Tuesday, January 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:45 pm

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:45 pm

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:47 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERATURE & MYTHOLOGY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The “very name embodies the idea of flight”, says one analysis of a 20th century novel in describing this main character

Ryan Fenster: 27000-6000=21000 (2x = $41,999)
Emily Lewis: 4600-4600=0
Brandey Chandler: 8600+3401=12001

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Stephen Dedalus (Ryan – Icarus) (Emily – Who is ?) (Brandey – Daedalus)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 200+1000
Ryan: 7000+4000
Brandey: 6000+3000

Coryats
Ryan: 23800
Emily: 4800
Brandey: 6400

Combined: 34,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Ryan: 2600
Emily: 3000
Brandey: 5200

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:49 pm

Alex’s opening included comments about players in the red yesterday and praying for the players today. It was very funny when the game opened with this:

Predictable stumper of the day: The Peace Garden State

Brandey was in first for the cinema brothers for $2K which would have had her at 12600 to Ryan’s 25000. Instead she missed and Ryan took the $1600 and $400 clues to close out the round with the runaway to make Brandey’s sole solve of the FJ! clue not matter.

The FJ! clue had me writing Pegasus for something flight from mythology. I knew I had no matching hit from 20h c. literature, so I kept thinking. On a brainstorm of other mythological flight I hit upon the famous father and son that J! likes. From there I had no doubt which one to pick as I had the match to the author.

Like Brandey I spelled the name the mythological way and unlike her I added the first name. Thank you to the writers for not asking for the work as even if I recalled the right one (no guarantee) I would not have wanted to navigate the article minefield. Plus it’s a lot to write.

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:04 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:49 pm
Thank you to the writers for not asking for the work as even if I recalled the right one (no guarantee) I would not have wanted to navigate the article minefield. Plus it’s a lot to write.
Doesn't he show up in multiple works?
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:16 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:04 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thank you to the writers for not asking for the work as even if I recalled the right one (no guarantee) I would not have wanted to navigate the article minefield. Plus it’s a lot to write.
Doesn't he show up in multiple works?
Alex named one work and that was good enough for me. I should have read the extra information The Jeopardy! Fan provided. Thanks. And a good reminder since you take the time to add some insight into each day's FJ! clue & response.

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:23 pm

We were whooping with laughter at Alex's opening prayer. Hilarious! How crazy is it going to get by the end of this week?

As a fan of the author whose work figured into FJ, I would have preferred that the writers ask for author's name, rather than just invite guesses for mythological figures that happen to fit the bill. Might as well call the FJ category "Mythological Free Association."

Congrats to Ryan on a great showing!

tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm

squarekara wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:23 pm
We were whooping with laughter at Alex's opening prayer. Hilarious! How crazy is it going to get by the end of this week?

As a fan of the author whose work figured into FJ, I would have preferred that the writers ask for author's name, rather than just invite guesses for mythological figures that happen to fit the bill. Might as well call the FJ category "Mythological Free Association."

I would have gotten it right in this case. I was trying to think of some 20th century work that would have had a mythological connotation, and I could just come up with Ulysses. So I would have gotten Joyce, despite picking the wrong mythological figure. (The category had me thinking of literary myth, like Iliad or the Odyssey, so I had Ulysses already in mind and couldn't think of anybody else, even though I couldn't figure out the flight connection.) I have heard of Stephen Dedalus, but I didn't think of it.

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:51 pm

squarekara wrote:

Except that would be unfair to people (like me) who had no clue what 20th century work(s) fit the bill - I think Joyce is an acquired taste and not many have acquired it. (And, it's not the first time that they gave multiple paths to the same correct response).

