Monday, January 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance »

thenextofken wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:48 pm FJ was an instaget in a category so not my wheelhouse. But I'm not sure I would've gotten it without the word "ironically." Is this true for anyone else?
booth theatre was the only reason i got it
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:55 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:30 am He’s probably doing better than the EMA guy in Hawaii that pushed the wrong button.
It wasn't the wrong button. It was the wrong choice from a (confusing) drop-down menu.
Spoiler
Oh. I thought it went more like this:

davey

Post by davey »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:45 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:43 am
nlw44 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 pm I said in a previous game's thread that I tended to like Gilbert, but he and the others lost me when when they didn't get Casablanca. If you don't know that one, you don't deserve to win.
I guess not knowing Casablanca is the new normal. Pity. It's been a trivia staple for years, a definite must-know. And deservedly so, in my opinion. I yelled "Pull the lever!!!" at Alex when that clue went begging. (That's the lever that opens the trap doors when all three contestants have lost the right to continue. :lol: )
I wouldn't even use the term "trivia" with Casablanca--it was part of everyone's experience. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the era of Manchester by the Sea.
In the last two years Casablanca has been clued 5 times before last night, and picked up every time. Twice the major TOM was "Dooley Wilson."
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... CASABLANCA
So I wouldn't count the movie out just yet.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:08 pm In the last two years Casablanca has been clued 5 times before last night, and picked up every time. Twice the major TOM was "Dooley Wilson."
Ok, but it's on its way. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:29 pm
davey wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:08 pm In the last two years Casablanca has been clued 5 times before last night, and picked up every time. Twice the major TOM was "Dooley Wilson."
Ok, but it's on its way. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....
Of all the game shows on all the networks in all the world, Casablanca walks into this one. Play it!
--Peter
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:05 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:30 am He’s probably doing better than the EMA guy in Hawaii that pushed the wrong button.
It wasn't the wrong button. It was the wrong choice from a (confusing) drop-down menu.
Spoiler
Spoiler
And that's why you install an Ad Blocker!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

harrumph wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:41 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:43 am
nlw44 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 pm I said in a previous game's thread that I tended to like Gilbert, but he and the others lost me when when they didn't get Casablanca. If you don't know that one, you don't deserve to win.
I guess not knowing Casablanca is the new normal. Pity. It's been a trivia staple for years, a definite must-know. And deservedly so, in my opinion. I yelled "Pull the lever!!!" at Alex when that clue went begging. (That's the lever that opens the trap doors when all three contestants have lost the right to continue. :lol: )
The Lever was in use only in seasons 14 to 19.
In my LEGO Jeopardy! soundstage, there's a crocodile pit under those trap doors.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:28 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:05 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
And that's why you install an Ad Blocker!
Probably better to have a missile blocker. (An effective one, that is.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

http://www.centraljersey.com/lifestyle/ ... ium=social

I stumbled across this article about Gilbert on Facebook. It is the usual contestant piece, but it was nice to read about him and his rather interesting background.

But what I found most interesting was this tidbit about him was this bit about one of his category weaknesses...
Another topic he's less comfortable with is a staple on "Jeopardy!"

"Really old movies, that's also something they will often go to on 'Jeopardy!' that I tried to study up on before I went out there, but I was pretty happy that they didn't delve too much into that," he said.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Can we stick to actually discussing the game and not get into personal attacks regarding things with a tenuous connection to the episode?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:48 pm
mrparadise wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:02 pm But oh man, if I ever get on I sure hope they have a Casablanca clue or two
I wish they'd had a whole category on the movie....
They have, multiple times. Check out the archive, a cornucopia for aficionados of the film.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:05 am
AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:48 pm
mrparadise wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:02 pm But oh man, if I ever get on I sure hope they have a Casablanca clue or two
I wish they'd had a whole category on the movie....
They have, multiple times. Check out the archive, a cornucopia for aficionados of the film.
Sorry, was unclear -- I had seen it as a category, but had watched it with my wife (for the... 18th? time) the weekend before my taping, so I was hoping it would pop up again. Would have been a definite wheelhouse.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Woolly (1), 4-Letter Words (4), Aruba (4), Album (0), Time (5), Science (3)
Books (2), Oscar (1), Double Letter (2), Italians (3), Street (4), Online (2)

