Tuesday, February 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:22 pm

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:22 pm

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:29 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PHILOSOPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Despite the title, in this Plato work, Socrates says, “I shall never alter my ways, not even if I have to die many times”

Sean Udicious: 16400-5601=10799 (2x = $30,799)
Nabila Yusaf: 9400-7001=2399
Quin Lewellen: 11000-5401=5599

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Apology or Apologia (Sean – the Cave) (Nabila – Republic) (Quin – What is ?)

Daily Doubles
Quin: 2800-1000
Nabila: 3400+2400
Quin: 6000+3000

Coryats
Sean: 16400
Nabila: 8600
Quin: 9800

Combined: 34,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Sean: 6800
Nabila: 2200
Quin: 1600

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:31 pm

Story time was unusual with so many plugs worked in between Nabila’s water brands and Sean’s employer.

Without naming Ryan, Alex mentioned the champ from “a few weeks ago” who was from one of the stumper areas in PORT-MAP-TEAU.

The FJ! clue went 0/3 with the contestants and I cannot help the percentage. I knew not to copy Nabila’s guess while from there I was up a creek with nothing else in the guesstuary. With my words in the Education thread fresh about guessing something-anything I did not want to so soon leave a blank page. I scribbled Reincarnation to beat the clock.

The Archive shows there have been enough uses of the work for it to have gone past me multiple times, though without it sticking. Where was this clue when Michael Rooney could have used it?

The DD3 wager was 6000+3000 in a second box clue. If Quin goes all in then that greatly changes the wagering scenario for the FJ! round. Not that Sean is complaining about how things went down.

The game had a couple more sports-related clues with mascot Bobcat’s baseball team and WWE’s co-founder. Sean got one and the other one went TS.

Sometimes it helps to remember the category: ENTERTAINE”D”. I did not know it, but figured out which team to guess since I always start recalling teams with the NL West.

Yay for Quin calling out some picks in PIRATES! while using an argh-cent. In one way I’m glad Quin lost since his name alone has put a Manfred Mann song in my head.

Time to spare: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3951&p=252877&hilit ... to#p252877

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:04 pm

That strikes me as a tough FJ clue, though I am not as strong on ancient philosophy as I am on more modern philosophical works. All I could think of was The Republic.

tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:38 pm

It's a rather academic FJ question. I got it immediately, but I can see where somebody without much exposure to the names of Plato's works might have a problem. (Sean clearly has some exposure to Plato given his answer of the cave, but that's an analogy within The Republic, and not a separate dialogue.)

If you've heard of The Apology, it's possible to tease it out (if you know what apologetics is, or some related word suggesting that apology is not saying sorry, but an explanation). If you've never heard of it, it's probably not something you'd get.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:42 pm

tiwonge wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:38 pm
It's a rather academic FJ question. I got it immediately, but I can see where somebody without much exposure to the names of Plato's works might have a problem. (Sean clearly has some exposure to Plato given his answer of the cave, but that's an analogy within The Republic, and not a separate dialogue.)

If you've heard of The Apology, it's possible to tease it out (if you know what apologetics is, or some related word suggesting that apology is not saying sorry, but an explanation). If you've never heard of it, it's probably not something you'd get.
Thanks for the reminder to check on Sean's response. An Archive search of "plato cave" has two results:
#6344, aired 2012-03-29 PHILOSOPHICAL METAPHORS $400: Plato said the world of sense experience is like living in one of these, seeing only shadows of true reality
#3562, aired 2000-02-15 OOH, A WISE GUY $400: Plato compared the unenlightened to people chained up in one of these looking at shadows

ETA: Congrats on the solve of a clue that will not poll high at the end of the week.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:18 pm

I wasn't going to get that one. The only Plato work I could come up with was The Republic but that didn't match the clue.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:30 pm

Ran Shooting "BB"s and Graphics. All but "bonnet" in Britspeak.

I saw no way to figure out "Unknown Soldier" at $200.

I heard an ad for Altered Carbon on Pandora the other day and still blanked on the name.

No way was I getting this one if I've NHOI.

