Tuesday, January 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7682, 2018-01-23

Rachel Lindgren game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Katie Champagne, a graduate student from Reno, Nevada
Alex Schindele, an investment analyst from Jersey City, New Jersey
Rachel Lindgren, a fire lookout from Bend, Oregon (whose 2-day cash winnings total $42,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, all. Thank you, Johnny. Our champion, Rachel, ended last week on a high note, becoming champ, and started this week on a high note, winning the game yesterday. $42,000 plus. Alex and Katie, it could happen to you as well. I'll wish all three of you good luck and put you to work now in the first round of play, with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WOMEN AUTHORS (2/2)
SOUNDS, INTERESTING (4/5)
HISTORIC LOSERS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PEPPERS (4/5)
CHARACTERS' FULL NAMES (5/5)
DOUBLE "D"s (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 10 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Katie: 7 R, 0 W
Rachel: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alex: $3,000
Katie: $2,000
Rachel: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Katie Champagne is a graduate student from Reno, Nevada. I love that decorative flower on your dress.

Katie: Thank you.

Alex: Now, you're a big fan of a very popular musical titled...

Katie: The Sound of Music.

Alex: Yeah. What about it?

Katie: I love it. I've seen the movie countless times. I've seen the stage show, and I've actually been to a couple of sing-along screenings of the movie.

Alex: Oh.

Katie: And once I went to a sing-along screening in costume.

Alex: Good for you. All right.

Alex Trebek: Alex Schindele from Jersey City, New Jersey. We had a cooking category all about peppers. You're an amateur cook, and you had a little episode that wasn't so pleasant?

Alex Schindele: Yeah, my friends decided to meet up for Thanksgiving one year. We rented out an AirBnb in New York, and you know, one guy was the cook. He was the only one who knew how to do it. He decided to cook the turkey. Everything was going well, but at some point we opened up the oven and flames started bursting out. So we were all running around like headless chickens. I was taking a video of the entire thing.

Alex Trebek: Oh, how nice.

Alex Schindele: Yeah.

Alex Trebek: So he's the one who knew how to do it, and he's the one who almost set fire to this rented unit.

Alex Schindele: Yes, and needless to say, I can't rent from AirBnB anymore.

[Laughter]

Alex Trebek: Yes, I would imagine that to be the case.

Alex: Rachel Lindgren, you have performed very well as a player on Jeopardy! And I wonder, and some of our staff have wondered also, about when you're on duty, doing fire lookout, you have a lot of spare time. Do you do a lot of reading? Is that where you picked up a great deal of your knowledge?

Rachel: I do a lot of reading. Yeah, probably a little bit of knowledge.

Alex: What kind of stuff do you read mostly? Fiction, nonfiction?

Rachel: I like--I've gotten into nonfiction lately.

Alex: Well, it's paying off on the program, isn't it?

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alex found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Rachel had $1,000, Alex had $3,800, and Katie was at $2,000. Alex wagered $2,000.

HISTORIC LOSERS $1000: Of the 1645 Battle of Naseby:
The forces of this king
(Alex Trebek: Alex?)
(Alex Schindele: Who is... Henry VIII?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PEPPERS $1000: Ah huh, cher, dis peppa, also call' a red peppa, is a powdah outta French Guiana & is big 'n Cajun cookin'

DOUBLE "D"s $800: A nickname for the Missouri River is "Big" this

HISTORIC LOSERS $600: Of the 431-404 B.C. Peloponnesian War:
This city-state that headed an alliance

SOUNDS, INTERESTING $1000: If you hear this cathedral's bells, installed in 1878, it's Sunday, or maybe there's news out of Buckingham Palace

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alex: $4,000
Katie: $3,800
Rachel: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A HISTORY OF VIOLINS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES (3/5)
SEAS OF THE WORLD (4/5)
ANIMALS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
QUESTIONABLE MOVIE TITLES (3/5)
IN THE HOUSE OF LORDS (1/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rachel: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Katie: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Alex: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rachel snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Rachel had $3,400, Alex had $4,400, and Katie was at $3,800. Rachel made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

ANIMALS $800: In 1846 Joseph Leidy found & identified in this farm animal Trichina spiralis, a parasite that can be transmitted to humans

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Katie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Rachel had $13,600, Alex had $4,000, and Katie was at $6,600. Katie wagered $1,000.

A HISTORY OF VIOLINS $2000: A viol has these on the fingerboard; a violin does not
(Alex: [Before Katie wagers] And we have less than a minute to go.)
(Katie: What are... notches?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANIMALS $1600: There were more than 200 million live views online during the 16-month pregnancy of April, one of these
(Katie: What's an elephant?)

ANIMALS $2000: In 2017 the oldest this type of aquatic mammal in captivity died at age 69 in a Florida county of the same name
(Alex Schindele: What is an orca?)

FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES $1200: Hebrew for "to life" or "to your health", it's used as a toast
(Rachel: What is mazel tov?)

FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES $2000: A criminal caught red-handed is said to be caught "in" this Latin phrase, "while the crime is blazing"

QUESTIONABLE MOVIE TITLES $400: The Tina Turner biopic

QUESTIONABLE MOVIE TITLES $2000: Peter Sellers psychoanalyzes Peter O'Toole & Tom Jones sings the title hit song

SEAS OF THE WORLD $1600: This sea opens to the Atlantic through the North Channel on the north & St. George's Channel on the south

A HISTORY OF VIOLINS $1600: In 2017 he marked 40 years of performing with fellow Israeli violin virtuoso Pinchas Zukerman

IN THE HOUSE OF LORDS $1600: Richard Rogers, also known as Lord Rogers of Riverside, designed this edifice on the Thames riverside
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rachel: $13,600
Katie: $7,600
Alex: $4,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY BROTHERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Rachel: Wager $1,601 to cover Katie, but no more than $5,599 so as not to fall behind Alex's doubled score.
Katie: You have the hope of surpassing Rachel if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,001 to force Rachel to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Alex.
Alex: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This character first appeared in "The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter", an 1893 story in London's Strand Magazine

FINAL SCORES
Alex: $4,000 - $0 = $4,000 (Who is Karumoz) (2nd place: $2,000)
Katie: $7,600 - $4,400 = $3,200 (Who is Sherlock Holmes?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Rachel: $13,600 - $1,601 = $11,999 (Who is Luigi) (3-day champion: $54,200)
(Alex: [To Katie] You're on the right track.)
(Alex: [To Rachel] The character that was introduced was Sherlock's brother, [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rachel: $11,000, 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Katie: $8,600, 13 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Alex: $6,000, 13 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $25,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Rachel: 14/59 = .237
Alex: 13/59 = .220
Katie: 13/59 = .220
Team: 40/63 = .635

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PEPPERS $400: When smoke-dried, this type of chile, seen here, is known as a chipotle

SOUNDS, INTERESTING $200: These mammals always seem eager to chat with us

SOUNDS, INTERESTING $400: The noise level of this type of cold-weather recreational item has been reduced by over 90% since the 1960s
(Rachel: What is a skimobile?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before Double Jeopardy!]

SOUNDS, INTERESTING $600: In the 1970s this metal brought a new sound to the national pastime

SOUNDS, INTERESTING $800: There's a cooking implement in the name of these dramatic noisemakers
(Alex Trebek: With less than a minute to go.)

WOMEN AUTHORS $1000: This author of "My Sister's Keeper" & "Nineteen Minutes" says she writes about the things that keep her up at night
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

ANIMALS $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows the giant shipworm on the monitor.) The giant shipworm comes out of its shell, & the bacteria inside allow it to digest the sulfur compound in the mud around it; it's not actually a worm, but from this shelled phylum

SEAS OF THE WORLD $400: See this sea? You've probably eaten plenty of fish caught there

SEAS OF THE WORLD $1200: Surface temperatures in this colorful sea average 85 degrees in summer

CORRECT RESPONSES
Charles I
cayenne pepper
the Big Muddy
Athens
St. Paul's Cathedral
a pig
frets
a giraffe
a manatee
L'chaim
in flagrante delicto
What's Love Got to Do With It?
What's New, Pussycat?
the Irish Sea
Itzhak Perlman
the Millennium Dome
Mycroft Holmes
a jalapeño
dolphins
a Ski-Doo (or a snowmobile or skimobile)
aluminum
a kettledrum
Jodi Picoult
mollusk
the Bering Sea
the Red Sea
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY BROTHERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This character first appeared in “The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter”, an 1893 story in London’s Strand Magazine

Rachel Lindgren: 13600-1601=11999 (3x = $54,200)
Alex Schindele: 4000-0=4000
Katie Champagne: 7600-4400=3200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mycroft Holmers (Rachel – Luigi) (Alex – Karamoz) (Katie – Sherlock Holmes)

Daily Doubles
Alex: 3800-2000
Rachel: 3400+3400
Katie: 6600-1000

Coryats
Rachel: 11000
Alex: 6000
Katie: 8600

Combined: 25,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Rachel: 3000
Alex: 4000
Katie: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

SOUNDS, INTERESTING $400: The noise level of this type of cold-weather recreational item has been reduced by over 90% since the 1960s
Rachel had skimobile and contestant Alex had Ski-Doo for a double-scoring clue when host Alex wanted something different.

Plenty of trash available with pepper, river nickname, cathedral, movie, toast, violinist…Yet the one that surprised me the most was April with the 16-month pregnancy. I thought that event was covered to death everywhere. I know board member John Boy better get it: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4096&p=244789

Finally some redemption for me on the FJ! clue as I have missed too many over the years about the author’s works and characters. I did a quick brainstorm of famous British literary brothers of that time period and quickly hit upon the right guy. The clue will be easier for some who will see Strand Magazine and know what to do with it. Those with deeper knowledge will even recognize the story title and be set.

