Monday, January 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 pm That was a spectacular fall for Jennifer, who crushed it in her first game (and I do love it when Alex tells a player, "today wasn't your day")
In Jennifer's defense, it seemed like it was just a day when the answers weren't coming to her and/or she was overthinking things. The clue asking for Princess Grace comes to mind - spotted Monaco and a death in 1982, that should have been obvious. But, Jennifer may have been trying to come up with someone more connected to ballet, given the category.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:17 pm
davey wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm On the other hand, it's not hard to find explanations of the difference between the Italian greyhound and the whippet. I guess the judges decided they are so close it's not fair to ask someone to tell them apart with a picture...
As long as an Italian greyhound is at all similar to an English greyhound, but smaller, it fit the clue. It's really that simple, and I have no veritable clue why so many people on Facebook and Twitter are mad about this.
Because some folks like to whippet. Whippet good. :mrgreen:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:20 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 pm That was a spectacular fall for Jennifer, who crushed it in her first game (and I do love it when Alex tells a player, "today wasn't your day")
In Jennifer's defense, it seemed like it was just a day when the answers weren't coming to her and/or she was overthinking things. The clue asking for Princess Grace comes to mind - spotted Monaco and a death in 1982, that should have been obvious. But, Jennifer may have been trying to come up with someone more connected to ballet, given the category.
True, though I couldn't tell if she was trying to buzz in and getting beat or if she just got unlucky with those boards

But mostly I was disappointed because she's fun and I wanted to see her continue
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Just thought I'd come in on behalf of Wire Hair Fox Terriers and mention a couple of their most famous ambassadors: Asta from "The Thin Man" and Milou/Snowy from "The Adventures of Tintin."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:15 pm Just thought I'd come in on behalf of Wire Hair Fox Terriers and mention a couple of their most famous ambassadors: Asta from "The Thin Man" and Milou/Snowy from "The Adventures of Tintin."
That's the movie version of The Thin Man. In case it ever comes up, in the book Asta is a Schnauzer. That was apparently exotic enough in the 30s that Nick has to identify the breed to curious people who think Asta is a cross between a Scottie and an Irish terrier.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:32 pm
squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:15 pm Just thought I'd come in on behalf of Wire Hair Fox Terriers and mention a couple of their most famous ambassadors: Asta from "The Thin Man" and Milou/Snowy from "The Adventures of Tintin."
That's the movie version of The Thin Man. In case it ever comes up, in the book Asta is a Schnauzer. That was apparently exotic enough in the 30s that Nick has to identify the breed to curious people who think Asta is a cross between a Scottie and an Irish terrier.
Asta (Skippy) was a damn cute dog, is what he was.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Now I'm coming in on behalf of Schnauzers to ask Hollywood to let them represent their own community.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Finally got around to watching. And joined in with the players in a train wreck of a game.

R: 18, W: 3, costing 2600
Coryat: 11,000
FJ: :(
DD: 0/3
LT: none.

Unlike the players, I managed to stay clam most of the time. 3 misses is reasonable. But that didn't help much, as there were way too many I couldn't make an intelligent guess at. Stared at mythology and native sons, ran 2 letter words. Slightly embarrassed at guessing John Glenn instead of Neil Armstrong. Usually astronaut + Ohio gets you to Glenn. But Apollo should have made me re-think that, since he never flew an Apollo mission. Didn't know that Armstrong was also from Ohio.

I'll be checking the US Flag box over the weekend. Bra was the only alternative I had, and figured it wasn't right. :D Draft cards never entered my thinking.

PS (added in edit): Somehow my non-answer of "that school building where Kennedy's assassin shot from" probably wasn't going to cut it. Yet another clam because I sort of knew the answer but didn't really.
--Peter
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:03 pm I never thought of anything besides money and flags.
Somehow, to me, this sounds like a rap lyric from a rapper I'd really, really like.
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:03 pmPatience and Fortitude was amusing to me, as HQ had a question about the NYPL lions tonight (and undid me with it).
And Trivia Warfare had an episode that came out on the weekend (that I was listening to this morning, at least that part) that mentioned the two and three lobes of the lungs (and that the right one is larger due to the heart being below the left one.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Perv Griffin
Contributor

Post by Perv Griffin »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:17 pm
davey wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm On the other hand, it's not hard to find explanations of the difference between the Italian greyhound and the whippet. I guess the judges decided they are so close it's not fair to ask someone to tell them apart with a picture...
As long as an Italian greyhound is at all similar to an English greyhound, but smaller, it fit the clue. It's really that simple, and I have no veritable clue why so many people on Facebook and Twitter are mad about this.
I think that the way the Italian greyhound/Whippet reversal was explained (or rather, not explained at all...) is why there's so much teeth gnashing. I was among the indignant before revisiting the exact wording of the clue, and OQ's explanation above is very helpful. I suspect that people who are taking exception to the reversal are incorrectly assuming that it was granted based on an (obviously false) belief by the judges that the two breeds are interchangeable. They are not, but that doesn't matter with respect to the syntax of the clue itself.
Pendleton71
Contributor

Post by Pendleton71 »

I wonder if Jennifer set a record for fewest number of ring-ins (or at least correct responses) while finding all three Daily Doubles.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Pendleton71 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:14 pm I wonder if Jennifer set a record for fewest number of ring-ins (or at least correct responses) while finding all three Daily Doubles.
On the March 4, 2003 episode Charlotte Renshaw found all three DDs and had a total of just eight ring-ins. I do believe that the seven correct ring-ins they both had is the record among Archived games.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,600
42 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Treaty of Paris, Akita, Lindsey Vonn, North Carolina, Hannibal (DD), Grace Kelly (DD), Ballet Russe, 1Q84

FYI, the title 1Q84 is a pun. The Japanese word for nine (きゅう) is pronounced "Q."
Sprinkles are for winners.