Lach Trash: Sea Tac, Delmar
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:52 pm

To me, I thought it was the sort of Final where if you've heard of the work, it would be a "what else could it be?", especially with the "despite the title" and the apparent non-apology of Socrates.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:54 pm

"But they're like the people chained up in the cave
In the allegory of the people in the cave by the Greek guy"

The only Plato work I could think of was The Republic. Would that it were so simple.

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:17 pm

My husband got FJ immediately, but I myself would not have come up with it in time. And thank you, contestants, for doing well with the Mister Rogers category!

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Including Kara's hubby that is 3 out of 9 getting the FJ! clue. Counting the contestants it's 3/12, so 25% - 33% for the weekly poll seems about right to me even with the small sample.

heppm01

Post by heppm01 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:24 pm

Tally up another for The Republic. 99% sure it was incorrect but nothing else came to mind.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Coryat: $29,600
43 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: unknown soldier, caddies, resolution (DD), Seatac

It didn't make any difference with respect to my performance since I NHO the correct response, but the "despite the title" TOM was weird since apology is a contronym. It seems to me that the type of apology referred to in the title of the work was "a reasoned argument or writing in justification of something" rather than "a regretful acknowledgment of an offense or failure."

"Despacito" for $2000, spotted the first letter, artists, and English translation? Come on, guys. It was by far the most popular song of 2017, topping the Billboard Hot 100 for a record-tying 16 weeks.
Sprinkles are for winners.

Plactus

Post by Plactus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:53 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:31 pm
Sometimes it helps to remember the category: ENTERTAINE”D”. I did not know it, but figured out which team to guess since I always start recalling teams with the NL West.
I thought of the Diamondbacks but clammed, because why would the Diamondbacks have a bobcat mascot? (A quick visit to Google reveals it's derived from BOB "Bank One Ballpark.")

DBear

Post by DBear » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:01 pm

I WAGed "Apologies". This FJ seems like pure YEKIOYD.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:04 pm

Congrats to Sean for another commanding performance. I figured Quin's best bet was $0, but that's hard to do, psychologically. Still. A $0 bet potentially lets Nabila ahead of him, but it wins on a TS or a double-stumper for Sean and Nabila. And if Sean misses FJ (which has to happen for Quin to win), I think Nabila is more likely to also miss than to get it. So bet for that possibility. $0.

Netflix has been pitching Altered Carbon pretty strong lately. I doubt I'd have gotten it when the show was taped.

That GRAPHICS DD really tripped me up: DESIGNERS WANT IMAGES TO BE CLEAR & HAVE GOOD THIS 10-LETTER WORD, ALSO A FAVORABLE NOVEL OUTCOME. I got stuck on "denouement". Couldn't shake it. It's got 10 letters and everything. Tangentially, I'm not sure that a "resolution" has to mean a favorable outcome. Would the writers want to say that Hamlet lacks a resolution? That's just a quibble, though. The word "favorable" isn't what kept me from getting that DD.

FJ was old school. This is the kind of thing they used to expect you to know 30 years ago. The game was more academic back then. So now I have two in a row that were triple-stumpers for the contestants. I haven't felt this smart since the TOC final. :D

LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:17 pm

35 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :x
LT: (Resolution), Seatac, Alexander Selkirk

Ran Pirates.

Final Jeopardy: Couldn't remember any Plato work other than "The Republic". More keen on the other philosophers' works.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 pm

DBear wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:01 pm
I WAGed "Apologies". This FJ seems like pure YEKIOYD.
So "Apologies" is a miss? Helluva WAG attempt!. I tried to think of a potential book title synonymous with unrepentant or recalcitrant and would have used this word if I'd thought of it. I can't say I even knew that the popular wrong answer "Republic" was a Plato work. I should'a guessed "Pirate". My current FJ streak is over at 1 factorial. Or Zero factorial for that matter :!:

Good steady play by Sean, he doesn't go in reverse too much. Given the category, he's lucky that Quin didn't bet zip. But Quin would be right to assume Sean will get it as his knowledge base seems deep and wide. But, I think he should have held on his 12 to the dealer's 4 (blackjack analogy).
- All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford (Winner of Nobel price in CHEMISTRY)-
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.