Tuesday, February 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7692, 2018-02-06

CONTESTANTS
Quin Lewellen, a graphic designer from Albuquerque, New Mexico
Nabila Yusaf, a software engineer from New York, New York
Sean Udicious, an expeditor from Cherry Hill, New Jersey (whose 1-day cash winnings total $20,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. It's always nice to make a good first impression, and that's what Sean did on our program yesterday. He'd've won more than $20,000, but he missed the Final Jeopardy! Nabila and Quin, welcome aboard. Good to have you here, and good luck.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CELEBRATING MISTER ROGERS (5/5) (Alex: Would all three of you like to be my friends? I hope so, because we're gonna be...)
MEDICINE (4/5)
SHOOTING "BB"s (5/5)
MEMORIALS (4/5)
PEWTER (2/3)
GRAPHICS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 11 R, 0 W
Quin: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Nabila: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sean: $2,400
Nabila: $2,200
Quin: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Quin Lewellen is a graphic designer from New Mexico. Quin, appearances are often deceiving. You look young.

Quin: Yes.

Alex: You used to go home during your lunch break when you were in high school to watch Jeopardy!

Quin: Yeah, so I went home every day for lunch and watched Jeopardy! religiously.

Alex: Why?

Quin: Well, I loved it, and I was good at it. And everybody said, "Oh, you should go on Jeopardy! some day." And--

Alex: Okay, well, you're here today.

Alex: Nabila Yusaf from New York, a software engineer, who is a self-described water sommelier?

Nabila: Yes. I know it sounds weird, but I can tell the difference between different types of water--bottled water, of course. Fiji, Aquafina, Poland Spring, Evian.

Alex: All right, help me out on this one.

Nabila: Yeah.

Alex: Do we overpay for these waters?

Nabila: I think so. It's better to drink tap water, but tap water doesn't taste good to me, so I have to drink bottled water.

Alex: Do the words Chardonnay mean anything to you?

Alex: Sean Udicious is our champion. He is an expeditor from New Jersey. What do you expedite?

Sean: So I'm in charge of making sure that our vehicle registrations are renewed on time and given to our clients in a timely manner.

Alex: Okay. So you work for a big company, then.

Sean: Yes. ARI in Mount Laurel, New Jersey. We're the largest fleet management corporation in the U.S.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Quin found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Sean had $3,400, Nabila had $1,800, and Quin was at $2,800. Quin wagered $1,000.

GRAPHICS $600: Designers want images to be clear & have good this 10-letter word, also a favorable novel outcome
(Quin: What... what is...)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MEMORIALS $200: At the India Gate War Memorial, a flame known as the Amar Jawan Jyoti marks a tomb for this symbolic fighter

PEWTER $400: Pewter was often used to create these tea holders that sound at home on the golf course

MEDICINE $1000: The Dick test is a skin test of susceptibility to this colorful affliction common in children
(Quin: What is yellow fever?)
(Nabila: What is jaundice?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sean: $6,800
Nabila: $2,200
Quin: $1,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PIRATES! (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PORT-MAP-TEAU (3/5)
WOMEN IN GOVERNMENT (4/4)
MORE THAN ONE LIFE TO LIVE (2/4)
BRIT SPEAK (5/5)
ENTERTAINE"D" (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 7 R, 0 W
Nabila: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Quin: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nabila snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Sean had $7,200, Nabila had $3,400, and Quin was at $2,400. Nabila wagered $2,400.

PIRATES! $1600: In 1815 James Madison pardoned him & his men
(Alex: The end of the War of 1812.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Quin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. Sean had $9,200, Nabila had $6,600, and Quin was at $6,000. Quin wagered $3,000.

ENTERTAINE"D" $800: Shigeru Miyamoto was partly inspired by "Beauty & the Beast" when he created this arcade game

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ENTERTAINE"D" $1600: A bobcat named Baxter entertains the fans as the mascot of this baseball team

PORT-MAP-TEAU $800: Midway between 2 of the largest cities in Washington state, it contains a big airport
(Alex: We had a contestant on our program just a few weeks ago from [*].)

