Thursday, January 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Thursday, January 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:12 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:30 am Someone tell me how a person who works in a church managed to forget what the freaking Apostles' Creed is called...
Inferior church. You should switch. :D
It might be the constant switching between the Apostles' and Nicene Creed that gummed up my thinking.

At least we "The Father uncreated; the Son uncreated; and the Holy Ghost uncreated. The Father unlimited; the Son unlimited; and the Holy Ghost unlimited. The Father eternal; the Son eternal; and the Holy Ghost eternal. The Father redundant; the Son redundant; and the Holy Ghost redundant... And yet they are not three Gods; but one God. So likewise the Father is Lord; the Son Lord; and the Holy Ghost Lord. And yet not three Lords; but one Lord. And so likewise is this creed not horribly redundant, it is likewise horribly redundant. I mean, co-equal? How can things not be quantifiably more or less equal? Is that not the most tautological word you've ever heard in your life? And is it not the most tautological word the Father has heard in His life? And is it not the most tautological word the Son has heard in His life? And is it not the most tautological word the Holy Ghost has heard in His life? HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead."
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:12 am .
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:30 amI didn't realize anyone other than Netflix was making movies online. Amazon makes movies too?!
They don't. They just distribute them. :D :D
That's probably what stopped my thinking. I could think only of Netflix original movies, which I know exist because I saw (and loved) Bright. But I couldn't think of any others that would've been "big" enough to get awards -- and I dunno if Bright will either, since it was pretty hated by critics.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:52 am
boson wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:05 am
Volante wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:18 am While I didn't remember Amazon distributing Manchester by the Sea, I was fairly certain it wasn't produced by them because if Amazon (co)produced Manchester, someone from Amazon would have been up for sharing the Best Picture Oscar, and I know I would have remembered that.
Well, maybe you would have remembered that, however Manchester by the Sea didn't win best picture. It won best actor and screenplay - neither of which go to the producer.

I guessed 'The Big Sick' which I knew was wrong (not that good a movie, and just came out in 2017). It was, however, distributed by Amazon as well. I got my one month of free Amazon prime at Christmas to ship gifts, and watched this on their service.
I know Manchester didn't win Best Picture. But they do release the list of nominees:
Lauren Beck (K Period Media), Matt Damon (Matt Damon), Chris Moore (The Media Farm), Kimberly Steward (K Period Media) and Kevin J. Walsh (B Story). No one from Amazon. If Amazon coproduced it, in one of those parentheticals would also be Amazon and, and here's where my memory hypothesis comes in play, there would have been a lot of coverage about that.
Oops - sorry, misread your original post!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:29 pm
Hey! This is the Internet! No politeness allowed!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:53 pm
We'll get a dislike button before we get a like button.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

harrumph wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:11 pm
We'll get a dislike button before we get a like button.
Dislike.jpeg
Dislike.jpeg (5.52 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:52 am I know Manchester didn't win Best Picture. But they do release the list of nominees:
Lauren Beck (K Period Media), Matt Damon (Matt Damon), Chris Moore (The Media Farm), Kimberly Steward (K Period Media) and Kevin J. Walsh (B Story). No one from Amazon. If Amazon coproduced it, in one of those parentheticals would also be Amazon and, and here's where my memory hypothesis comes in play, there would have been a lot of coverage about that.
Wiki says that the film was produced by K Period Media, B Story, CMP, Pearl Street Films, and The A / Middleton Project. So it may not be the case that Amazon would appear in the parenthetical even if it had been one of the producers.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

