Monday, February 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Monday, February 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by harrumph »

Udish94 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:25 am Hi friends, Sean here! Thank you for all the kind words so far.

Was proud to redeem the sports trivia reputation of Jeopardy contestants today (I knew Josh Rosen went to a LA school, but forgot if it was UCLA or USC).

Got a lot of grief from family for missing the Samson question; apparently I did not absorb my high school theology classes as well as I thought.

Still, I'm very proud of my performance, and between this and my Birds winning the Super Bowl, its been a surreal past couple of days.
Congrats on the win and the Super Bowl.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Udish94 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:25 am Hi friends, Sean here! Thank you for all the kind words so far.
Congrats! I have a question about your last name that Alex didn't ask: do you know if that spelling is adapted from a foreign name? A quick Google search tells me there is a Lithuanian word spelled "judesius" that I'd guess isn't pronounced far off from "Udicious," for example.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 pm I still think BIBLE and SPORTS should spin off and have their own shows ;)
I would love to be a writer for Bible Jeopardy!
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

Welcome Sean, really enjoyed watching you last night. Wishing you retroactive good luck!
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

squarekara wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:52 pm
buckeyebrain wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:37 pm Is Sports Jeopardy! officially cancelled? I got an audition invite after the last online test and had to postpone, but that was before the hiatus started.
I think we could only say it's "not currently in production." I hope it's not totally dead because I want my brother-in-law to try out for it.
Dan Patrick mentioned on his show yesterday that he had met with ESPN last December in hopes of getting them to put Sports Jeopardy! on their afternoon schedule. He said that he really enjoyed doing the show and thought that ESPN would have been a good fit for it, but that didn't work out.
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 pm This is a cute category, but the whole idea of a backing band for a headliner seems anachronistic. Tommy James and the Shondells? Gladys Knight and the Pips? Even the E Street Band just seems platitudinous. But I don't have a better idea, except to call them all "some guys". They deserve some ink, especially if they actually create some of the unique sound, like Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two (or Three). I think they created the iconic boom-chicka sound.
On a semi-related note, I really enjoyed the movie 20 Feet from Stardom and have a whole new appreciation for backup singers.
Udish94

Post by Udish94 »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:21 am

Was proud to redeem the sports trivia reputation of Jeopardy contestants today (I knew Josh Rosen went to a LA school, but forgot if it was UCLA or USC).

Got a lot of grief from family for missing the Samson question; apparently I did not absorb my high school theology classes as well as I thought.

Still, I'm very proud of my performance, and between this and my Birds winning the Super Bowl, its been a surreal past couple of days.
Congrats and welcome to the board. Very impressive showing.

Did they have to edit out much chatter about the college tournament? The category was a dead giveaway, but I'm curious what else we didn't see.
I don't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I believe the only thing they edited out was Alex referencing the Tournament of Champions immediately after introducing the "College Kids" category.
Udish94

Post by Udish94 »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:00 am
Congrats! I have a question about your last name that Alex didn't ask: do you know if that spelling is adapted from a foreign name? A quick Google search tells me there is a Lithuanian word spelled "judesius" that I'd guess isn't pronounced far off from "Udicious," for example.
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure! I know several Lithuanian names that end in "aus", "ous" etc., so there is definitely potential for it to have been adapted.

All I know is that it was not adapted from Judicious, as I believe that word actually has its root in French and Latin.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Coryat: 20,000
32R, 3W (-3,600)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: UCLA, Hue.

Ran Body Part Phrases, College Kids, and Perodic Table; not so great on History (1 wrong, 4 no guess), Rivers (1 right, 1 wrong, 3 no guess), and Backup Bands (1 right, 4 no guess).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

While HSN wasn't correct (I went with Home & Garden), one of my colleagues went to tour HSN's facilities in their early days. They were showing the group around, and were particularly proud of their computer system, and how it tracked all of their customers' purchases. So the exec leading the tour asked one of the cable system general managers if he would like to look up his account. The general manager demurred, saying he'd never ordered anything from them. The HSN exec insisted that it would be worth looking anyway, if only to show off their system's capabilities. So they put his name in, and the computer started spitting out page after page of purchases, much to his shock and amazement. Apparently his wife was addicted to buying stuff from them, and he had absolutely no idea. I'll bet that got interesting when he got home.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Sean, I have just enough time before your Tuesday game airs to wish you Retro Luck!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Welcome Sean! I may also add some retroactive good luck, however if that “94” in your username is a reference to your birth year, I’ll have to throw in a “get off my lawn” as well for making me feel old. (I graduated from university in that year for Pete’s sake!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Udish94 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:45 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:21 am Did they have to edit out much chatter about the college tournament? The category was a dead giveaway, but I'm curious what else we didn't see.
I don't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I believe the only thing they edited out was Alex referencing the Tournament of Champions immediately after introducing the "College Kids" category.
I'm enjoying watching you so far!

Another geeky Inside Baseball question: when did you find out that you'd have to move your (presumed) watch party from February 19 to February 5? Did that cause you any problems?
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

somehow the weather channel didn't come to mind...the only thing i could come up with was fox sports
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:38 am Welcome Sean! I may also add some retroactive good luck, however if that “94” in your username is a reference to your birth year, I’ll have to throw in a “get off my lawn” as well for making me feel old. (I graduated from university in that year for Pete’s sake!)
1994 graduation means that you were probably born about the time I was in basic training, so you can BOTH get off my lawn...

But, if 1994 really is your birth year, Sean, then that makes your range of knowledge even more impressive. It's not uncommon for old fogies to have picked up an assortment of random facts over the years, but I am always in awe of the younger generation of Jeopardy contestants... and champions.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Udish94

Post by Udish94 »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:08 am
Udish94 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:45 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:21 am Did they have to edit out much chatter about the college tournament? The category was a dead giveaway, but I'm curious what else we didn't see.
I'm enjoying watching you so far!

Another geeky Inside Baseball question: when did you find out that you'd have to move your (presumed) watch party from February 19 to February 5? Did that cause you any problems?
My parents decided to throw a family party for the 19th to celebrate my taping. The change in schedule forced them to reschedule everything, which was a pain in the butt. Luckily, everything resolved nicely.
Udish94

Post by Udish94 »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:40 pm
dhkendall wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:38 am Welcome Sean! I may also add some retroactive good luck, however if that “94” in your username is a reference to your birth year, I’ll have to throw in a “get off my lawn” as well for making me feel old. (I graduated from university in that year for Pete’s sake!)
1994 graduation means that you were probably born about the time I was in basic training, so you can BOTH get off my lawn...

But, if 1994 really is your birth year, Sean, then that makes your range of knowledge even more impressive. It's not uncommon for old fogies to have picked up an assortment of random facts over the years, but I am always in awe of the younger generation of Jeopardy contestants... and champions.
Thank you so much for the kind words! And thank you for your service as a senior master sergeant! My cousin recently got to fly an Apache for the Army for the first time, so seeing another armed forces member associated with the air is a happy coincidence.