Wednesday, January 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7678, 2018-01-17

Gilbert Collins game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Lee Quinn, a teacher from Raleigh, North Carolina
Amanda Griggs, a librarian from Iron Mountain, Michigan
Gilbert Collins, a university administrator from Princeton, New Jersey (whose 5-day cash winnings total $84,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Johnny. In his own, very quiet way, Gilbert, as you just heard, has won five days in a row. Somebody on our staff calculated, Gilbert, that if you wind up winning as much money as Ken Jennings did on his big run, you will owe your two children $32,000.

[Laughter]

Alex: Keep that in mind as you face Amanda and Lee. Good to have you here. Good luck. Here we go...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GALAPAGOS ADAPTATION (5/5) (Alex: You get to join me in the Galapagos, as we deal with...)
FOOD STUFF (4/5)
PRESIDENTIAL BURIAL PLACES (5/5)
THE 1893 CHICAGO WORLD'S FAIR (5/5)
ORIGINAL LINEUPS (5/5)
THE "IS" STORM (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lee: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Gilbert: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Amanda: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Gilbert found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Gilbert had $800, Amanda was in the red with -$200, and Lee was at $600. Gilbert wagered $1,000.

THE "IS" STORM $800: This adjective is from the Greek for "equal-legged"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Gilbert: $3,800
Lee: $3,400
Amanda: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Lee Quinn is a teacher, but he's also a musician. And you were in a band that invented, I understand, your own genre of music.

Lee: Yeah.

Alex: What was it exactly?

Lee: Well, we were playing in a show, and a friend asked, "What does this sound like?" And we said, "Well, it's disco country fatback." And you know, there's a dobro, and I'm playing the clarinet, but there's definitely a hi-hat on the backbeat.

Alex: Okay.

Lee: You had to be there.

Alex: Had to be there, right.

Alex: Amanda Griggs, librarian, from Iron Mountain, Michigan. And like many of our contestants, you collect.

Amanda: I do. It all started when I was in college. We--I took this class all about Stanley Kubrick, and our professor gave us an impossible question. And if we got it right, we were getting a prize. Well, I got it right. The prize was Jack Daniel's shot glass, and I decided this was the universe telling me that I should collect shot glasses.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Gilbert Collins, of course, is our champion. You have met three presidents in a very short period of time. What were the circumstances?

Gilbert: That's right. I was working for the U.S. government in humanitarian relief in D.C., and helped out with the South Asian tsunami response. And so President George W. Bush came to thank us, as did President Clinton and H.W. Bush.

Alex: All three of them. Way to go.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FOOD STUFF $800: Mom gives you some TLC with this beloved comfort food with the initials TNC

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lee: $7,200
Gilbert: $6,200
Amanda: $3,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A BANNER YEAR (5/5)
DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS (4/5)
FORBES WEALTHIEST FAMILIES IN THE U.S. (3/5)
WORLD CAPITALS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE TV DEVIL (4/5)
IN THE "D" TALES (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lee: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Gilbert: 7 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Amanda: 4 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Gilbert snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Gilbert had $7,800, Amanda had $4,200, and Lee was at $6,000. Gilbert wagered $4,000.

WORLD CAPITALS $1200: This capital is just a 3-hour voyage cross the Rio de la Plata from Buenos Aires
(Gilbert: What is... Santiago?)
(Alex: Capital of Uruguay.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lee who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Gilbert had $7,400, Amanda had $4,200, and Lee was at $12,400. Lee wagered $4,000.

IN THE "D" TALES $800: The full title of this novel includes "El Ingenioso Hidalgo"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD CAPITALS $800: Among the many sights to see in this capital is the home where Albert Einstein lived from 1903 to 1905
(Lee: What is Vienna?)
(Amanda: What is Berlin?)

IN THE "D" TALES $1600: This Thomas Mann novella mentions the "airy splendor of the...Bridge of Sighs, the columns of lion and saint on the shore"

IN THE "D" TALES $2000: In this novel by George Eliot, the title character discovers that he is Jewish

THE TV DEVIL $1600: Sam Oliver worked as a bounty hunter who captures fugitive souls for the devil on this "grim" show

FORBES WEALTHIEST FAMILIES IN THE U.S. $800: The Carnegie family didn't make the list, but this other Pennsylvania family did, landing at No. 22 with $11.5 billion
(Gilbert: What is Heinz?)

DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS $2000: Diacritical mark used to represent vowel sounds like the A in ago

FORBES WEALTHIEST FAMILIES IN THE U.S. $2000: Hyatt Hotels has been good for this Chicago family, No. 7 with $29 billion

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lee: $21,200 (lock game)
Gilbert: $9,400
Amanda: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPECIAL DAYS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Lee: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Gilbert: Wager $3,801 to cover Amanda.
Amanda: Risk between $0 and $1,000, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1954 act amended a 1938 one by striking out this word & replacing it with "Veterans"

FINAL SCORES
Amanda: $6,600 - $6,000 = $600 (What is Armed servicemen?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Gilbert: $9,400 + $3,801 = $13,201 (What is Armistice) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lee: $21,200 + $1,200 = $22,400 (What is Armistice?) (New champion: $22,400)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lee: $18,000, 23 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Gilbert: $13,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Amanda: $6,600, 11 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $37,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Lee: 24/59 = .407
Gilbert: 18/60 = .300
Amanda: 11/58 = .190
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FOOD STUFF $200: When only Blue Point oysters will do, know that they come from this ocean
(Amanda: What is the Arctic?)

PRESIDENTIAL BURIAL PLACES $1000: Kinderhook, New York
[Applause for Lee running the category.]

THE 1893 CHICAGO WORLD'S FAIR $200: Illuminated by thousands of lightbulbs, the building seen here was devoted to this new innovation for the home

THE 1893 CHICAGO WORLD'S FAIR $600: The building at the fair where the Liberty Bell was on display was modeled after this famous building in Philly

GALAPAGOS ADAPTATION $200: (Alex presents the clue from the Galápagos.) Lava lizards on the islands have developed distinctive coloring to match their volcanic surroundings; it's a great example of this kind of defensive adaptation

GALAPAGOS ADAPTATION $400: (Alex presents the clue from the Galápagos.) The rare Galápagos penguin--remember, we're close to the equator--thrives on the nutrient-rich, cold waters that well up from the depths of the ocean; thus, the warmer waters of this Spanish-named weather phenomenon can be disastrous to it

GALAPAGOS ADAPTATION $600: (Alex presents the clue from the Galápagos.) The marine iguana is the world's only marine lizard; among its adaptations are special glands that allow it to sneeze out this compound that it ingests too much of when it dives in the ocean

GALAPAGOS ADAPTATION $800: (Alex presents the clue from the Galápagos.) The vice-governor of the Galápagos, Nicholas Lawson, told Charles Darwin that he could tell just by sight which island a tortoise came from; now, that was a fortuitous observation that came in very handy when Darwin released this groundbreaking work in 1859

GALAPAGOS ADAPTATION $1000: (Alex presents the clue from the Galápagos.) The pigment carotenoid, from the fish they consume, is the source of the blue on the feet of these birds--the brighter the blue, the healthier they appear to potential mates
(Alex: I do want to take a moment to thank Lindblad Expeditions and National Geographic for all of their great help in the Galápagos Islands while we were recording clues.)

WORLD CAPITALS $400: Its monument to the discoveries on the Tagus depicts several explorers with Henry the Navigator leading the way
(Lee: What is Portugal?)

WORLD CAPITALS $2000: Barack Obama Sr. died in a car accident Nov. 24, 1982 in this city
(Alex: In Kenya.)

A BANNER YEAR $400: The flags and sign take a stand in a referendum held in this year

A BANNER YEAR $800: Note the tricolor flags as a big city gets a little freedom in this year
(Alex: Liberation of Paris.)

A BANNER YEAR $1200: Celebrants stand on a crumbling wall in this year
(Alex: Fall of the Berlin Wall.)

A BANNER YEAR $1600: A local march gets nationwide help in this year

A BANNER YEAR $2000: A Bohemian city has a memorable spring in this year
(Alex: Prague Spring.)
[Applause for Lee running the category.]

