Friday, February 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7690, 2018-02-02

Ryan Fenster game 5-A.

CONTESTANTS
Jenny Rhodes, a university literature instructor from New York, New York
Caitlin Silberman, an archivist from Madison, Wisconsin
Ryan Fenster, a banker from SeaTac, Washington (whose 4-day cash winnings total $90,198)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. So far this season, we've had a number of 5-time champions. Ryan's on the edge of becoming a 5-time champion--if he can get by Caitlin and Jenny. That's not a sure thing. Good luck, players. Here we go. Categories, please...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORLD CAPITALS ALPHABETICALLY (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CAREER DAY (5/5)
JOIN THE TV CLUB (5/5)
STRINGING YOU ALONG (5/5)
IMPEACHED, REMOVED OR JUST QUIT (2/3)
A PROVERBIAL MESS (5/5) (Alex: You have to clean up our proverbial mess.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jenny: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Ryan: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Caitlin: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ryan found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Ryan was in the hole with -$400, Caitlin was scoreless, and Jenny had nothing in the bank. Ryan wagered $1,000.

WORLD CAPITALS ALPHABETICALLY $600: Right before Bern on the list is this city, just 600 miles away
(Ryan: What is Antwerp?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jenny: $3,000
Caitlin: $2,000
Ryan: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jenny Rhodes is from New York. University literature instructor. Jenny, many, many years ago, many years ago, people who were not into opera would go to the opera, and they'd have trouble following along, and then they invented those subtitles. And for you in college, that was your dream job.

Jenny: Yes, and I wrote my senior thesis in comparative literature on translation for opera. People frequently ask me what I expected to do with that, and a few weeks after my graduation, I started working for an opera company on the subtitles team.

Alex: Good job. Way to go.

Alex: Caitlin Silberman is an archivist from Madison, Wisconsin. And you were a cataloger for a Stanley Kubrick collection.

Caitlin: Correct. I was hired to catalog The Shining for the Stanley Kubrick Archive in London.

Alex: Hello. Redrum.

Caitlin: Redrum.

Alex: Redrum.

Alex: Ryan Fenster is our champion. I have been asked on a number of occasions if I recall appearing in The X-Files. I made one brief appearance.

Ryan: You did, but it is my favorite episode. Not--I mean, not buttering up to the judge or nothing. Legitimately, that's--

Alex: And what was the title of the episode?

Ryan: "Jose Chung's from Outer Space."

Alex: All right. How did you become an X-phile?

Ryan: My parents watched it when--little, little. But then about middle school, when I was finally old enough to watch it, they started buying--it started coming out on DVD.

Alex: Yeah. Okay. All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD CAPITALS ALPHABETICALLY $400: What comes between Dushanbe & Freetown? This U.K. city
(Ryan: What is London?)

WORLD CAPITALS ALPHABETICALLY $800: This South American capital is alphabetically between Astana & Athens

IMPEACHED, REMOVED OR JUST QUIT $1000: This leader of Japanese descent tried to quit as Peru's president in 2000 but the Congress fired him
(Ryan: Oh. Oh, my...)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jenny: $5,000
Caitlin: $4,200
Ryan: $1,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ROAMIN' CATHOLICS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WOMEN AUTHORS (4/5)
"X" = Z (4/5) (Alex: Each response will begin with the letter "X", but it has a "Z" sound.)
BILLY (5/5)
BUD (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
4 TOP MEN (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jenny: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Ryan: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Caitlin: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ryan snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Ryan had $1,800, Caitlin had $3,800, and Jenny was at $5,000. Ryan wagered $2,000.

ROAMIN' CATHOLICS $800: The Camino Ignaciano is the route of St. Ignatius from this hometown to Manresa, where he awoke spiritually
(Ryan: What is Santiago de Compostela?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ryan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Ryan had $1,400, Caitlin had $7,000, and Jenny was at $11,400. Ryan wagered $2,000.

