Football Category Poll (2/1/18 SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

How did you do in the Football category?

$200 - Your choice: do or don't name this play in which the QB runs the ball & can choose to pitch it to another back
70%
$400 - Tom Landry perfected the shotgun formation with this team
83%
$600 - By signaling for one of these, a returner can reel in a kick without fear of getting tackled
77%
$800 - These "penalties" are simultaneous violations by the offense & defense that cancel each other out
73%
$1000 - As Minneapolis' U.S. Bank Stadium prepares to host Super Bowl LII, I'm looking at the Ring of Honor, with names from this defensive line that took the Vikings to four Super Bowls
68%
I went 0/5
7%
I went 1/5
8%
I went 2/5
6%
I went 3/5
8%
I went 4/5
15%
I went 5/5
56%

Total votes: 133

alietr
Site Admin

Football Category Poll (2/1/18 SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Since this made quite a stir, let's see how people here did.

Answers:
Spoiler
$200- option play
$400 - Dallas Cowboys
$600 - fair catch
$800 - offsetting penalties
$1000 - the Purple People Eaters
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Football Category Poll (2/1/18 SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(

Good idea! I'm predicting my response will be the mode.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

$200: "play action"
$400: Lucky guess, figured the Cowboys would have had something to do with guns
$600: Instaget
$800: "Offsetting" is the term in the NFL. "Coincidental" is the term in the NHL. Went with the former. Would the latter be acceptable, judges?
$1000: No guess
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And I'm not even particularly into football. I got a bit lucky on the $1000 clue: I followed the Vikings a bit in the 1970's, when I was in my teens. My favorite color was/is purple, and I thought Fran Tarkenton was kind of cute--two good-enough reasons for a teenage girl.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

$200: Instaget
$400: Lucky (educated) guess
$600: Instaget
$800: Instaget
$1000: I'm a Vikings fan.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

So much for my prediction. Looks like the mode is going to stay at 5/5.
Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

No guess on "Purple People-Eaters." Got stuck thinking "Four Horsemen," which I knew wasn't right.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

This wasn't even a particularly difficult football category, although the Vikings clue decidedly favored those of us who watched football during the 1970s.

The "man in the funny hat" is no longer with us, but given the blank looks on the faces of Thursday's contestants, I hope he was buried with his American Express card:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8do9Y1rwQeA
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I'm a football fan, though.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Landry - King of the Hill
fair catch - probably from the discussion about moving the kickoff yard line
Purple People Eaters - One of the Deadspin writers is a sick Vikings fan...that's gotta be it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Should have gotten Dallas Cowboys and Purple People eaters. Sure I knew both of those at one time.
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

couldn't name you any of the dudes from the purple people eaters, but first heard of them when they were the subject of a reading comprehension exercise i had in 10th grade at my alternative school after having been booted from the regular school
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:

The bit of football watching I did was back in the 70s. Which I why I knew the Cowboys and should have answered the last one.

The rest don't really require you to be a fan, just to have watched - and paid attention - to a few games. Preferably college games. You don't see many pro teams running an option play, but they are (or used to be) a staple of college ball. And college players are a bit more likely to have the double screw ups resulting in offsetting penalties.
--Peter
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:50 pm
$800: "Offsetting" is the term in the NFL. "Coincidental" is the term in the NHL. Went with the former. Would the latter be acceptable, judges?
Doubtful. It's officially referred to as a "Double Foul" in the rulebook, but I've only ever heard it called "offsetting" during a game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I been watching football and rooting for the Vikings for over 40 years.
immaf

Post by immaf »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's a good thing the poll lets us revise our results. I said "play action" for the $200 clue. I initially counted it as correct, I guess because in my sad excuse for a brain "play action" became "play option" which seemed close enough to "option play." I only realized my error through reading this thread.

But was I indeed wrong? What is a "play action" play (other than something I've heard commentators say)? It it possible that "Play action" and "option play" are the same thing? I would be pleased if, amazingly, I was 5/5 in category.

I am not really a football fan but I used to watch as a kid. Also since I want to be able to talk to people at work, I will at least put the television on if the Patriots are in the playoffs/Superbowl. Oh, and I guess I am obligated to say "Go Pats."
Last edited by immaf on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teems with quiet fun.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

If I'm going 3/5 in a football category, it has no business going 0/5 on the show. But I guess I manage to absorb a bit by having enough sports fans in my family and being somewhat capable of deriving entertainment from sports.

Tom Landry -> Cowboys (and vice versa) goes hand in hand with Don Shula -> Dolphins and Vince Lombardi -> Packers for essential coach/team knowledge that I've memorized. (Bill Belichick -> Patriots probably belongs in that echelon at this point, too.)
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

immaf wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:16 pmIt's a good thing the poll lets us revise our results. I said "play action" for the $200 clue. I initially counted it as correct, I guess because in my sad excuse for a brain "play action" became "play option" which seemed close enough to "option play." I only realized my error through reading this thread.

But was I indeed wrong? What is a "play action" play (other than something I've heard commentators say)? It it possible that "Play action" and "option play" are the same thing?
To this non-expert in the game, it's a "no."

My understanding is that an option play is a running play. The QB runs across the field for a bit, then chooses to lateral the ball to the HB that is running somewhat parallel to him, or keep the ball and turn down field himself. The defense has to choose which of the two players (QB or HB) to stop. If too many go after the QB, he'll lateral the ball to the HB who won't have enough defenders to stop him quickly. If not enough defenders go after the QB, he'll be able to make the turn down field and advance the ball.

A play action is a passing play and doesn't really have an option. The QB fakes a handoff but keeps the ball and continues to drop back for a pass. The goal is to trick the defense into going after the HB who doesn't have the ball, freeing up a receiver to catch the pass.
--Peter
immaf

Post by immaf »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:35 pm
immaf wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:16 pmIt's a good thing the poll lets us revise our results. I said "play action" for the $200 clue. I initially counted it as correct, I guess because in my sad excuse for a brain "play action" became "play option" which seemed close enough to "option play." I only realized my error through reading this thread.

But was I indeed wrong? What is a "play action" play (other than something I've heard commentators say)? It it possible that "Play action" and "option play" are the same thing?
To this non-expert in the game, it's a "no."

My understanding is that an option play is a running play. The QB runs across the field for a bit, then chooses to lateral the ball to the HB that is running somewhat parallel to him, or keep the ball and turn down field himself. The defense has to choose which of the two players (QB or HB) to stop. If too many go after the QB, he'll lateral the ball to the HB who won't have enough defenders to stop him quickly. If not enough defenders go after the QB, he'll be able to make the turn down field and advance the ball.

A play action is a passing play and doesn't really have an option. The QB fakes a handoff but keeps the ball and continues to drop back for a pass. The goal is to trick the defense into going after the HB who doesn't have the ball, freeing up a receiver to catch the pass.
Okay, I'll buy that. Thanks!
Teems with quiet fun.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

No problems here for this football nut. My soul still hurts, though, seeing that happen as it did. Go Pats!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host