PORT-MAP-TEAU $2000: Remove VA for Virginia from the name of a peninsula & you get this "Little Town Too Big for One State"
(Alex: In the Delmarva peninsula.)

PIRATES! $2000: Before he got stuck on a Pacific island in 1704, this Defoe inspiration was a buccaneer & privateer
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go now.)

MORE THAN ONE LIFE TO LIVE $2000: Many historical figures from Earth come back on this watery title world thanks to Philip Jose Farmer

MORE THAN ONE LIFE TO LIVE $800: Takeshi Kovacs can just download into a new body when he dies in Richard Morgan's "Altered" this element
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sean: $16,400
Quin: $11,000
Nabila: $9,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PHILOSOPHY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Sean: Wager $5,601 to cover Quin.
Quin: You ought to wager to cover Nabila, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $11,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $7,800 (to shut out Nabila) or less than $200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Nabila). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Sean.
Nabila: Considering that you're going to lose on a Triple Stumper by at least $1,400, you need to bet either $1,601, and play for a win if Quin tries to two-thirds Sean, or bet at least $7,001 to cover Sean's $0 bet (though, from this position, a wager of all $9,400 is acceptable and perhaps preferred).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Despite the title, in this Plato work, Socrates says, "I shall never alter my ways, not even if I have to die many times"

FINAL SCORES
Nabila: $9,400 - $7,001 = $2,399 (What is Republic?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Quin: $11,000 - $5,401 = $5,599 (What is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sean: $16,400 - $5,601 = $10,799 (What is the cave) (2-day champion: $30,799)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sean: $16,400, 18 R, 0 W
Quin: $9,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Nabila: $8,600, 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $34,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Sean: 18/58 = .310
Quin: 15/60 = .250
Nabila: 13/59 = .220
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CELEBRATING MISTER ROGERS $200: Mister Rogers' mom knitted many sweaters he wore on each show, & in 1984, he donated an iconic red cardigan to this institution

CELEBRATING MISTER ROGERS $400: In 1969, Mister Rogers testified before the Senate to fight this president's proposal to cut federal grants to PBS in half--& won

CELEBRATING MISTER ROGERS $600: Mister Rogers got to meet Koko, a gorilla with a vocabulary of more than 1,000 words in this form of communication

CELEBRATING MISTER ROGERS $800: Mister Rogers voiced many puppets in his neighborhood, including this original one; his son stars in an animated spin-off

CELEBRATING MISTER ROGERS $1000: He was on the show's floor crew & was even on camera at times, maybe paving his way to be Batman & Birdman

MEMORIALS $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from Copenhagen, Denmark.) The anchor honors the Danish navy, whose greatest triumph during World War II was sinking 32 of its own ships on August 29, 1943, as the Germans imposed this type of law & increased control

GRAPHICS $400: Kerning is all about attention to detail regarding the space between these
(Nabila: What are fonts?)

MEDICINE $800: From the Latin, this 4-letter hospital code word means "immediately"
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

MEMORIALS $1000: In Menlo Park, New Jersey you can see the memorial tower named for this man

PEWTER $600: The Danforth name has meant pewter for centuries; a 1795 plate set was appraised at $3,000 in Raleigh on this PBS series
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

BRIT SPEAK $2000: The Brits refer to Heath Robinson, whose work is seen here, where Americans say this machine-crazy cartoonist

PORT-MAP-TEAU $400: 3 cities combine in the name of Dalworthington Gardens in this state
(Quin: What is West Virginia?)
(Alex: Dallas, Fort Worth and Arlington.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
resolution
the Unknown Soldier
tea caddies
scarlet fever
(Jean) Lafitte
Donkey Kong
the Arizona Diamondbacks
SeaTac
Delmar
Alexander Selkirk
Riverworld
Altered Carbon
the Apologia or Apology
the Smithsonian
Richard Nixon
sign language
Daniel Tiger
Michael Keaton
martial law
letters
stat
Thomas Edison
Antiques Roadshow
Rube Goldberg
Texas
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PHILOSOPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Despite the title, in this Plato work, Socrates says, “I shall never alter my ways, not even if I have to die many times”

Sean Udicious: 16400-5601=10799 (2x = $30,799)
Nabila Yusaf: 9400-7001=2399
Quin Lewellen: 11000-5401=5599

Correct response:
Spoiler
Apology or Apologia (Sean – the Cave) (Nabila – Republic) (Quin – What is ?)

