Monday, January 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peter the accountant »

DBear wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:44 pmGot FJ by the same reasoning as Peter the Accountant. :D
Keep in mind that is generally a path to ruin. :shock: That it works out from time to time is merely fortune at work. ;)
--Peter
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jamie Rosler won $100,000 a couple years ago on Millionaire.

Ha! It did that embed thing.

2 of the 3 contestants today, then, were WWTBAM alumnuses.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

nlw44 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:45 pm This logic also follows from the idea that a new president becomes official at noon on Jan 20th, regardless of the actual timing of the oath of office. This was discussed a good deal when President Obama's first oath was somewhat mangled by the justice giving it. Obama was president in any case, although his non-fans wanted to believe otherwise.
This is also how the stupid "David Rice Atchison was president for a day on March 4, 1849 because Polk's term was done and Taylor wasn't sworn in until March 5" disinformation came about (forgetting that Atchison also wasn't sworn in either). I would definitely agree that Nixon's term as president officially ended when his letter of resignation was accepted.

Still got the FJ instantly though. I remembered hearing about the callsign being changed, which is a fact, but it may be he was afforded the callsign as one last honour until Ford was sworn in.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:14 pm
nlw44 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:45 pm This logic also follows from the idea that a new president becomes official at noon on Jan 20th, regardless of the actual timing of the oath of office. This was discussed a good deal when President Obama's first oath was somewhat mangled by the justice giving it. Obama was president in any case, although his non-fans wanted to believe otherwise.
This is also how the stupid "David Rice Atchison was president for a day on March 4, 1849 because Polk's term was done and Taylor wasn't sworn in until March 5" disinformation came about (forgetting that Atchison also wasn't sworn in either). I would definitely agree that Nixon's term as president officially ended when his letter of resignation was accepted.

Still got the FJ instantly though. I remembered hearing about the callsign being changed, which is a fact, but it may be he was afforded the callsign as one last honour until Ford was sworn in.
This would also suggest that the presidency lies vacant whenever a sitting president dies. Given the plausibility of this happening in an emergency scenario, this would seem unlikely.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Only 22 right, tough game for me. :oops:
Only got Ian Fleming Daily Double. Said Burned at the stake for the second one and Rhinoceros for the third one.
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Windows, Astronomy, Hungary

Other of my gets include Arc Lamp and Nick Hornby.

Hope to do better in the next episode.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Btw, it's supposed to be "ZEER-o-eth", not "ZEE-roth", right? Have I been pronouncing it wrong all this time?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:05 pm Btw, it's supposed to be "ZEER-o-eth", not "ZEE-roth", right? Have I been pronouncing it wrong all this time?
You were correct. I giggled a little at it.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I couldn't remember how to pronounce Django Reinhardt's last name and muffed it. :(
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I'll be honest. I made a quick jump to Truman and Nixon never entered my mind.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I watched this at halftime of the football game, hoping to take my mind of the horror I watched.

Nixon was an instaget for me and was surprised so many said Truman.

Glad to see a repeat champ but not a strong effort from him.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

acthomas wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:09 pm
dhkendall wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:05 pm Btw, it's supposed to be "ZEER-o-eth", not "ZEE-roth", right? Have I been pronouncing it wrong all this time?
You were correct. I giggled a little at it.
I've always pronounced it "ZEE-rowth" (two syllables, second one rhymes with "both"). Alex pronounced it "ZEE-rawth" (second syllable rhyming with "moth").

I remember seeing Nixon's resignation on TV, but I didn't get FJ--somehow thought that he'd cease being president when he resigned. I said Clinton.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

As a scientist, I can confirm that your pronunciation is indeed correct.

Anywho, I typically like or at least don't mind contestants who show personality and quirks, from Austin Rogers on back, but Jamie audibly cheering for herself after every single correct answer crossed into the realm of irritating.

I think she allowed enthusiasm to get the best of her, too; her response on the third DD was almost instant, instead of using her time on it. Had she got it correct, she would have been the champion.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:41 pm Instaget FJ, then immediately doubted myself, wondering if Missouri was the bigger hint,
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:23 pm then I had to spend a bunch of time convincing myself that the current President attends the inauguration of his successor. To become an ex-President while flying would have to be an unusual event, like, say, a resignation.
Switching to the wrong answer would've annoyed me for weeks.
I'm going to be annoyed, albeit mildly and inconsequentially annoyed, for about a week and a half.