FORBES WEALTHIEST FAMILIES IN THE U.S. $400: At No. 15, this Delaware family shares $14.3 billion in chemical money--but they share it among more than 3,500 members
(Gilbert: What is Dow?)

THE TV DEVIL $2000: Mark Pellegrino has a devil of a time playing a lord of hell on this CW show

FORBES WEALTHIEST FAMILIES IN THE U.S. $1600: Nearly $18 billion in cosmetics money is shared by the heirs of this New Yorker with a French-sounding name

CORRECT RESPONSES
isosceles
a tuna noodle casserole
Montevideo
Don Quixote (de la Mancha)
Bern, Switzerland
Death in Venice
Daniel Deronda
Reaper
the Mellon family
a schwa
the Pritzker family
armistice
the Atlantic
Martin Van Buren
electric lighting
Independence Hall
camouflage
El Niño
salt
On the Origin of Species
the blue-footed booby
Lisbon
Nairobi
DuPont
Supernatural
Estee Lauder
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPECIAL DAYS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1954 act amended a 1938 one by striking out this word & replacing it with “Veterans”

Gilbert Collins: 9400+3801=13201
Amanda Griggs: 6600-6000=600
Lee Quinn: 21200+1200=22400 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Armistice (Amanda – servicemen [She had something crossed out that may have been “Armed.”)

Daily Doubles
Gilbert: 800+1000
Gilbert: 7800-4000
Lee: 12400+4000

Coryats
Gilbert: 13200
Amanda: 6600
Lee: 18000

Combined: 37,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Gilbert: 6200
Amanda: 3800
Lee: 7200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex opened the show by invoking the name Ken Jennings in association with Gilbert’s kids getting a cut of the winnings. Bye champ.

Lee ran PRESIDENTIAL BURIAL PLACES & A BANNER YEAR for a smooth $9000 added to his score. If the show was looking for 15 teachers for its Teacher Tournament then I have to wonder how strong will that field will be or was Lee so strong that the producers decided to put in him regular play.

The DD2 placement in WORLD CAPITALS sucked for Gilbert as he missed that one while he solved the $1600 and $2000 clues. Just as easily Lee could have found that DD and I wonder if he would have got the right city.

Lee did find DD3 and unlike Gilbert converted it for 4000 to the good. The game was a runaway at the end of the DJ! Round with Gilbert not trying anything on clue 30 for $2000 in FORBES: Hyatt Hotels has been good for this Chicago family, No. 7 with $29 billion

That is a tough one to take a blind guess and get lucky to prevent the lock.

The FJ! clue had me checking my work, “Memorial Day was Decoration Day” to make sure I was not mixing up former names of holidays. Okay, done. I then also took the time to make sure I spelled it correctly since I’ve said it many times while watching J! while never having to write it.

I was sure Lee had it based on his two prior category runs being in the history area.

It was a nice run of games by Gilbert and he can enjoy his time on the TOC tracker. He will fall down many rungs along the way, but he’ll be standing in a group photo at some later date. If it took six days for Gilbert to get to “I’ve met 3 presidents” for his chat session he should have plenty more stories for the TOC.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not Gilbert's day, but his kids pick up an extra $20 in hopes of getting another $2,500 later on. I agree with Mark that having three presidents stroll through your office makes for a pretty cool memory.

The other day Alex commented on Steven and Tyler being in the same game and we had Aerosmith pop up today.

Instaget FJ here.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:57 pm Lee did find DD3 and unlike Gilbert converted it for 4000 to the good. The game was a runaway at the end of the DJ! Round with Gilbert not trying anything on clue 30 for $2000 in FORBES: Hyatt Hotels has been good for this Chicago family, No. 7 with $29 billion

I realize it's the bottom row, but maybe an architecture prize TOM would have been in order?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lee's genre of music sounds fun.

How should I know what ocean Blue Point Oysters come from? That seemed very random.

Ran the Galapagos category, and INXS was my only miss in Lineups.

NHO "Lucifer" on FOX.

Skunked "Is" Storm, which is rare for me in a word category.