Lach Trash: eddy, Oranjestad, sawgrass; Daily Double: Bourbon Street

Instaget FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 1/18 episode of Young Sheldon had the family getting a Tandy 1000 SL with Intel 8086, 8 MHz, & 5.25" drive. There was a quick montage of each family member (including Meemaw speaking into the mouse) using the computer in various ways. Missy was playing this (while claiming to be doing her homework):
Spoiler

I don't have the WOF skills to solve it on my own, so I used Google and a hangman solver to find 4 possible solutions:
Spoiler
barometer
bartender
bargainer
barkeeper
The show takes place in 1989. Do the game and the computer go together? The show also had some of the family interacting with the chatterbot Eliza with humorous results.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:17 am The 1/18 episode of Young Sheldon had the family getting a Tandy 1000 SL with Intel 8086, 8 MHz, & 5.25" drive. There was a quick montage of each family member (including Meemaw speaking into the mouse) using the computer in various ways. Missy was playing this (while claiming to be doing her homework):
Spoiler

I don't have the WOF skills to solve it on my own, so I used Google and a hangman solver to find 4 possible solutions:
Spoiler
barometer
bartender
bargainer
barkeeper
The show takes place in 1989. Do the game and the computer go together? The show also had some of the family interacting with the chatterbot Eliza with humorous results.
I used to have that game! I played it all the time with my kids.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:17 am The 1/18 episode of Young Sheldon had the family getting a Tandy 1000 SL with Intel 8086, 8 MHz, & 5.25" drive. There was a quick montage of each family member (including Meemaw speaking into the mouse) using the computer in various ways. Missy was playing this (while claiming to be doing her homework):
Spoiler

Spoiler
barometer
bartender
bargainer
barkeeper
We saw this episode and it is now my favourite of the series because of the game shoutouts. I very much remember playing that WoF game in that time period, but it was on an IBM clone running MS-DOS. (I got more use out of the similar Jeopardy! game) Also the popular (well, common) computers of the time were like mine, the ones like the Cooper family bought were popular about 5 years earlier.

(I also have very fond memories of playing Eliza as a teen in the mid-80s, can’t recall if this was on the TRS-80 or the IBM though. I pointed out to my wife that, as best I recall, Eliza didn’t audibly “talk”, though (I don’t think the technology was there anyways, Eliza was a very simple program, simple enough for me to mess around with the program by rewriting the code and her replies for lolz debug it if necessary. Man, that ep took me back!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

TIL the Tandy version of this game used green/red for the turn indicators. The DOS version used yellow/red. Other than that it looks identical.

The first version of WOF for home computers (the version seen above) came out in 1987. Totally within the timeframe.

I still play the classic DOS versions of all these games with DOSBox.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I remember playing that game when I was really little, and my aunt being surprised that I knew who Menachem Begin was, when at the time, I didn't, but had seen the name written somewhere before that.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Spoiler

We tried to watch this episode because of the mentions here. This episode might have pushed some nostalgia buttons, but we didn't make it through the third buzzkill when the Mom told the kids to pack up to move out to MeeMaw's. We endured the poormouthing and arguing but this was too much. I can wait for the redemption and resolution in a Simpson's episode but even Annie Potts can't make up for these doses of sadness in a supposed situation comedy.

Our first company computer (1989?) was the Tandy 1000(?), but it had the 80286 chip, 3.5" "stiffy" discs, and 10 Mb hard drive. I don't remember the RAM, but after all, nobody would ever need more than 640K to run DOS!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:57 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:54 am I'll say it. I like Young Sheldon, and I think the kid is great in it. As a long-time fan of BBT, I feel like that show has gone seriously downhill in the last few seasons. At this point, I think I even prefer Young Sheldon. So there.
Not to help the board devolve into a TV Critic's Corner, but we watched the first several episodes of Young Sheldon, just couldn't get into it, and quit watching. I like the actors who play his mother, brother, and sister, don't care much for the father's performance, and Armitage seems to be trying too hard with Sheldon; he comes across as pretentious and unnatural instead of simply un-self-aware, the way Jim Parsons plays him as an adult. Also not a big fan of the writing -- BBT has less comedy, but more wit. Annie Potts, however, is a scream. Maybe they should rework the program as "Young Sheldon's Meemaw." That would probably get us to watching again.
The BBT fans who have not seen or have given up on Young Sheldon should see at least the last two minutes of the 2/1 episode.