Monday, February 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7691, 2018-02-05

CONTESTANTS
Sean Udicious, an expeditor from Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Lorie Gasior, a license director from Gonzales, Louisiana
Jenny Rhodes, a university literature instructor from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $11,899)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, everybody. Hi, folks. Well, our returning champion, Jenny, has played really well. Lorie and Sean, we're happy to welcome you to our program. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And these are the categories you have to deal with today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEMOIRS ON AUDIBLE (5/5)
NICE JACKET! (4/5)
THE PERIODIC TABLE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FUN(?) WITH INTERNET COUNTRY CODES (2/2)
JUST ONE CONSONANT (4/5)
WEREN'T THOSE COLLEGE KIDS GREAT? (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Lorie: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jenny: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sean: $2,800
Jenny: $1,400
Lorie: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sean Udicious is from Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Sean, in this first round we have a category called Just One Consonant. When I read your name, I'm thinking, "You're missing one consonant at the beginning of Udicious." It should be Judicious.

Sean: Well, you know, I actually use the word "judicious" a lot because it helps people who don't know how to pronounce it. I've heard you-die-cee-OH-us, I've heard you-GOO-glee, I don't know how else you can mispronounce it, but I've--

Alex: And it would help them in spelling, also.

Sean: Oh, absolutely.

Alex: All right. Clever.

Alex: Lorie Gasior from Gonzales, Louisiana. Kickboxer?

Lorie: Yes.

[Alex backs away]

Lorie: About two years ago, I decided it was necessary for me to pick up a consistent exercise routine. So I thought I needed to pick something fun. And I've lost a ton of weight doing it. And let me tell you, there is nothing better for stress relief than punching something for thirty minutes.

[Laughter]

Alex: Have you ever had to use it in self-defense?

Lorie: Not yet, but I feel powerful if I do.

Alex: Why do you look at me when you say that? I'm backing off.

Alex: All right, Jenny Rhodes is our champion. She is from New York. You spent some time living in Florence, right?

Jenny: Yes, I was doing research for my dissertation, and we lived around the corner from Santa Croce. My two-year-old would wave every time we saw the statue of Dante and say, "Hello, Dante." The best money I got for my graduate education.

Alex: You're easy to please.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lorie found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Jenny had $1,600, Lorie had $1,400, and Sean was at $3,800. Lorie wagered $1,000.

THE PERIODIC TABLE $600: The coin called a "Zincoln" is 97.5% zinc & 2.5% this metal

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NICE JACKET! $1000: This Seattle man whose name is on an outdoor brand designed his first goose-down jacket after a brush with hypothermia

WEREN'T THOSE COLLEGE KIDS GREAT? $600: Down by 34 to Texas A&M with 19 minutes left, QB Josh Rosen led this West Coast school to a win in its 2017 opener

JUST ONE CONSONANT $600: It's any variety of a color to dye for

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sean: $6,600
Lorie: $5,400
Jenny: $1,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LOVE ACTUARILY (4/5)
HISTORY NEAR & FAR (1/5)
"R"IVERS (3/5)
OLD TESTA-MEN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BODY PART PHRASES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WE'LL BACK YOU UP (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 14 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 1 W
Jenny: 3 R, 1 W
Lorie: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sean snagged the next Daily Double on the 21st clue. Jenny had $2,000, Lorie had $7,400, and Sean was at $12,200. Sean wagered $2,200.

OLD TESTA-MEN $1200: "And God said unto" him, "the end of all flesh is come before me...and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sean who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Jenny had $2,000, Lorie had $7,400, and Sean was at $17,200. Sean wagered $2,000.

BODY PART PHRASES $2000: Reusing his own 4-word phrase, soccer star Diego Maradona said this brought the world "an Argentinean Pope"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WE'LL BACK YOU UP $1200: The Hooligans

HISTORY NEAR & FAR $800: Launched in 1960 to reflect radio signals, Echo was NASA's first of this type of satellite or satelloon

WE'LL BACK YOU UP $2000: Think country:
The Dancehall Doctors

HISTORY NEAR & FAR $1200: In 1976 Operation Thunderbolt was the code name of the Israeli mission to free hostages held in this African country
(Jenny: What is Libya?)
(Alex: Remember Idi Amin.)

