Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:00 pm
Jasper wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 pm I beg to differ. Any number of other clues (including still images or moving images) falling under that category could have been used instead of the particular scene from the film "Working Girl." Using the image that the writers selected was uncalled for and insensitive.

Jasper
Not a New Yorker, but I don't see how erasing every mention of two iconic buildings that stood in Manhattan for 30 years is something we should do. They were in the movie, the clue was about the movie, and they weren't shown in any negative way. They existed, I don't know why we shouldn't acknowledge that.
I was born in Brooklyn (in 1961) and lived there until I graduated from high school in 1978, and I agree.
Also born in Brooklyn and also agree with Mike
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Jasper wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 pm I beg to differ. Any number of other clues (including still images or moving images) falling under that category could have been used instead of the particular scene from the film "Working Girl." Using the image that the writers selected was uncalled for and insensitive.

Jasper
Not a New Yorker, but I don't see how erasing every mention of two iconic buildings that stood in Manhattan for 30 years is something we should do. They were in the movie, the clue was about the movie, and they weren't shown in any negative way. They existed, I don't know why we shouldn't acknowledge that.
Agreed. I understand the knee-jerk reaction in the immediate aftermath, but this isn't 2002.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 pm It's off topic, but can anyone explain the little animated scroll circles on the left side of the main message board? I found I can just click the red ones and go straight to the first unread post - very handy. Others are animated, but not red color. Others are not animated. Does the animation mean someone has it open currently?
I think that the animation means that it's a "hot" topic--one that has a lot of current activity.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Play the Daytime Jeopardy! game from February 8, 2017 first, have a FJ! instaget in the category NATIONAL ANTHEMS

Then play the regular game from February 7, 2018 and get a FJ instaget in the category FLAG COLORS

TPTB, if you're listening, can I request to be Called to go on the February 6, 2019 game? I promise I'll make a ratings-worthy bet in the category CANADIAN GEOGRAPHY

Was this the first time (at least in a very long time) that a "sponsored" category (i.e. category that they most likely paid good money by paying celebrities to deliver clues as part of a product placement) was not revealed in its entirety? I thought the general rule was that those categories are guaranteed to have all 5 clues shown, so if you want to have all the clues in the round played, save it for last. Today seemed to contradict that.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:07 pm I didn't know New York City HAD a flag,
Any city of any decent size has a flag, and NYC is definitely of a decent size (though I'd forgive the average person (which includes you) if they are unaware of this fact.) Even several dinky little towns like, say, West Branch, Michigan as a random example, have a flag (although dinky little towns tend to have incredibly poorly designed flags, West Branch's being a typical example.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:27 am Even several dinky little towns like, say, West Branch, Michigan as a random example, have a flag (although dinky little towns tend to have incredibly poorly designed flags, West Branch's being a typical example.)
Spoiler
I got this one mostly from the Knicks and Mets and assumed white had to be the third color. I knew the Dutch wear orange speed skating outfits (and probably other orange sports costumes), and I was somewhat confident I knew what their flag looks like.

Another angle I only just thought of is that New York State's license plates are blue and orange, and they were blue and white before that. But that may be completely unrelated to any of this (though getting the right answer for the wrong reason still counts). And they were red, white, and blue before that. And all kinds of colors before that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I guessed orange was the former color, and I was pretty sure the Dutch flag is currently RWB, and I was pretty sure the Mets were blue, so I chose red to round out the trio. Too bad.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 pm

Jasper
Agree 100%

I guess if showing an image of the Twin Towers now is insensitive then the entire movie Titanic is insensitive.
well put
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pm The mods are a pretty mellow bunch so I can't imagine what was said to earn an instant month ban...yikes.

I need to hear a clip of him saying 'veterinarian' because that seemed pretty damn generous.
Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:23 pm Marcy should have headed to the bottom of the sun category with time running out, She only got to three clues and was still $100 out of first.
I spent the entire last minute of that round screaming at the TV. When she came up $100 short of the lead I just shook my head. I also wnted to see some larger DD wagers, so this wasn't a banner day for me :lol:

Instaget FJ...but this is the part where I admit that while I'm sure I've seen NYC's flag literally thousands of times on buildings, in news stories, etc., I could not have told you its colors. The Knicks and the inferior baseball team's colors? Easy money. The poll question practically writes itself ("The teams colors were more helpful..."). I wonder if dhk's knowledge of flags extends to cities...

