9,500 + $1,301 = $10,801 (What is Archie?) (New champion: $10,801)
Sean: $14,600 - $4,500 = $10,100 (What is Marvel?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Claudia] Were you thinking of Mutt and Jeff or some other Jeff?)
(Claudia: Jeff-pardy.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sean: $11,200, 12 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Brandon: $11,000, 19 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Claudia: $5,400, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $27,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Brandon: 20/59 = .339
Sean: 12/60 = .200
Claudia: 11/58 = .190
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FEAR FACTOR $800: Sometimes I accuse the writers of ergophobia, or fear of this--but it is a serious anxiety condition
(Brandon: What is deja vu?)

FEAR FACTOR $1000: The grouping of holes on the seed pod of this sacred water plant, can break out those with trypophobia, the fear of holes

WHERE THE GRASS IS GREEN $200: "Wild" this grain isn't this grain at all but the seed of an aquatic grass
(Claudia: What is [*]?)
(Alex: Yes.)
(Claudia: Oh, thank God. I'm from Minnesota, so they'd kill me if I got that wrong.)

WHERE THE GRASS IS GREEN $800: The tip of a leaf resembles a boat in this popular long grass with a state in its name

TAKE ME "DOWN" $1000: A native of Maine
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

AND THE GIRLS ARE PRETTY $1000: 19th c. Brits praised the beauty of the women in this disputed area of northern India & northeastern Pakistan
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

BOOKS & AUTHORITIES $400: Poor grammar was one reason the Concord, Mass. library banned this Twain novel 1 month after it was published in 1885
(Brandon: What's Tom Sawyer?)

NIKOLA TESLA $1600: In 1891 Tesla invented this induction device that can transmit electric power without wires

THEY NAMED A SHIP FOR ME $1600: A ship is named for this shipbuilder & health insurance pioneer who had a factor in Permanente, California
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Jordan River
a mobile phone
the Detroit Red Wings
Temple Square
anesthesiology
the Marquis de Sade
Guardians of the Galaxy
Electro
Watchmen
minimalism
Gustave Flaubert
Serbia and Croatia
Nadine Gordimer
John Murtha
Archie Comics
fear of work
the lotus
wild rice
Kentucky bluegrass
a Down Easter
Kashmir
Huckleberry Finn
an induction coil (or the Tesla coil)
Kaiser
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMIC BOOK PUBLISHERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1946, MLJ Mags. changed its name to this “Comics”, incorporating the first name of its popular teenage hero

Sean Sullivan: 14600-4500=10100
Brandon Brooks: 9500+1301=10801 (New Champ)
Claudia Hochstein: 5400-1603=3797

Correct response:
Spoiler
Archie (Sean – Marvel) (Claudia – Jeff)

Daily Doubles
Sean: 3400+2000
Sean: 6200+4000
Brandon: 9000-1500

Coryats
Sean: 11200
Brandon: 11000
Claudia: 5400

Combined: 27,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Sean: 5400
Brandon: 3800
Claudia: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If there is a list of top 100 author/title matches to know for J! I would think the Bovary author would be on there. Certainly top 250.

NHL LOGOS is not on a study list unless Dan Patrick is hosting and the challengers did well splitting the first four until the last one was a stumper.

So much for watching all six hours of Robert Kirkman’s Secret History of Comics and all episodes to date of Riverdale helping me with today’s FJ! clue.

I matched Sean’s response which of course had no chance. Captain Marvel is DC Comics. Billy (Batson) is the first name. Marvel is not a teen’s first name. The high of finishing 2017 with a 5/5 week has led to the low of starting 2018 with a 20% week.

Claudia’s response of Jeff had Alex ask for clarification when he guessed perhaps she was going Mutt & Jeff. Claudia got a laugh when it sounded liked she was going for “Jeff Pardy” (Jeff Pretty?) a pun on the show’s title.

Nice solve by Brandon to take the game and make it five games with five different winners this week.

It seemed like there was editing work on contestant responses that was slightly clipping correct phrasing. Six clues not played completed a bad week for incomplete boards. Monday has to be better.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 pm If there is a list of top 100 author/title matches to know for J! I would think the Bovary author would be on there. Certainly top 250.

NHL LOGOS is not on a study list unless Dan Patrick is hosting and the challengers did well splitting the first four until the last one was a stumper.

So much for watching all six hours of Robert Kirkman’s Secret History of Comics and all episodes to date of Riverdale helping me with today’s FJ! clue.

I matched Sean’s response which of course had no chance. Captain Marvel is DC Comics. Billy (Batson) is the first name. Marvel is not a teen’s first name. The high of finishing 2017 with a 5/5 week has led to the low of starting 2018 with a 20% week.

Claudia’s response of Jeff had Alex ask for clarification when he guessed perhaps she was going Mutt & Jeff. Claudia got a laugh when it sounded liked she was going for “Jeff Pardy” (Jeff Pretty?) a pun on the show’s title.

Nice solve by Brandon to take the game and make it five games with five different winners this week.

