Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7693, 2018-02-07

CONTESTANTS
John Giambrone, an investment banking analyst from New York, New York
Marcy Lehman, a senior business systems analyst from Marion, Iowa
Sean Udicious, an expeditor from Cherry Hill, New Jersey (whose 2-day cash winnings total $30,799)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. $30,799 and he didn't get a Final Jeopardy! right this week. What will happen today? We have a John and a Sean. That may cause complications. But we have Marcy. That's good. Let's go to work. And now here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SHARK TANK (3/4) (Alex: All of the clues will be delivered by the stars of Shark Tank.)
1968 IN AMERICAN HISTORY (4/5)
VOCABULARY (2/5)
THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY IN POP CULTURE (5/5)
AUTHORS' FICTIONAL PLACES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"SECURITY" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Marcy: 8 R, 2 W
John: 2 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sean found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Sean had $3,200, Marcy had $2,000, and John had a deficit with -$800. Sean wagered $2,000.

AUTHORS' FICTIONAL PLACES $600: Brobdingnag
(Sean: Who is C. S. Lewis?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Marcy: $2,000
Sean: $1,200
John: -$800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: John Giambrone is from New York. He's an investment banking analyst. And after graduating from Yale, you decided to abroad...

John: Yep.

Alex: And travel for a while. Where did you go and for how long?

John: I was away for about four months out of the six after graduating, so I went to Ireland, Greece, Spain, Portugal, New Zealand, Australia, Scotland.

Alex: That's wonderful. Terrific. Okay.

Alex: Marcy Lehman from Marion, Iowa. You and your mother have a bit of a contretemps over how to spell your name?

Marcy: Yes. My full name is longer, but when we shorten my name, my mother spells it one way, and when I learned cursive in the first or second grade, I liked the way it looked with a "Y" better. My mom, to this day, still insists on spelling it with an "I".

Alex: All right. I hope you guys will solve your--

Marcy: I'm pretty sure on national television, it's good now.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Sean Udicious is our champion. Within 24 hours of finding out that you were gonna be on our program, you discovered that you had become...

Sean: An uncle, which was very exciting. Soon after I got the phone call saying that I'd be coming out, I got another phone call from my brother-in-law saying that the baby was gonna be coming. And she came, and it was literally the best 24 hours of my life.

Alex: All right, well, good for you. That's nice.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
1968 IN AMERICAN HISTORY $1000: Ralph Abernathy took over as president of this organization and led the Poor People's March to Washington
(John: What is the NAACP?)

VOCABULARY $400: Carl Sagan defined this word as "the opposite of chaos"
(Marcy: What is order?)
(Alex: The opposite of chaos is [*].)

"SECURITY" $400: FDR sent it to Congress as the Economic Security Bill; Congressman Frank Buck suggested the name change
(John: What is the New Deal?)

AUTHORS' FICTIONAL PLACES $800: The town of Hadleyburg
(Alex: There's a man who corrupted it, according to [*].)

AUTHORS' FICTIONAL PLACES $1000: Calormen--it's south of a more famous land
(Sean: Who is Baum?)
(Alex: Who is [*]. Yeah, you know about him.)

VOCABULARY $1000: Describing a sharp tone, this 6-letter adjective is also a verb meaning "to scream"
(John: What is shriek?)

VOCABULARY $800: Latin medeor, "to heal", gives us this word for a cure
(Marcy: What is medicine?)

SHARK TANK $1000: (Alex: Alright. Damon John has the clue.) Yes, a tracking device for missing socks is unique, but this app needs to be this adjective, meaning protected by patent, copyright, or trademark
(Alex: And that word we're going for is [*].)
[The end-of-round-signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Marcy: $4,600
Sean: $1,600
John: -$2,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEWSPAPERS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE GLOBE (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE WASHINGTON POST (5/5) (Alex: Hey, there's a theme.)
THE SUN (3/3)
THE "DIS"PATCH (5/5)
THE HAROLD (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
Marcy: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Sean: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Sean had $3,200, Marcy had $5,000, and John was at $3,600. John wagered $1,500.

NEWSPAPERS $1200: The independent Florida Alligator is a newspaper aimed at college students in this city

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was John who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Sean had $3,200, Marcy had $5,800, and John was at $7,900. John wagered $1,600.

THE GLOBE $1600: This vast geographic feature is bordered by the Sahel on the south and the Maghreb on the north

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NEWSPAPERS $2000: Follow baseball's Indians in this paper with the highest circulation of any Ohio newspaper

THE GLOBE $1200: Canada's Mackenzie River system traverses 2,635 miles from the Omineca mountains to this ocean
(Alex: It flows in a northerly direction to the [*].)

