Thursday, February 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7694, 2018-02-08

CONTESTANTS
Alex Hotovy, a student from Omaha, Nebraska
Marty Cunningham, an accountant and voice artist from Arvada, Colorado
John Giambrone, an investment banking analyst from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $19,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Yesterday, John Giambrone gave us the perfect example of why it's very important to not get discouraged on Jeopardy! if you're a contestant. He was $2,000 in the red and wound up winning big. Marty and Alex, same thing could happen to you. Or not. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round today features these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE GRAMMY PHONE (5/5)
WHAT A CROWD! (5/5)
THE RULES OF THE GAME (4/5)
BEASTLY STATE FLAGS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANAGRAMMED WIVES OF HENRY VIII (3/4)
PRIME "TIME" (1/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Marty: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Alex: 7 R, 3 W
John: 5 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marty found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. John had no money, Marty had $1,800, and Alex was at $1,200. Marty made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

BEASTLY STATE FLAGS $600: This creature shows up in the center of North Dakota's flag & on 9 other state flags
(Marty: It's early enough in the game, and I'll never get to say this again: let's make it a true Daily Double.)
(Alex Trebek: Symbol of America.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Marty: $5,400
Alex: $1,200
John: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex Trebek: Alex Hotovy is a student from Omaha, Nebraska. About a year ago, I recall seeing a commercial on television featuring Snoop Dogg. And it was kind of interesting the way they handled it. You ran into Snoop Dogg. You had an encounter with him.

Alex Hotovy: I did. I was flying back from Florida. I was visiting my brother, and I had a long layover in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. So I'm flying to Omaha through Chicago, get off the plane, and there's one of the celebrity trams going through, and I hear beeping. I'm not really paying attention, but I look up, and Snoop Dogg is right there. Right in front of me. And usually, I'm pretty quiet, very placated when I travel, but I see him and I make eye contact, and I say, "What's up?" And I give him a little nod. And he looks back at me, makes direct eye contact, and just gives me a little head nod back. There's no verbal communication, but he looked at me, so I'll take it.

Alex Trebek: He liked you.

Alex Hotovy: Yes.

Alex: Marty Cunningham from Arvada, Colorado. Is it true you and your son get together and re-enact scenes from movies?

Marty: It started when he first saw The Lion King. He started memorizing dialogue and memorizing things, so we started doing the Timon and Pumbaa scenes. And I played Pumbaa, of course. He did Timon, and he started imitating a lot of the voices and doing very well with it.

Alex: Okay, so you like animated films?

Marty: He just likes repeating things and mimicking things.

Alex: Oh, all right. Good.

Alex: John Giambrone from New York is an investment banking analyst. You would think that's a pretty good job to have. And yet you sell your clothes and your books online?

John: That's right. So not mine, but--

Alex: Not yours?

John: No, no, no. So, I mean, sometimes.

Alex: Stuff you steal?

John: No. There's some great thrift shops and a lot of charities in New York that run thrift shops, so often times I go and find the best stuff they got, and try to sell it online for a higher price.

Alex: You are sharp.

John: I try.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PRIME "TIME" $400: Back in 1856 a newspaper first described the game of baseball with this 2-word phrase
(John: What is America's pastime?)
(Alex Trebek: What is the [*]? Simple mistake.)

PRIME "TIME" $600: This monthly series of movie newsreels ran from 1935 to 1951

PRIME "TIME" $800: For foxtrot music it's 4/4

PRIME "TIME" $1000: 1988 bestseller that was followed by the same author's "The Universe in a Nutshell"
(Alex Trebek: And that was [*] by Stephen Hawking.)

THE RULES OF THE GAME $400: You win if you pocket the 8-ball on this first shot of the game
(Alex Hotovy: What is pool?)
(Alex Trebek: No.)
(Alex Hotovy: 8-ball pool?)
(Alex Trebek: No. Marty?)
(Marty: What is billiards?)
(Alex Trebek: On the first shot, which is [*].)

ANAGRAMMED WIVES OF HENRY VIII $600: Born far away: OATH ENFORCER AGAIN
(Alex Trebek: It was his first wife, [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Marty: $7,200
Alex: $2,200
John: $1,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE GRAMMA PHONE (3/4) (Alex Trebek: It's not the Grammy Phone, it's...)
LITERARY AWARDS (4/5)
FIRST NAME VERBS (3/5)
ERA OR AGE. PERIOD. (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIE vs. MOVIE (5/5)
A WIEN-WIEN SITUATION (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: I don't know how to pronounce this. Is it...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Marty: 11 R (including 3 rebounds), 0 W
Alex: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
John: 4 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alex snagged the next Daily Double on the 17th clue. John had $200, Marty had $15,200, and Alex was at $6,600. Alex wagered $2,000.

ERA OR AGE. PERIOD. $1600: "The Country Wife" is one of the bawdy plays named for this era when the English monarchy returned

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was John who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. John had $600, Marty had $17,200, and Alex was at $8,600. John made it a True Daily Double, wagering $600.

