Friday, January 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7680, 2018-01-19

Rachel Lindgren game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Sarah Daly, an attorney from Lakewood, Colorado
Rachel Lindgren, a fire lookout from Bend, Oregon
Lee Quinn, a teacher from Raleigh, North Carolina (whose 2-day cash winnings total $42,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. The good times are back with us. $42,000 and change for Lee. Rachel and Sarah, happy to have you with us. Good luck. Here we go. The first round of play today has these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A PERCUSSION DISCUSSION (4/5)
FINANCIAL GOBBLEDYGOOK (4/5)
THE BOSTON TANGLER (4/5)
STATES BY LAKES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT'S ALL FUN & GAMES (5/5)
SOMEONE LOSES AN I (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rachel: 12 R, 0 W
Lee: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Sarah: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lee found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Lee had $1,600, Rachel had $4,600, and Sarah had nothing in the bank. Lee wagered $1,100.

STATES BY LAKES $600: Lake Cadillac,
Lac Vieux Desert

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rachel: $4,800
Lee: $2,700
Sarah: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sarah Daly is an attorney from Colorado. I don't wanna talk about the law. I wanna talk about something you used to do. You were a prizewinner at it, and it has always fascinated me, watching people who are...

Sarah: I knew this was coming, because you did your own little dancing earlier.

Alex: Oh.

Sarah: I was an Irish step dancer as a kid.

Alex: Yeah. I think that's so much fun. Is it? Is it hard on your joints?

Sarah: It is. I feel like I'm 150.

[Laughter]

Alex: No.

Sarah: Yes.

Alex: You're looking at me when you say it.

Alex: Rachel Lindgren is a fire lookout from Bend, Oregon. I've often thought that being a fire lookout has to be one of the most boring, difficult jobs in the world. You're usually alone in a tower. For how many days at a time?

Rachel: It was only four days at a time. But it was 10-hour days, sometimes 13.

Alex: And nobody else there with you.

Rachel: It's actually a very visited lookout, the one I was at.

Alex: Oh, really?

Rachel: There's a river that goes right up to the top.

Alex: How high was the tower?

Rachel: The peak of the butte I was on was about 5,020 feet.

Alex: But the tower itself?

Rachel: It was only about two stories high.

Alex: Oh, that's too bad.

Rachel: It was a pretty short one.

Alex: So it's not difficult to climb.

Rachel: No.

Alex: It would be for me, though.

Alex: Lee Quinn is a teacher from Raleigh, North Carolina. And I have not asked you what subjects you teach.

Lee: Right, so I'm a history teacher, but the course that I currently teach is called Theory of Knowledge. And it's a really special course. It asks students to sort of question what they know and how they know it. And my goal is for them to come out of the course with better questions and more of a scope of what they don't know, so they can examine their curiosity and move on from there.

Alex: And do they rely on their cell phones and computers for background in this course? Or are they--

Lee: Not if they can get it past me.

Alex: Ah. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A PERCUSSION DISCUSSION $400: Modern Drummer's "Evolution of" this double-named drum went from "Chinese noisemaker to essential instrument"

FINANCIAL GOBBLEDYGOOK $200: The most widely used interest rate in the world, LIBOR is this city's "interbank offered rate"

STATES BY LAKES $1000: Tippecanoe Lake,
Cagles Mill Lake

THE BOSTON TANGLER $400: In 2008 it was this Manny "being Manny" when he tangled with teammate Kevin Youkilis in the Red Sox dugout

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lee: $6,900
Rachel: $6,800
Sarah: $2,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SERIAL KILLERS (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EASTERN ASIAN HISTORY (5/5)
TWO-WAY ADJECTIVES (4/5)
19th CENTURY OCCUPATIONS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CHANGING CHANGE (3/5)
SAY UNCLE! (4/5) (Alex: You have to tell us who is called "uncle" by each character we give you as part of the clue.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rachel: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Lee: 7 R, 0 W
Sarah: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rachel snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Lee had $8,500, Rachel had $8,400, and Sarah was at $5,200. Rachel wagered $2,000.

19th CENTURY OCCUPATIONS $1600: This person didn't drive trucks but rather horses or oxen hauling cargo
(Alex: Come on, Rachel.)
(Rachel: Oh...)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rachel who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Lee had $8,500, Rachel had $6,800, and Sarah was at $7,200. Rachel wagered $2,000.

SERIAL KILLERS $1600: Mistah Kurtz--he dead; in the April 1899 issue of Balckwood's Magazine thanks to this author
(Alex: Heart of Darkness, yes.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TWO-WAY ADJECTIVES $2000: This adjective can describe someone who lives in an eastern U.S. state capital, or in an Adriatic nation
(Alex: State capital is Albany, so we're going for [*].)

SERIAL KILLERS $800: Charles Dickens dragged out the death of Little Nell over installments of this "Old" novel

19th CENTURY OCCUPATIONS $1200: This person specialized in selling books as well as paper, pens, ink & other writing essentials

SERIAL KILLERS $1200: Stephen King senselessly snuffed out this mouse in part 3 of "The Green Mile"... he'd be back

SERIAL KILLERS $2000: In the May 1, 1886 issue of Graphic, this author killed off Lucetta & her unborn child in "The Mayor of Casterbridge"

SAY UNCLE! $2000: Dorothy Gale
(Sarah: Uncle... the guy?)

