Final Fleming Episode

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Fleming Episode

Post by acthomas »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:31 pm That pitch thing drives me nuts. I have perfect pitch, so listening to some of the Beatles songs where they screw with the tape speed ("Rain", "Strawberry Fields Forever", etc.) throws me massively off balance.
I'm about to post a trip report about my adventure to Culver City yesterday, but perhaps the geekiest thing I did was take a picture of the sheet music of "Think Music #1" as composed by Merv Griffin and arranged by Steve Kaplan. Starts in C, ends in E flat. :geek:
Super-geeks want to know: What year was the copyright for the arrangement?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:31 pm That pitch thing drives me nuts. I have perfect pitch, so listening to some of the Beatles songs where they screw with the tape speed ("Rain", "Strawberry Fields Forever", etc.) throws me massively off balance.
I'm about to post a trip report about my adventure to Culver City yesterday, but perhaps the geekiest thing I did was take a picture of the sheet music of "Think Music #1" as composed by Merv Griffin and arranged by Steve Kaplan. Starts in C, ends in E flat. :geek:
Can you post it or send it to me?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

acthomas wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:43 am
It doesn't say. You know, I was just going to post the photo when I realized that it can't be the original.

In the Art Fleming version, the first and fifth measures are the same (G C G C C, depending on the key). In the current version, the first measure goes like that but the fifth measure goes G C G E F, and that's what appears in the photo, so this is not "original".

I still tend to think that the C major version makes more sense on the glockenspiel than the B major version, and distortion of the sound file lowered the pitch, but this "find" proves nothing. Does anyone still want to see it?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:02 pm
acthomas wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:43 am
It doesn't say. You know, I was just going to post the photo when I realized that it can't be the original.

In the Art Fleming version, the first and fifth measures are the same (G C G C C, depending on the key). In the current version, the first measure goes like that but the fifth measure goes G C G E F, and that's what appears in the photo, so this is not "original".

I still tend to think that the C major version makes more sense on the glockenspiel than the B major version, and distortion of the sound file lowered the pitch, but this "find" proves nothing. Does anyone still want to see it?
I do!
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Wow, thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it as you might imagine (from my moniker,misspelled as I believe you pointed out).
I had forgotten how fast Art spoke. Also I disagree with the assumption that Art might not have known many of the answers/questions, on what is that based? As far as AT is concerned, I don't think he knows what he'd like you/us to think. Just my impression based on watching for many years.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:04 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:02 pm Does anyone still want to see it?
I do!
Here you go! (Spoilered for size.)
Spoiler
20180124_151050.jpg
20180124_151050.jpg (72.47 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:23 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:04 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:02 pm Does anyone still want to see it?
I do!
Here you go! (Spoilered for size.)
Spoiler
20180124_151050.jpg
Thank you from me as well!