Tuesday, December 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

The FJ reminded me of this http://jezebel.com/5869371/old-timey-or ... icoat-rule recent post on Jezebel from The National Organization OPPOSED to Woman Suffrage. One of their arguments was that "80% of women eligible to vote are married, and can only double or annul their husband's vote". Impeccable logic.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:I knew Harding was the first president women voted for, so I went with FDR since he was the next one who had more than one inaugural. Plus, he had a female cabinent member, so she likely would have been part of the parade. I did briefly consider Wilson.
Coolidge was inaugurated twice (succeeded Harding on his death, elected prez in 1924).

I felt pretty certain that women got the vote during Wilson's second term, but I liked Wilson as an answer better than Coolidge, so that's what I went for.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

FDR for me as well. I used Boardwalk Empire and the Harding storyline to pin the time for women voting even though I already knew 19th = 1919. Wilson was my second choice with Harding, Coolidge and Hoover out for consideration. My third choice would have been Lincoln for no good reason.

I guess the writers expected the players to know the decade of the amendment and to guess the president at the time?

Jason: If you are lurking, it's fine to post about games already played. What was your thinking path to getting this correct?

Bill: You have company with trying wax on the Brazil Hairdresser clue. I thought it was worth a shot in the second box for a team running up the score and for straightening hair.

A DD in the second box of Red Book? Gee, I wonder which work that will be? I would have had the courage to bet big time on that one. Jason must have thought so as well going with 3000 which is his third highest DD wager.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I knew Harding was the first president women voted for, so I went with FDR since he was the next one who had more than one inaugural. Plus, he had a female cabinent member, so she likely would have been part of the parade. I did briefly consider Wilson.
Coolidge was inaugurated twice (succeeded Harding on his death, elected prez in 1924).

I felt pretty certain that women got the vote during Wilson's second term, but I liked Wilson as an answer better than Coolidge, so that's what I went for.
I knew he served one full term and one partial term, but I've seen emergency swearing ins not counted as an inauguration.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:Bill: You have company with trying wax on the Brazil Hairdresser clue. I thought it was worth a shot in the second box for a team running up the score and for straightening hair.

A DD in the second box of Red Book? Gee, I wonder which work that will be? I would have had the courage to bet big time on that one. Jason must have thought so as well going with 3000 which is his third highest DD wager.
I also had wax for that one and didn't quite get Alex's finger wag for the guys not knowing it, wax seemed to fit both parts of the clue.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Got FJ! on the pick the president who was serving around the 19th amendment logic. Couldn't think of anything more rational to go on.

Loved the Brazilian clue, and actually picked up that one thanks to all the froofroo salons here in Dallas (had never heard the term before I moved here).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Bill: You have company with trying wax on the Brazil Hairdresser clue. I thought it was worth a shot in the second box for a team running up the score and for straightening hair.

I also had wax for that one and didn't quite get Alex's finger wag for the guys not knowing it, wax seemed to fit both parts of the clue.
I always thought a Brazilian wax was removal of hair in the, ummm, bikini area (or, at the very least, removal of hair somewhere), which is not the same as straightening.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:

I always thought a Brazilian wax was removal of hair in the, ummm, bikini area (or, at the very least, removal of hair somewhere), which is not the same as straightening.
That is what a Brazilian wax is, yes. Definitely in the bikini area. And nothing being straightened.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Embarrasing admission of the day....I said the Scarlet Letter for the Red Book DD clue. :oops:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I've met (or almost sorta met in some cases) some very famous people in my life. I intend to relate details of (a couple of) those encounters should I ever get to be interviewed by Alex on Jeopardy!, but to the best of my recollection, I've never been even slightly moved by said encounters. No 'fan moment' or anything like that.

But tonight, I had to stop watching partway through the game and go back to the recording later because seeing the name of somebody whom I know (of) quite well, but didn't know was 'famous' made my jaw drop. And it (my jaw dropping) caused me to miss the next four clues.

I know both Stetson Kennedy's son and grandson. I know all about Stetson and his life and his writings. I was not aware anybody else did.

Kinda like when I was at my cousin's house a few years back (the cousin alluded to in another thread a few days ago), and mentioned to his sister (as he wasn't home at the time) that I had been contacted by some fans looking for contact info. His sister looked at me incredulously, and exclaimed "Ricky has fans??!!?!"

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

bpmod wrote:I know both Stetson Kennedy's son and grandson. I know all about Stetson and his life and his writings. I was not aware anybody else did.
I knew of him, but that was a fairly recent development. I read Freakonomics in the last month or so, and one chapter uses Stetson Kennedy's story as an example of the power of information (specifically, one party's having it and withholding it from others).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Of course, it might be added that no knowledge of Stetson Kennedy was required to get the correct response to that clue. The same as with the Eisenhower clue.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

18/30, 10/25.

Again, WHY are we completely failing to clear the DJ! board? Nothing was gobbling up time tonight that I saw, yet we still get LTAM with two categories to go.

Italian was pretty easy since many of the words were very similar to their Spanish counterparts. However, I still got screwed on $1000 by saying hammer instead.

I was off by a few decades in FJ! I knew women's suffrage fit in, but had it in the late 1800s and just COULD NOT think of any president between Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt. Finally put down FDR just to have something.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

With $202,100, Jason Keller moves into sixth place on the all-time winnings list.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

lisa0012 wrote:
That is what a Brazilian wax is, yes. Definitely in the bikini area. And nothing being straightened.
Straightening does involve heat, so wax is not a bad guess.

I dislike Jason's habit of leaning forward on every response. I was so rooting for Andrew to get the true DD he missed.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Like another poster, I went with Cleveland on FJ based soley in "second inaugurations." Jason's leaning over to answer reminds me of Church last Sunday, when I was delivering the sermon and leaned into the microphone myself, although I did so because I wasn't sure if I could be heard.

In the "Italian" category, would they have accepted the five "w's" in any order, or was it necessary to list them the way they were on the board?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I'm really starting to enjoy the current champ.

Had I been on the show, the temptation on the violin body clue to go with A hole instead of F hole would have been too much for me.

On FJ I went with FDR as he was the first president to have an official second inauguration after the passage on the 19th amendment.... women could not vote in Wilson's second election. Why on Earth am I supposed to conclude that women would be participating in his second inauguration as opposed to Roosevelt's?
earendel

Post by earendel »

That's why I went with FDR - the association with Francis Perkins was Pavlovian for me. :cry:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

thenextofken wrote:In the "Italian" category, would they have accepted the five "w's" in any order, or was it necessary to list them the way they were on the board?
In the clue, they were given in the order who, what, when, where, why; Bill's response shifted "when" to the end. So I think any order works. (If someone had said "What are the five Ws?" would it have been immediately accepted or BMS'ed?)
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

All hail Jason. Very, very impressive, and seems like such a likeable guy to boot.