Thursday, January 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

Tough break on the DD's for the challengers, but Lee piled up enough first downs to control the game anyway. When they showed that painting clue, it might as well have been a fake missile alert. For the other DD, Adams wasn't a reasonable guess since you have to be 16 years removed from a teenager to be a POTUS.

NHO jack-tar. The homophones were miserable except in retrospect.

Easy guess on the triscuit, with the only doubt about how long they've been made. I thought they were a new product in the 70's.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:09 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:42 pm Well, I bailed out of this game when I realized they were serving up Movie Spoilers to my unspoiled children. After switching the channel, I asked my kids if they heard any of it, and they said "No, you were yelling too loud."
You are my kind of woman, Kara. I read your post out to Mrs. P and she laughed happily and said, "Good for her!"
We only just got those kids through The Mousetrap last Fall!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:39 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 pm I'd be surprised if that FJ polls under 90%.
That's probably a bit high. I'm sure there are some people who have never heard of Triscuits, I'd say 75-80%.
If someone posts that they've never heard of Triscuits I'm going to yell like squarekara.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Like the vegan
Spoiler
oyster
-missers from yesterday's thread, I'm a celiac Triscuit-misser. I tried to think of tri crackers, but I was using the wrong vowel sound.

I'm not sure how much LT there was in this game, but I felt like I got an unusually high amount of it. Not Columbia, but everything else I've seen anyone mention here.

I think I've seen exactly one episode of Two Fat Ladies, and they made bubble and squeak on it.
Last edited by dinghammer on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

^ My wife and I have been watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and we saw the episode tonight that your avatar comes from. What a hilarious show! Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go read the latest issue of Blimp Aficionado.
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

In the Crossword Clues "S" category (7 letters) where the correct response was "What is soprano?" I said "What is a soloist?" Judges?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:29 am
econgator wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:39 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 pm I'd be surprised if that FJ polls under 90%.
That's probably a bit high. I'm sure there are some people who have never heard of Triscuits, I'd say 75-80%.
If someone posts that they've never heard of Triscuits I'm going to yell like squarekara.
heard of them, but never came to me...have never eaten one before...give me a chicken in a biscuit for snack time, please
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

dinghammer wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 am Like the vegan
Spoiler
oyster
-missers from yesterday's thread, I'm a celiac Triscuit-misser. I tried to think of tri crackers, but I was using the wrong vowel sound.

I'm not sure how much LT there was in this game, but I felt like I got an unusually high amount of it. Not Columbia, but everything else I've seen anyone mention here.

I think I've seen exactly one episode of Two Fat Ladies, and they made bubble and squeak on it.
same for me
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

as soon as i saw the category "prisoner of war camps" i was ready for this one:

james clavell based his novel "king rat" on his experience at this japanese prison of war camp in singapore.

what is "changi"?

but i was left holding my breath.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:14 pm Marilyn's math was way off the mark with John Adams being a teenager in 1781
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:49 pm For the other DD, Adams wasn't a reasonable guess since you have to be 16 years removed from a teenager to be a POTUS.
I think we should give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she was thinking of John Quincy Adams (who was 14 in 1781) and just missed the South Carolina tease out for Jackson.
I would prefer not to.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

dinghammer wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 am Like the vegan
Spoiler
oyster
-missers from yesterday's thread
Hey, I got that one! Albeit from a geography, rather than culinary, angle:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4521&start=20#p271149
I would prefer not to.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

alan tiger wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 am as soon as i saw the category "prisoner of war camps" i was ready for this one:

james clavell based his novel "king rat" on his experience at this japanese prison of war camp in singapore.

what is "changi"?

but i was left holding my breath.
Clues about Stalag 17 or Stalag 13 would have been good.

And yes, the stalagmite clue was well done.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

buckeyebrain wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:18 am In the Crossword Clues "S" category (7 letters) where the correct response was "What is soprano?" I said "What is a soloist?" Judges?
Good question. I also wondered if "What are singers?" would have worked. The clue was "BEVERLY SILLS OR MARIA CALLAS (7)". I suppose one could argue that the word "or" negates a plural response. But that would only be true if the clue read "BEVERLY SILLS XOR MARIA CALLAS (7)" (geek emoji). I think "soloist" would have had a decent chance of being accepted outright, or perhaps BMSed or accepted by a reversal judgment. I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome there and wouldn't have a lot of criticism for any ruling.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:45 pm I thought what the writers did with the "stalagmite" clue was pretty clever.
Ha! I didn't even notice and had to go back to look at it. Well done, writers!

acthomas

Post by acthomas »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:48 am
Foretopman wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:45 pm I thought what the writers did with the "stalagmite" clue was pretty clever.
Ha! I didn't even notice and had to go back to look at it. Well done, writers!
Spoiler
This is pretty great. I missed it entirely because I was trying to recall the mnemonic for which is which: stalactites hang from the ceiling, stalagmites come from the ground.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

I always remembered it as the ones that hang from the ceiling have to hang on "tite".
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Mark Barrett, could we make Jack-Tar a poll item? Although I've heard the term tar for a sailor, Jack-Tar went right over my head (all I could think of was the Jack Tar hotel in SF, which I'd always thought was named for an actual person :oops: )
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:40 am
buckeyebrain wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:18 am In the Crossword Clues "S" category (7 letters) where the correct response was "What is soprano?" I said "What is a soloist?" Judges?
Good question. I also wondered if "What are singers?" would have worked. The clue was "BEVERLY SILLS OR MARIA CALLAS (7)". I suppose one could argue that the word "or" negates a plural response. But that would only be true if the clue read "BEVERLY SILLS XOR MARIA CALLAS (7)" (geek emoji). I think "soloist" would have had a decent chance of being accepted outright, or perhaps BMSed or accepted by a reversal judgment. I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome there and wouldn't have a lot of criticism for any ruling.
In crosswords, a series with "or" always requires a singular response. I don't know about the other one. When Maria Callas sang, she was always a soprano. She wasn't always a soloist...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=%2 ... &FORM=VIRE
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I suppose if the judges wanted to be real sticklers they could argue only SOPRANO is acceptable because it's a category about crossword clues. In a real crossword puzzle you need to put down exactly what the puzzle writer intended, after all. I don't think Jeopardy! would be that strict, however.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:45 pm
I supposed if the judges wanted to be real sticklers they could argue only SOPRANO is acceptable because it's a category about crossword clues. In a real crossword puzzle you need to put down exactly what the puzzle writer intended, after all. I don't think Jeopardy! would be that strict, however.
For that reason, count me in favor of "soloist". "What the puzzle writer intended" is about all of the clue definition, word length and cross-clues, and we have each of those here (though only one cross to respect).

But! In that vein, it would make for an interesting ToC-level question to have the same clue, with _ _ L _ _ _ _ appended.