Wednesday, January 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:06 am A bit surprised nobody has commented on his DD wager at the end. He is up by just $200 and bets $4,000. I thought it wouldn't have been a bad idea to go all-in there and go for the lock in a fairly simple category.
Four grand seems to be his go-to bet no matter what the optimal one is.

My guess is that he must be a big fan of Sara McNitt.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

I call hubris on that $4k DD at the end. That was plain reckless. Wth dude... you claw your way to the top from the negative and risk throwing it away? And how could he not know the answer... he guessed at Vega$.

The tdd bet earlier was not hubris but desperation.

I had Ore-Ida as soon as the map was up. I didn't even need the clue.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:52 am
IronNeck wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 am Speaking of which, I will submit a poll request for "I've never even heard of Ore-Ida". Thanks ahead of time, Mark.
There are two of you already in this thread and I'm shocked by that. On the other hand based on the 1/15 poll 11% have never eaten a Triscuit and I wouldn't have ever guessed that either!

Ore-Ida has got to be far and away the best selling frozen potato brand in the U.S.
Yeah, I can't see polling this just to see that 98% of the people have heard of Ore-Ida. It's almost TPHish.
Isn't that the entire point of a poll? To ascertain this information? Anyways, it's Mark's call. I would personally be interested in seeing if I'm just that oblivious, or whether it's a bit more obscure than some people think.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:52 am
IronNeck wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 am Speaking of which, I will submit a poll request for "I've never even heard of Ore-Ida". Thanks ahead of time, Mark.
There are two of you already in this thread and I'm shocked by that. On the other hand based on the 1/15 poll 11% have never eaten a Triscuit and I wouldn't have ever guessed that either!

Ore-Ida has got to be far and away the best selling frozen potato brand in the U.S.
Yeah, I can't see polling this just to see that 98% of the people have heard of Ore-Ida. It's almost TPHish.
Isn't that the entire point of a poll? To ascertain this information? Anyways, it's Mark's call. I would personally be interested in seeing if I'm just that oblivious, or whether it's a bit more obscure than some people think.
Here's a generalisation I'd guess would be proven correct: it's obscure if you are north of the 49th parallel.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:49 pm Saw no way to figure out "Goya" in the top box. I saw a Hispanic name and negged with Picasso.
I knew Goya, but felt that was a bit hard for a top row clue. Are Goya and his Maja paintings that well known? (I know him more for his Black Paintings, but those are more obscure, even if I like them. He is also known for the 2nd of May 1808.)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,200
46 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Pirates of Penzance (DD); Erno Rubik; "Ho Hey"; "Dark Horse"; "Shining Star"; Jones Act

It was crazy watching this game out of order, knowing that Ryan was going to come from behind and win big. That last DD wager, though. Woof.

I remember having my mind blown the first time I ever drove through Ontario, Oregon (the dot on the FJ! map). SO THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED THAT! Fun fact: unlike the rest of Oregon, Malheur County (of which Ontario is by far the largest city) is in the Mountain rather than the Pacific time zone.
Sprinkles are for winners.