Tuesday, January 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:16 pm

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:16 pm

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:19 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE FIRST CENTURY A.D.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Letters written by this Roman recount the events of a natural disaster, like the death of his uncle, a famous scholar

Brandon Brooks: 9600-4401=5199
Lindsay Resnick: 7000+3001=10001 (New Champ)
Matt Brannagan: 2600+2600=5200

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Pliny (the Younger) (Brandon – Socrates)

Daily Doubles
Brandon: 1200+1200
Lindsay: 9000-2000
DD3: Not Uncovered

Coryats
Brandon: 8800
Lindsay: 9000
Matt: 2600

Combined: 20,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Brandon: 4000
Lindsay: 3400
Matt: 2200

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:20 pm

THE DONALD had a couple of stumpers ripe for the 4th podium. First the players could not connect the BUGS MEANIE category from the J! round to Bugs (Meany) from the Donald Sobol detective books and then there was silence to name the Donald that went with Walter Becker to make Steely Dan.

If you want to sneak a last name only by Alex you have to do it with confidence. Brandon was not even close with his uncertainty on, “Who is Williams?” Definitely a BMS on that one.

Back to six clues not played including DD3. Not good.

The FJ! clue had me sure of the guy and then I had to decide whether to add the specification. I went for the complete response while anticipating that the judges would accept the shorter response that Lindsay & Matt ended up writing.

I noticed the scoreboard showed the possibility of a 5200-5200 finish or Brandon losing by a buck. That scenario was gone when Lindsay’s correct response was shown. And the carousel is open for business again.

Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm

R: 22, W: 3, costing 2600
Coryat: 15,400
DD: 1/2
FJ: :(
LT: locust, 10 commandments, schnell

High school German classes paid off with the ability to translate fast to schnell. A working knowledge of Hogan's Heroes would be an adequate substitute.

I'm a bit bummed that the J! round clues left uncovered were all in the Luther category. I could have picked up another answer or three there. The missed Literature questions in the DJ round were fine with me. :)

Guessed Cicero for FJ. Researching after watching the show tells me I was one century too early. I suppose someone else is going to tell me he didn't have a famous uncle, either. I'm claiming a small victory in that I could name a Roman from something close to the right time period. Hopefully I can remember these little tidbits for later use.

I had to laugh a bit when Lindsay took up a drawl when picking a clue in the Tarnation category. You gotta have your fun where you can.
--Peter

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Because I don't get a chance to tell this joke very often--what Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band song was on Pliny the Elder's lips when he died?
SpoilerShow
Lava's Getting Deeper ("Love Is Getting Deeper"--it's meant to be told, not written)
I'm smart and I want respect.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:15 pm

I went with Josephus.

I was randomly thinking about Donald Fagen earlier today, and here he shows up.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:32 pm

I said "Pliny the Younger". I didn't learn anything about Pliny in school - this is a Jeopardy learned fact for me.

When "Bugs Meanie" was revealed, I said out loud that I thought an Encyclopedia Brown joke was kind of obscure, so I liked that they referenced it later.

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 pm

Every beer geek in the audience got tonight's Final Jeopardy.

Pliny the Younger is a triple IPA brewed by Russian River Brewing Company. It is released on the first Friday in February (mark your calendars, girls and boys!) and is available for only two weeks of the year. People from all over North America make the trek to Santa Rosa and line up for it.

NoWhammies10
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by NoWhammies10 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 pm

Coryat: $22,400
DDs: 1/2
LT: The Ten Commandments, Jesse James
FJ!: :mrgreen:

Pliny the Elder came to mind talking about Vesuvius. Figured there had to have been a Pliny the Younger, otherwise the Elder would just be Pliny.

Should be 2/2 on DDs. I said "Titan" instead of "Triton". Titan is Saturn's largest moon. Damn.

ETA: Forgot Jesse James was also LT
Last edited by NoWhammies10 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LucarioSnooperVixey
No Life

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:19 pm

33 R
DD: 2/2
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Django Unchained, Ten Commandments, Encyclopedia Brown, Donald O'Connor, Omnibus, (Triton)

Other of my gets include Armenia, Christian Louboutin, and Sense and Sensibility.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

Foretopman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Foretopman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pm

I knew that the Decalogue is the Ten Commandments, but can anybody explain what the rest of that clue was about?