So why aren't you calling him and idiot? What are you, stupid?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 pm At least we "The Father uncreated; the Son uncreated; and the Holy Ghost uncreated. The Father unlimited; the Son unlimited; and the Holy Ghost unlimited. The Father eternal; the Son eternal; and the Holy Ghost eternal. The Father redundant; the Son redundant; and the Holy Ghost redundant... And yet they are not three Gods; but one God. So likewise the Father is Lord; the Son Lord; and the Holy Ghost Lord. And yet not three Lords; but one Lord. And so likewise is this creed not horribly redundant, it is likewise horribly redundant. I mean, co-equal? How can things not be quantifiably more or less equal? Is that not the most tautological word you've ever heard in your life? And is it not the most tautological word the Father has heard in His life? And is it not the most tautological word the Son has heard in His life? And is it not the most tautological word the Holy Ghost has heard in His life? HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead."
The Talking Heads are releasing a 12-inch (vinyl) single of this.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:30 am Alternate theory: Contestant starts doing their own independent research about their Final Jeopardy after they get home before taping (it wasn't a particularly hard clue to remember, and I'd bet that most contestants know the exact wording of the Final Jeopardy that defeated them), realized "hey, this doesn't really add up", and emails the show.
That's such a boring explanation that it's probably what happened. :D The indications we get are that they don't make these decisions based on whether a contestant actually was thrown off by the wording, only that the contestant could have been thrown off. So Rebecca doesn't even have to allege that she totally would've nailed this clue if they'd worded it properly. She just has to get the judges to agree that, as worded, the clue has no correct response.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Damn Canadians can't help themselves...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:19 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:52 am I know Manchester didn't win Best Picture. But they do release the list of nominees:
Wiki says that the film was produced by K Period Media, B Story, CMP, Pearl Street Films, and The A / Middleton Project. So it may not be the case that Amazon would appear in the parenthetical even if it had been one of the producers.
If you want to operate under the theory that Amazon wouldn't stomp its way into the nomination list if it produced a Best Picture nominee, well, that's your prerogative!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:30 am Alternate theory: Contestant starts doing their own independent research about their Final Jeopardy after they get home before taping (it wasn't a particularly hard clue to remember, and I'd bet that most contestants know the exact wording of the Final Jeopardy that defeated them), realized "hey, this doesn't really add up", and emails the show.
That's such a boring explanation that it's probably what happened. :D The indications we get are that they don't make these decisions based on whether a contestant actually was thrown off by the wording, only that the contestant could have been thrown off. So Rebecca doesn't even have to allege that she totally would've nailed this clue if they'd worded it properly. She just has to get the judges to agree that, as worded, the clue has no correct response.
And that the wording had no fuzz factor -- I corresponded with the producers after my loss; the gist of FJ was "this character's name may have come from XYZ." My thought was "They want this character, but his name didn't come from XYZ, it came from ABC" and wrote down nothing when time expired before I could think of a better answer. The producers agreed that the ABC hypothesis was valid, but their position was that the clue stated "MAY have come from...." instead of "came from."

Ah, well.... another case of the saddest words of tongue and men. Major lesson learned: Write down SOMETHING. If you think of something better, change the answer. But don't leave it blank, even if you think your answer is wrong.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If Fred Brown doesn’t loose his head, the game perhaps has a different ending and Mike Jordan’s basket is just a footnote in his career.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm If Fred Brown doesn’t loose his head, the game perhaps has a different ending and Mike Jordan’s basket is just a footnote in his career.
Just how loose was it?
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 am
Lefty wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:17 am Jordan was widely considered the best player in the country as of his early in his sophomore season,
"widely"? Early in his sophomore year? That's news to me and everyone else who follows college basketball, considering Ralph Sampson won the Naismith Award in 1982 and 1983. Guess all the sports journalists and fans back then didn't get the memo.

Jordan was certainly a top player with amazing stats for a great team beginning with his sophomore year, but you're exaggerating here by claiming he was the undisputed best, because he wasn't.
I'm not exaggerating, because I didn't make that claim. Also, Jordan was a freshman in 1982. Samson did win also in 1983, but people had gotten used to voting for him by then.

As for cherry picking, I just took the one on top.
I'm smart and I want respect.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

F*%K You.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 pm
F*%K You.
Much better.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:54 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:19 pm
If you want to operate under the theory that Amazon wouldn't stomp its way into the nomination list if it produced a Best Picture nominee, well, that's your prerogative!
Well, when you put it that way.... :lol:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:51 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm If Fred Brown doesn’t loose his head, the game perhaps has a different ending and Mike Jordan’s basket is just a footnote in his career.
Just how loose was it?
So loose he popped it right off and passed it to James Worthy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

squarekara wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 pm At least we "The Father uncreated; the Son uncreated; and the Holy Ghost uncreated. The Father unlimited; the Son unlimited; and the Holy Ghost unlimited. The Father eternal; the Son eternal; and the Holy Ghost eternal. The Father redundant; the Son redundant; and the Holy Ghost redundant... And yet they are not three Gods; but one God. So likewise the Father is Lord; the Son Lord; and the Holy Ghost Lord. And yet not three Lords; but one Lord. And so likewise is this creed not horribly redundant, it is likewise horribly redundant. I mean, co-equal? How can things not be quantifiably more or less equal? Is that not the most tautological word you've ever heard in your life? And is it not the most tautological word the Father has heard in His life? And is it not the most tautological word the Son has heard in His life? And is it not the most tautological word the Holy Ghost has heard in His life? HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead."
The Talking Heads are releasing a 12-inch (vinyl) single of this.

Well of course. No way all that would fit on a 45.