Monday, January 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 pm
nlw44 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 pm I said in a previous game's thread that I tended to like Gilbert, but he and the others lost me when when they didn't get Casablanca. If you don't know that one, you don't deserve to win.
For me playing along at home, I CLAMmed. I thought "I know Claude Rains was in Casablanca but was he in other stuff too?" So, I'd say that getting mad at a contestant for staying CLAM is uncalled for.
Yes - Claude Rains was in a lot of other stuff. Dooley Wilson, who plays and sings As Time Goes By in the movie, unmistakably points to Casablanca for most people...
I loved the La La Land joke and was disappointed they didn't get it...
An easy FJ but a cool fact...
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $23,600
DDs: 1/3 (the one in J!)
LT: eddy, burr
FJ!: :(

Knew what they were going for, didn't know the name of the play. Potential for the poll?

A "meh" start to the week.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

nlw44 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 pm
nlw44 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 pm I said in a previous game's thread that I tended to like Gilbert, but he and the others lost me when when they didn't get Casablanca. If you don't know that one, you don't deserve to win.
For me playing along at home, I CLAMmed. I thought "I know Claude Rains was in Casablanca but was he in other stuff too?" So, I'd say that getting mad at a contestant for staying CLAM is uncalled for.
Really? Uncalled for? With all the stuff that is written on this board about contestants and their wagering and habits and responses?

If you had paused the game at the Casablanca clue and asked me if I cared to wager on whether the three would get it or not I think I would gladly have taken any bet (even 50 to 1!) that all three would have failed. And I'm amazed that all those who have so far reported their LT, I think, also missed. I guess it just reinforces once again that we all (well, most of us) assume that if something is very well known to us it must be for others too, and if we don't have a clue it must be very obscure. But oh man, if I ever get on I sure hope they have a Casablanca clue or two
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got it right, but there are many clues that are this “simple” that I miss. So I wasn’t surprised it was a TS. While it is a well known movie, not everyone smart enough to be on Jeopardy is going to be familiar with the cast.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the expectation of the FJ! clue going 3/3 I was curious how THE THEATER might influence that prediction. My instinct was that kind of category will more often than not have a miss and I took a quick spin in the Archive for any FJ! categories with Theater or Theatre.

The results:
Spoiler
M=Male & F=Female
12/20/91: M-, M+, F+
3/22/96: F+, F+, F-
2/25/00: F-, F-, M+
9/22/00: F-, M+, M-
12/13/00: F+, M+, M-
3/20/01: F+, M+, M+
4/12/01: F-, F-, M+
3/16/04: F-, M+, M-
5/12/05: F+, M+, M-
5/1/06: M-, F-, M-
6/1/06: F-, M-, M+
1/11/07: M+, F+, F+
5/30/07: M-, F+, M+
7/25,07: M-, F-, M+
1/8/09: F+, M-
1/25/13: M-, F-, M-
5/1/13: M+, M+
1/28/16: F+, F+, M+
3/30/17: F+, M+, F+
11/14/17: F-, M-, M+
1/15/18: M+, M-, M-
That's 21 games and only 3 times with a 3/3. I'll stick with my instinct that category will produce a contestant miss.

For Gilbert being in my Bronze group: His Coryat average and winnings total are in the Paul Nelson & Rani Peffer area? Win or lose tomorrow I say Bronze. One plus for Gilbert's line is four games and 1+1+1+1 for position entering the FJ! round. I'll leave it for someone else to decide on the car model for his 8 opponents so far.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

On your list, you have today’s FJ as a TS.

This was more of an American history answer rather than theater.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 pm On your list, you have today’s FJ as a TS.
Fixed
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:36 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 pm On your list, you have today’s FJ as a TS.
Fixed
Thanks and thanks as Gilbert deserves credit where credit's due.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:18 pm ... Of course the unfinished category just had to be the fun one with the albums.
My thoughts exactly, but in the DJ round.
davey wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:38 pm Yes - Claude Rains was in a lot of other stuff. Dooley Wilson, who plays and sings As Time Goes By in the movie, unmistakably points to Casablanca for most people...
I loved the La La Land joke and was disappointed they didn't get it...
An easy FJ but a cool fact...
Peter Lorre was the Casablanca linchpin for me. "Rick! Hide me!"

It took me one beat too long to get the La La Land joke. The writers were, perhaps, too clever for their own good on that one? Felt like information overload.

Instafinal, with an extra five seconds mentally confirming it's -Our-...I'm pretty sure that bit me in the past.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What was the La La Land joke? I missed it.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I thought today would be the day Gilbert plays the whole game with that rocket start. I like him for his poise and pretty solid knowledge foundation, he gets the answer without the TOM. I like him even more that he clammed or didn't know silly minutiae about a 65 year old over-hyped movie lol...

