Thursday, February 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Thursday, February 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DBear »

what happened? Just caught the last two questions--easy trash pickup Ugly Betty & Thirtysomething and I didn't even know the category.
Wasn't sure of Kerouac in FJ!, but couldn't think of anyone else, so it paid off.
Last edited by DBear on Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I gave up watching football due to the concussion issue but I still managed to run the category. I'm kind of pissed that the media that picked this up is still picking on Anupama from several months ago.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

26 right.

Football (4), Literary (1), "F" Stop (3), Film (4), Geography 101 (1), Course (2)
History (3), Adjectives (1), TV (2), Metal (2), Law (2), Stag (1)

Lach Trash: Lawrence of Arabia, option play, Dallas Cowboys, offsetting penalties, Purple People Eaters (I blurted out "audible" as opposed to "fair catch"), Althea Gibson; Daily Double: Ugly Betty

I saw "jazz" and thought of Tennessee Williams and A Streetcar Named Desire, but then I figured Kerouac was correct once I saw it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:45 pm
dhkendall wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:39 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 pm HOW DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW ALL THIS FANCY CRAP?!
Look at my .signature. The second quote in particular.
And where is knowing "amuse bouche" EVER going to help anyone in life?
It won't. I'll freely admit that. But that's the definition of trivia. Trivia is literally defined as* "inconsequential facts". I could either learn the capitals of Africa or how to drive a car. I chose the former.

*don't quote the dictionary at me either. But it will give a similar phrase.

(I could also go ahead and say that learning facts about country music and country music singers, and especially facts about malls across America isn't going to help you or anyone else in life. But you chose to learn that because you want to and enjoy doing so. We enjoy learning trivia about lots of things, including hoidy toidy food.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 pm HOW DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW ALL THIS FANCY CRAP?!
How many times do you have to have this fight?

Jeopardy rewards people who like knowing stuff. The end.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I would put it 25% tops in the poll.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

It could help you on WoF.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Can we take this to the TPH thread?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ryan survived an opening jinx by Alex about what a strong player he is, and he survived another of his trademark end game terrible DD wagers, this time even though he missed the clue and fell needlessly into second. Other than his apoplexy-inducing wagering foolishness, I'm really liking this champ. I loved the Mr. Burns moment and still laugh at the Daily Double noises.

I was disappointed to hear the amuse in amuse-bouche pronounced like the English word and Alex just let it slide. He's supposed to repeat the word back with a really overdone Fraunch accent. And sorry, TPH, but the term isn't that obscure. I agree it's more difficult than hors d'oeuvre, but that's about it.

I'll be checking the box that says I at least knew which team to connect with Tom Landry. Nothing else though. I loved the fun in that category.

For FJ I got stuck on Hunter S. Thompson. I sensed that 1958 was a skosh too early for him but didn't land on anyone better. I knew 1958 was late for Fitzgerald (or vice versa). I immediately recognized Trebek's quote of "That's not writing, it's typing!" and could have gotten Kerouac off that with no trouble.

Edit: Oh, and I precalled the "bipartisan" instead of "nonpartisan" miss.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 pm "Amuse bouche" seemed nearly Liederkranz level obscure for the top box. I can't believe ANYone knew that, especially since it has zero other hits in the archive. and "hors d'oevures" seemed like a perfectly cromulent neg. Can we poll it?

Honestly, I didn't recognize anything in that Easy Course Load category at all. HOW DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW ALL THIS FANCY CRAP?!
In an interview after his run aired, Arthur Chu said Jeopardy! asks about things that a gentleman and scholar would know. A gentleman knows what is an amuse-bouche. Incidentally, I thought Sara shortened aperitif to 3 syllables, but there was no reversal

TALKIN' FOOTBALL 0/5 and proud of it! At least I know the teams that are playing in the Super Bowl

Another stand and stare for Lawrence of Arabia? Just wow

I believe I woulda gone for the kill on that late game DD and it woulda paid off bc I went with Faulkner for FJ. Thought the clue was referring to stream of consciousness writing but wasn't sure about it. I may be 0/4 on FJ this week :oops:

Got Althea but NHO Ruby Bridges or Matthew Henson

Thought it was Olympia Nat'l Park - oops. Glad Ryan rang in on that one

I liked all the players tonight. Surprised nobody rang in for non-partisan on the rebound
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 26, W: 2, costing 2000
Coryat: 17,800
FJ: who the heck is ... ummm ... whatever that guy's name is. I already forgot it.
DD: 1/3
LT: football, except for the last one, indigent (in spite of the reversal, I'm claiming it!), thirtysomething, (atomic clock)

The J! round was a gift to me. Ran one category and got 4/5 in two more.