Lach Trash: schwa

No guess on FJ!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:57 pm Lee did find DD3 and unlike Gilbert converted it for 4000 to the good. The game was a runaway at the end of the DJ! Round with Gilbert not trying anything on clue 30 for $2000 in FORBES: Hyatt Hotels has been good for this Chicago family, No. 7 with $29 billion

I realize it's the bottom row, but maybe an architecture prize TOM would have been in order?
No misses in Chicago. One of their clan is running incessant gubernatorial campaign ads during Jeopardy! (and is featured in an FBI wiretap in a rival's ad.) My God, it's running right now.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

I used to teach at Carnegie Mellon, and I still bit on the Heinz negbait. Doesn't help when you just think of the place as CMU.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:28 pm How should I know what ocean Blue Point Oysters come from? That seemed very random.
As a vegetarian (and a teetotaler), a lot of the food and drink questions are lost on me. I don't pay much attention to special, rare (or even common) foods and drinks. So I'm in the same boat as you, here.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

acthomas wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:15 pm I used to teach at Carnegie Mellon, and I still bit on the Heinz negbait. Doesn't help when you just think of the place as CMU.
I thought of Mellon as a contrast to Carnegie, but I don't know anything about the name except for the university. I had no idea the family was wealthy, and while it would have been my best guess, I wouldn't have been confident enough to risk it (unless I had to, in a DD).
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

You have to be in some sort of blue oyster cult to have gotten "Atlantic"

I would have liked Gilbert to take a stab at the last clue, even just to make a joke. As a former Chicagoan, I know the Pritzkers well, but even a guess of "Hilton" would have been worth it.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

If When I get on the show, I'll be at least the third teacher with that last name. I can't even be the first Teachers Tournament winner with that last name.
I too was expecting someone to go the wrong way with "Decoration" for FJ. "Armistice" should poll well above 50% here.
There was an LL question a few seasons ago about "isotherms," which would've been more appropriate for $1000 than "isobars."
Hoping for a third lap
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I almost went wrong with Decoration Day, stuck with Armistice. 8-)
only trash pickup was the Montevideo DD & schwa. Ran Original Lineup.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Isosceles was a good get by Gilbert. All I could come up with was isometric

Said Tuna Casserole, dropping the “N”oodle and losing the points

Why not call FJ category HOLIDAYS AND OBSERVANCES? SPECIAL DAYS is completely ridiculous

Even in a runaway, I’m sad when the 3rd place player misses Final and disappoints Alex

Death in Venice comes up a lot, usually to the general befuddlement of the contestants

Blurted Dante's Inferno when they wanted Divine Comedy

Gilbert didn’t pick up on the ICE STORM pun and called “is storm”

Couldn’t tell if the other players were trying to buzz in when Lee ran those 2 categories

Bummer for Gilbert on Montevideo
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Galapagos (3), Food (2), Presidential (4), Fair (4), Lineup (5), "IS" Storm (3)
Year (5), Dictionary (1), Forbes (2), Capitals (4), TV (3), "D" Tales (3)

Lach Trash: Death in Venice; Daily Double: Montevideo

Instaget FJ.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Congrats to the new champ. I was worried someone would misspell armistice because it's a tricky word.

I precalled Trump in billionaires but it didn't happen. How many times in 2017 did they ask about him?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

floridagator wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:27 pm Congrats to the new champ. I was worried someone would misspell armistice because it's a tricky word.

I precalled Trump in billionaires but it didn't happen. How many times in 2017 did they ask about him?
A quick search of the archive suggests he was mentioned in several clues in 2017 but the only one that was really directly about him was on June 20: "The 45th pres. has changed the way the office talks to the public, including the use of this personal Twitter handle"
davey

Post by davey »

Furious with myself for mixing up Memorial Day with Veterans Day and going with "Decoration." I realized my mistake just as the :30 was coming to a close... :twisted: I'll have to console myself that I came up with Daniel Deronda...
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I can confirm that it takes about 3 hrs to go from BA to Montevideo via ferry & then bus. I think Lee Quinn was in my tryout in October 2016 which makes him only the 2nd person to make it onto the show. I ran the 2 categories he ran plus World Capitals.