And, kudos to the TPTB for kind of resolving the debate about whether you necessarily need a first and last name in FJ as long as the character is reasonably identifiable (I'm assuming a first name only in this case would have been insufficient). :D

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:54 pm

I get the Worst FJ Response Award today with Mary Poppins. :lol:

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:24 pm

tiwonge wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm
squarekara wrote:

I would have gotten it right in this case. I was trying to think of some 20th century work that would have had a mythological connotation, and I could just come up with Ulysses. So I would have gotten Joyce, despite picking the wrong mythological figure. (The category had me thinking of literary myth, like Iliad or the Odyssey, so I had Ulysses already in mind and couldn't think of anybody else, even though I couldn't figure out the flight connection.) I have heard of Stephen Dedalus, but I didn't think of it.
Naming the author would have allowed the players to demonstrate knowledge in both "Literature" and "Mythology" as the category title seems to demand. Nobody named the "main character" from a 20th century novel today, so I'm a hair's breadth away from dredging up Sergeant Pepper. (oops.)

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:34 pm

One of my favorite songs off the album pictured in my avatar is Falling Back to Earth (by Haken), which is basically a retelling of the Icarus myth. So I would have had some 'splaining to do had I missed this FJ.

FJ: :mrgreen:

LT: North Dakota, Dayton, Three Rivers Stadium
Last edited by Ironhorse on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:33 pm

I clammed on "Named for Mr. Poe" because I wasn't sure if it would include Allan or not.

Bombed on "Say" you will. NHO "soothsayer" or "gainsay" or "assay".

Clueless was a TV show?! I was completely clueless on that whole category except for Happy Days and Flying Nun.

There's a "dynamic ribbon" in the Coca-Cola logo?! I thought it was just the name.

I've heard of the name Jacques Cousteau but had literally no idea who he even was.

No guess on FJ! Even "James Joyce" led me only to Ulysses. Didn't know of a Daedalus character in any book.

Lach Trash: Three Rivers
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:49 pm

As someone who has spent most of his life living in a bedroom community of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, I was wondering if you could poll that $200 question that they all missed. Also, given how often clues about him end up as a TS, I'm glad that Ryan got the Dag Hammarskjold clue.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:13 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:54 pm
I got as far as "Well it's not The Flying Nun, because that already came up..."

threearruda
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by threearruda » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 pm

The arctic tern made me think of Colin Mochrie. :lol:

Daedalus got to my page first - good thing, as I worried that it may have been Icarus for a good ten seconds.

I'm liking Ryan a lot- he was really fantastic in DJ!. Some odd misses to this point, but he's got a strong academic knowledge base. Hopefully those slow starts won't do him in anytime soon.

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:17 pm

dinghammer wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:13 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:54 pm
I got as far as "Well it's not The Flying Nun, because that already came up..."
"NOW's the time for The Flying Nun"

Moomoomoo1

Post by Moomoomoo1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:27 pm

threearruda wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 pm
The arctic tern made me think of Colin Mochrie. :lol:

Daedalus got to my page first - good thing, as I worried that it may have been Icarus for a good ten seconds.

I'm liking Ryan a lot- he was really fantastic in DJ!. Some odd misses to this point, but he's got a strong academic knowledge base. Hopefully those slow starts won't do him in anytime soon.
Seems like he goes for the low percentage guesses early in the game, when it doesn't matter much. but he's been killing it in DJ despite not getting many DDs.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Like Brandey I spelled the name the mythological way and unlike her I added the first name. Thank you to the writers for not asking for the work as even if I recalled the right one (no guarantee) I would not have wanted to navigate the article minefield. Plus it’s a lot to write.
I couldn't remember the first name or th book, so I dodged multiple bullets tonight. Whatever, a get is a get.

The Two-handers category featured a Beauty & the Beast clue, followed by a Linda Hamilton + Ron Perlman clue. Probably unintentional, but a nice bit of nostalgia for this child of the '80s.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:59 pm

34 right.

Logo (2), Comedy (3), Confused (2), "SAY" (2), Write (4), Air Force (4)
French Scientists & Inventors (3), Shade (1), History (5), Two-Handers (2), Year (3), "TH" Place (3)

Lach Trash: Dayton, Witch & Wizard, Three Rivers Stadium

I was thinking of Icarus, but guessed Peter Pan because I was also thinking of Pan, but that probably wasn't a good guess. Once Alex mentioned James Joyce, I thought Ulysses, so I was wrong on all counts.