BUD $2000: This 3-word perennial, genus Myosotis, wants you to remember that its pink buds produce blue flowers
(Alex: [Before Ryan wagers] Less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ROAMIN' CATHOLICS $1200: St. Thomas Aquinas died traveling to Lyon, France while attempting to heal this rift between the Latin & Greek churches
(Ryan: What is the Great Schism?)
[ERRATUM: "The Great Schism" was later ruled acceptable, resulting in Ryan's July 2018 return.]

ROAMIN' CATHOLICS $2000: Born in Italy in 1850, this Sacred Heart founder was canonized after her death in Chicago

WOMEN AUTHORS $2000: She's the bestselling author of the novels "The Nightingale", "Home Front" & "Firefly Lane"
(Jenny: Who is Willa Cather?)

4 TOP MEN $800: This foursome was "Runnin' With The Devil" but runnin' without brown M&Ms, excluded in their concert contracts

4 TOP MEN $2000: At the 2017 Grammys, this hard rocking quartet of dudes went (Lady) Gaga to play "Moth Into Flame"

"X" = Z $800: On the list of most popular U.S. baby boy names, it's the top one that fits the category
(Ryan: What's Xander?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jenny: $13,000
Caitlin: $9,000
Ryan: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OFFICIAL STATE STUFF

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Jenny: Wager $5,001 to cover Caitlin.
Caitlin: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $599 (martian), and you'll win the game if Jenny wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Ryan: To win, you must get Final right and count on a wagering mistake on Caitlin's part. Wager all $4,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Composers of this state's various official songs include Richard Rodgers & Woody Guthrie

FINAL SCORES
Ryan: $4,200 + $4,200 = $8,400 (What is Oklahoma) (3rd place: $1,000)
Caitlin: $9,000 - $599 = $8,401 (What is Colorado?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jenny: $13,000 - $1,101 = $11,899 (What is The State of New York?) (New champion: $11,899)
(Alex: One of those songs from a famous Broadway musical.)
(Alex: [To Ryan] Richard Rodgers, "[*]!". Woody Guthrie, "[*] Hills". That's the state folk song.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jenny: $13,000, 18 R, 1 W
Caitlin: $9,000, 11 R, 3 W
Ryan: $7,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 8 W (including 2 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $29,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jenny: 18/58 = .310
Ryan: 18/61 = .295
Caitlin: 11/58 = .190
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
STRINGING YOU ALONG $400: Since 1913 a theatre in Salzburg has presented opera & ballet performed by these, not humans
(Jenny: What is puppets?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jenny: Uh, [*].)

STRINGING YOU ALONG $800: This instrument, whose name is from Italian, usually has 4 pairs of strings

A PROVERBIAL MESS $1000: Beggars wishes were if horses ride would
(Ryan: If--what is if horses...)

WORLD CAPITALS ALPHABETICALLY $200: This city Down Under is the filling between Cairo & Capetown
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)
[ERRATUM: Cape Town is two words.]

IMPEACHED, REMOVED OR JUST QUIT $400: After impeachment, this pres. "won" in the Senate when only 35 senators--not the 36 needed to convict--voted guilty
(Caitlin: Who is Clinton?)

ROAMIN' CATHOLICS $400: In 385 St. Jerome, a widow & a group of virgins went on a pilgrimage through this "land of the Philistines"
(Caitlin: What is Canaan?)

ROAMIN' CATHOLICS $1600: Often depicted carrying Jesus on his back, he's the patron saint of travelers

WOMEN AUTHORS $800: James Corden voices Peter Rabbit in a 2018 film that's a very 21st century take on a work by this author
(Alex: Peter Rabbit opens next week, by the way.)

WOMEN AUTHORS $1200: A book by this author begins, "Are you there God? It's me, Margaret. We're moving today"
(Caitlin: Who is Cleary?)

BILLY $1600: Billy Strayhorn's lifetime collaboration with this legend led to hits like "Chelsea Bridge" & "Take the 'A' Train"
(Ryan: Who is B.B. King?)

