Thursday, January 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7679, 2018-01-18

CONTESTANTS
Marilyn Rose, a quilt teacher & retired legal secretary from Ridgeland, Mississippi
Ryan Graham, an account manager from Los Angeles, California
Lee Quinn, a teacher from Raleigh, North Carolina (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, folks. Looks like we've kind of turned the corner on Jeopardy! The last two days--rather large wins. Case in point, Lee, whose students are going to be very proud of his performance so far. Ryan and Marilyn, I hope you can help us keep this trend going. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round, one Daily Double in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BRITISH CABINETRY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIE SPOILERS (5/5)
SCIENCE VOCABULARY (5/5)
CROSSWORD CLUES "S" (4/5)
TARZAN (5/5)
JANE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lee: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Ryan: 10 R, 3 W
Marilyn: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lee: $3,400
Ryan: $1,200
Marilyn: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Marilyn Rose is from Mississippi. She is a retired legal secretary and, more importantly, a quilt teacher. What's the most important thing about quilting?

Marilyn: The most important thing is start and keep going and finish.

Alex: Now, is it better to work with other people as a group working on one quilt, or is it more fun doing it by yourself?

Marilyn: I find it more fun doing it by myself, but I belong to several different local quilt guilds, and we all share what we're doing with each other.

Alex: Do you try to tell a story in your quilt, or is it just an abstract, or...

Marilyn: A lot of times it's just an abstract, but I enjoy doing all kinds of quilting and teaching and sharing what I know with other people.

Alex: Good. You sell 'em?

Marilyn: No.

Alex: No?

Marilyn: No, most of them stay at home. I've got tons.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Ryan Graham, account manager from L.A. who is married to an Australian--

Ryan: Yes.

Alex: And you refer to her as...

Ryan: Well, when people ask her where she's from, I say she's from the south.

[Laughter]

Ryan: Which is technically true.

Alex: Yes, the far south in the Pacific. Okay. You have a good sense of humor.

Alex: Lee Quinn is a teacher. He's our champion. He's from North Carolina. He's a hiker, also.

Lee: Yes.

Alex: And has a favorite trail that you've hiked.

Lee: Yes, my favorite trail's the Hadrian's Wall trail in northern England, which goes coast to coast along the Roman fortifications and ruins, and it's beautiful. You get to meet all the sheep of northern England and all the historic sites too.

Alex: Now, I've been there, I've seen Hadrian's Wall. But in spots, it varies in height, doesn't it?

Lee: Right. In some spots, it's a rock high. In other spots, it's chest-high, head-high, Roman helmet-high.

Alex: But it's fun.

Lee: Yes.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marilyn found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Lee had $4,000, Ryan had $1,200, and Marilyn was at $1,200. Marilyn wagered $1,000.

BRITISH CABINETRY $800: Most cabinet meetings take place at a residence with this address

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CROSSWORD CLUES "S" $800: Jack-tar
(6)

JANE $1000: Her books like "The Death and Life of Great American Cities" argued for local planning & vibrant neighborhoods
(Ryan: Who is Jane Addams?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lee: $5,200
Marilyn: $5,000
Ryan: $4,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BIBLICAL ART (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
____ & ____ (5/5)
THE ATHLETE'S COLLEGE (4/5)
PRISONER OF WAR CAMPS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HOMOPHONIC ANIMALS (2/5)
PEAK TV (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lee: 12 R, 0 W
Ryan: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Marilyn: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ryan snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Lee had $10,000, Ryan had $9,400, and Marilyn was at $7,000. Ryan wagered $3,000.

BIBLICAL ART $1200: This Italian had a birth of religiosity late in life and painted works like "Mystic Nativity" in 1500
(Ryan: Who is... Titian?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Marilyn who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Lee had $15,600, Ryan had $6,800, and Marilyn was at $8,600. Marilyn wagered $5,000.

PRISONER OF WAR CAMPS $2000: The only president who had been a P.O. W., he was held in Camden, S.C. by the British while just a teenager in 1781
(Marilyn: Who is... Adams?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE ATHLETE'S COLLEGE $1200: Lou Gehrig, who ended up playing professionally not far away

HOMOPHONIC ANIMALS $400: This big marine mammal has been known to emit a plaintive cry when times are tough

HOMOPHONIC ANIMALS $800: This big ape sometimes joins the indigenous military to harass the enemy

HOMOPHONIC ANIMALS $1200: When this leaping insect can't pay rent, he just gets the heck out of Dodge
(Alex: Gets the heck out of Dodge. He flees.)

