Tuesday, January 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7672, 2018-01-09

CONTESTANTS
Matt Brannagan, a high school history teacher from Bowie, Maryland
Lindsay Resnick, an archivist from Atlanta, Georgia
Brandon Brooks, an HR manager from Chicago, Illinois (whose 2-day cash winnings total $27,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome. He's done it on two consecutive games of Jeopardy! How is Brandon going to surprise himself today? You're having fun though, right?

Brandon: I'm having a blast.

Alex: Okay. Lindsay and Matt, good to have you with us also. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. I hope all three of you like these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT "A" COUNTRY? (5/5)
SHOES (4/5)
TOTALLY '80s WORDS! (5/5)
POP CULTURE VILLAINS (3/5)
BUGS MEANIE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LAX LUTHER (1/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brandon: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Lindsay: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Matt: 8 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $3,000
Lindsay: $2,600
Brandon: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Matt Brannagan is from Bowie, Maryland. And if I were to say you are obsessed with one person in life, you would respond...

Matt: James Bond.

Alex: Bond.

Matt: Bond. James Bond.

Alex: James Bond. Why?

Matt: I don't know. I just--growing up with my dad, it was our favorite movies. I have every one on Blu-Ray. The great--my favorite of all time. I watch them all the time.

Alex: Of all of the actors who have played--

Matt: Roger Moore.

Alex: Rog--

Matt: Roger Moore.

Alex: And Roger Moore had a sense of humor that perhaps the others have not displayed quite as much.

Matt: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Lindsay Resnick is from Atlanta, Georgia. You have the same birthday as your mom?

Lindsay: I do.

Alex: That doesn't happen all that often.

Lindsay: No. She says I was the best birthday present she ever got. Aw.

Alex: Aw. That's about as sweet as it gets. Do you have any brothers and sisters?

Lindsay: I have a younger brother. His name is David, and he's 23 years old.

Alex: And is he here cheering you on today?

Lindsay: No, he's not. He wasn't able to take off from work.

Alex: Ah. Too bad. Okay. But he'll be watching at home.

Lindsay: Definitely.

Alex: Brandon Brooks is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. Just ran his second marathon?

Brandon: Yeah, so--

Alex: What got you into that?

Brandon: Well, I was a fat kid who never ran before. And uh, actually, long story short, someone told me I couldn't run. And so two years ago I started running. And I ran my first one last year--Chicago Marathon--second one I did in 2017, and I improved my time by 17 minutes.

Alex: Terrific.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brandon found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Brandon had $1,200, Lindsay had $1,800, and Matt was at $2,200. Brandon made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

BUGS MEANIE $400: If an Africanized colony of these is disturbed & in a bad mood, you may meet 10,000 of them in 15 seconds

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POP CULTURE VILLAINS $800: Calvin Candie in this movie was the first villain Quentin Tarantino said he'd written that he hated
(Matt: What is Reservoir Dogs?)
(Lindsay: What is Pulp Fiction?)

POP CULTURE VILLAINS $1000: As Victor Kiriakis on "Days of Our Lives", this father of a TV star has put in 30-plus years of all kinds of villainy

BUGS MEANIE $1000: The book of Joel says, "That which" this bug left "hath the cankerworm eaten" & what was still left, hath the caterpillar eaten
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SHOES $800: This shoe brand that expanded into handbags & other accessories was named for its original address on 57th St. in NYC
(Matt: What is Coach?)

LAX LUTHER $800: Luther mocked a friend who could only drink down to the top ring in a special wine mug, representing this, AKA the Decalogue
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brandon: $4,000
Lindsay: $3,400
Matt: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A BOUNTY OF BAHNEN (3/5)
THE DONALD (2/5)
MUSICAL GUEST PERFORMERS (4/5)
A BIT OF LIT (2/2)
IOWA HISTORY (3/5)
WHAT IN TARNATION? (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response will be made up of some of the letters in the word "tarnation".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brandon: 7 R, 1 W
Matt: 7 R, 3 W
Lindsay: 4 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lindsay snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Brandon had $8,800, Lindsay had $9,000, and Matt was at $600. Lindsay wagered $2,000.