US 101 is my favorite road. I've been up and down most of it multiple times, and traveled it's entire length at least once (although not in a single trip). So it was fun to get that category. 4/5 on it, missing only the Lewis & Clark clue (in spite of the fact that the location of that clue is roughly our usual destination to visit family living in the area).

I am no where near a football fan. But I do understand the basics of the game, which all you need for 3 of the 5 answers. Bummed that I forgot the Purple People Eaters. I was a LA Rams fan back in that day, so perhaps it's understandable. The name was familiar, but it didn't come to mind.

In keeping with my promise to myself regarding clues involving the French language, I clammed on the chance to translate mouth pleaser. Watched enough cooking shows to recognize it in hindsight, but never knew what the term meant.

DJ was another issue. Only 8 right in the entire round. Not good at all.

As is standard for me with literature, the FJ clue led me nowhere. Hemmingway was the only author I could think of that might be from that time frame. I'll join TPH with a NHO on this one.
--Peter
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Almost sad to see the football category, because it was 5 rather simple LTs (being old, I remember the Vikings of the '70s) and that's got to stick in their minds if they ever want to run another one.

Not getting the hate over amuse bouche - it's just french vocabulary.

I saw jazz and went to Fitzgerald as well. Not a great last few days for me wrt literature, though I don't think I would have pulled Kerouac.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:37 pm I copied Sara’s line of thinking in taking “jazz” in the clue to go too far back. Near the end of think time I was getting warmer as I thought of staying in the 1950s and that J! likes Ginsberg.
I knew Fitz was long dead in 58, but hadn't the slightest clue who else it could be. I said Williams, just to say something (yes, I know he isn't an author). Wouldn't have got to Kerouac with 50 guesses.
Unless you were thinking of Ted Williams, and not the Williams mentioned elsewhere in this thread, he most certainly is an author. (But I suppose you're right if you were thinking that the category would have been Playwrights if he were the response.)
Literature has not been good to me this week, Like others, I glided past the "prose" in the clue and went with Ginsburg. Even after Alex referred to his "best-seller," my scrambling response was William Burroughs??... :roll:
Content to have only got the Cowboys in that category...disappointed to have let amuse bouche slip by me, though I know exactly what it is...
Last edited by davey on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

For the record, Alex doesn't mock a French accent; he's a francophone.

There was a lot of talk about the purple people eaters during the Vikings' recent playoff run (which would have resulted in them being the first team to play the Super Bowl on their own field) but of course this episode was recorded before that.

For final I said EB White.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

instaget final.
during my college days, way back when in the late '60s, i read jack kerouac's "on the road," published in 1957. i liked jazz; i had been introduced to pot; i was a big fan of the tv show "route 66." naturally, i thought the book was terrific! in the next five or ten years, i read his "desolation angels" (which wasn't bad) and "the dharma bums" (which wasn't very good).
a few years ago, in anticipation of the 2012 movie, i re-read "on the road." i've learned a little bit about literature in the last 50 years, and now realize that kerouac's most famous "novel" is a piece of excrement.
truman capote (who did write pretty well) once said of the book, "that's not writing, that's typing." curiously, that's quite similar to what science fiction critic/writer/editor/genius damon knight said in 1945 about a.e. van vogt: "[he] is no giant; he is a pygmy who has learned to operate an overgrown typewriter". even though knight himself was relatively new to the sci-fi field, knight's comment destroyed van vogt's reputation for many decades.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

22 R
DD: 0/3
FJ: :(
LT: Lawrence of Arabia, Matthew Henson, Six Feet Under

Since I did extremely well in yesterday's game, I kind of expected a not so well game for me the next day. I got what I expected.
But getting Lawrence of Arabia at age 19, that's impressive!
Hopefully better luck for me tomorrow.
Douglas Squasoni
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I happened to see (and record) the episodic promo for this episode, and look what aspect was promoted...

sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose »

I liked my guess of Ralph Ellison for FJ. Probably never would have come up with Kerouac
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

sillymoose wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:27 pm I liked my guess of Ralph Ellison for FJ. Probably never would have come up with Kerouac
Ellison was the answer to another clue earlier in the game though.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

zakharov wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:40 pm I was booing my TV by the time we got past the Landry clue in the football category. Come on, that's a gimme!

Sports-likers have such an amazing opportunity to clean up if they get a sports category. The questions are almost always easy and your fellow contestants probably wouldn't recognize a football.
The football stand-and-stare caught the attention of the folks at Deadspin.com:

https://deadspin.com/tonights-jeopardy- ... 1822646160