Wednesday, January 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse »

spell4yr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 pm I'm surprised how difficult the FJ is seeming to be. Warren came to mind early on, and then it was very easy to move over to the other senator.

I'd be curious, of those who got the correct answer, how many started with Warren and how many with Warner.
Started with Warren. I actually initially thought of Warner before anything else, but I couldn't remember if he was a Senator or a Governor, so I immediately headed to Massachusetts.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

29 R
DD: 1/2
FJ: No way man!
LT: Buddy Holly, (James Garfield), Lindbergh?, Maggie Smith & Michael Caine

Other of my gets include Handrail, Baden Baden, and Humbert Humbert.

I thought stevedore had to do with ships.

Should have gotten Spanish Civil War, but the names didn't sound Spanish at all.

"Like Water for Chocolate" is by Laura Esquivel
Douglas Squasoni
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

nlw44 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:22 pm
Lefty wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:47 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 pm Tricky FJ as Warner just isn't in the news very much. Unless you live in VA or the DC area, or are a political junkie - I'm guessing this polls fairly low and I'm not surprised none of the contestants got it. Gilbert did a good job to come up with an actual name to counter Kaine - pretty impressive for an incorrect response!
He is well known as Larry Fortensky's predecessor. Granted, that was a long time ago and I wasn't sure he was still alive, but once I thought of him, the anagram wasn't hard to figure.
Wrong Warner from Virginia. Elizabeth Taylor's husband was John Warner, who is no longer a senator. The relevant one here is Mark Warner. I don't think they are related.
Thanks. I guess I was lucky. Maybe the Warner name is gold in Virginia, like Lee used to be (or could they be the Warner Brothers?).

I remember a story of an unrelated-to-the-others Kennedy who, without any political experience, ran for some office in Massachusetts while the famous Kennedys were. Did practically no campaigning and spent about $150, mainly on his modest victory party.

As I go to press, I have just checked and found the story here . I had suspected it might be a myth.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Lindsay corrected Alex during the interview and it was all downhill from there.
All three players were personable for me to root for them. Too bad two of them had to lose.

I didn't get the Warren Harding clue but evidently the TOM must have been something to do with the 'smoke filled room', as the bit about the 20th century seemed to just throw people off.

Also, I didn't catch the entire wording of the Buddy Holly clue, so could someone post that up? Lindsay's guess of RIchie Valenz was a poor choice, since he was only 17 years old and not likely to be married.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sigh. Mark Warner. A co-worker left the company we were working for, and went to work for Mark Warner's company. I asked him a few times to see if he could take me with him. He never did, unfortunately, and literally made many millions working for Warner. I would have done really, really well, too, if I had been working there. One of the big regrets in my life. That, plus the fact that my fiancee works for the two FJ subjects, meant that it was, needless to say, an instaget.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:07 pm I didn't get the Warren Harding clue but evidently the TOM must have been something to do with the 'smoke filled room', as the bit about the 20th century seemed to just throw people off.
I read a Harding biography a few years ago. He came from out of nowhere to become a compromise candidate several days into the convention. The deal was brokered in what was quite literally a smoke filled hotel room.
Golf

Post by Golf »

boson wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 pm I would have wagered zero to begin with and had a lovely doodle for the world to see had I been up there.
Interesting wager from second or third. Or first for that matter.

Sounds like to some of you anagrams of senator is Jeopardy treason. 8-) 8-) 8-)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:35 pm
boson wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 pm I would have wagered zero to begin with and had a lovely doodle for the world to see had I been up there.

Have a heart, Golf; give them a chance to be atoners as well.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Just the other day, the $2000 clue in "Anagrammed Names" from the Rutter/Frates/Cooper M$M semifinal popped into my head, making tonight's FJ an instaget:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=560
Golf

Post by Golf »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:44 pm

:D :D :D
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I blanked on Warren's name thanks in no small part to our crude POTUS' insults which dominated my retrieval process. Paused DVD just to work it out, and out-thought the need to jumble the name. This FJ was asking a lot to get the puzzle pieces, solve them, and write them down. No wonder you contenders practice this at home! Incredible guess of Kaine and Aiken under pressure.

My wife named Redford but I wouldn't have, and I have replaced his visage with the old guy of today. And she didn't agree that the picture looked just like me, only not as handsome :lol: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Also, I didn't catch the entire wording of the Buddy Holly clue, so could someone post that up? Lindsay's guess of RIchie Valenz was a poor choice, since he was only 17 years old and not likely to be married.
[/quote]

I can't remember the wording either but it definitely pointed to the crash that took the lives of Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Richie Valens (not Valenz, and actually Ricardo Valenzuela) so Valens wasn't a horrible guess. You have to be old like me to recall that he was only 17. For the last 30 years or so, there's been an annual memorial concert held close to the anniversary date (Feb 2) of the crash. It's held at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake Iowa, where they played their last concert before chartering a small plane to take them to their next gig. I attended a few years ago (good grief, make that 20 years ago!) and had a terrific time. Highly recommended!
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

spell4yr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 pm I'd be curious, of those who got the correct answer, how many started with Warren and how many with Warner.
I started trying to think of a VA senator, came up with nothing and then got Warren quickly when I switched to MA. The names were close enough that I was able to remember Mark Warner although I had no idea he was still a senator.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:25 pm The powers could anticipate all of the screaming about The Twilight Zone category not finished and added a pop-up graphic too see it here: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/features/unused-clues
Or, if you believe in conspiracy theories: "Twilight Zone" reruns and "Jeopardy!" are both distributed by CBS, so it served as additional advertising engagement for the company.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:25 pm I’m with Alex in being in disbelief that no one could identify the picture one of the most famous actors of all time. It has to be one of those monitor distance things that handicap the players on stage or being thrown by the category and not knowing he appeared in the Serling series.
Guess they didn't do the LL Twilight Zone 1D either (would November have predated taping?)

Instafinal, started with Warren and it was a very quick hop to Warner thanks to his Capitalism 2.0 shoutout picking up a little news (...also November. Huh.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Twilight Zone (2), Asia (4), Game (2), Widow (4), Weapon (3), "HAND" (5)
History (3), Marquee (2), Fiction (0), Smoke (3), Double (2), Job (0)

Lach Trash: Buddy Holly, mind; Daily Doubles: James Garfield, Spanish Civil War

I remembered Warren pretty quickly for Massachusetts; with Virginia, I then remembered the Warner name by thinking of both the current senator Mark and the older senator John. I don't know much else about Mark Warner, but I must have read or seen the name before, and I remember John Warner being one of Elizabeth Taylor's husbands.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

spell4yr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 pm I'd be curious, of those who got the correct answer, how many started with Warren and how many with Warner.
Warren first, although I knew Warner as well.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Do you think the idea of being allowed to reuse letters resonates with any of them?
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

My girlfriend when the FJ category was revealed; "if they don't know Presidents, how are they going to get Senators?"

The Twilight Zone clues were a treat; thanks to MarkBarrett for posting a link to the uncovered clue.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 pm Tricky FJ as Warner just isn't in the news very much. Unless you live in VA or the DC area, or are a political junkie - I'm guessing this polls fairly low and I'm not surprised none of the contestants got it. Gilbert did a good job to come up with an actual name to counter Kaine - pretty impressive for an incorrect response!
Ironically, Warren and Warner were on CNN together this very morning, talking about their joint bill to prevent Equifax/Experion etc from making money out of data protection failures. The host even commented on their similar surnames. So when the FJ clue appeared and I saw MA, I instantly thought of Warren and got to Warner less than a second later.

And I was impressed with Kaine/Aiken as well.