THE GLOBE $2000: The temple doors are a fitting color in this Asian capital city whose name means "red hero"

THE HAROLD $2000: He composed many classic songs including "Stormy Weather" & "Over The Rainbow"
(Alex: The Harold this time, [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $9,900
Marcy: $9,800
Sean: $3,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FLAG COLORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
John: Wager $9,701 to cover Marcy. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $2,501.
Marcy: Your score is within 4/5ths of John's, so wager between $201 (venusian) and $2,599 (martian), beating John's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Sean's part.
Sean: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Marcy, but if Marcy decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $3,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
They're the 3 colors of New York City's flag & of the Knicks & Mets teams; 2 are on the Dutch flag & 1 used to be

FINAL SCORES
Sean: $3,600 + $1,600 = $5,200 (What are blue, orange, and white?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Marcy: $9,800 - $7,300 = $2,500 (What are yellow, blue and orange?) (3rd place: $1,000)
John: $9,900 + $9,701 = $19,601 (What is blue, white, orange?) (New champion: $19,601)
(Alex: A little difficult for Marcy, she's not from the New York area.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Marcy: $9,800, 16 R, 3 W
John: $9,600, 11 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Sean: $5,600, 17 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $25,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Sean: 18/59 = .305
Marcy: 16/58 = .276
John: 12/60 = .200
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY IN POP CULTURE $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Staten Island Ferry.) When it's split in 2 by the bad guys in the blockbuster "Spiderman: Homecoming", it's up to the teen webslinger and this other superhero to hold the ship together

THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY IN POP CULTURE $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Staten Island Ferry.) The ferry is featured at the start of Working Girl as we see the commute of Tess McGill, a role that made this actress an Oscar nominee

SHARK TANK $400: (Alex: Alright. Here is Robert Herjavec.) If you have a truly great idea, I may just be this "cherubic" kind of investor that's here to make your dreams come true

SHARK TANK $600: (Alex: Here's Kevin O'Leary.) Garlic shampoo smells like it could be a winner with millennials; I think we've captured this German term for the spirit of the time

SHARK TANK $800: (Alex: Laurie Grenier's turn now.) High-heeled swim fins, ingenious! But before I sign the check, let's get into numbers, like what is my ROI, short for this

"SECURITY" $800: If you're a man on death row in Tennessee, you're at the Riverbend this type of institution
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

THE WASHINGTON POST $400: Donald L. Neiffer is the chief one of these doctors at the National Zoo in Washington, D.C.
(Alex: Oh, boy. We're gonna give you some leniency there. It's a [*].)
(Sean: Thank you.)
(Alex: Not with a G in there.)

THE GLOBE $800: The globe's largest peninsula is this one found in the Middle East
(John: What is the Saudi Arabian peninsula?)
(Marcy: What is the [*]?)
(Alex: Yes, there are other countries on that peninsula.)

THE "DIS"PATCH $400: Along with platform shoes, this was big in the 70s

THE "DIS"PATCH $2000: It's the "dis" word in ADA, a law passed in 1990 prohibiting discrimination
(Sean: What is disability?)
(Marcy: What is disabled?)
(John: What is [*]?)
(Alex: Yes. Americans with [*] Act. That's the ADA. It helped you, John.)

THE HAROLD $800: He teamed with Bill Murray in "Stripes", "Ghostbusters" & "Groundhog Day"
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

THE HAROLD $1600: In 1987, we said "Goodnight, My Someone" to this actor, known for playing Harold Hill in "The Music Man"
(Sean: Who is Prince?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jonathan Swift
Southern Christian Leadership Conference
cosmos
Social Security Act
Mark Twain
C. S. Lewis
shrill
remedy
proprietary
Gainesville
Sahara Desert
Cleveland Plain Dealer
Arctic Ocean
Ulaanbaatar
Harold Arlen
blue, white, and orange
Iron Man
Melanie Griffith
angel investor
zeitgeist
return on investment
maximum-security prison
veterinarian
Arabian Peninsula
disco ball
Disabilities
Harold Ramis
(Robert) Preston
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FLAG COLORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
They’re the 3 colors of New York City’s flag & of the Knicks & Mets teams; 2 are on the Dutch flag & 1 used to be

Sean Udicious: 3600+1600=5200
Marcy Lehman: 9800-7300=2500
John Giambrone: 9900+9701=19601 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
blue, white & orange (Marcy – yellow, blue and orange)

Daily Doubles
Sean: 3200-2000
John: 3600+1500
John: 7900+1600

Coryats
Sean: 5600
Marcy: 9800
John: 9600

Combined: 25,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Sean: 1600
Marcy: 4600
John: minus 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

SHARK TANK used Robert, Kevin, Lori and Daymond with Mark mentioned in the J!6. I guess that leaves Barbara unseen in the $200 clue that was not played and a case of a video category not completed. STATEN ISLAND had a couple of Clue Crew clues, so this was bound to not be a 61-clue game.