Daily Doubles
Quin: 2800-1000
Nabila: 3400+2400
Quin: 6000+3000

Coryats
Sean: 16400
Nabila: 8600
Quin: 9800

Combined: 34,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Sean: 6800
Nabila: 2200
Quin: 1600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Story time was unusual with so many plugs worked in between Nabila’s water brands and Sean’s employer.

Without naming Ryan, Alex mentioned the champ from “a few weeks ago” who was from one of the stumper areas in PORT-MAP-TEAU.

The FJ! clue went 0/3 with the contestants and I cannot help the percentage. I knew not to copy Nabila’s guess while from there I was up a creek with nothing else in the guesstuary. With my words in the Education thread fresh about guessing something-anything I did not want to so soon leave a blank page. I scribbled Reincarnation to beat the clock.

The Archive shows there have been enough uses of the work for it to have gone past me multiple times, though without it sticking. Where was this clue when Michael Rooney could have used it?

The DD3 wager was 6000+3000 in a second box clue. If Quin goes all in then that greatly changes the wagering scenario for the FJ! round. Not that Sean is complaining about how things went down.

The game had a couple more sports-related clues with mascot Bobcat’s baseball team and WWE’s co-founder. Sean got one and the other one went TS.

Sometimes it helps to remember the category: ENTERTAINE”D”. I did not know it, but figured out which team to guess since I always start recalling teams with the NL West.

Yay for Quin calling out some picks in PIRATES! while using an argh-cent. In one way I’m glad Quin lost since his name alone has put a Manfred Mann song in my head.

Time to spare: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3951&p=252877&hilit ... to#p252877
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

That strikes me as a tough FJ clue, though I am not as strong on ancient philosophy as I am on more modern philosophical works. All I could think of was The Republic.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

It's a rather academic FJ question. I got it immediately, but I can see where somebody without much exposure to the names of Plato's works might have a problem. (Sean clearly has some exposure to Plato given his answer of the cave, but that's an analogy within The Republic, and not a separate dialogue.)

If you've heard of The Apology, it's possible to tease it out (if you know what apologetics is, or some related word suggesting that apology is not saying sorry, but an explanation). If you've never heard of it, it's probably not something you'd get.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

tiwonge wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:38 pm It's a rather academic FJ question. I got it immediately, but I can see where somebody without much exposure to the names of Plato's works might have a problem. (Sean clearly has some exposure to Plato given his answer of the cave, but that's an analogy within The Republic, and not a separate dialogue.)

If you've heard of The Apology, it's possible to tease it out (if you know what apologetics is, or some related word suggesting that apology is not saying sorry, but an explanation). If you've never heard of it, it's probably not something you'd get.
Thanks for the reminder to check on Sean's response. An Archive search of "plato cave" has two results:
#6344, aired 2012-03-29 PHILOSOPHICAL METAPHORS $400: Plato said the world of sense experience is like living in one of these, seeing only shadows of true reality
#3562, aired 2000-02-15 OOH, A WISE GUY $400: Plato compared the unenlightened to people chained up in one of these looking at shadows

ETA: Congrats on the solve of a clue that will not poll high at the end of the week.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I wasn't going to get that one. The only Plato work I could come up with was The Republic but that didn't match the clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Shooting "BB"s and Graphics. All but "bonnet" in Britspeak.

I saw no way to figure out "Unknown Soldier" at $200.