HISTORY NEAR & FAR $1600: By act of Congress on June 2, 1924, all members of this group were declared U.S. citizens

HISTORY NEAR & FAR $2000: Published around 150 A.D., this geographer's "Cosmographia" showed an early map of Ireland

LOVE ACTUARILY $2000: The death rate in healthy men was found to double if they'd experienced this sad event from Old English reafian, "to steal"

"R"IVERS $1600: Adjectival name of a river in Sonoma County, California; nearby Sebastopol got its name from the same people

"R"IVERS $2000: The name of this Virginia river where many Civil War battles took place is Algonquin for "rise & fall of water"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sean: $22,400 (lock game)
Lorie: $7,400
Jenny: $2,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CABLE TV HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Sean: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Lorie: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Jenny: You've no hope of catching up... unless Lorie does something stupid. So risk $1,999.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"You need us...for everything you do" was a slogan used by this channel, one of the first to customize content by location

FINAL SCORES
Jenny: $2,000 - $111 = $1,889 (What is Univisio?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Lorie: $7,400 - $0 = $7,400 (What is the History) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sean: $22,400 - $2,400 = $20,000 (What is QVC) (New champion: $20,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $16,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sean: $21,400, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Lorie: $7,000, 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jenny: $2,000, 8 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $30,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Sean: 25/60 = .417
Lorie: 12/59 = .203
Jenny: 8/58 = .138
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NICE JACKET! $200: DB is short for this type of jacket with 2 rows of buttons
(Jenny: What is a double blazer?)

MEMOIRS ON AUDIBLE $200: In this first clue, we get to hear from her own lips what happened: We had settled on "Stronger Together" as our theme for the general election after a lot of thought and discussion

MEMOIRS ON AUDIBLE $400: He was born to tell his life's story: I was a guitar player on the streets of Asbury Park and already a member in good standing amongst those who lie in service of the truth

MEMOIRS ON AUDIBLE $600: He delves into some of the thrills and horrors of writing fiction: Second and slightly more important was the fact that I didn't much like the lead character. Carrie White seemed thick and passive, a ready-made victim

NICE JACKET! $800: Keep warm with a jacket sometimes called by this name, also a type of fish

WEREN'T THOSE COLLEGE KIDS GREAT? $200: Everything was big here, where Roger Clemens, Mary Lou Retton & Kevin Durant went to school
(Sean: What is Texas? Or [*]?)

WEREN'T THOSE COLLEGE KIDS GREAT? $400: This Arizona State lefty seen here was the NCAA Division I individual champ three times

MEMOIRS ON AUDIBLE $800: Now listen to him--he handles with humor how politics shaped his life: I grew up in South Africa during apartheid, which was awkward because I was raised in a mixed family, well, with me being the mixed one in the family

MEMOIRS ON AUDIBLE $1000: She has cooked up a career based on a love of food: I had a second book coming out, was hosting Top Chef and had addressed the U.N. in support of the organization then called UNIFEM
(Alex: And we have less than a minute now.)

JUST ONE CONSONANT $1000: In astronomy terms, it's one billion years
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

BODY PART PHRASES $800: To put yourself at great risk is to do this, something turtles have to do regularly
(Jenny: [*]. ...What is [*]?)

OLD TESTA-MEN $800: "No razor shall come on his head... he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines"
(Sean: Who is Moses?)
(Alex: Yes. No, sorry.)

"R"IVERS $800: This "colorful" river is known as the Song Hong in Vietnam & the Yuan Chiang in China
(Lorie: What is the Yellow River?)

LOVE ACTUARILY $1600: The A.H.A., short for this, says having a dog lowers your risk of the type of disease it fights
(Lorie: What is heart disease?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
copper
Eddie Bauer
UCLA
a hue
Noah
the hand of God
Bruno Mars
a communications satellite
Tim McGraw
Uganda
Native Americans
Ptolemy
a bereavement
the Russian River
the Rappahannock
The Weather Channel
double-breasted
Hillary Clinton
Bruce Springsteen
Stephen King
a puffer
the University of Texas
Phil Mickelson
Trevor Noah
Padma Lakshmi
eon
stick your neck out
Samson
the Red River
the American Heart Association
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CABLE TV HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“You need us…for everything you do” was a slogan used by this channel, one of the first to customize content by location

Jenny Rhodes: 2000-111=1889
Lorie Gasior: 7400-0=7400
Sean Udicious: 22400-2400=20000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Weather Channel (Jenny – Univiso) (Lorie – the History) (Sean - QVC)

Daily Doubles
Lorie: 1400+1000
Sean: 12200+2000
Sean: 17200+2000

Coryats
Jenny: 2000
Lorie: 7000
Sean: 21400

Combined: 30,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Jenny: 1600
Lorie: 5400
Sean: 6600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

WEREN’T THOSE COLLEGE KIDS GREAT?
The category went: S, S, Stumper, S, S and Sean got DD3 with a sports portion as well, so he’s already improved upon the performance in sports from last week.

