Monday, January 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7676, 2018-01-15

Gilbert Collins game 4.
WE ASKED: Iain Armitage.

CONTESTANTS
Tyler Miksanek, a student from Warrenville, Illinois
Steve Garbacz, a newspaper editor and reporter from Fort Wayne, Indiana
Gilbert Collins, a university administrator from Princeton, New Jersey (whose 3-day cash winnings total $36,599)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you. Thank you, Johnny. Good crowd. We appreciate it. For those of you who missed it last week, Gilbert, our returning champion, has promised his two children 1% of his winnings. So they have formed a very large and enthusiastic cheering section for him. Steve, Tyler--Steve Tyler. There we go. Good to have you here. You'll perform later. Right now, let's get into the first round of Jeopardy!. And here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A WOOLLY CATEGORY (4/5)
4-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
ARRIBA ARUBA! (4/5)
WHOSE ALBUM? (1/3)
THE END OF TIME (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SCIENCE WITH IAIN ARMITAGE (5/5) (Iain Armitage: Hi, I'm Iain Armitage, a genius on Young Sheldon and your guide for some science clues.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gilbert: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Steve: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Tyler: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Gilbert: $4,600
Steve: $1,200
Tyler: -$1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tyler Miksanek is a contestant with us today because he took our online test where?

Tyler: I was studying abroad in Ecuador last year, and even though it was a foreign country, I was there with my host family. I told them I had to duck away from a little fiesta, and I took the test.

Alex: I just came back from Ecuador, as you know, because I visited the Galapagos Islands. Did you have an opportunity to do that also?

Tyler: I did, and they are fantastic.

Alex: Good, I'm glad you feel the same as I do.

Alex: Steve Garbacz from Fort Wayne, Indiana. Got engaged at a very special place. Tell me.

Steve: Well, my wife, Ashley, loves the St. Louis Arch. And at the time, I was 23 and flat broke, so we couldn't actually make a trip to St. Louis. So I printed out a poster of the arch. I put it in the archway over the hallway leading to my bedroom and proposed there in my little 1-bedroom apartment.

Alex: You romantic devil, you.

Steve: We did elope in St. Louis, though, so it all worked out.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Gilbert Collins is a university administrator from Princeton, New Jersey. Which means you do what?

Gilbert: I work with students at Princeton who are interested in global health and health policy. So they could be future doctors, but also future scientists, future researchers looking to make a difference in that area.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Gilbert found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Gilbert had $5,800, Steve had $3,200, and Tyler had a deficit with -$1,400. Gilbert wagered $3,000.

THE END OF TIME $600: This 64-year British era ended for a very specific reason in 1901
(Alex: Because Queen Victoria died.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
4-LETTER WORDS $600: It's a small whirlpool

A WOOLLY CATEGORY $1000: Many moisturizers contain this fatty substance extracted from sheep wool
(Tyler: What is gelatin?)

ARRIBA ARUBA! $1000: This "colorful" seaport & tourist spot is Aruba's administrative center

WHOSE ALBUM? $1000: "Sonic Highways", also an HBO miniseries

WHOSE ALBUM? $600: Her "Beautiful Trauma" recently debuted at No. 1
(Steve: Who's Kelly Clarkson?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Gilbert: $9,600
Steve: $2,600
Tyler: $400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEN IN BOOKS BY WOMEN (2/5)
SUPPORTING CAST OF OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE (1/3)
ENDS IN DOUBLE LETTERS (3/5)
SPEAKING ITALIANS (3/5)
STREET SMARTS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
JEOPARDY! WRITERS' ONLINE GO-TOs (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tyler: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Steve: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Gilbert: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tyler snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Gilbert had $9,600, Steve had $2,600, and Tyler was at $1,600. Tyler wagered $1,000.

STREET SMARTS $1200: Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire" influenced Sting's song "Moon Over" this street
(Tyler: I think I'm way too young. Let's go with... what is Hudson?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Steve who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Gilbert had $8,000, Steve had $5,400, and Tyler was at $7,000. Steve wagered $1,600.

JEOPARDY! WRITERS' ONLINE GO-TOs $2000: For legends & suspect claims, the writers may check snopes.com, named for a family in this man's novels
(Steve: Who's Doyle?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ENDS IN DOUBLE LETTERS $1600: After metal has been cast, cut or drilled, this ragged edge remains
(Gilbert: What is chaff?)

ENDS IN DOUBLE LETTERS $2000: Tiny, sharp teeth give this plant its name, also an elite Florida golf course

MEN IN BOOKS BY WOMEN $800: Last name of Susan Eloise, who in "Tex" created McCormick brothers Tex & Mason

MEN IN BOOKS BY WOMEN $1200: The title character of this 1928 Virginia Woolf novel is male in the beginning, but that doesn't last...
(Gilbert: What is Mrs. Dalloway?)