I NHO Steve Tyler until his entourage almost ran over my wife coming out of a building near 30 Rock a few years ago. My sister recognized him, and we learned he was on Today show or something that day. So, my celebrity IQ was just barely able to register Alex's opening joke that "they would perform later" in the introductions - I think it was an ad lib. You're no Art Fleming, AT, but that was pretty good. :lol: (based on my one episode of seeing AF, courtesy of Alietr).

I knew American, I knew Cousin, but whiffed on the pronoun/article recall. My guessing order would probably have been an/my/the without even considering "our".

We saw one episode of Sheldon and it was a little too much like an after school special. And we love Annie Potts, but the comedy just wasn't there. Whereas the most recent ep of the BB has made a comeback from sad/soapy plot threads to a pretty funny episode.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mrparadise wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:02 pm
nlw44 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 pm
Really? Uncalled for? With all the stuff that is written on this board about contestants and their wagering and habits and responses?

If you had paused the game at the Casablanca clue and asked me if I cared to wager on whether the three would get it or not I think I would gladly have taken any bet (even 50 to 1!) that all three would have failed. And I'm amazed that all those who have so far reported their LT, I think, also missed. I guess it just reinforces once again that we all (well, most of us) assume that if something is very well known to us it must be for others too, and if we don't have a clue it must be very obscure. But oh man, if I ever get on I sure hope they have a Casablanca clue or two
The take away is probably that a clue about 75 year old pop culture is never a sure thing.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:52 pm What was the La La Land joke? I missed it.
A clue in the category of supporting casts named actors in La La Land, then said no, wait, and named actors in Moonlight, in reference to last year's Oscar ceremony in which Best Picture was mistakenly given to the former film and then corrected to the latter after speeches had already been made.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

sarisson wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 pm
My American Cousin is a common mistake, just as "Play it again, Sam" is a common misquotation from a film that at least one of three contestants should be able to recognize given some fairly notable supporting cast members. :)
I'd call it a paraphrase rather than a misquotation. Rick's actual speech is too unwieldy for many real-life applications.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Peter the accountant wrote: FJ wagering - Gilbert stuck to the script, covering a double by Tyler. Tyler's wager would have put him $1 ahead of Gilbert on a correct response, forcing Gilbert to also get it right. But a zero wager by the leader is pretty unlikely. He could have wagered up to 2999 without risking falling behind Steve, while still forcing Gilbert to get it right if Tyler were correct. I'm not sure his lower wager was a logical one.
Wagering = There's absolutely nothing wrong with betting to take the lead by $1 when you're between 3/4 and 4/5 like Tyler was. It was perfectly logical. All 3 FJ bets tonight were excellent.
Gilbert had a strong case for caping his wager at 801, if he felt uncomfortable with the category.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I bet that one of the unrevealed clues in the albums category was about Aerosmith.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I was not a fan of the $800 clue in the SCIENCE category. It was purely about the nomenclature, not the strict definition; noting that valence electrons are involved is otherwise completely irrelevant, as they determine all bonds, including covalent AND ionic. It would be like asking for a country and explaining that it has a flag, when the answer is Germany. (Again, ignoring wordplay)

Yeah, okay, they showed a molecule of water, although recalling whether it had QUITE enough of an electronegativity difference to qualify as ionic or was just a polar covalent is vastly harder than the rest of the category, including the trivial $1000 clue. (It's the latter, being 1.34 when it needs over 1.8 to qualify as ionic)

The FJ made me laugh, since for a split-second, I was deciding between "Our American Cousin" and "My American Cousin", before concluding it was the former before Alex had finished reading.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I guess I'm in the lonely category of boardies who could easily have named the play at which Lincoln was shot. I could even have told you that the word "sockdologizing" was used in the last line of the play he ever heard. It just never occurred to me to name the play. I figured there was some play about Lincoln's life that had finally closed in 1915. So I went with "What is Lincoln?" My backup guess was "What is Ford?" Sigh.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I guess not knowing Casablanca is the new normal. Pity. It's been a trivia staple for years, a definite must-know. And deservedly so, in my opinion. I yelled "Pull the lever!!!" at Alex when that clue went begging. (That's the lever that opens the trap doors when all three contestants have lost the right to continue. :lol: )
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:39 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:30 pm Let's talk FJ. Again, I figured out the TOM in the clue. I thought the play was An American Cousin, but I wasn't sure about the first word. Recalling lessons learned here, I left the initial article off, and went with American Cousin. Judges?

FJ wagering - Gilbert stuck to the script, covering a double by Tyler. Tyler's wager would have put him $1 ahead of Gilbert on a correct response, forcing Gilbert to also get it right. But a zero wager by the leader is pretty unlikely. He could have wagered up to 2999 without risking falling behind Steve, while still forcing Gilbert to get it right if Tyler were correct. I'm not sure his lower wager was a logical one.
Response = Hard no. "my" and "our" are adjectives, not articles. They cannot be dropped.

Wagering = There's absolutely nothing wrong with betting to take the lead by $1 when you're between 3/4 and 4/5 like Tyler was. It was perfectly logical. All 3 FJ bets tonight were excellent.
they are possessive pronouns