Wednesday, January 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:45 pm I'm surprised 2/3 had Warren but not Warner. As soon as I saw "Warren + ?" I said, "well, the other one must be Warner, because that's the only other name I can make out of those letters."
:shock: I think he's got it. By George, I think he's got it!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:45 pm I'm surprised 2/3 had Warren but not Warner. As soon as I saw "Warren + ?" I said, "well, the other one must be Warner, because that's the only other name I can make out of those letters."
:shock: I think he's got it. By George, I think he's got it!
Still didn't help me, because I had neither one within the 30 seconds.

Also, I have a lot of relatives with the last name Warner, so spotting the anagram was easy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:00 pm I blanked on Warren's name thanks in no small part to our crude POTUS' insults which dominated my retrieval process.
On a side note, a Trump press conference wiped out the show here.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:45 pm Why did the use a euphemism for "Hell" in Hand for $400? I've heard far saltier language not get bowdlerized.
Probably not for the sake of censorship but rather so as not to give the saying away as easily.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

boson wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:52 am
Golf wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:33 am
boson wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 am If you are going to miss FJ based on the category, then wagering 0 is the most reasont bet, no matter what place you are in.
If you have zero chance of answering correctly you wouldn't have been there in the first place.

Zero wagers have merit in certain situations, this is not one of them.
No smiley for my anagram? ;)
Oh man, I even noticed that spelling and it didn't click. Plus I had used my allotment of smileys yesterday.....

Very nice
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And now I'm all out of smileys for today.
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

Did Lindsey remind anyone of Sarah Huckabee Sanders?
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:37 am DOUBLE TALK $1200: would “no-no” be good for “matchy-matchy”?
Haha, I also went with "no-no", but was pretty sure they wouldn't have accepted it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

a1srvng wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:07 pm Did Lindsey remind anyone of Sarah Huckabee Sanders?
OMG 100% NO! NO! NO!

Also negged with napalm, thanks to recent viewing of The Night Manager - (shakes fist at Hugh Laurie)

Guessed wrong with Geek Love on the traveling circus book clue. Never read Water for Elephants, but in hindsight this was not a very good guess. According to J-Archive, they've asked for this book not once :(

Wonder if just Lindbergh would've been accepted for Anne Morrow Lindbergh, since just Custer was accepted earlier in the category

On that MARQUEE NAMES category, I was burned 3x by only coming up with half of the pair

I know Robert Redford but I always confuse him with Paul Newman - it's a faulty brain thing
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

twelvefootboy wrote: I blanked on Warren's name thanks in no small part to our crude POTUS' insults which dominated my retrieval process.
silverscreentest wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
tiwonge wrote: Last semester, I mentioned Tecumseh's curse to our team. But it did end with Reagan.
Unless you subscribe to the Zombie Reagan theory.
And the Android George W. Bush theory.
I got an idea, why not start a Republican president bashing thread?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re:

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 am
twelvefootboy wrote: I blanked on Warren's name thanks in no small part to our crude POTUS' insults which dominated my retrieval process.
silverscreentest wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
tiwonge wrote: Last semester, I mentioned Tecumseh's curse to our team. But it did end with Reagan.
Uhh, are you aware of what the Tecumseh Curse is? It’s supposedly a curse placed by Native American Chief Tecumseh that ill will befall presidents elected in years divisible by 20, the first being Tecumseh’s foe at Tippecanoe, WH Harrison. This surprisingly held true in 1860 (Lincoln), 1880 (Garfield), 1900 (McKinley), 1920 (Harding), 1940 (F Roosevelt) and 1960 (JFK), all of whom died in office (as well as all four assassinated presidents). The next two (Reagan and GW Bush) both beat the curse (if there ever was one). Note that it’s a complete coincidence these two are Republicans, and boardies are humourously extrapolating that maybe they did fall victim to the curse and we just saw zombies and androids. If the 2020 President also lives through their term and they are a Democrat, would you assume we were Democrat bashing?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
twelvefootboy

Re: Re:

Post by twelvefootboy »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:52 am
Category 13 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 am
silverscreentest wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Uhh, are you aware of what the Tecumseh Curse is? It’s supposedly a curse placed by Native American Chief Tecumseh that ill will befall presidents elected in years divisible by 20, the first being Tecumseh’s foe at Tippecanoe, WH Harrison. This surprisingly held true in 1860 (Lincoln), 1880 (Garfield), 1900 (McKinley), 1920 (Harding), 1940 (F Roosevelt) and 1960 (JFK), all of whom died in office (as well as all four assassinated presidents). The next two (Reagan and GW Bush) both beat the curse (if there ever was one). Note that it’s a complete coincidence these two are Republicans, and boardies are humourously extrapolating that maybe they did fall victim to the curse and we just saw zombies and androids. If the 2020 President also lives through their term and they are a Democrat, would you assume we were Democrat bashing?
Thanks DHK for the wacko conspiracy theory refresher - I'd forgotten about this meme. I couldn't tell if Cat13 was for or against a GOP POTUS bashing thread, but my statement was apolitical. I blame myself for letting "Pocahontas" dominate my cerebral cortex, but even after stopping and rebooting I negged on the acronym for Warner. That said, I did place the adjective "crude" where it belongs :). If the stable genius shoe fits, then own the s**thole. :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.