SUPPORTING CAST OF OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE $800: J.K. Simmons, Rosemarie DeWitt & John Legend...no, I'm sorry! I mean Naomie Harris, Patrick Decile & Andre Holland!

SPEAKING ITALIANS $1200: He told GQ, "I made the jacket unstructured because I wanted to accentuate the body. See the sensuality"

MEN IN BOOKS BY WOMEN $2000: This foppish lord began solving crimes for Dorothy Sayers in 1923

SPEAKING ITALIANS $2000: This 19th century virtuoso: "When women hear me play (the violin), they come crawling to my feet"
(Steve: Who is Stravinsky?)

SUPPORTING CAST OF OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE $1200: Dooley Wilson, Claude Rains & Peter Lorre
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Gilbert: $9,600
Tyler: $7,400
Steve: $2,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE THEATER

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus third. Shore's Conjecture.
Gilbert: Wager $5,200. Risk any less and Tyler may overtake you if you both get it right; risk any more and Steve may overtake you if you get it wrong. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $801.
Tyler: Wager all $7,400. If Gilbert bets correctly, then you'll tie for the win if you both get the correct response.
Steve: Wager all $2,200, and you have a hope of snatching up a tie for first with Gilbert if you're the only one to provide the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1915 this play opened for the last time on Broadway, ironically at the Booth Theatre

FINAL SCORES
Steve: $2,200 - $2,200 = $0 (What was ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Tyler: $7,400 - $2,201 = $5,199 (What is My American Cousin?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Gilbert: $9,600 + $5,201 = $14,801 (What is Our American Cousin?) (4-day champion: $51,400)
(Alex: And it is the play that was being performed at Ford's Theatre in Washington, D.C. when Abraham Lincoln was assassinated.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tyler: $8,400, 13 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Gilbert: $7,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Steve: $3,800, 12 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $19,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Gilbert: 16/59 = .271
Tyler: 13/59 = .220
Steve: 12/59 = .203
Team: 41/63 = .651

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
4-LETTER WORDS $400: Darn! None of my numbers came up in this game

4-LETTER WORDS $800: It's the 4-letter name for the mammal seen here

4-LETTER WORDS $1000: A popular type of protein powder is made from this watery byproduct of cheesemaking
(Tyler: What is curd?)

A WOOLLY CATEGORY $400: This term for an athletic shirt originally meant fabric made from the wool of that island
(Tyler: What is a Bahama shirt?)

A WOOLLY CATEGORY $600: Wool from this llama relative comes in 22 natural colors, the most of any wool-producing animal

ARRIBA ARUBA! $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows Aruba's flag on the monitor.) The red star on Aruba's flag represents the island & the white outline, its sand beaches; the blue represents this body of water

ARRIBA ARUBA! $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) For much of the 20th century, one of the mainstays of Aruba's economy was the refining of oil from this big neighbor to the south

SCIENCE WITH IAIN ARMITAGE $200: (Iain Armitage presents the clue.) Faults like the San Andreas are named for their movement along the fault plane... this way, which Sheldon's dad would know as a sideways pass in football

SCIENCE WITH IAIN ARMITAGE $400: (Iain Armitage presents the clue.) Take away the teleprompter--one look & I'll demonstrate an eidetic memory, an ability of Sheldon's that's also called this other name

SCIENCE WITH IAIN ARMITAGE $600: (Iain Armitage presents the clue.) In 1964 the brilliant physicist Richard Feynman said, "Nobody understands" this type of mechanics of the subatomic world, but we're doing a lot better now

SCIENCE WITH IAIN ARMITAGE $800: (Iain Armitage presents the clue.) The way we got this term for a bond between an electron pair is that the electrons in the outermost shell of an atom are called valence electrons

SCIENCE WITH IAIN ARMITAGE $1000: (Iain Armitage presents the clue.) The 2017 Nobel Physics Prize was for using these waves, the "G" in the LIGO Observatory, to understand the universe
(Alex: And our thanks to young Iain Armitage for handling that category so well. People often ask me if I'm thinking about retiring. Ah... kids like that worry me.)

THE END OF TIME $800: The last major one of these ages ended with the Pleistocene Epoch nearly 12,000 years ago
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

STREET SMARTS $400: (Alex presents the clue from the Canadian Embassy in Washington, D.C.) Reflecting the close relationship that exists between our two countries, Canada is the only one to have its embassy on a section of this stately Washington avenue that connects the White House to the U.S. Capitol

STREET SMARTS $2000: The name of this Jerusalem street means "way of sorrows"
(Gilbert: What is Via Doloroso?)

ENDS IN DOUBLE LETTERS $400: Seen here is all the equipment you need for this game

SPEAKING ITALIANS $400: Bartlett's attributes "But it does move!" to this 16th century astronomer
(Tyler: Who is Copernicus?)