WHAT IN TARNATION? $2000: Named for a son of Poseidon, it's Neptune's largest moon
(Lindsay: I don't know.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE DONALD $1200: Remember the Bugs Meanie category? Bugs bullied this supersmart boy detective created by Donald Sobol

THE DONALD $1600: In "Singin' in the Rain", this song-&-dance man made us laugh with "Make 'Em Laugh"
(Matt: Um... who is Gene...)

THE DONALD $2000: With college friend Walter Becker, he founded Steely Dan

IOWA HISTORY $1200: In 2011 Iowa got its first whitewater rafting park, naturally on this river with well-known rapids
(Brandon: What is the Des Moines River?)

A BOUNTY OF BAHNEN $1600: The "O" in Adelaide's track-guided O-Bahn Busway came from this word
(Matt: What is overland?)

MUSICAL GUEST PERFORMERS $2000: Guests of this group whose name is a colorful cocktail include the von Trapps, Carol Channing & Mamie Van Doren

IOWA HISTORY $800: In 1873 near Adair, Iowa, this outlaw & his gang hit the Rock Island line in the "first train robbery in the West"
(Matt: Who is Billy the Kid?)

A BOUNTY OF BAHNEN $2000: Depending on the city, the "S" in S-Bahn can stand for Stadt ("city") or for this German word for "fast"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brandon: $9,600
Lindsay: $7,000
Matt: $2,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE FIRST CENTURY A.D.

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus third.
Brandon: Wager $4,400. Risk any less and Lindsay may overtake you if you both get it right; risk any more and Matt may overtake you if you get it wrong.
Lindsay: Wager all $7,000. If Brandon bets correctly, then you'll tie for the win if you both get the correct response.
Matt: Wager all $2,600, and you have a hope of snatching up a tie for first with Brandon if you're the only one to provide the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Letters written by this Roman recount the events of a natural disaster, like the death of his uncle, a famous scholar

FINAL SCORES
Matt: $2,600 + $2,600 = $5,200 (Who is Pliny?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lindsay: $7,000 + $3,001 = $10,001 (Who was Pliny?) (New champion: $10,001)
Brandon: $9,600 - $4,401 = $5,199 (Who is Socrates?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: [To Matt] It was [*], writing about the eruption of Mount Vesuvius.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $16,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lindsay: $9,000, 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Brandon: $8,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Matt: $2,600, 15 R, 6 W
Combined Coryat: $20,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 16/58 = .276
Brandon: 15/59 = .254
Lindsay: 11/59 = .186
Team: 42/63 = .667

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TOTALLY '80s WORDS! $400: Whether to the max or not, this word for disgusting comes from "grotesque"
(Brandon: What is gross?)

SHOES $400: This last name of Signor Salvatore, a theatrical-shoe repairman, has long been on dance shoes
(Matt: What is Ferragamo?)
(Brandon: What is ballet?)

THE DONALD $800: Before his first stint as Secretary of Defense, he was White House Chief of Staff

MUSICAL GUEST PERFORMERS $800: This tennis star with 20+ Grand Slam singles titles was onstage in Oct. 2016, twerking to Beyonce singing "Sorry"
(Brandon: Who is Williams?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Brandon: [*]?)

