Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:34 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:35 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:15 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pmThe Knicks and the inferior baseball team's colors? Easy money.
Inferior?!?!?! You trying to get banned, too?!?
Hey, settle down. It was just meant as a geographical term.
Not from this perspective, it ain't.

Australian Map.jpeg
Hey, you trying to give Opus and his ilk a superiority complex?
I don't have an ilk. I'm sui generis.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:11 pm
I don't have an ilk. I'm sui generis.
Cousin of Ellen, then?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:27 pm
Sean received the benefit of the doubt on his responses for the National Zoo doctor and list of recordings while there was no saving him on calling the actor famous for playing Harold Hill, Prince. It was an easy rebound for Marcy from Iowa.
As someone who can sing (quite badly) every song from the score, I knew Robert Preston sooner than immediately. However, I thought Sean's SWAG of "Prince" was impressive, showed a very quick train of thought, and should be held out as an example of reasoning for TPH in (a) using a TOM to come up with an answer related to the clue, however tenuously, and (b) making that guess regardless of how low the odds are.

The Music Man was loooong time ago, Broadway in the fifties and the movie in ... 1961? ... or so. Ron Howard was about five, so that dates the movie pretty well. Not surprising that someone not around then would miss it, unless they're a fan of Broadway classics.

What was surprising was that Sean thought "Broadway" with the category in mind, and made the slightly brilliant leap to Harold Prince, the Broadway director and producer who may be less known to the general public that Robert Preston!

I thought it was a terrific guess when it was obvious he didn't recognize Preston, and a lesson for TPH -- silence is guaranteed to be incorrect; an answer even slightly related to the category has a minuscule change of being correct, so Sean was absolutely right to take the plunge. And I'm super impressed that Sean came up with Harold Prince. I would have to think for longer than time permitted even if the clue had been about him and his record-setting 21 individual Tony awards.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:37 pm As someone who can sing (quite badly) every song from the score, I knew Robert Preston sooner than immediately. However, I thought Sean's SWAG of "Prince" was impressive, showed a very quick train of thought, and should be held out as an example of reasoning for TPH in (a) using a TOM to come up with an answer related to the clue, however tenuously, and (b) making that guess regardless of how low the odds are.
That was my most annoying clue from the day. I instantly recognized him, but couldn't come up with his name. Harold Hill from the Music Man. I always go to the movie, so I pictured Shirley Jones, and a very young Ron Howard (taking a break from his Opie duties, perhaps?) Also with Julie Andrews in Victor Victoria.

But come up with a name at that instant? Who ... is ... ... Boo boo boop. Nope. Too slow.
--Peter
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:37 pm As someone who can sing (quite badly) every song from the score, I knew Robert Preston sooner than immediately. However, I thought Sean's SWAG of "Prince" was impressive, showed a very quick train of thought, and should be held out as an example of reasoning for TPH in (a) using a TOM to come up with an answer related to the clue, however tenuously, and (b) making that guess regardless of how low the odds are.

The Music Man was loooong time ago, Broadway in the fifties and the movie in ... 1961? ... or so. Ron Howard was about five, so that dates the movie pretty well. Not surprising that someone not around then would miss it, unless they're a fan of Broadway classics.

What was surprising was that Sean thought "Broadway" with the category in mind, and made the slightly brilliant leap to Harold Prince, the Broadway director and producer who may be less known to the general public that Robert Preston!

I thought it was a terrific guess when it was obvious he didn't recognize Preston, and a lesson for TPH -- silence is guaranteed to be incorrect; an answer even slightly related to the category has a minuscule change of being correct, so Sean was absolutely right to take the plunge. And I'm super impressed that Sean came up with Harold Prince. I would have to think for longer than time permitted even if the clue had been about him and his record-setting 21 individual Tony awards.
It's not that great a guess if you realize that "Harold Hill" in the clue satisfied the category's theme, and thereby infer that the response would not be a Harold.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My thought on the "veterinarian" response is that it was a stutter, and what Alex heard as a G was a common elision of the "ter" in that word. See (and listen to) the video in my Twitter post here.
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:03 pm

It's not that great a guess if you realize that "Harold Hill" in the clue satisfied the category's theme, and thereby infer that the response would not be a Harold.
Plus, Harold Prince was never an actor...and it's possible that the Pr...sound in Sean's response jogged something in Marcy's brain that allowed her to pick up the rebound.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Marcy's from Iowa, as has already been pointed out. Let us not speculate that she needed any help to ID Robert Preston on a "Music Man" clue.
She could have her state citizenship revoked or something.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Warren Burger for Earl Warren. And I don't think I realized The Watergate is a hotel. I know so little about that period of American History, but enough to get that LL question right on G. Gordon Liddy. Gotta read that Wikipedia entry tonight

On DD2, I said U. of Florida, Gainsborough :oops:

Got FJ, breaking a 2-day losing streak

Sean was spared the neg on veterinarian, but endured a harsh ribbing from Alex - ouch!

How am I supposed to know what Ulaanbattar means? And why it's pronounced Bator?

Didn't even notice the Twin Towers in that low-res film clip

Another player from NY, NY :|
davey

Post by davey »

squarekara wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:06 pm Marcy's from Iowa, as has already been pointed out. Let us not speculate that she needed any help to ID Robert Preston on a "Music Man" clue.
She could have her state citizenship revoked or something.
Actually, I confess. I ascribed my reaction to her. I used to say Robert Preston was my favorite actor, and yet I blanked on his name for a few seconds. You never know.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 pm How am I supposed to know what Ulaanbattar means? And why it's pronounced Bator?
It used to be spelled Ulan Bator in English, which is a transliteration of the Russian transliteration of the Mongolian. We came to our senses a while back, but Alex is set in his ways.