Hammer time: WE’LL BACK YOU UP $2000 - Think country: The Dancehall Doctors
I was with the players making it 0/4.

The FJ! clue had me thankful for think time. I read the clue, reread it and reread it again. I had nothing. Looking for some kind of guess and hating that I was going to miss a TV clue I wrote “Ho” in thinking perhaps Home Shopping Network sold cold weather stuff to the East and warm weather stuff to the West.

It was a beautiful aha moment when I knew I could stop writing my incorrect response and switch to the correct one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went 4/5 in the sports category, missing the swimmer’s name. I got the sports related DD. I joined Sean with QVC in FJ.

I guess the college category was picked to follow the college tournament that wasn’t the last two weeks.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I enjoyed Alex's Bible readings. Maybe he can strike a deal with Audible.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was surprised nobody got that FJ. I initially considered the TV Guide Channel but hit upon the right answer pretty quickly.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

I wonder if it's a coincidence given today's FJ, but today is National Weatherperson's Day.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

acthomas wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:11 pm I wonder if it's a coincidence given today's FJ, but today is National Weatherperson's Day.
It's absolutely a coincidence, considering this game was originally supposed to run on Feb. 19.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm with the champ in a way. You can't believe how much people struggle with "Peacock".

That was a very easy Chemistry category which I easily ran. Got all but Koi in the word category.

Still in a rut. I had absolutely nothing. What kind of TV network would customize content for different regions? I literally had no idea what to even put down.

Lach Trash: hue, Tim McGraw, Native Americans
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Briefly flirted with QVC/HSN before 'customized by location' -> weather clicked.

I wonder how this group would've handled that football category.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Seriously? I never heard the slogan but figured TWC by the time I got to the end of the clue. Very surprised that it was a TS and that some boardies also had trouble with it, but I do (sheepishly) admit to being a fan back in the day.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:12 pm
acthomas wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:11 pm I wonder if it's a coincidence given today's FJ, but today is National Weatherperson's Day.
It's absolutely a coincidence, considering this game was originally supposed to run on Feb. 19.
I just went back to look for the edit in the intro to remove any reference to the College Championship or Jenny's two-week absence--I think I found it.

For me, FJ! was an instaget--I guess it depends on whether it occurs to you or not.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:33 pm Briefly flirted with QVC/HSN before 'customized by location' -> weather clicked.

The only college sports question they missed was the football one...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So what could I have even GUESSED at this point if the right answer wasn't within a lightyear of me?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Insta-get for me.
I'm surprised that it was a triple stumper and no one guessed CNN.

Only thing I watch on TWC is the series Highway Through Hell, Why Airplanes Crash, and some of those survival shows, like the ones with Creek Stewart.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,600
42 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: UCLA, Native Americans

Maybe it's the fact that I've been living in hotels for the majority of the last six months, but I was done writing before Alex was done reading.

"Noble gases" a $1000 response when spotted two of them? Come on. Also, "American Heart Association" for $1600 seemed pretty weak. (Yes, one of the contestants negged on the latter clue, but she clearly understood the key fact described therein.)
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

tiwonge wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:44 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:33 pm Briefly flirted with QVC/HSN before 'customized by location' -> weather clicked.

The only college sports question they missed was the football one...
You would have had to have known the QB’s name or remembered his comeback against A&M. I got it from the latter.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Instaget final.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 pm Lach Trash: Tim McGraw
I thought about you when that clue came up, being the country music nut you are. I missed it, myself... embarrassingly, as I was looking through his discography page maybe a month ago. The album was out just maybe a year or two before I started listening to country, and little did I realize that five singles came off that album. Nevertheless, considering that was fifteen years ago, I thought it was a really nasty clue.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 22, W: 3, costing 2400
Coryat: 13,200
FJ: :(
DD: 2/3
LT: none

Ran the "chemistry" category, where you needed to know something about the periodic table only for the last question. A bit mis-labeled if you ask me. I would have called it "Elementary" instead. College sports? Nope. Backing bands? Nope. History? The writers win that one. Players were 1/5, and I did worse, guessing and missing on one. Almost ran the Bible category - couldn't pull up David's son (well, the right one - there's a boatload to choose from).

If the Weather Channel is customized by location, they were beaten by several years by the morning shows on ABC and NBC. I think both "Today" and "Good Morning America" started tossing the second half of their weather segments to local stations very early on. Still, TWC never crossed my mind. I had HBO just to put something down. Back to blind squirrel mode.

Quite an impressive game by Sean. He clearly gave his 3rd DD wager some thought. Then chose to keep the wager fairly small so as not to unduly risk his runaway game.

The slow sponsored category bites again.
--Peter