It seemed like there was editing work on contestant responses that was slightly clipping correct phrasing. Six clues not played completed a bad week for incomplete boards. Monday has to be better.
This is Jeffpardy:

Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 pm I matched Sean’s response which of course had no chance. Captain Marvel is DC Comics. Billy (Batson) is the first name. Marvel is not a teen’s first name.
A bit of background: Captain Marvel is DC Comics now, but originally he was the flagship character of Fawcett Comics. Fawcett stopped publishing comics in the early 1950s; DC licensed the Captain Marvel family of characters (which DC now owns outright) in the early 1970s and integrated them into its own comics stable. Because Marvel had acquired the Captain Marvel trademark in the meantime -- by creating its own character using that name -- DC was forced to publish its Captain Marvel-starring comics using the title "Shazam" (the hero's famous code word). Recently, DC gave up on the Captain Marvel name altogether, and simply renamed the character Shazam.

And yeah... how come I never got a Comic Book Publishers FJ? :D
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No chance for me as I focused on superheroes. I start 2018 by clicking the box of shame tomorrow.

The carousel keeps spinning along.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Loved Brandon's wager!

I wasn't optimistic about the FJ! category, but I actually solved the clue. It seems as if there have been a lot of clues about superheroes lately (including in today's game), so my first instinct was to think about non-superhero comics.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Not a good game for me today.

R: 19, W: 2, costing 1000
Coryat: 12,400
FJ: :(
LT: cell phone

Another 6 uncovered clues today. That's either 27 or 28 this week - almost enough for a full board. I guess the writers will have it easy in the near future, with plenty of clues for multiple potpourri categories.

It's nice to see proper wagering rewarded. Brandon's was spot on to take advantage of a miss by Sean while locking out a right answer by Claudia. Sean's was the standard wager to cover (rounded up to 100s rather than adding the single dollar).

I had little hope on FJ. Never knew that Archie comics existed, although I know the character. I went with Sean and picked Marvel, hoping that Captain Marvel might have started out as a teenager, and figuring that DC made a lousy first name.
--Peter
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 pm So much for watching all six hours of Robert Kirkman’s Secret History of Comics
Right? I knew it wasn't Marvel (they were Timely and Atlas), but Archie just never came to mind.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

After the category reveal, my g/f turned to me and said "Aren't there just two?" I replied "Aren't you the one who collects Archie Comics?" Then the commercials end, and she proceeded to miss the question.

Insta-get for me.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Nomophobia was poorly pinned. "Charging phone" was too specific and that misled the contestants further away. Terrible clue.

The Ducks are a real team?! I thought they were made up for that movie. The only one I got there was the only one they didn't, Red Wings.

How was I supposed to figure out rice at $200? There are an awful lot of "wild" plants. That whole category was completely foreign to me.

Chauvinism has more meaning than that? I have literally never heard it to mean anything other than "male chauvinism".

Ran "Down".

I have a Labradoodle, so no way was I missing that clue. Can't say I've heard of "threepeat", so I had another "all but the top box" moment.

I saw no way to pick between Sawyer and Finn on Books for $400.

"Hero" misled me to superheroes, and coming up high and dry on a teenage superhero. This was head-slappingly obvious after the fact.

Lach Trash: Detroit Red Wings, Guardians of the Galaxy, minimalism
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Mega instaget for me as soon as I laid eyes on "MLJ". I have a massive gold and silver age Archie collection amassed starting around age 8. At my audition I even said I'd spend jeopardy winnings on a Pep #22 and Archie #1. I could see the wording making this tricky though for people who don't have any true familiarity with Archie.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:53 pm The Ducks are a real team?! I thought they were made up for that movie. The only one I got there was the only one they didn't, Red Wings.
Life literally imitates art: The movie came first, for which they were made up, and then Disney as the team owner christened Anaheim after the movie's team.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:53 pm The Ducks are a real team?! I thought they were made up for that movie. The only one I got there was the only one they didn't, Red Wings.
Not only are the Ducks real, but their name is on Lord Stanley's Cup, which they won in 2007.

I'm still amazed that the Detroit Red Wings were a Triple Stumper. Then again, I live in Greater Detroit aka "Hockeytown".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Finn because the wording suggested the main character was a little rough around the edges.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

29 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :?
LT: Mobile Phone, Detroit Red Wings, Guardians of the Galaxy, Gustav Flaubert, (Marquis de Sade), Nadine Gordimer
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

The phobia category was too obscure for me. Nomophobia? Based on the Greek, I assumed it was fear of laws, but that didn't fit the clue. Why would it mean fear of being without a mobile phone? Tokophobia was easy only because the clue obviously led to fear of giving birth. At least that one played fair with the Greek roots since τόκος means "birth" in Greek. The other possibility was fear of smoking cannabis. Pediophobia seemed like it would be fear of children. I totally missed that the clue was pointing to fear of dolls.

Ran the Portmanteau category. Got lach trash on minimalism (I own at least 2 CDs with compositions by Steve Reich), Gustave Flaubert (come ON, guys!), and Marquis de Sade (come ON, part 2).

No chance on FJ. Wrote down "Billy" (from Billy Batson) just to have something that somehow fit the clue. As soon as I saw Brandon's response I knew that had to be it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

acthomas wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:02 pm
Life literally imitates art: The movie came first, for which they were made up, and then Disney as the team owner christened Anaheim after the movie's team.
They even started out in 1993 as The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. When Disney sold them in 2005, the name got changed to the less cutesy Anaheim Ducks.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I don't think Mighty Ducks should have been accepted. The logo described in the clue was not adopted until the team dropped "Mighty" from the name.

I'm still laughing at the Jeffpardy response.

I was relieved to pull the correct FJ response and avoid an 0/5 week.