"X" = Z $400: Wooden hammers hit wooden bars to make beautiful music on this
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Berlin
Edinburgh
Asunción
Alberto Fujimori
Loyola
a forget-me-not
a schism
Mother Cabrini
Kristin Hannah
Van Halen
Metallica
Xavier
Oklahoma
marionette puppets
a mandolin
if wishes were horses, beggars would ride
Canberra
(Andrew) Johnson
Palestine
St. Christopher
Beatrix Potter
Judy Blume
Duke Ellington
a xylophone
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OFFICIAL STATE STUFF

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Composers of this state’s various official songs include Richard Rodgers & Woody Guthrie

Ryan Fenster: 4200+4200=8400
Caitlin Silberman: 9000-599=8401
Jenny Rhodes: 13000-1101=11899 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Oklahoma (Caitlin – Colorado) (Jenny – the State of New York)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: minus 400-1000
Ryan: 1800-2000
Ryan: 1400+2000

Coryats
Ryan: 7200
Caitlin: 9000
Jenny: 13000

Combined: 29,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Ryan: 1400
Caitlin: 4200
Jenny: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

WORLD CAPITALS ALPHABETICALLY got the game off to a bad start with a neg, a missed DD, and a TS clue. Jenny saved it by bookending it getting the top & bottom clues.

Ryan missed two gettable Daily Doubles and those backward steps cost him the chance to take the game with his sole solve in the FJ! round.

I can see Jenny’s guess of NY doing a Guthrie to “This Land is Your Land” to “New York island” path if that is what she was thinking. Colorado? “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning” to “American the Beautiful” with Bates in Colorado? With the two misses I’m surprised there was not a Kansas or Missouri detour off (Everything Up’s to Date in) “Kansas City.”

My error on the FJ! clue was minor and easy to fix as I must not be used to writing out the state’s name with my first attempt leaving off the “ho.”

Jenny’s wager showed she was attempting to go to 14,001. She thought Caitlin was going to bet a pretty $5K? Caitlin played against Ryan’s doubling up and would have won if Jenny had made the traditional cover wager.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ryan really seemed to be slipping. Shame that he had the sole get and still finished last.

I hate "alphabetically first" categories. I just can NOT do them. I'm always going way too far or not far enough. Couldn't think of any "E" cities in the UK, so I tried D and F to equal fruitlessness. Any way to get any better at these?

String Me Along for $800 I got because I actually know how to play one of them. Anyone else?

Xylophones are made of wood? Every one I've seen is made of metal.

Disappointed at the lack of BILLY MAYS in the Billy category...

Not a guess on FJ! Not a word of it meant anything to me.

Lach trash: Metallica
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bad negs finally caught up with Ryan, but he's got 90k and a decent shot at the TOC, assuming it doesn't take another 2 years so as to kill off all the 4Xers again.

Guthrie? Probably some random folk stuff I've never heard before. Richard Rodgers + state? Oklahoma! Instaget before Alex finished reading the clue, which doesn't happen often with state songs/birds/etc.

Not sure what that 1101 was meant to accomplish, seems like a strange number for an 'I hate this category'-type wager. At least, I hope that's why she bet so small. I guess we'll find out on Monday. Too bad Ryan couldn't be rewarded for the sole get, or Caitlin for the proper wager from 2nd.

Not sure why Ryan kept going back to that capitals category when it was clear he was lost at sea (or why he guessed Antwerp), but thanks for the free money for us at home. World capitals, people.

Could someone post that scrambled 'fair lady' proverb clue? I'm still not sure what the answer was, or wtf it means.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I'm new to this, so please be gentle. Is this a win for the strong form of Shore's conjecture?
I'm smart and I want respect.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:35 pm Guthrie? Probably some random folk stuff I've never heard before.
Surely, you've heard of "This Land is Your Land?" :) (The lost fourth verse reflected some of his man-of-the-people roots.)

(That's not the one that Oklahoma uses as its state song, but it is, by far, his most famous song. He did a lot of Dust Bowl era folk music and some WWII era anti-Nazi stuff. He's also notable for a photo of his guitar with a sticker on it that says "This machine kills fascists.")
Last edited by tiwonge on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Ryan finishes with 33 negs in five games. (By comparison, Austin Rogers had 34 in his thirteen non-tournament games, according to the statistics on TJF.)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:35 pm
Could someone post that scrambled 'fair lady' proverb clue? I'm still not sure what the answer was, or wtf it means.
"Faint heart never won fair lady" is the saying--advice one might give to a timid suitor. Gilbert and Sullivan use it as a refrain in a trio in the second act of Iolanthe. I'm thinking it also pops up in Hamilton, but I'm not sure.