SPEAKING ITALIANS $800: This businessman/PM, unafraid to go big: "I am the Jesus Christ of politics... I sacrifice myself for everyone"
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Victorian
an eddy
lanolin
Oranjestad
the Foo Fighters
Pink
Bourbon Street
William Faulkner
burr
sawgrass
S.E. Hinton
Orlando
Moonlight
Giorgio Armani
Lord Peter Wimsey
Paganini
Casablanca
Our American Cousin
Keno
orca
whey
a jersey
an alpaca
the Caribbean
Venezuela
lateral
a photographic memory
quantum mechanics
covalent
gravitational
the Ice Age
Pennsylvania
Via Dolorosa
tetherball
Galileo
Berlusconi
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE THEATER

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1915 this play opened for the last time on Broadway, ironically at the Booth Theatre

Gilbert Collins: 9600+5201=14801 (4x = $51,400)
Steve Garbacz: 2200-2200=0
Tyler Miksanek: 7400-2201=5199

Correct response:
Spoiler
Our American Cousin (Steve – What was?) (Tyler – My American Cousin)

Daily Doubles
Gilbert: 5800+3000
Tyler: 1600-1000
Steve: 5400-1600

Coryats
Gilbert: 7200
Steve: 3800
Tyler: 8400

Combined: 19,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Gilbert: 9600
Steve: 2600
Tyler: 400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice work by young Sheldon in the SCIENCE category. The players did not save the category until the end so that allowed the J! round to end early. Of course the unfinished category just had to be the fun one with the albums.

The show advertised a "We Asked Iain Armitage", but I did not find it on the site yet.

The J! site also has extra about the WRITERS’ GO-TOs category: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/features ... ers-go-tos

Gilbert had 9600 at the end of the J! round. Great. Gilbert had 9600 going into the FJ! round. Not so great.

The players must not be big on crossword puzzles as “It’s a small whirlpool” in 4-LETTER WORDS should not go TS.

Gilbert was 2/2 on the big clues he played while his opponents were both 0/2. That is the way to get a 4th win even in a very poor showing game with a 19400 combined Coryat. Not that I am the best to speak based on the way I played, but the rules are the same with a penalty for incorrect guesses. More discipline, contestants.

The FJ! clue seemed to be pointing to naming the play when Lincoln was shot. That’s a trivia staple I can handle to get the week off to a good start. Tyler had 66% of his response right and his overall miss changed nothing for the final result to ease the ouch factor.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

In abridged form, the FJ play in question used to be a staple of the late, lamented Birdcage Theatre at Knott's Berry Farm. The staging included a
Spoiler
backlit silhouette of Lincoln as part of the proscenium.
At a particular point in the show, the players would stop the action, a historic event would be noted with solemnity, and
Spoiler
the silhouette would be removed before the action resumed.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

At first I thought there had been a recent FJ with that correct response...then I remembered that it was a less obvious LL question that I missed. That made me more confident that the obvious answer was the correct one.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I HATE YOUNG SHELDON I HATE YOUNG SHELDON I HATE YOUNG SHELDON AND BIG BANG THEORY SUCKS TOO.

I said "Clip" on 4 Letters for $200. Judges? I got the rest of the clues in that category.

Why is it that I completely derp up the Caribbean every time? No matter how often I look at a map of it, I completely forget where it even is, never mind what islands are in it.

Total brain fart on "oro". I guess seeing the unfamiliar word "huba" threw me off course.

We probably could've finished the J! round had Alex not eaten up so much time with that joke about retiring...

Double Letters was tough. I got only the top box, and NHO the bottom 3.

All but the DD on Snopes in the Sources category.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: eddy, Lanolin. I knew the latter because of US Acres.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I got this thanks to remembering to remember this chestnut after a recent Learned League question, although I almost called it "Our American Cousins" - I changed it to singular at the last moment.

The La La Land -> Moonlight fiasco seems like so long ago - I didn't catch what they were getting at until too late. "Casablanca" was an easy pick up though.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I EXPECTED A TRIPLE GET. How disappointing.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I thought Iain did a great job with the Science category; I haven't seen any of Young Sheldon.

I put the Lincoln's play trivia chestnut to memory at some point down the line .. no problem with this final, which is nice as I only got 1/5 last week.

'Grats to Gilbert on win #4, I'm pulling for #5 tomorrow! Noticed something interesting on the J! site this morning as the ToC chart has been updated with all the 3x champs since Austin's streak. Helpful for Gilbert as he jumps to #2, but just thought that was interesting.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 26, W:2, costing 1200
Coryat: 19,400 (interestingly, matching the players, although we took very different paths to get there)
FJ: :?:
LT: lanolin, sawgrass
DD: 1/3

My J! round was one of my better ones. Ran "time", 4/5 in "science" and "4 letter words". It helped that the players weren't interested in the albums, as I was unlikely to get any of those.