A BIT OF LIT $400: The name of the island in the title of this Dumas novel came from a speck in the ocean off the island of Elba
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

A BOUNTY OF BAHNEN $800: Wuppertal's Schwebebahn is from the word "schweben", meaning to do this in the air, like a balloon, perhaps

CORRECT RESPONSES
(killer) bees
Django Unchained
John Aniston
the locust
Nine West
the Ten Commandments
Triton
Encyclopedia Brown
Donald O'Connor
Donald Fagen
the Cedar River
omnibus
Pink Martini
Jesse James
schnell
Pliny the Younger
grody
Capezio
Rumsfeld
Serena Williams
The Count of Monte Cristo
float (or hover)
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE FIRST CENTURY A.D.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Letters written by this Roman recount the events of a natural disaster, like the death of his uncle, a famous scholar

Brandon Brooks: 9600-4401=5199
Lindsay Resnick: 7000+3001=10001 (New Champ)
Matt Brannagan: 2600+2600=5200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pliny (the Younger) (Brandon – Socrates)

Daily Doubles
Brandon: 1200+1200
Lindsay: 9000-2000
DD3: Not Uncovered

Coryats
Brandon: 8800
Lindsay: 9000
Matt: 2600

Combined: 20,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Brandon: 4000
Lindsay: 3400
Matt: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

THE DONALD had a couple of stumpers ripe for the 4th podium. First the players could not connect the BUGS MEANIE category from the J! round to Bugs (Meany) from the Donald Sobol detective books and then there was silence to name the Donald that went with Walter Becker to make Steely Dan.

If you want to sneak a last name only by Alex you have to do it with confidence. Brandon was not even close with his uncertainty on, “Who is Williams?” Definitely a BMS on that one.

Back to six clues not played including DD3. Not good.

The FJ! clue had me sure of the guy and then I had to decide whether to add the specification. I went for the complete response while anticipating that the judges would accept the shorter response that Lindsay & Matt ended up writing.

I noticed the scoreboard showed the possibility of a 5200-5200 finish or Brandon losing by a buck. That scenario was gone when Lindsay’s correct response was shown. And the carousel is open for business again.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 22, W: 3, costing 2600
Coryat: 15,400
DD: 1/2
FJ: :(
LT: locust, 10 commandments, schnell

High school German classes paid off with the ability to translate fast to schnell. A working knowledge of Hogan's Heroes would be an adequate substitute.

I'm a bit bummed that the J! round clues left uncovered were all in the Luther category. I could have picked up another answer or three there. The missed Literature questions in the DJ round were fine with me. :)

Guessed Cicero for FJ. Researching after watching the show tells me I was one century too early. I suppose someone else is going to tell me he didn't have a famous uncle, either. I'm claiming a small victory in that I could name a Roman from something close to the right time period. Hopefully I can remember these little tidbits for later use.

I had to laugh a bit when Lindsay took up a drawl when picking a clue in the Tarnation category. You gotta have your fun where you can.
--Peter
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Because I don't get a chance to tell this joke very often--what Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band song was on Pliny the Elder's lips when he died?
Spoiler
Lava's Getting Deeper ("Love Is Getting Deeper"--it's meant to be told, not written)
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I went with Josephus.

I was randomly thinking about Donald Fagen earlier today, and here he shows up.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I said "Pliny the Younger". I didn't learn anything about Pliny in school - this is a Jeopardy learned fact for me.

When "Bugs Meanie" was revealed, I said out loud that I thought an Encyclopedia Brown joke was kind of obscure, so I liked that they referenced it later.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Every beer geek in the audience got tonight's Final Jeopardy.

Pliny the Younger is a triple IPA brewed by Russian River Brewing Company. It is released on the first Friday in February (mark your calendars, girls and boys!) and is available for only two weeks of the year. People from all over North America make the trek to Santa Rosa and line up for it.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $22,400
DDs: 1/2
LT: The Ten Commandments, Jesse James
FJ!: :mrgreen:

Pliny the Elder came to mind talking about Vesuvius. Figured there had to have been a Pliny the Younger, otherwise the Elder would just be Pliny.

Should be 2/2 on DDs. I said "Titan" instead of "Triton". Titan is Saturn's largest moon. Damn.