A WIEN-WIEN SITUATION $800: The Imperial Chapel is a great place to catch this "young" group of singers founded by Maximilian I in 1498
(John: What's the chorus?)
(Alex Trebek: [*]. You had to remember the category.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FIRST NAME VERBS $1600: To touch all the bags in baseball

FIRST NAME VERBS $2000: To throw something, or to strike gently under the chin
(Alex Trebek: The verb this time is [*].)

A WIEN-WIEN SITUATION $1200: The Tower of Babel is part of the Kunsthistorisches Museum's great collection of this Flemish painter, the Elder
(John: Who is Pliny?)

LITERARY AWARDS $2000: Awarded by Yale, this poetry prize was established by an admirer of Carl Jung, who named it for Jung's home in Switzerland

THE GRAMMA PHONE $1600: In flip or smart version, Gramma wants this phone aimed at seniors & named for a long-ago dance

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Marty: $20,400
Alex: $10,600
John: $800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
UNIVERSITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Evenly spaced scores with first crushing second.
Marty: Wager $800--wagering any more risks falling behind Alex's wager of $9,000.
Alex: Wager all $10,600.
John: Wager $0.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Famed for its health care system & medical school, it also sold 15 acres for $10 in 1947 to build CDC headquarters

FINAL SCORES
John: $800 + $799 = $1,599 (What is Emory?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Alex: $10,600 - $10,000 = $600 (What is Georgia?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Marty: $20,400 - $1,500 = $18,900 (What is University of Georgia?) (New champion: $18,900)
(Alex Trebek: In a moment I believe John is going to be very, very sad.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Marty: $19,200, 22 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Alex: $10,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
John: $1,400, 9 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $30,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Marty: 22/59 = .373
Alex: 15/59 = .254
John: 10/59 = .169
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BEASTLY STATE FLAGS $400: Kansas' state flag features horses, oxen & some of these native bovines
(Alex Hotovy: What are cows?)

BEASTLY STATE FLAGS $800: This state's distinctive beastly flag is seen here

WHAT A CROWD! $200: In November of 2016, a reported five million people gathered in this city to celebrate a recent championship

WHAT A CROWD! $400: 30 million people in one day crowded this Indian river to celebrate the 2013 Kumbh Mela festival
(Alex Trebek: With less than a minute.)

WHAT A CROWD! $600: Tens of millions from this branch of Islam make a yearly pilgrimage to Karbala to the Mosque of Imam Hussein
(Alex Hotovy: What is the Sunni branch?)

WHAT A CROWD! $800: Around six million attended the concluding mass Pope Francis held in this very Catholic Asian country
(John: What is Korea?)

WHAT A CROWD! $1000: In 1970, five million mourners crowded near Ramses Square for the funeral procession of this Middle East leader
(Marty: Who was Sadat?)

FIRST NAME VERBS $800: To move up & down as if in a boxing ring
(John: Jack?)
(Alex Trebek: [*]. [*] up and down.)

LITERARY AWARDS $800: In 1938 "Animals of the Bible" by Dorothy P. Lathrop became the first picture book to win this medal
(Alex Hotovy: What is the Newberry Medal?)

THE GRAMMA PHONE $1200: The Eyereader app turns the phone into this device, making print easier to read
(Alex Trebek: With less than a minute.)

A WIEN-WIEN SITUATION $2000: A great sight in Vienna is the cathedral of this saint, the first Christian martyr

A WIEN-WIEN SITUATION $1600: Most Viennese streetcar lines will take you into the Wienerwald, these, for a little hiking, ja?
(John: What are the hills?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
(bald) eagle
national pastime
The March of Time
time signature
A Brief History of Time
the break
Catherine of Aragon
the Restoration
the Vienna Boys' Choir
(to) Homer
Chuck
Pieter Bruegel the Elder
the Bollingen
Jitterbug
Emory University
bison (buffalo)
Louisiana
Chicago
the Ganges
the Shia branch
the Philippines
(Gamal Abdel) Nasser
Bob
the Caldecott
magnifying glass
St. Stephen
the Vienna Woods
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
UNIVERSITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Famed for its health care system & medical school, it also sold 15 acres for $10 in 1947 to build CDC headquarters

John Giambrone: 800+799=1599
Marty Cunningham: 20400-1500=18900 (New Champ)
Alex Hotovy: 10600-10000=600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Emory (Marty – University of Georgia) (Alex – Georgia)

Daily Doubles
Marty: 1800+1800
Alex: 6600+2000
John: 600-600

Coryats
John: 1400
Marty: 19200
Alex: 10200

Combined: 30,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
John: 1000
Marty: 7200
Alex: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The category BEASTLY STATE FLAGS made laugh as by coincidence last night I laid out my shirt to wear today and it has all of the state flags on it. I played without looking down and cheating and got 4/5 right.