CHANGING CHANGE $1600: In 2015 New Zealand issued its first-ever colored coin to commemorate the centenary of the corps known by this acronym

CHANGING CHANGE $2000: If you keep 25-paise coins from this country on your nightstand, you are out of luck--they were demonetized in 2011
(Sarah: What is Italy?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rachel: $14,800
Lee: $13,300
Sarah: $4,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Rachel: Wager $11,801 to cover Lee. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $3,001.
Lee: Your score is within 4/5ths of Rachel's, so wager between $3,001 (venusian) and $4,499 (martian), beating Rachel's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Sarah's part.
Sarah: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Lee, but if Lee decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $1,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the only world capital whose name is derived from an Algonquin word

FINAL SCORES
Sarah: $4,400 + $4,000 = $8,400 (What is Ottawa) (3rd place: $1,000)
Lee: $13,300 + $10,300 = $23,600 (What is Ottawa?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Rachel: $14,800 + $10,000 = $24,800 (What is Ottawa?) (New champion: $24,800)
(Alex: [To Sarah] The capital of Canada.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rachel: $16,400, 21 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Lee: $12,800, 17 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Sarah: $4,400, 9 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Rachel: 22/60 = .367
Lee: 18/59 = .305
Sarah: 10/58 = .172
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A PERCUSSION DISCUSSION $200: Hey, mister, it's the small drum heard here, man

IT'S ALL FUN & GAMES $200: This move is your best option, player O

A PERCUSSION DISCUSSION $1000: All right, all right, all right, it's the finger-played instrument heard here

SOMEONE LOSES AN I $200: With out the "I" in her first name, actress Vergara would be this comfy item of furniture
(Alex: Yes, Sofia.)

SOMEONE LOSES AN I $400: If gymnast Comaneci forgot the "I" in her first name, she would be nothing--this word for nothing
(Alex: Nadia.)

SOMEONE LOSES AN I $600: It wouldn't be so bad if lyricist Gershwin lost his "I"--it would make him this Egyptian god
(Alex: Ira.)

SOMEONE LOSES AN I $800: If the lead actor from TV's "Coach" misplaced an "I", he would be this type of rocky peak
(Alex: For Craig Nelson.)

SOMEONE LOSES AN I $1000: If explorer Drake dropped the "I" overboard, he would become these units of currency
(Alex: For Francis.)

THE BOSTON TANGLER $800: This great 19th-century bare-knuckle heavyweight champ was known as the "Boston Strong Boy"

CORRECT RESPONSES
Michigan
tom-toms
London
Indiana
Manny Ramirez
a teamster
(Joseph) Conrad
Albanian
The Old Curiosity Shop
a stationer
Mr. Jingles
Thomas Hardy
Uncle Henry
the Anzacs
India
Ottawa
a tambourine
middle square
a bongo
a sofa
nada
Ra
a crag
francs
John L. Sullivan
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It’s the only world capital whose name is derived from an Algonquin word

Lee Quinn: 13300+10300=23600
Rachel Lindgren: 14800+10000=24800 (New Champ)
Sarah Daly: 4400+4000=8400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Ottawa

Daily Doubles
Lee: 1600+1100
Rachel: 8400-2000
Rachel: 6800+2000

Coryats
Lee: 12800
Rachel: 16400
Sarah: 4400

Combined: 33,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Lee: 6900
Rachel: 6800
Sarah: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Fire lookout is another good one for the J! occupation hall of fame. Lee should have been looking out for Rachel as she outplayed him to take the title.

Lee has many places in the game to look back on when he could have turned the tables. Both of the $1200 clues above the $1600 slot DDs were TS clues. When Rachel played both of her DD clues she bet the pretty 2K on the nose each time. That is a tip-off that the FJ! wager could be on the shy side or pretty number as well.

Lee needed $1500 more for the FJ! round. Author of The Mayor of Casterbridge, uncle of Dorothy Gale, New Zealand corps, country of 25-paise coins…any of those would have done it.

There were of course smaller combinations available as well: Dickens “Old” novel, the Manny of the Red Sox, double-name drum, state with Tippecanoe Lake…

It was not the difference, but it was a wagering waste when Lee left $500 on the table with his inexcusable 1600+1100 play on DD1. Why? STATES BY LAKES middle box should not scare anyone less than halfway through the J! round. Even if you are like me and have next to none traveling experience that is an automatic all-in bet.

Points to Rachel from those of the Star Wars fan club for getting the uncle of Luke Skywalker.

The only way I imagined a miss on the FJ! clue was having too many Os in either misspelling the city, giving the province or having a Watson meltdown and giving a certain wrong city.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I'm not really following the bets by Lee or Rachel. Lee probably assumed that Rachel would cover him, so why risk finishing in third? And if Rachel was going to go big, why not bet to cover Lee?
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Rachel's MSBIW was $2,999, so Lee beats her by a dollar if they are both wrong. Of course, that lets Sarah back in the game, but her wager gives him the win on a much harder FJ.

