Cryptic Crosswords

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm

Anyone here do cryptic crosswords? A friend tried to show me how to solve cryptic crossword clues, and while I understand the principles, I still haven't managed to complete one of the NY Times puzzles. Any tips for me?

I'm looking at the January 28th puzzle now. I'll post the clues as I go along, you tell me how to solve them!

For example, what do I do with the first clue:
F.B.I. director fired by Trump circumvents low-grade farce (6)
I got Comey. Now what?! I mean, I think it's comedy, but why?
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coming at you like an ex-president

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1347
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:22 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm
Anyone here do cryptic crosswords? A friend tried to show me how to solve cryptic crossword clues, and while I understand the principles, I still haven't managed to complete one of the NY Times puzzles. Any tips for me?

I'm looking at the January 28th puzzle now, so if you have any clues without giving the answers away, I'm all ears!

For example, what do I do with the first clue:
F.B.I. director fired by Trump circumvents low-grade farce (6)
I got Comey. Now what?! I mean, I think it's comedy, but why?
SpoilerShow
FBI director fired by Trump=Comey
low-grade = "D"
circumvents means "goes around"
Comey "goes around" D = Come D y = comedy = farce
The (6) as the end means a 6-letter-word.

There you go.

The thing to remember is, every word in a clue will be used to get the final answer, and the meaning might be different from what it looks like in the sentence that is the clue. Same with punctuation, which can often be ignored.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:33 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:22 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm
Anyone here do cryptic crosswords? A friend tried to show me how to solve cryptic crossword clues, and while I understand the principles, I still haven't managed to complete one of the NY Times puzzles. Any tips for me?

I'm looking at the January 28th puzzle now, so if you have any clues without giving the answers away, I'm all ears!

For example, what do I do with the first clue:
F.B.I. director fired by Trump circumvents low-grade farce (6)
I got Comey. Now what?! I mean, I think it's comedy, but why?
SpoilerShow
FBI director fired by Trump=Comey
low-grade = "D"
circumvents means "goes around"
Comey "goes around" D = Come D y = comedy = farce
The (6) as the end means a 6-letter-word.

There you go.

The thing to remember is, every word in a clue will be used to get the final answer, and the meaning might be different from what it looks like in the sentence that is the clue. Same with punctuation, which can often be ignored.
Ahhh. THANK YOU. It's all coming back to me now - sort of. I understand the basic mechanics, but I would have never solved that one the way you did

Gonna keep going and post the clues here. Not a busy work day, as you can tell :P
coming at you like an ex-president

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1347
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:35 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:33 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:22 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm
Anyone here do cryptic crosswords? A friend tried to show me how to solve cryptic crossword clues, and while I understand the principles, I still haven't managed to complete one of the NY Times puzzles. Any tips for me?

I'm looking at the January 28th puzzle now, so if you have any clues without giving the answers away, I'm all ears!

For example, what do I do with the first clue:
F.B.I. director fired by Trump circumvents low-grade farce (6)
I got Comey. Now what?! I mean, I think it's comedy, but why?
SpoilerShow
FBI director fired by Trump=Comey
low-grade = "D"
circumvents means "goes around"
Comey "goes around" D = Come D y = comedy = farce
The (6) as the end means a 6-letter-word.

There you go.

The thing to remember is, every word in a clue will be used to get the final answer, and the meaning might be different from what it looks like in the sentence that is the clue. Same with punctuation, which can often be ignored.
Ahhh. THANK YOU. It's all coming back to me now - sort of. I understand the basic mechanics, but I would have never solved that one the way you did

Gonna keep going and post the clues here. Not a busy work day, as you can tell :P
I could say the same, at least for the next half when I'm an extra person here. I'll let someone else have the fun of explaining the next one clue. Good luck!

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:38 pm

Where do I even begin with this one?? I know it's 2 words, 4 letters each, that's about it

Spiral lock culprits damaged (4,4)

I'm thinking 'culprits damaged' means rearrange the letters to get 2 words meaning... spiral lock? Or does 'spiral' mean I should switch up the letters?
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Fruit carts run wild (8)

Fruit = "carts run" anagrammed? But I still don't see it. Oh. I see it ;)
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:54 pm

State what we'd do if we lost a vowel? (8)

All I can say is it begins with M :?
SpoilerShow
I think it's Missouri. But why?