Jenny was so tickled to be playing, I couldn't help rooting for her!

Enjoy the Super Bowl, folks. And lets all take notes if we have to!
Last edited by squarekara on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:39 pm I'm new to this, so please be gentle. Is this a win for the strong form of Shore's conjecture?
It's not a Shore's game. 2nd can't both cover a zero wager by 1st and stay ahead of a double-up by 3rd.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

All the players seemed extra perky in that intro. Must have been something going on that day

Oklahoma saved me from a 0/5 week ;)

Enjoyable game. I need some of Jenny's happy pills

After Alex said LTAM, it seemed like the beep shoulda come sooner. In fact, 70 seconds passed in that interval, but who's counting!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought that Zagreb may have been the easiest clue in the alphabetical capitals. I also couldn't believe that Billy Graham was a $2000 clue when spotted "Billy" and "evangelical."

I made the same mistake with the "Great Schism" response, but I was happy to get the bottom two clues in that category.

Instant get FJ. I got it more from Woody Guthrie. I am not sure that I would have gotten it just from Richard Rodgers, but he left no doubt when combined with Guthrie.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

StevenH wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm I also couldn't believe that Billy Graham was a $2000 clue when spotted "Billy" and "evangelical."
That by itself wouldn't be enough to eliminate Billy Sunday.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Fascinating end game to this contest! I enjoyed this game all the way around. Caitlin made a good bet, too bad it didn't pan out. For me, Rodgers jumped out and I had Oklahoma as well as Maryland for some reason, but in the end made the right decision in which one to cross out.

Ryan's negs were indeed his undoing, unfortunately, and now he sits on the ToC bubble instead of possibly being locked in. After seeing what happened last cycle to Tim Kutz and Todd Giese, helplessly watching the field fill up over 18 months' time, Ryan's probably going to have an unnerving wait to find out if he'll get a shot to play again for the big money.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Wow! A category theme and a specific clue (Billy $400) just for me!
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I'll go down in flames along with our reigning champ.

R: 18, W: 4, costing 2200
Coryat: 13,600
FJ!: :mrgreen: !
DD: 2/3
LT: Berlin

Ryan's neg habits finally caught up with him. Hopefully, between now and his possible TOC appearance, he'll learn to clam up a bit. If so, he could do very well. He clearly has an excellent knowledge base.

Unlike me, who apparently didn't know much today. I kept my negs under control, but didn't know enough answers to do very well at all. Stared at (or only neg'd in) three categories today.

I got very lucky with a wild guess on FJ. Didn't know jack about Woody other than This Land, so that was no help. Way too many locations mentioned in that song. Rodgers made me think of his musical Oklahoma! and, having no better guess, I wrote that down. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Or perhaps that should be "A NUT IN ONCE FINDS A SQUIRREL WHILE A BLIND EVEN" :lol:

(Later research shows that Guthrie was from Oklahoma, which may be why he's in the clue.)
--Peter
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

33 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: Edinburgh, (Berlin), Asuncion, Alberto Fujimori, (Loyola), Mother Cabrini, Xavier

Ran World Capitals.

On Daily Double Two, I also thought Santiago de Compostela until Alex said St. Ignatius, instantly switched to Loyola.

0/5 in 4 Top Men. My Dad won't be too proud of me. Knew some of those at one time but escaped me.

Final Jeopardy: Thought of "My Old Kentucky Home" and completely missed the Richard Rodgers part of the clue. :oops:
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:28 pm
Xylophones are made of wood? Every one I've seen is made of metal.
Xylophone comes from the greek for wooden sound.
Douglas Squasoni
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:28 pm Xylophones are made of wood? Every one I've seen is made of metal.
If it's not wooden, then it's not really a xylophone. Could be a vibraphone or even a glockenspiel. (Yes, the Fisher-Price xylophone isn't a xylophone. It's a glockenspiel.)

(And if it has resonator tubes underneath, then it's a marimba and not a xylophone.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.