DBear

Post by DBear » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Cleanup on Aisle 4!
Django Unchained, Ten Commandments, Encyclopedia Brown, Donald Fagan, Triton DD, Jesse James, and schnell (thank you Hogan's Heroes) trash pickup.
Ran '80s words & What "A" country. FJ was a total SWAG, surprised they let just Pliny slide. :|

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:38 pm

Peter the accountant wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm
I had to laugh a bit when Lindsay took up a drawl when picking a clue in the Tarnation category. You gotta have your fun where you can.
Agreed. I was disappointed no one answered any of the 80s lingo clues in Valley Girlspeak.

Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Foretopman wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pm
I knew that the Decalogue is the Ten Commandments, but can anybody explain what the rest of that clue was about?
Try this:
https://books.google.com/books?id=4xMaA ... er&f=false
--Peter

DBear

Post by DBear » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:40 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:38 pm
Agreed. I was disappointed no one answered any of the 80s lingo clues in Valley Girlspeak.
'grody' would've been the perfect time to do it :P

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Guessed Cicero for FJ. Researching after watching the show tells me I was one century too early. I suppose someone else is going to tell me he didn't have a famous uncle, either. I'm claiming a small victory in that I could name a Roman from something close to the right time period. Hopefully I can remember these little tidbits for later use.
You did much better than Brandon then. Let's see...category and clue asks for a Roman from the 1st century AD. He gives a Greek from the 5th century BC. It's all too easy to bunch all ancient history into one big mass, but really, that mistake is like a clue asking for a 20th century American president and the contestant providing a European monarch from the 15th century.

Then again, I don't know that Brandon wasn't just stuck and going with the "at least write SOMETHING even if you know it's wrong" philosophy. And I have to confess that my knee-jerk response was Pompey the Younger - yes, apparently this person did exist, the son of Pompey the Great, close to the right time, too - until I realized my mistake in time and switched to Pliny the Younger.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

Foretopman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Foretopman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:00 pm

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:39 pm
Foretopman wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pm
Try this:
https://books.google.com/books?id=4xMaA ... er&f=false
Thank you. It makes more sense now.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Where did the writers get the idea that "grody" comes from "grotesque"? I always assumed it came from "gross" which is what it more or less means. American Heritage says it's "probably" an alteration of "grotty" which is a British slang alteration of "grotesque". I need them to show more work on this one before I believe it. Valley Girls wouldn't be familiar with British slang and don't know the word "grotesque".

Lach trash on Decalogue, Encyclopedia Brown (including recognizing the name Bugs Meanie when it first showed), and SCHNELL!!!! (which I know from Das Boot.) Would've gotten lach trash on Pink Martini if I could've convinced myself they were actually asking for something that obscure.

Ran the Donalds category although if I'd been playing for real, I might have chickened out on Donald Fagan. I own one Steely Dan CD (Aja) and just don't get their music at all. I don't hate it but it's like listening to nothing in particular.

Alex said "Singing in the Rain" when the clue said "Singin'".

Got Pliny the Younger. Do NOT agree with letting the contestants get away with just Pliny. That's an obvious case of BMS if I've ever seen one. What next? Will they accept "Who is Roosevelt?" "Who is Caesar?" In this case, the clue even mentioned PtheY's famous uncle so you wouldn't accidentally pick the wrong one.

Socrates wasn't the greatest guess on Brandon's part. Over 400 years too early and he didn't actually write anything. I predicted at the beginning of this show that Brandon was finally going to be on top going into FJ and then lose. He did not disappoint. :D Congrats to Brandon for being our first returning champ of 2018 and for being great fun to watch, especially on his first win. Congrats to Lindsay for hanging in there and pulling out a win.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:02 pm

DBear wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:40 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:38 pm
'grody' would've been the perfect time to do it :P
Totally!