Sean received the benefit of the doubt on his responses for the National Zoo doctor and list of recordings while there was no saving him on calling the actor famous for playing Harold Hill, Prince. It was an easy rebound for Marcy from Iowa. That same category, THE HAROLD wanted the composer of “Over the Rainbow” & “Stormy Weather” and I called the triple stumper as I picked up the trash.

Alex set up John for the win with his remarks to open the DJ! Round: It looks like a tough road for (at minus 2000) John.

The FJ! clue gave me a way to work around my West Coast deficiency for things NY/NYC and colors on flags by offering a sports path. Mets & Knicks? Yes, I’ve seen their uniforms more than once. For the Dutch flag portion I pictured the team in the World Cup (Well, when they qualify – Zing!) and everything checked out to have the right three colors.

If the FJ! clue had shown the NYC flag and asked me to identify it that would have greatly increased the difficulty while it’s possible I could have got lucky on it.

John did not have a great opening to his game while closing with 3/3 on the big clues is what matters.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Glad I caught the significance of "Dutch" before the 30 seconds were up.
Spoiler
Dutch ---> Orange
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,800
41 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Jonathan Swift (DD), Social Security Act, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Arctic Ocean

Great comeback by John. That Washington Pot category really seemed to wake him up and give him confidence. Good run, Sean. Hope you'll stick around.

Pretty elementary FJ! for us sports fans.

Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

When Sean misses FJ, he wins. When he gets FJ, he loses. Odd correlation.

I got orange from the Dutch, blue from the Mets, and picked white as a neutral color to fill them out. (Most sports teams have a pale/neutral color for the home or away jerseys, depending on the sport.)
Last edited by tiwonge on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

The particular shows for a week are randomized by Standards and Practices (an independent third party) on the morning of the tape day, without regard to what contestants appear on which particular show.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Her wager prevented her from winning, even if she did put down the correct answer.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From the Managment: PanthersFan1's post has been removed because of its abusive nature. They have been banned for a month. I have edited the posts that quoted him or her to remove those comments.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew orange and blue but put red for the third color for some reason.

Sean should have been negged for however he pronounced veternarian.

Marcy should have headed to the bottom of the sun category with time running out, She only got to three clues and was still $100 out of first.

I didn't see whatever was posted, but thanks to the boss for cleaning it up.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Coryat: $30,000

DD: 3/3

FJ: :mrgreen:

Tricky on the vocab category: It would be easy to say "order" for Sagan's description of the opposite of chaos ("Cosmos" seems almost too obvious), and "medicine," Marcy's response for a word meaning a cure from the latin "medeor," is entirely understandable.

Good game and a nice comeback by John.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

The mods are a pretty mellow bunch so I can't imagine what was said to earn an instant month ban...yikes.

I need to hear a clip of him saying 'veterinarian' because that seemed pretty damn generous.
Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:23 pm Marcy should have headed to the bottom of the sun category with time running out, She only got to three clues and was still $100 out of first.
I spent the entire last minute of that round screaming at the TV. When she came up $100 short of the lead I just shook my head. I also wnted to see some larger DD wagers, so this wasn't a banner day for me :lol:

Instaget FJ...but this is the part where I admit that while I'm sure I've seen NYC's flag literally thousands of times on buildings, in news stories, etc., I could not have told you its colors. The Knicks and the inferior baseball team's colors? Easy money. The poll question practically writes itself ("The teams colors were more helpful..."). I wonder if dhk's knowledge of flags extends to cities...

...OK not really. Would the team colors have been helpful to you at all?
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Wow, so much TOM in that FJ and I could still do no better than a wild guess. Had blue and then re-reread the clue to confirm that I needed all three colors and threw in the towel.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Fascinating FJ in that there were so many potential paths to the answer (Dutch flag, New York flag, Knicks, Mets). I took the Knicks path myself.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Sean gets questionable thumbs ups from the judges on "veterinarian" and "discography". I thought they were also going to allow "disability". :roll:
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

NYC: AKA "New Amsterdam"... Dutch... House of ORANGE. :geek:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Is it just me, or is it possible that John has a brother named James who has appeared on The Chase and 500
Questions? He sure looks and smiles the same way.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

Odd that the “coverts” (instead of “converts”) typo slipped through; I can’t remember the last time I saw a misspelling in a clue.

Also, I would assume that they were more lenient on pronunciation considering the “actuarially” struggles from Monday.