My first thought was Nixon because "It must be a President who didn't attend an inauguration, who would that be?"

And then I narrowed it down to "It must be a President who was alive during the time of flight, and they mentioned Missouri so there must be a Missouri connection" and I got it wrong.

I researched it a little bit and Nixon is not the only President to skip an inauguration. I can't even find a complete list but at least one article I read says that it used to be common to snub the outgoing President and that FDR changed the tradition.

Throwing Missouri into the clue really distracted me from the correct answer.

I missed the effigy clue, oops.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The clue said it was a six-letter word; your pronunciation makes it seven. "ZEER-oath" is more like it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

nlw44 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:45 pm but my understanding is that Ford really became the president and Nixon became an ex-president the moment Nixon's letter of resignation was accepted by Kissinger. The timing of the oath of office should be immaterial.
Correct.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 pm Jamie Rosler won $100,000 a couple years ago on Millionaire.
She also appeared on The The Chase tho I don't know the date.
OCSam
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:44 pm
I researched it a little bit and Nixon is not the only President to skip an inauguration. I can't even find a complete list but at least one article I read says that it used to be common to snub the outgoing President and that FDR changed the tradition.
How could FDR do that? He died in office. So I'm sure he didn't attend HST's swearing in. Maybe by inviting (so and so?, his predecessor) to his?

This FJ is fraught with loopholes and technicalities. Gotta just roll with it and pick the apocryphal version which is probably based on the change of Airplane call sign. This Missourian picked Nixon as instaget and was surprised fellow Baby Boomer Dave overthought it, or just never heard the plane story.

I loved the Roman Numeral category, but did poorly as I didn't compose the list in my head. Seeing Thermodynamics made me as happy as a Clavin with a Celibacy category! The way Alex pronounced zeroth made me wonder if he even knew it was numeral based. Dave scooped up the only slightly technical answer - I wonder if entropy is just an intellectual vocabulary word just like I use "piquant" or "banal" just to be sesquipedalian? (or cromulent and woke, just to be hip :lol: )

Jamie was fun to watch, but after watching the Chiefs collapse Saturday, I had flashbacks with her bets and her guesses. I'm glad she has gotten a good payday from Millionaire and had herself another 15 minutes of fame. Brandon is very likeable - I hope he gets stronger every day.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
hscer

Post by hscer »

FJ poll should have "I considered Clinton but not Nixon" option. (Hi.)
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 pm "Heresy" was also extremely tough for $200. Can we poll that?
Was thinking something along the lines of "Reformation" first, but that was too long, then I had to simplify my answer to "heresy." Still got it before the time was over.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 pm I didn't have a single bit of recognition in the Musicals category. Evita was a musical?!
There was even a movie starring Madonna. The most famous song is "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina." But I got it on a mention of Buenos Aires. (Are you familiar with this movie, but not that there was singing in it? I've actually never seen the movie, though. I just know this song.)

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 pm England had a civil war?!? How was I supposed to figure that one out?!
I didn't get the category straight for the first two or so clues, so I was trying to figure out if this were War of the Roses or the English Civil War. It would have been obvious had I been paying attention to the oxymoron part, I guess. (The English Civil War is when Cromwell overthrew the monarchy and the reign of Charles I. The rule of the Cromwell and the Parliament lasted about a decade, until Charles II was installed and the monarchy re-established.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 pm "Pointed weapon" was massive negbait for sword. After it was negged, I had no idea what to guess.
As somebody noted earlier, spears were popular weapons among the Zulu, so South Africa + pointed weapon should suggest that. I guess not enough people play Civilization and know about the Zulu special unit, the Impi, which is armed with a spear and a shield.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

tiwonge wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:43 pm There was even a movie starring Madonna. The most famous song is "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina." But I got it on a mention of Buenos Aires. (Are you familiar with this movie, but not that there was singing in it? I've actually never seen the movie, though. I just know this song.)
I know the movie with Madonna. I know the song "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina." What I did NOT know was the musical.