Alex: Did she do the math right?

No, she didn't. But she won anyway.

If I'm less than $2,000 down on the last clue and they are going for a country, I'm buzzing in. I doubt I'd have said India, but at least I gave it a shot.

I wasn't sure if the Algonquins were Canadian, but was certain Washington wasn't from their language so that left me with the capital of Alex's home and native land. He pretty much assured me I was right with his comments before the reveal.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Can't recall the exact wording of the clue, but we went with "drover" over "teamster." I definitely would've rung in on the "Uncle of Dorothy Gale," because it's so tantalizingly familiar. However, the name just wasn't coming, and I was left twisting in the wind. Turns out it's my husband's name. Double choke!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

See, 2nd place should've bet it all! That's definitely the wagering lesson we want to teach viewers at home. Yesiree. *sigh*

I'm trying to think of a way to miss this FJ. Maybe if you don't know what Algonquin is? That clue practically highlighted the US and Canada on a map.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

FJ: :mrgreen:

I loved the "someone lost an I" category.

My 11 year old misunderstood the one category as "Cereal Killers" and wouldn't stop laughing. I liked the twist on the theme and did surprisingly well in it. I was mildly surprised nobody got Mr. Jingles. I remember the identity of Mr. Jingles being a $200 or $300 question on the special Oscars edition of Millionaire back in its prime time run (one of the wrong answers being "electric chair").
Last edited by Ironhorse on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:32 pm See, 2nd place should've bet it all! That's definitely the wagering lesson we want to teach viewers at home. Yesiree. *sigh*

I'm trying to think of a way to miss this FJ. Maybe if you don't know what Algonquin is? That clue practically highlighted the US and Canada on a map.
Easy--you head south instead of north, when you really should know better, and get lost. :oops:
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Sad to see Lee go.. especially after the leader didn't cover! Congrats to Rachel anyhow, she played a good game.

Ashamed at myself at missing anything having to do with Boston sports, activities and such.. not too familiar with Sullivan until now, though. Surprised none of them got Manny Ramirez, especially after Lee snared the last three in that category.

Alex ensured me of a correct response with his comments as well.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

38 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Tom Tom, London, Indiana, Albanian, The Old Curiosity Shop, (Teamster), Thomas Hardy, ANZAC
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:39 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:32 pm See, 2nd place should've bet it all! That's definitely the wagering lesson we want to teach viewers at home. Yesiree. *sigh*

Easy--you head south instead of north, when you really should know better, and get lost. :oops:
By mixing up Algonquin with Aboriginal
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:07 pm LT: Tom Tom, London, Indiana, Albanian, The Old Curiosity Shop, (Teamster), Thomas Hardy, ANZAC, stationer
I started out poorly tonight but got it going after the first commercial break ;)

NHO ANZAC

keep missing Shogun whenever it comes up

Bombed on LAKES and UNCLES, found redemption in SERIAL KILLERS ("oh gosh!" :lol: )
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash pickup: London, Ramirez, The Old Curiosity Shoppe, teamster DD, ANZAC. Had Indiana but clammed. Could not think of Uncle Henry or Thomas Hardy for anything.
The contestants did not disappoint on the FJ!, should be a triget all day long. The wagers, on the other hand... :o :o
Pretty sure Sarah was in my tryout group in Denver.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:08 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:39 pm

By mixing up Algonquin with Aboriginal
Canberra would have been better than what I said, which was Lima.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 28, W: 3, costing 2800
Coryat: 17,600
FJ: :oops: :oops:
LT: London, tom-tom, stationer
DD: 1/3

Started out strong, with two wheelhouse categories in the J! round: music and finance (my avocation and vocation, respectively). Only missed the last clue in percussion by taking too long with my mental debate between bongo and conga.

I had a harder time with the DJ! round, including a stand and stare in the lit category and a dumb mistake on Luke's uncle. Was a bit surprised by the TS on the seller of office supplies. Those are still sold in stationery stores by stationers today. But then again, that's a part of my profession, so perhaps I'm biased on that one.

Final Jeopardy? That was easy today, wasn't it? The Algonquin are a native North American tribe of the Great Lakes region. Can't be Mexico City. Too far away. Can't be Washington, DC. That's named for some guy named George. Has to be the capital of Canada, which is Quebec. :oops: Today, I'm the poster child for ignorant American. Let the harassing begin. I earned it.

At least a number of Quebecois might agree with me. I'll take that as some consolation.
--Peter
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

I like Rachel but she better clean up her fj wagering if she wants to hang around for awhile.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

It's All Fun & Games for $200 -- I couldn't figure out what they wanted. The clue seemed way too vague. Also don't know what "clotheslining" is.

Yes, I got the Lake DD.

Ran the Drums category.

Blanked on the Uncle category though. They were all there except Uncle Henry, but I just couldn't pull any in time.

And an utter lack of guess leaves me 0/15 in 2018.

Lach Trash: tom-tom, Old Curiosity Shop, stationer