Blast From the Past - Grand Slam (Super Tournament)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Blast From the Past - Grand Slam (Super Tournament)

Post by Sherm »

I'm sure many of you remember this from its original airing in the fall of 2007. All rounds are included in this youtube series. Maybe Leszek can comment on how intense this was to compete in. Personally, rounds one and two, I'd be all over (general knowledge and math based material), round three, I think I'd be embarrassed of how I would look doing that stuff.

It really does show how overall dominate Ken Jennings is beyond trivia. His combination of wordplay and math skills, along with his ability of general knowledge trivia truly is freakish. If it wasn't for the math weakness of his round one opponent, Jennings easily could have gone down early. Also, Jennings/Ogas in the first two rounds of the finals, is boderline amazing.

I didn't see these when it originally aired. It's pretty good stuff. Also, Dennis Miller shows some chops between rounds, he was a solid host for it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Blast From the Past - Grand Slam (Super Tournament)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I watch these videos on YouTube all the time. I really wish they had a second season of this.
They had champions from many different shows.
Thom McKee from Tic-Tac-Dough, Michelle Kitt from The Weakest Link, $40,000 Lingo winner Amy Kelly, David Legler and Rahim Oberholtzer from Twenty-One, and even game show veteran Phyllis Harris.
Victor Lee was also a one day champion on Jeopardy!, but didn't show Jeopardy! on his montage.
Douglas Squasoni
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Love this show. Wish it would come back in some form (especially if you can try out this time, and now you can practice for it!)

I've tried putting together my own webcast version of this; the difficulty with lag and with writing a whole, whole lot of questions means I haven't been able to record more than 1 episode.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

thanx for posting this...had never heard of it before...was living outside of usa during that time, so i lack knowledge of what went on pop culture wise during that time frame
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

banged out the whole tournament...pretty good show...wish they would bring it back
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Yeah, I loved this. Thanks for finding it!
Now swimming in the J! pool.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Thanks for posting this. I binged the whole thing today! I wasn't aware of its existence. It was fun to see all those classic contestants again. And so many of them looking so young. :)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Thanks for this. It made for a very enjoyable binge. I think I'd watch it if they ever brought it back or made it a daily thing, if they found something else to pad out the runtime, instead of that utterly unwatchable "commentary".

Some very surprising outcomes, and a bit of awful strategic play in one match, but if strange things happen 'under the lights', I can only imagine what happens when you throw in time pressure. If it were me up there, I think I would've crushed the general knowledge rounds, and -most- of the math and wordplay, but there were a few problems that I choked on even at home with the ability to pause the video; on stage with a clock running down? Yeesh.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Yes, thanks for posting. I scoped out a few games of the J! legends Jennings and Rutter. This is a pretty weird format if I understand it. You can just pass with no penalty? Wrong answers don't cost you?

About every third question is a quick get, why wouldn't you just pass the obviously long ones to get to it? Does the questioner continue to read the whole thing anyway? I assume the contestants see the question in writing so they can read ahead since Ken J answered several before the questioner ended. I felt bad every time someone ground out a math equation or anagram and the next person has to spell "hash browns".

Still, very enjoyable, especially seeing really smart people sputtering on arithmetic questions. I beat most of them at it, of course sitting in my chair with no pressure. No way I solve a simple anagram with a celebrity inside it, so there's that :lol:

The first two rounds of the final were indeed epic.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:52 pm You can just pass with no penalty? Wrong answers don't cost you?
They cost you time
I assume the contestants see the question in writing so they can read ahead since Ken J answered several before the questioner ended.
I think they saw some, but not all questions. Also, I believe if you pass, he will finish the question and give the answer.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:52 pmThis is a pretty weird format if I understand it. You can just pass with no penalty? Wrong answers don't cost you?
When you pass, it's still your turn, and your minute is still ticking down while the quizmaster reads off the correct answer, and the next question. Some of them would've been better off passing a lot of those math questions, since it took them longer to figure them out than it would've taken to get to a different, possibly easier problem (like the Roman numerals).
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:52 pm Thanks for this. It made for a very enjoyable binge. I think I'd watch it if they ever brought it back or made it a daily thing, if they found something else to pad out the runtime, instead of that utterly unwatchable "commentary".

Some very surprising outcomes, and a bit of awful strategic play in one match, but if strange things happen 'under the lights', I can only imagine what happens when you throw in time pressure. If it were me up there, I think I would've crushed the general knowledge rounds, and -most- of the math and wordplay, but there were a few problems that I choked on even at home with the ability to pause the video; on stage with a clock running down? Yeesh.
that is the beauty of the clips on youtube...after the first episode i never once heard dennis douchebag miller...guy is awful...i passed on the intros and each clip i just ffwd to the beginning of the round and clicked on the next clip as soon as that one was over
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Featuring NY1 morning host Pat Kiernan as the unseen Quizmaster. Kiernan was also the questioner on the World Series of Pop Culture.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.