PEAK TV $800: "The Death Zone" is the first episode of the Discovery Channel TV series titled this mountain "Rescue"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lee: $18,400 (lock game)
Ryan: $8,000
Marilyn: $8,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SNACK FOODS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; prisoner's dilemma for second place.
Lee: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Ryan: Bet $0 or $8,000.
Marilyn: Likewise, wager $0 or $8,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this cracker that's been around since 1903 suggests that it was baked 3 times

FINAL SCORES
Marilyn: $8,000 + $7,995 = $15,995 (What is Triskit?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ryan: $8,000 - $2,000 = $6,000 (What is :) ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Lee: $18,400 + $2,000 = $20,400 (What is Triscuit?) (2-day champion: $42,800)
(Alex: Put a little Brie on this, and you are in hog heaven.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lee: $18,400, 23 R, 0 W
Marilyn: $12,800, 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Ryan: $11,000, 16 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $42,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Lee: 24/58 = .414
Ryan: 16/59 = .271
Marilyn: 13/60 = .217
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CROSSWORD CLUES "S" $200: Swipe from a store
(8)
(Marilyn: What is steal?)

CROSSWORD CLUES "S" $400: Beverly Sills or Maria Callas
(7)
(Ryan: What is singer?)

JANE $400: Briefly Queen of England in 1553--9 days brief
(Ryan: What is Jane Seymour?)

SCIENCE VOCABULARY $800: (Sarah shows an insect on the monitor.) This section of an insect's body takes its name from the Latin for "breastplate"

JANE $800: In 1915, this Chicago social reformer organized the Woman's Peace Party and became president of the International Congress of Women

TARZAN $400: Elmo Lincoln was the first actor to play Tarzan on film in this year that also saw the end of a war

BIBLICAL ART $400: They're the father & son in the 1908 work seen here

BIBLICAL ART $800: Tintoretto depicted the moment in the book of Exodus when this man struck the rock

BIBLICAL ART $1600: Here's Lot fleeing his former home as the Lord destroys these two wicked cities

BIBLICAL ART $2000: In the lithograph seen here, the priest Eli teaches this Biblical prophet as a boy

PEAK TV $400: "Mile-High Mutt" is a 2015 episode of "Dr. Jeff", about a vet working in these mountains
(Ryan: What are the Appalachians?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
10 Downing Street
a sailor
Jane Jacobs
Botticelli
Andrew Jackson
Columbia
whale
a gorilla
a flea
Mount Everest
Triscuit
shoplift
soprano
Lady Jane Grey
thorax
Jane Addams
Abraham and Isaac
Moses
Sodom and Gomorrah
Samuel
the Rockies
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SNACK FOODS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this cracker that’s been around since 1903 suggests that it was baked 3 times

Lee Quinn: 18400+2000=20400 (2x = $42,800)
Ryan Graham: 8000-2000=6000
Marilyn Rose: 8000+7995=15995

Correct response:
Spoiler
Triscuit (Ryan – smiley face) (Marilyn – Triskit)

Daily Doubles
Marilyn: 1200+1000
Ryan: 9400-3000
Marilyn: 8600-5000

Coryats
Lee: 18400
Ryan: 11000
Marilyn: 12800

Combined: 42,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Lee: 5200
Ryan: 4200
Marilyn: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jack-Tar (6) in CROSSWORD CLUES “S” was an 0/4 (TS + me) that cost me a run of the category as I only knew the name as a local hotel back in the day and from the Hackman movie The Conversation.

Marilyn cost Lee a lot of money with her failing to solve DD3. Ryan failing to solve DD2 also cost Lee the chance to pad his wallet more.

Lee did not care for the HOMOPHONIC ANIMALS category as after getting the $1600 clue he said, “Let’s end the misery for 2.” It got a laugh although I think it’s in better taste for contestants to keep things on the more positive side.

I thought I was finished with hearing about the guy until August and then the writers had to put Drew Brees in THE ATHLETE’S COLLEGE.

Marilyn got the Georgia Civil War facility in PRISONER OF WAR CAMPS to get that response back on track after TS clues in its previous two appearances.

The FJ! clue was a no doubter for response and for spelling. Too bad for Ryan Graham the clue was not about the digestive crackers made by Rev. Sylvester.

If there is any weakness in Lee’s game it’s only being 1/6 for finding DDs so far. His opponents are 2/5 on solving them, so those clues are helping him with scores going mostly in reverse.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Well, I bailed out of this game when I realized they were serving up Movie Spoilers to my unspoiled children. After switching the channel, I asked my kids if they heard any of it, and they said "No, you were yelling too loud."
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $24,800
DDs: 1/3
LT: whale, gorilla
FJ!: :mrgreen:

Being Canadian and having some experience with French is definitely an asset with today's FJ!. "Thrice cooked" --> "tri" + "cuit". Drop in an "S" and you're good to go.