THE RULES OF THE GAME $400: You win if you pocket the 8-ball on this first shot of the game

Pool/8-ball pool & billiards did not cut it. The clue’s wording would have needed a switch of “the” & “this” to make it work. The writers could also have added “In pool” or “In billiards” to open the clue to avoid the double miss. John could have rung in with 9-ball to make it three backward steps.

Trebek after the music ended in the FJ! round: In a moment I believe John is going to be very, very sad.
To me that immediately told the story of the whole round before a response was shown. John would be right, his opponents wrong, so Marty wins. My preference is to see the responses and results one at a time.

Thanks to The Walking Dead I knew CDC = Atlanta. From there it was a guess a GA university. I joined the Michael J. Fox famous characters contestants Marty & Alex with U. of Georgia.

During Think Time I considered U. of Georgia, Georgia State, Georgia Tech, and Emory, while also knowing that one (not that I had a clue which one) of those places was in Athens. In my simpleton mind I considered just knowing the city (it’s not Washington, D.C.) for the CDC the trick of the clue and stayed at the level one response of Georgia instead of going up one more level of difficulty. Brilliant on my part picking the one of the four that is not in Atlanta.

Yup, college towns are no strength of mine. Atlantan (or is it Atlantian?), StevenH should (or darn well better) have more luck with the clue.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Lived across the street from the CDC while the wife was attending this university. Lots of ambulance noise, not that I minded.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

CDC = Atlanta. Atlanta med school = Emory. Took a second to make sure I wasn't missing something, but overall fairly straightforward.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I went "med school near DC = Johns Hopkins" for about 5 seconds before remembering CDC = Atlanta and switching to Emory.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Well, at least John picked up an extra grand after weathering Alex's "very, very sad" remark. And sadly, I could only come up with U of Georgia or Georgia Tech for FJ.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

As the proud parent of an Emory grad, this was a gimme for me. She has both her undergrad and graduate degrees from there, including a Masters of Public Health. And now she works for the CDC.

She pretty much describes this FJ clue.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:03 pm I went "med school near DC = Johns Hopkins" for about 5 seconds before remembering CDC = Atlanta and switching to Emory.
Johns Hopkins was my initial thought; however, my wife immediately blurted out Emory, so I never had a chance to reconsider.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wrong Atlanta school for me. I went with GA Tech.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Alex sure knows how to kick a guy when he's down. Ouch. The standard, "Today just wasn't John's day" would have sufficed!

That said, about Pliny the Elder being a famous Flemish painter ... :shock:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Grammy Phone category, got all but the newsreel one in "Time".

Surprisingly, I was also 4/4 on the Henry VIII category.

How were we supposed to know Sweden in that Book category for $400? I saw nothing whatsoever pointing to Sweden.

Can't say I've heard of Freddy vs. Jason. Scott Pilgrim was my only get in this category, and the only one of those five that I've seen.

Could only come up with "Mayo Clinic" which isn't a university. None of the words in this clue led me anywhere. Can't say I recognize Emory at all.

Lach Trash: National pastime, time signature, A Brief History of Time, Catherine of Aragon, Jitterbug
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yep, instant get FJ.
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:35 pm How were we supposed to know Sweden in that Book category for $400? I saw nothing whatsoever pointing to Sweden.
Nobel was Swedish, and all except the peace prize are selected by Sweden-based entities. Not a solid, but enough to get there with high probability.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It took me a bit to wade through the wording of the clue, but I got to Emory in plenty of time. I was surprised nobody went with Georgia Tech. While it is known more for engineering, it is more of a "brainy" school than UGA. Not to mention it is actually in Atlanta.

I agree the pool clue could have been better worded.

John wasn't too sad as he picked up and extra $1,000 thanks to Alex overwagering. Marty's MSBIW was $19,599 so Alex could have bet just $9,000 to get a win if he gets it right.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Latched onto Johns Hopkins halfway through the clue and spent the next 28 seconds wondering if I was misplacing any "s" in my response. It was nagging at me that the CDC was headquartered somewhere down south but I rationalized it away by "Heck, maybe they had some land down there they wanted to unload". Never knew that Emory was "famed" for its health care system and medical school. Is "famed" too strong of word here or am I just ignorant of their reputation?

So John buys stuff cheap at thrift shops and sells them for a profit online? That rubs me the wrong way a little bit.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

41 R
DD: 1/3 (Restoration)
FJ: :(
LT: Time Signature, A Brief History of Time, Break, Catherine of Aragon, **Catherine Parr**, Pieter Bruegel, Jitterbug

Other of my gets include Gamal Abdel Nasser and St. Stephen.
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:05 pm
So John buys stuff cheap at thrift shops and sells them for a profit online? That rubs me the wrong way a little bit.
The thrift store gets stuff for free and sells them for a profit.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:35 pm Could only come up with "Mayo Clinic" which isn't a university.
That's not a bad guess! It's certainly better than nothing.