ETA: Forgot Jesse James was also LT
Last edited by NoWhammies10 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

33 R
DD: 2/2
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Django Unchained, Ten Commandments, Encyclopedia Brown, Donald O'Connor, Omnibus, (Triton)

Other of my gets include Armenia, Christian Louboutin, and Sense and Sensibility.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I knew that the Decalogue is the Ten Commandments, but can anybody explain what the rest of that clue was about?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Cleanup on Aisle 4!
Django Unchained, Ten Commandments, Encyclopedia Brown, Donald Fagan, Triton DD, Jesse James, and schnell (thank you Hogan's Heroes) trash pickup.
Ran '80s words & What "A" country. FJ was a total SWAG, surprised they let just Pliny slide. :|
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm I had to laugh a bit when Lindsay took up a drawl when picking a clue in the Tarnation category. You gotta have your fun where you can.
Agreed. I was disappointed no one answered any of the 80s lingo clues in Valley Girlspeak.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Foretopman wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pm I knew that the Decalogue is the Ten Commandments, but can anybody explain what the rest of that clue was about?
Try this:
https://books.google.com/books?id=4xMaA ... er&f=false
--Peter
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:38 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm I had to laugh a bit when Lindsay took up a drawl when picking a clue in the Tarnation category. You gotta have your fun where you can.
Agreed. I was disappointed no one answered any of the 80s lingo clues in Valley Girlspeak.
'grody' would've been the perfect time to do it :P
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm
Guessed Cicero for FJ. Researching after watching the show tells me I was one century too early. I suppose someone else is going to tell me he didn't have a famous uncle, either. I'm claiming a small victory in that I could name a Roman from something close to the right time period. Hopefully I can remember these little tidbits for later use.
You did much better than Brandon then. Let's see...category and clue asks for a Roman from the 1st century AD. He gives a Greek from the 5th century BC. It's all too easy to bunch all ancient history into one big mass, but really, that mistake is like a clue asking for a 20th century American president and the contestant providing a European monarch from the 15th century.

Then again, I don't know that Brandon wasn't just stuck and going with the "at least write SOMETHING even if you know it's wrong" philosophy. And I have to confess that my knee-jerk response was Pompey the Younger - yes, apparently this person did exist, the son of Pompey the Great, close to the right time, too - until I realized my mistake in time and switched to Pliny the Younger.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:39 pm
Foretopman wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pm I knew that the Decalogue is the Ten Commandments, but can anybody explain what the rest of that clue was about?
Try this:
https://books.google.com/books?id=4xMaA ... er&f=false
Thank you. It makes more sense now.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Where did the writers get the idea that "grody" comes from "grotesque"? I always assumed it came from "gross" which is what it more or less means. American Heritage says it's "probably" an alteration of "grotty" which is a British slang alteration of "grotesque". I need them to show more work on this one before I believe it. Valley Girls wouldn't be familiar with British slang and don't know the word "grotesque".

Lach trash on Decalogue, Encyclopedia Brown (including recognizing the name Bugs Meanie when it first showed), and SCHNELL!!!! (which I know from Das Boot.) Would've gotten lach trash on Pink Martini if I could've convinced myself they were actually asking for something that obscure.

Ran the Donalds category although if I'd been playing for real, I might have chickened out on Donald Fagan. I own one Steely Dan CD (Aja) and just don't get their music at all. I don't hate it but it's like listening to nothing in particular.

Alex said "Singing in the Rain" when the clue said "Singin'".

Got Pliny the Younger. Do NOT agree with letting the contestants get away with just Pliny. That's an obvious case of BMS if I've ever seen one. What next? Will they accept "Who is Roosevelt?" "Who is Caesar?" In this case, the clue even mentioned PtheY's famous uncle so you wouldn't accidentally pick the wrong one.

Socrates wasn't the greatest guess on Brandon's part. Over 400 years too early and he didn't actually write anything. I predicted at the beginning of this show that Brandon was finally going to be on top going into FJ and then lose. He did not disappoint. :D Congrats to Brandon for being our first returning champ of 2018 and for being great fun to watch, especially on his first win. Congrats to Lindsay for hanging in there and pulling out a win.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:40 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:38 pm
'grody' would've been the perfect time to do it :P
Totally!