Was surprised they let "triskit" go, but then it doesn't change the pronunciation (as was the case with something like "Emanciptation Proclamation").
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I was worried about Marilyn when she missed with "steal" on the 8-letter crossword clue, but she proved to be a contender with $5000 at the end of the Jeopardy! round to Lee's $5200

Ryan surprised me with the repeat response of "Who is Jane Adams?" Some tricksy categories ask for the same information in multiple clues, but this wasn't one of them

Marilyn's "What is $5000?" wager made me like her even more. I'm starting a beginner quilting class next week, so I bet she and I would get along just fine

Lee looked vulnerable until the back-to-back DD misses in the DJ round. Ryan missed Boticelli even with the "birth of" TOM. Marilyn's math was way off the mark with John Adams being a teenager in 1781

"whale/wail" went right over my head, but I quickly got the hang of it with gorilla, flea, lynx and tapir

Marilyn snatched up the last $2000 on the board, cementing her and Ryan's 2nd/3rd place fate

NHO bubble and squeak! then again, I'm 0% Anglophile
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

43 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Columbia, (Botticelli), (Andrew Jackson), Whale, Gorilla, Everest
Douglas Squasoni
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'd be surprised if that FJ polls under 90%.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 pm I'd be surprised if that FJ polls under 90%.
That's probably a bit high. I'm sure there are some people who have never heard of Triscuits, I'd say 75-80%.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I thought what the writers did with the "stalagmite" clue was pretty clever.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

British (4), Movie (4), Science (5), Crossword Clues "S" (0), Tarzan (3), Jane (3)
Biblicial (3), _&_ (3), Athlete (5), Prisoner (5), Animals (1), Peak TV (4)

Lach Trash: Columbia University, whale; Daily Doubles: Andrew Jackson, Botticelli

Instaget FJ.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:01 pm Was surprised they let "triskit" go, but then it doesn't change the pronunciation.
I guess the same courtesy is granted to Nabisco for "Chicken in a Biskit."
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm Jack-Tar (6) in CROSSWORD CLUES “S” was an 0/4 (TS + me) that cost me a run of the category as I only knew the name as a local hotel back in the day and from the Hackman movie The Conversation.

I guessed, since they asked, that it might be sailor or seaman, on the order of "tar", which I have in fact seen in crosswords (though generally as the answer word). I only ever have seen the word "Jack-tar" when John Adams characterized some of the Boston Massacred as the outlandish sort.
I'm smart and I want respect.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Another clue that had me digging really deep - but in the end failing. Hadn't heard or seen Triscuits in nearly as long as Armistice Day.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:42 pm Well, I bailed out of this game when I realized they were serving up Movie Spoilers to my unspoiled children. After switching the channel, I asked my kids if they heard any of it, and they said "No, you were yelling too loud."
You are my kind of woman, Kara. I read your post out to Mrs. P and she laughed happily and said, "Good for her!"
davey

Post by davey »

I worried I might not do well on this FJ because - I tell myself - I'm not much of a snacker...But I agree with Alex - put a little Brie on a Triscuit - I like the Cracked Pepper in particular - and I'm a very happy snacker...
Do you think this was a product placement?
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 29, W: 3, costing 2000
Coryat: 20,800
FJ: :oops:
DD: 1/3 - matching with the players
LT: whale/wail, flea/flee, Mt. Everest

This game seemed a bit easier to me, and I think the player's scores (and relatively few LT clues) would agree. And they cleared the board for the third day in a row.

In FJ, I quickly grabbed onto "tri", but couldn't fill out the rest of the word. I got stuck on the long vowel sound, never getting to the short "i". Wrote down saltine just to have something on paper when time expired. Someone's gotta help keep the percentages down in the weekly poll. :)

I managed to correctly guess whale without fully understanding the category or clue. Then gorilla went by and I couldn't figure it out at all. So I rewound the tape and went over it again. Once I understood the category, the rest of the clues were pretty easy. That's a luxury you don't have in the game, and probably why Lee commented on ending the misery. I suspect he didn't figure things out until he got Lynx right.

Another great game by Lee. I hope he sticks around for a few more games.
--Peter
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I go to Andrew Jackson right away for the Daily Double. I don't know how she could have missed that when spotted the year and being a teenager and South Carolina. I think it would have been devilishly funny if Alex had asked for BMS on her guess of Adams.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

One of the rare games where I got multiple LT involving animals (horrible subject for me) and an FJ involving food (another terrible subject) that at least one contestant missed.

As strong as Lee played, Marilyn was one optimal DD wager and one very solvable DD away from having the lead late in Double Jeopardy. While he might end up being a super-champion and win over $100k anyways, a knowledgeable player like Lee would still benefit from DD hunting, even if he doesn't want to pair it with a consistent Forrest Bounce.

He seemed a bit nervous, but I was also surprised when Ryan repeated the correct response to the $800 Jane category for $1000.