DJ!, on the other hand, was a bit of a disaster. Books? None. Oscars? None. (Although I did figure out TOM in the 800 clue there, but couldn't come up with the name of the correct movie.) At least I kept my mouth shut and avoided bad guesses, with only one wrong reply in each of the rounds.

Let's talk FJ. Again, I figured out the TOM in the clue. I thought the play was An American Cousin, but I wasn't sure about the first word. Recalling lessons learned here, I left the initial article off, and went with American Cousin. Judges?

FJ wagering - Gilbert stuck to the script, covering a double by Tyler. Tyler's wager would have put him $1 ahead of Gilbert on a correct response, forcing Gilbert to also get it right. But a zero wager by the leader is pretty unlikely. He could have wagered up to 2999 without risking falling behind Steve, while still forcing Gilbert to get it right if Tyler were correct. I'm not sure his lower wager was a logical one.
--Peter
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Let's talk FJ. Again, I figured out the TOM in the clue. I thought the play was An American Cousin, but I wasn't sure about the first word. Recalling lessons learned here, I left the initial article off, and went with American Cousin. Judges?
Not in a million years. "Our" is not an article. Your response would only work if the correct first word had been "The", "A", or "An".

I said in a previous game's thread that I tended to like Gilbert, but he and the others lost me when when they didn't get Casablanca. If you don't know that one, you don't deserve to win.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:30 pm Let's talk FJ. Again, I figured out the TOM in the clue. I thought the play was An American Cousin, but I wasn't sure about the first word. Recalling lessons learned here, I left the initial article off, and went with American Cousin. Judges?

FJ wagering - Gilbert stuck to the script, covering a double by Tyler. Tyler's wager would have put him $1 ahead of Gilbert on a correct response, forcing Gilbert to also get it right. But a zero wager by the leader is pretty unlikely. He could have wagered up to 2999 without risking falling behind Steve, while still forcing Gilbert to get it right if Tyler were correct. I'm not sure his lower wager was a logical one.
Response = Hard no. "my" and "our" are adjectives, not articles. They cannot be dropped.

Wagering = There's absolutely nothing wrong with betting to take the lead by $1 when you're between 3/4 and 4/5 like Tyler was. It was perfectly logical. All 3 FJ bets tonight were excellent.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

nlw44 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 pm I said in a previous game's thread that I tended to like Gilbert, but he and the others lost me when when they didn't get Casablanca. If you don't know that one, you don't deserve to win.
For me playing along at home, I CLAMmed. I thought "I know Claude Rains was in Casablanca but was he in other stuff too?" So, I'd say that getting mad at a contestant for staying CLAM is uncalled for.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Steve made the right bet as it gets him an extra $1,000 if he is the only one to get it right.

I was also surprised they went 1/3 on this one. Although Tyler was "right" in the sense a couple other players were recently. He knew what they were going for, he just didn't get the title right. An instaget here.

It is interesting that FJ was related to an assassination on the day we honor a man who was assassinated.

It looked like Gilbert was going to hit his stride today and run away with the game, but he dropped back to the pack by not clamming enough. I hope he can make the TOC tomorrow, but I suspect he'll be on Mark's bronze list.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

37 R
DD: 1/3 (Victorian Era)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lanolin, Oranjestad, Hinton, Orlando, Lord Peter Whimsey, Paganini
Douglas Squasoni
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 pm
nlw44 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 pm I said in a previous game's thread that I tended to like Gilbert, but he and the others lost me when when they didn't get Casablanca. If you don't know that one, you don't deserve to win.
For me playing along at home, I CLAMmed. I thought "I know Claude Rains was in Casablanca but was he in other stuff too?" So, I'd say that getting mad at a contestant for staying CLAM is uncalled for.
Really? Uncalled for? With all the stuff that is written on this board about contestants and their wagering and habits and responses?
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:39 pmWagering = There's absolutely nothing wrong with betting to take the lead by $1 when you're between 3/4 and 4/5 like Tyler was. It was perfectly logical. All 3 FJ bets tonight were excellent.
I went back and reviewed my math. I see where I went wrong. Tried to shortcut a calculation and missed Tyler's minimum wager. Of course, that's what he chose. This was a more complicated wagering situation that I realized at first. A three-way tie at 4400 was possible. Tyler is the only one in a position to avoid that by going with the smaller wager he chose.
--Peter
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

While there have been some really tough boards recently, I found this easy. I came within 1 of tying the combined number of correct responses, and would've exceeded it for the first time if not for a few unnecessary clams.
The Young Sheldon category was one of my favorites from this season.
My American Cousin is a common mistake, just as "Play it again, Sam" is a common misquotation from a film that at least one of three contestants should be able to recognize given some fairly notable supporting cast members. :)
Hoping for a third lap