I heard an ad for Altered Carbon on Pandora the other day and still blanked on the name.

No way was I getting this one if I've NHOI.

Lach Trash: Sea Tac, Delmar
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

To me, I thought it was the sort of Final where if you've heard of the work, it would be a "what else could it be?", especially with the "despite the title" and the apparent non-apology of Socrates.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

"But they're like the people chained up in the cave
In the allegory of the people in the cave by the Greek guy"

The only Plato work I could think of was The Republic. Would that it were so simple.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

My husband got FJ immediately, but I myself would not have come up with it in time. And thank you, contestants, for doing well with the Mister Rogers category!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Including Kara's hubby that is 3 out of 9 getting the FJ! clue. Counting the contestants it's 3/12, so 25% - 33% for the weekly poll seems about right to me even with the small sample.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Tally up another for The Republic. 99% sure it was incorrect but nothing else came to mind.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,600
43 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: unknown soldier, caddies, resolution (DD), Seatac

It didn't make any difference with respect to my performance since I NHO the correct response, but the "despite the title" TOM was weird since apology is a contronym. It seems to me that the type of apology referred to in the title of the work was "a reasoned argument or writing in justification of something" rather than "a regretful acknowledgment of an offense or failure."

"Despacito" for $2000, spotted the first letter, artists, and English translation? Come on, guys. It was by far the most popular song of 2017, topping the Billboard Hot 100 for a record-tying 16 weeks.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:31 pm Sometimes it helps to remember the category: ENTERTAINE”D”. I did not know it, but figured out which team to guess since I always start recalling teams with the NL West.
I thought of the Diamondbacks but clammed, because why would the Diamondbacks have a bobcat mascot? (A quick visit to Google reveals it's derived from BOB "Bank One Ballpark.")
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I WAGed "Apologies". This FJ seems like pure YEKIOYD.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Congrats to Sean for another commanding performance. I figured Quin's best bet was $0, but that's hard to do, psychologically. Still. A $0 bet potentially lets Nabila ahead of him, but it wins on a TS or a double-stumper for Sean and Nabila. And if Sean misses FJ (which has to happen for Quin to win), I think Nabila is more likely to also miss than to get it. So bet for that possibility. $0.

Netflix has been pitching Altered Carbon pretty strong lately. I doubt I'd have gotten it when the show was taped.

That GRAPHICS DD really tripped me up: DESIGNERS WANT IMAGES TO BE CLEAR & HAVE GOOD THIS 10-LETTER WORD, ALSO A FAVORABLE NOVEL OUTCOME. I got stuck on "denouement". Couldn't shake it. It's got 10 letters and everything. Tangentially, I'm not sure that a "resolution" has to mean a favorable outcome. Would the writers want to say that Hamlet lacks a resolution? That's just a quibble, though. The word "favorable" isn't what kept me from getting that DD.

FJ was old school. This is the kind of thing they used to expect you to know 30 years ago. The game was more academic back then. So now I have two in a row that were triple-stumpers for the contestants. I haven't felt this smart since the TOC final. :D
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

35 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :x
LT: (Resolution), Seatac, Alexander Selkirk

Ran Pirates.

Final Jeopardy: Couldn't remember any Plato work other than "The Republic". More keen on the other philosophers' works.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

DBear wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:01 pm I WAGed "Apologies". This FJ seems like pure YEKIOYD.
So "Apologies" is a miss? Helluva WAG attempt!. I tried to think of a potential book title synonymous with unrepentant or recalcitrant and would have used this word if I'd thought of it. I can't say I even knew that the popular wrong answer "Republic" was a Plato work. I should'a guessed "Pirate". My current FJ streak is over at 1 factorial. Or Zero factorial for that matter :!:

Good steady play by Sean, he doesn't go in reverse too much. Given the category, he's lucky that Quin didn't bet zip. But Quin would be right to assume Sean will get it as his knowledge base seems deep and wide. But, I think he should have held on his 12 to the dealer's 4 (blackjack analogy).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.