Thursday, January 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

A peculiar FJ. If Manchester By the Sea had been streamed simultaneously with a theatrical release (or given a limited release only to qualify for Oscars), that would have been significant, changing the business model. (Netflix tried this with the aforementioned Beasts of No Nation in 2015, but got no Oscar noms...) But MBTS played in a lot of theaters before going on the streaming service. Who cares who produced or distributed it? Amazon Prime members, maybe, but not me and I've actually heard of and seen it.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:55 pm A peculiar FJ. If Manchester By the Sea had been streamed simultaneously with a theatrical release (or given a limited release only to qualify for Oscars), that would have been significant, changing the business model. (Netflix tried this with the aforementioned Beasts of No Nation in 2015, but got no Oscar noms...) But MBTS played in a lot of theaters before going on the streaming service. Who cares who produced or distributed it? Amazon Prime members, maybe, but not me and I've actually heard of and seen it.
Good point, but given the game situation, only Julie could really have been expected to answer "Who cares?"

The show often fails when they try to be hip or current.
I'm smart and I want respect.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:46 am
IronNeck wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:54 am
guessonguessonguess wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 am It's a perfectly fine clue, you just approached it poorly. Worthy did not hit the championship-winning shot against Georgetown in 1982 and, since Jordan is part of the 15-member "All-Time March Madness" team while Worthy is not, you can hardly argue that the latter part of the clue "more accurately" applies to Worthy.
Right; what percentage of people, even among those that follow college hoops, can tell you off the top of their head who is on the "All-Time March Madness" team? Maybe 1%? It was a major negbait for Worthy, which I doubt the writers intended, considering their sports questions are usually trivial from top to bottom, including this stack.
I think it was one of those clues where knowing too much was a disadvantage. Most people are going to think of Jordan right away, but those with substantial college basketball knowledge are going to think "...but what about James Worthy?" And it's not like Worthy is too obscure for consideration. He's in both the college and NBA Halls of Fame and was the MVP of the 1982 tournament.
This is a very poor summation. It absolutely was not a clue were too much knowledge was a disadvantage. It was a clue where one person, IronNeck, got it wrong and then came up with this elaborate excuse, in what I can only imagine is an effort to “let himself off the hook” for the miss.

Anyone who has enough knowledge of the time period to claim to know the relative merits of the college careers of both Jordan and Worthy should 100% know that Jordan hit the game-winning shot against Georgetown. Anyone claiming otherwise is either trolling or simply likes to hear themselves speak.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:06 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:46 am
IronNeck wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:54 am
guessonguessonguess wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 am It's a perfectly fine clue, you just approached it poorly. Worthy did not hit the championship-winning shot against Georgetown in 1982 and, since Jordan is part of the 15-member "All-Time March Madness" team while Worthy is not, you can hardly argue that the latter part of the clue "more accurately" applies to Worthy.
Right; what percentage of people, even among those that follow college hoops, can tell you off the top of their head who is on the "All-Time March Madness" team? Maybe 1%? It was a major negbait for Worthy, which I doubt the writers intended, considering their sports questions are usually trivial from top to bottom, including this stack.
I think it was one of those clues where knowing too much was a disadvantage. Most people are going to think of Jordan right away, but those with substantial college basketball knowledge are going to think "...but what about James Worthy?" And it's not like Worthy is too obscure for consideration. He's in both the college and NBA Halls of Fame and was the MVP of the 1982 tournament.
This is a very poor summation. It absolutely was not a clue were too much knowledge was a disadvantage. It was a clue where one person, IronNeck, got it wrong and then came up with this elaborate excuse, in what I can only imagine is an effort to “let himself off the hook” for the miss.

Anyone who has enough knowledge of the time period to claim to know the relative merits of the college careers of both Jordan and Worthy should 100% know that Jordan hit the game-winning shot against Georgetown. Anyone claiming otherwise is either trolling or simply likes to hear themselves speak.
Jeff, I know you've had a publicly stated, running vendetta against me, but this is still a very embarrassing response, even ignoring your various insults towards me. Kirk's summation is not "very poor", but exactly how I feel about the question and missing it.

And yes, I know Jordan hit the game-winning shot. Problem is, I latched onto the second half of the clue instead of the first, and when I think of early 80s UNC legends with legendary March Madness performances, my mind automatically thinks of Worthy. Obviously, if I had 15 seconds to think about the clue instead of the 5 seconds watching the show, I would have gotten it correct.

Pointing out the negbait in the clue is standard fare, and I followed up on it mostly because it's been years since I've discussed basketball, something I used to be obsessed with doing in my teens, and enjoyed doing it again.

As for letting myself "off the hook", this is one of the silliest accusations I've read in a while. I have brain freezes, yell out awful wrong answers, and miss easy clues all the time. Why in the world would I have to make "elaborate excuses" for this, especially when there is nothing on the line, and no one here particularly cares...except for you?
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:16 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:51 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm If Fred Brown doesn’t loose his head, the game perhaps has a different ending and Mike Jordan’s basket is just a footnote in his career.
Just how loose was it?
So loose he popped it right off and passed it to James Worthy.
Who immediately sunk the 3 pointer. :D
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 22, W:4, costing 4400
Coryat: 9400
FJ: :(
DD: 0/3
LT: brass, white knight, stereo

Did decently in the J! round, running Post Apocalypse and what we saw of Plumbing. DJ! was pretty bad. 2 wrongs in Mythology before I clammed up. 4/5 in the rhymes, but only one in the rest of the categories, along with a neg at the bottom of Americana.

I have heard of "Manchester", but had no idea how it was distributed. Didn't guess it - or anything for that matter. I'm not claiming the error in the clue affected me.
--Peter
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:29 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:16 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:51 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm If Fred Brown doesn’t loose his head, the game perhaps has a different ending and Mike Jordan’s basket is just a footnote in his career.
Just how loose was it?
So loose he popped it right off and passed it to James Worthy.
Who immediately sunk the 3 pointer. :D
That's what I call letting the other guy get a head! :mrgreen:
Spoiler
Yeah yeah. It only let the other guy STAY ahead. That's not as funny. Michael Jordan ruined my joke.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ops!!! (Spelled that way to balance out the extra o).