Ouch for Katie having the right family and still missing as 12K on the nose would have done the trick by a buck in anticipating Rachel’s fall-to amount.

The players all missing did not give play-along folks a chance to see if first name alone was sufficient. I wrote both to leave no doubt. If anyone had written just the last name that woulda/coulda/shoulda been a neg.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

The writers gave a shout-out to SenseiCAY today! ;) This FJ courtesy of. . . Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ right with both names. The time period and London got me to the right family. I figured since the category was about brothers, they didn’t want the main guy.

I also think they wouldn’t have taken just Mycroft, but I would have been fine if they did.

Skimobile should have been taken to begin with.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:40 pm I got FJ right with both names. The time period and London got me to the right family. I figured since the category was about brothers, they didn’t want the main guy.

I also think they wouldn’t have taken just Mycroft, but I would have been fine if they did.
But would they have taken "Sherlock Holmes' smarter brother"?

Sherlock's debut btw was in "A Study in Scarlet" and the follow-up novel "The Sign of Four" also preceded all of the short stories.

Preemptive edit: "The Sign of Four" has been published with the tile as written, but also as "The Sign of THE (my capitals) Four", and the discrepancy began very early.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I know I wouldn’t have come up with the name if I hadn’t seen the PBS Sherlock series, in which the brother has a large role.
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

Go Rachel!!

really hope she keeps winning and makes the TOC.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

PanthersFan1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:15 pm Go Rachel!!

really hope she keeps winning and makes the TOC.
I think you have a doppelganger over at Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/RLT29
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Started off strong, running Peppers and Double "D".

Battle of Gravelines = huh? "Spanish Armada"? How do you get it out of that clue?! That whole category was a billion miles over my head.

Embarrassed that bombed the Sounds Interesting category. Those were so easy, but I totally blanked on "dolphin" and "snowmobile", and it just came unraveled from there.

Animals are usually a good category for me, but I blanked on mollusk and saw no way to figure out "Giraffe".

Tina Turner biopic = What's Love Got to Do with It seemed obscure for the top box, given the stand and stare. It was also my only miss. Always have to scratch my head when the top box is the only miss.

Sherlock Holmes + brother got me nowhere. Don't recognize the name Mycroft at all.

Lach Trash: cayenne, big muddy, manatee, L'chaim, What's New Pussycat, frets
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Insta-insta get on this one.

I was really happy Rachel went all in on the Animal DD.

I didn't know there was a movie, but I only know a few Tom Jones songs, so I came up with that one.

I said "O2" for the millenium dome - I saw Monty Python perform there a few years back and I thought that's what it was called.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

....Luigi :lol: :lol: :lol:

London + 1890s + "Adventure of..."? Sherlock Holmes (Strand Magazine didn't ring a bell until after the fact). Brother? Mycroft. I'm genuinely shocked that this was a TS (though we'll never know if Katie knew the answer but just misunderstood the clue).

They forgot about April the giraffe pretty quickly. By the end I was sick of hearing about it.

I had no idea 'skimobile' was a word.
Moomoomoo1

Post by Moomoomoo1 »

That seemed like way too difficult of a FJ to me? Surprised so many here knew it.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

So, I was stuck in the kitchen for part of this episode, but I could hear my husband calling out "Dude, Where's My Car?" and I guess there was a whole category of questions. Not too long ago on the board, people were discussing how they'd phrase responses that called for a question, whether they'd try to omit the "what is. . .?" etc. Did this issue come up at all today?
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

OSXpert wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:31 pm I said "O2" for the millenium dome - I saw Monty Python perform there a few years back and I thought that's what it was called.
The O2 is the Millennium Dome’s current name; more specifically, the O2 Arena is the sports and entertainment venue that comprises roughly 40% of the dome’s interior. I suppose we’ll never know what the judges would have ruled.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Authors (1), Sounds (3), Losers (4), Peppers (3), Characters (5), Double "D" (1)
Violins (2), Foreign (2), Seas (3), Animals (2), Movies (3), Lords (1)

Lach Trash: manatee, Millennium Dome; Daily Double: Charles I

I was thinking of Doyle as the author, but I wasn't too familiar with Mycroft Holmes, just Sherlock and Dr. Watson.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

A very good FJ clue since it required a bit of deductive reasoning. Kudos to anyone that familiar with the story but for the rest of us, 1893 + Strand + famous character with a brother = QED.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Moomoomoo1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:43 pm That seemed like way too difficult of a FJ to me? Surprised so many here knew it.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 pm
Moomoomoo1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:43 pm That seemed like way too difficult of a FJ to me? Surprised so many here knew it.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer.
Unless you're like me and have no idea who Mycroft is.