...OK not really. Would the team colors have been helpful to you at all?
Inferior?!?!?! You trying to get banned, too?!?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Jasper wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 pm Terrible form to have used an image with the Twin Towers in the background as part of the Staten Island Ferry category. What were the writers thinking?

Jasper
A few other people have said it, but ... having watched them building the Twin Towers, having admired them over many years and what an important part of the City they were, and having lost an old friend there, I appreciate that they got shown. Sure, it fills me with sadness to see them, but I don't want them to disappear from history. It honors the memory of the people we lost to show them.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ purely from the sports angle. I don't see how else you could have got this one. I can see the orange and Dutch connection, but since you needed all 3 this strikes me as a strange clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:15 am Inferior?!?!?! You trying to get banned, too?!?
I second the banning ....
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:58 am
alietr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:15 am Inferior?!?!?! You trying to get banned, too?!?
I second the banning ....
does phpBB allow for some token five-minute ban? :lol:
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:23 pm I knew orange and blue but put red for the third color for some reason.
Because of the reference to the Netherlands, I put down orange with a high degree of confidence.

Because of my hazy memory of the Mets logo, I put down blue with about a 50-50 degree of confidence.

Then I stared and debated between what seemed like two reasonable choices: red and white. At the last second WAGGED white.

I'll take it. Seems like another in a series of FJ clues much harder than usual this week.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Udish94 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 pm
thenextofken wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:52 pm
jpr281 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:08 pm Sean gets questionable thumbs ups from the judges on "veterinarian" and "discography". I thought they were also going to allow "disability". :roll:
I was surprised the first two went in his favor, as it seemed to contradict the show's own rules.
To be honest, I still don't know why they were so lenient.

Happy to see John win. We grabbed In N Out after the week's tapings and he couldn't have been nicer.
They must give some allowance for being tongue-tied on occasion but it seems that they're a bit inconsistent in when they allow a player to restate a word (or phrase) and when Alex jumps in to preclude that opportunity.

Sorry to see you go - I guess you couldn't hear us all yelling "Swift!" several months in the future. :D
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:19 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:23 pm I knew orange and blue but put red for the third color for some reason.
Because of the reference to the Netherlands, I put down orange with a high degree of confidence.

Because of my hazy memory of the Mets logo, I put down blue with about a 50-50 degree of confidence.

Then I stared and debated between what seemed like two reasonable choices: red and white. At the last second WAGGED white.

I'll take it. Seems like another in a series of FJ clues much harder than usual this week.
This is exactly my deconstruction. I figured Orange, red and blue would be a fugly nightmare and therefore the Dutch must have tossed the red.
It shows some great clue construction that they threw us the Dutch flag TOM since the orange hasn't been on the flag for a long time (couldn't figure it out from the Wiki). I think the writers must aim for FJ clues that are 1/3 YKIOYD, and 50/50 TOM-able. Well played, writers.

In re: the twin towers - IMHO if we sanitize anything, the terrorists win. But I'm a wingnut - I also thought we (the taxpayers) should have bought 4 new airplanes for the airlines and let passengers take nail clippers onto airplanes. Must stop now.

I'll take one of those 5 minute bans for Met bashing, just as a dutiful Cardinal fan. Do I get any time off for being an avid Yankee-hater??
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 am I'll take one of those 5 minute bans for Met bashing, just as a dutiful Cardinal fan. Do I get any time off for being an avid Yankee-hater??
All 5 minutes.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:47 pm Dutch flag + Mutts colors, easy FJ.
All this time I thought it was METS. Who knew?

:roll:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:15 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pmThe Knicks and the inferior baseball team's colors? Easy money.
Hey, settle down. It was just meant as a geographical term.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pmThe Knicks and the inferior baseball team's colors? Easy money.
Not from this perspective, it ain't.
Australian Map.jpeg
Australian Map.jpeg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 5304 times
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:35 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 pm
Not from this perspective, it ain't.

Australian Map.jpeg
Hey, you trying to give Opus and his ilk a superiority complex?