Oh. We would miss our I... :geek:
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by PowerofHoodoo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:03 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:38 pm
Where do I even begin with this one?? I know it's 2 words, 4 letters each, that's about it

Spiral lock culprits damaged (4,4)

I'm thinking 'culprits damaged' means rearrange the letters to get 2 words meaning... spiral lock? Or does 'spiral' mean I should switch up the letters?
SpoilerShow
Anagrams to spit curl.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:08 pm

PowerofHoodoo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:03 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:38 pm
Where do I even begin with this one?? I know it's 2 words, 4 letters each, that's about it

Spiral lock culprits damaged (4,4)

I'm thinking 'culprits damaged' means rearrange the letters to get 2 words meaning... spiral lock? Or does 'spiral' mean I should switch up the letters?
SpoilerShow
Anagrams to spit curl.
Oh wow. I had to look that one up. So 'spiral' means anagram and 'damaged' means 2 words?
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 956
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by immaf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:10 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:38 pm
Where do I even begin with this one?? I know it's 2 words, 4 letters each, that's about it

Spiral lock culprits damaged (4,4)

I'm thinking 'culprits damaged' means rearrange the letters to get 2 words meaning... spiral lock? Or does 'spiral' mean I should switch up the letters?
You are absolutely right. Rearrange "culprits" to get
SpoilerShow
spit curl
Teems with quiet fun.

User avatar
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by PowerofHoodoo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:08 pm
PowerofHoodoo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:03 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:38 pm
Where do I even begin with this one?? I know it's 2 words, 4 letters each, that's about it

Spiral lock culprits damaged (4,4)

I'm thinking 'culprits damaged' means rearrange the letters to get 2 words meaning... spiral lock? Or does 'spiral' mean I should switch up the letters?
SpoilerShow
Anagrams to spit curl.
Oh wow. I had to look that one up. So 'spiral' means anagram and 'damaged' means 2 words?
Actually, this clue is like the Times of London cryptic crossword puzzles I do; the answer is actually clued twice. The first part is spiral lock with lock referring to a lock of hair. The second part, culprits damaged, tells you to anagram the word culprits.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:14 pm

Well, this one was pretty easy:

Supreme Court agitated someone on a Mac (8,4)
SpoilerShow
Supreme Court => computer user
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:20 pm

Celebrating a wedding three times, embracing crew (8,4)

OK, it starts with T. Does 'embracing' mean 'crew' is surrounded by other letters? Or a word meaning crew? Or none of the above :?

UPDATE:
SpoilerShow
My guess is 'throwing rice'. Now how do you get that?

Ohhh... 'thrice' surrounds 'rowing' :P
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:20 pm

PowerofHoodoo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:08 pm
PowerofHoodoo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:03 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:38 pm
Where do I even begin with this one?? I know it's 2 words, 4 letters each, that's about it

Spiral lock culprits damaged (4,4)

I'm thinking 'culprits damaged' means rearrange the letters to get 2 words meaning... spiral lock? Or does 'spiral' mean I should switch up the letters?
SpoilerShow
Anagrams to spit curl.
Oh wow. I had to look that one up. So 'spiral' means anagram and 'damaged' means 2 words?
Actually, this clue is like the Times of London cryptic crossword puzzles I do; the answer is actually clued twice. The first part is spiral lock with lock referring to a lock of hair. The second part, culprits damaged, tells you to anagram the word culprits.
OK that actually makes sense :)
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:32 pm

Whisper the name of Bertrand audibly (6)

Um? :geek:
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 956
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by immaf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:37 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:32 pm
Whisper the name of Bertrand audibly (6)

Um? :geek:
"Audibly" is a hint that you are looking for a "sounds like" answer.
SpoilerShow
The "name of Bertrand" made me think of Bertrand Russel. Russel sounds like "rustle," which is six letters, and could be considered a "whisper."
Teems with quiet fun.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:43 pm

immaf wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:37 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:32 pm
Whisper the name of Bertrand audibly (6)

Um? :geek:
"Audibly" is a hint that you are looking for a "sounds like" answer.
SpoilerShow
The "name of Bertrand" made me think of Bertrand Russel. Russel sounds like "rustle," which is six letters, and could be considered a "whisper."
Well played :P
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 956
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by immaf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:45 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:54 pm
State what we'd do if we lost a vowel? (8)

All I can say is it begins with M :?
SpoilerShow
I think it's Missouri. But why?
This one is tough. A WAG:
SpoilerShow
Michigan? Other than the obvious, "state" can also be a clue that you're looking for a "sounds like" answer. Michigan = "Miss a ???"
Teems with quiet fun.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:46 pm

immaf wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:45 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:54 pm
State what we'd do if we lost a vowel? (8)

All I can say is it begins with M :?
SpoilerShow
I think it's Missouri. But why?
This one is tough. A WAG:
SpoilerShow
Michigan? Other than the obvious, "state" can also be a clue that you're looking for a "sounds like" answer. Michigan = "Miss a ???"
I solved it!
SpoilerShow
We would "Miss our I"
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Cryptic Crosswords

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:55 pm

Novel antihero making waves? (2,3,3)
SpoilerShow
Unscramble 'antihero' to get ... which novel?
coming at you like an ex-president

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Wpwells and 32 guests