Friday, January 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 29, W: 4, costing 3600
Coryat: 21,000
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: another 0-fer
LT: Jan 6, VW, Stutz

One for the judges: collusion instead of conspiracy?

This was one of my better performances. Not show-worthy yet, but improving.

Ran the car category. Answered every clue before the Alex could finish reading them. I've never thought of myself as a car guy, but I guess I'll have to fess up to being one.

FJ! was a get on what I feel was a good guess. From previous shows (or maybe the TD quizzes), I know the most populous country in Africa was one of the poorest ones. That eliminated Egypt and South Africa from the top spots and left them available for #3. Not enough desert in SA, so I guessed Egypt. I'll take it.
--Peter
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 pm One for the judges: collusion instead of conspiracy?
I've read several news articles recently which said that the word "collusion" has little or no legal meaning, so I would say [Trumpian voice] NO COLLUSION![/Trumpian voice]
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Foretopman wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:19 pm My precall for FJ! was Nambia. :lol:
I was thinking Normay, but wasn't sure about how much desert was there....
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:26 am I decided quickly it was a Saharan country. My first thoughts were Algeria and Libya, but decided neither would be that populous. I then came to the conclusion that having a major world city like Cairo would make it more likely to have a huge population.

I did not know Ethiopia had that many people.
Same here on both. Cairo proper has an estimated 12 million people (metro area: 21 million), and none of the other North African cities come close.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

BobF wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:23 am Anybody go with Algeria? I was mentally debating between the two before settling on Egypt.
That's what I probably would've gone with if it hadn't been that I had recalled how surprised I was at the population of Egypt when I flipped a coin between Myanmar and South Korea on an FJ about the most populous country a UN Secretary General came from.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

My DVR failed to pick up this first Season 36 summer rerun aired June 15, 2020.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:41 pm My DVR failed to pick up this first Season 36 summer rerun aired June 15, 2020.
I think someone said the episode had a special title other than just “Jeopardy” so maybe that’s why it didn’t pick it up.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The title in my DVR guide is just "Jeopardy!"
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:41 pm My DVR failed to pick up this first Season 36 summer rerun aired June 15, 2020.
I picked it up - no special title as far as I see, but I have it set to pick up all reruns, all repeats, on any channel. (I have only one J! channel that only does the "new" episodes plus one old episode on Saturday, so it's not a big deal.)

I learned a lot about Narcissus vs Adonis thanks to this episode, but they BOTH created flowers when they died, so...can't see how I woulda got that one.

Oh, and "The Waitresses" are not a one hit wonder. Well, perhaps they are...I whiffed on the clue, but I could hear "I Know What Boys Like" in my head, and I knew the voice sounded similar to "Christmas Wrapping"...couldn't pull the group for either. Personally, I think "Christmas Wrapping" might be as big now, if not bigger.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:38 pm Oh, and "The Waitresses" are not a one hit wonder. Well, perhaps they are...I whiffed on the clue, but I could hear "I Know What Boys Like" in my head, and I knew the voice sounded similar to "Christmas Wrapping"...couldn't pull the group for either. Personally, I think "Christmas Wrapping" might be as big now, if not bigger.
Well, "I Know What Boys Like" peaked at #62 in the US, and "Christmas Wrapping" peaked at #45 in the UK, and neither of them charted in both countries.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:38 pm Personally, I think "Christmas Wrapping" might be as big now, if not bigger.
Christmas Wrapping is my all-time favorite pun name for a song.