Wednesday, January 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

First thing I thought of was Remembrance Day and I almost turned my brain off. Any of our Canadian boardies get suckered into that response? I kept thinking and switched to Armistice pretty quickly. Only vaguely familiar with Decoration Day, so that wasn't in the brain vault to distract me.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bye Bye, Gilbert. You ran into a buzz saw, and we will probably see Lee for a while. The isosceles get was epic - I made up a word "isolateral", trying to get to "legs". Your two open misses late today were the first ones I know of in your run. The DD was a tough one, but it all didn't matter today.

For you oysterphobes, I think menus used to list "Eastern blue point oysters", which of course infers the Atlantic. I knew this detail somehow and chuckled at the "Arctic" guess- someone mixed up the World's deadliest catch.

I guessed Rockefeller as the rival to Carnegie. I think I still had oysters on my mind, and btw, Oysters Rockefeller are my new favorite seafood preparation. Had them on a cruise ship last fall.

No problem for this Baby Boomer and son of WW2 infantry grunt to get Armistice Day. But I could see this factoid getting tougher and tougher by the generation. Again the writers give a nice historical wrinkle and I learn something to replace the forty things I forgot today. :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $33,000
DDs: 1/3
FJ!: :mrgreen:

First had "remembrance" written down, then went back and forth a couple times before keeping the correct response.

This is as good a night as I've had in a while. Thanks to World Capitals and Food & Drink for that. Lots of wordplay/vocabulary as well.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

39 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Bern, (Montevideo), Death in Venice, Daniel Deronda
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:20 pm Blurted Dante's Inferno when they wanted Divine Comedy
Starts with a "D", I'm counting it. :D
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:09 pm First thing I thought of was Remembrance Day and I almost turned my brain off. Any of our Canadian boardies get suckered into that response? I kept thinking and switched to Armistice pretty quickly. Only vaguely familiar with Decoration Day, so that wasn't in the brain vault to distract me.
This American bit on that. "Changed to Veterans Day? Remembrance!" Never looked back. :?
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 pm I guessed Rockefeller as the rival to Carnegie. I think I still had oysters on my mind, and btw, Oysters Rockefeller are my new favorite seafood preparation. Had them on a cruise ship last fall.
Eating on a cruise ship, and seafood no less?! I salute your bravery!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dabiga06
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by dabiga06 »

Kind of silly question but what was the musical instrument that Lee played?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OSXpert wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 pm I would have liked Gilbert to take a stab at the last clue, even just to make a joke. As a former Chicagoan, I know the Pritzkers well, but even a guess of "Hilton" would have been worth it.
My two thoughts were Hilton and Marriott. Would have never come up with Pritzker without a architecture prize hint.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:05 am
OSXpert wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 pm I would have liked Gilbert to take a stab at the last clue, even just to make a joke. As a former Chicagoan, I know the Pritzkers well, but even a guess of "Hilton" would have been worth it.
My two thoughts were Hilton and Marriott. Would have never come up with Pritzker without a architecture prize hint.
The Hiltons are Lutheran and every Marriott room has "The Book of Mormon" (not the musical) in the drawer next to the Bible.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

Ignore my previous post. I misheard what the contestant said.
Last edited by lindap on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

dabiga06 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 pm Kind of silly question but what was the musical instrument that Lee played?
Clavinet.

One of my favorite bands is NRBQ and they featured the instrument.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I'm a fan of Lee and will be rooting for him for one simple reason; he did a good job preparing.

He was probably good at history regardless, but the astonishingly quick responses on the speed category (Presidential Burial Places) and the nice, fast precision on the year category indicate he spent a lot of time memorizing facts/dates, which itself shows he studied and took his appearance on the show seriously. I respect that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

harrumph wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 am
dabiga06 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 pm Kind of silly question but what was the musical instrument that Lee played?
Clavinet.

I recognized both clavinet and Dobro.

I know NRBQ entirely because former guitarist Al Anderson wrote a lot of country songs in the late 90s-early 2000s.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

harrumph wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 am
Clavinet.

I'll buy you an RC Cola and a moon pie the next time I see you (well, actually the first, but hey ...).
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

tiwonge wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:25 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:28 pm How should I know what ocean Blue Point Oysters come from? That seemed very random.
As a vegetarian (and a teetotaler), a lot of the food and drink questions are lost on me. I don't pay much attention to special, rare (or even common) foods and drinks. So I'm in the same boat as you, here.
As a vegan (and an occasional imbiber), I'm in basically the same boat when it comes to the food categories. Got the oyster question though, because my mom's originally from Long Island and she grew up in Blue Point.
I would prefer not to.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Nice run for Gilbert, and sorry to see him go. Still Lee earned his win the hard way, with superior play. Congrats to both.

The "endive" clue made me chuckle, remembering Dan Quayle's comment of "Belgium" (instead of "Belgian") endive. Like saying "France poodle." What a maroon. I miss the days when the worst stuff to come out of Washington was Dan Quayle jokes.

LT on Death in Venice and schwa. Mr. Jeter would have come back from the grave to haunt me if I hadn't jumped on Montevideo. His full-year course on western geography has really stuck with me over the decades.

I wonder how many over-40 vs. under-40 viewers got "Armistice." That's really an older reference (which of course I got right away).

If AT asked me whether I plan to give a percent of my winnings to my children, I'd say no, but that I figure to give about 25% to my uncle (Sam, that is). :roll:
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I'm having trouble finding any indication that a schwa is a type of diacritical mark. There are diacritics of various shapes that indicate the schwa sound in some languages, but in IPA it's represented by the stand-alone upside-down e symbol. Are there dictionaries that use that symbol as a diacritical mark, i.e., attached to a letter?
davey

Post by davey »

bbird wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 am I'm having trouble finding any indication that a schwa is a type of diacritical mark. There are diacritics of various shapes that indicate the schwa sound in some languages, but in IPA it's represented by the stand-alone upside-down e symbol. Are there dictionaries that use that symbol as a diacritical mark, i.e., attached to a letter?
I knew there was something about that clue that bothered me... :roll: Thanks for pointing this out.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

acthomas wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:15 pm I used to teach at Carnegie Mellon, and I still bit on the Heinz negbait. Doesn't help when you just think of the place as CMU.
Well, this CMU grad Pavlovianly immediately said "Mellon!". But I would have known it even if I had stopped to think about it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 am
acthomas wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:15 pm I used to teach at Carnegie Mellon, and I still bit on the Heinz negbait. Doesn't help when you just think of the place as CMU.
Well, this CMU grad Pavlovianly immediately said "Mellon!". But I would have known it even if I had stopped to think about it.
Out of curiosity, how do people at CMU pronounce Carnegie?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Unfortunately, I 50/50ed Decoration Day and Remembrance Day. Oops.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.