Adult tests March 6,7,8, teen test March 15

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bbird
Valued Contributor

Re: Adult tests March 6,7,8, teen test March 15

Post by bbird »

Sorry to disappoint, but being just a few miles down the interstate, I picked Cleveland too. :mrgreen: The test days are a bad week for me, but I'm going to make the 11 p.m. (ET) time slot work somehow.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I went with St. Louis.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

Finally signed up, and they did not give me a city at first...I had to click "edit" on my test registration, and that did the trick. Hope to see you in St. Louis (a long drive for me, but better than Detroit, and nowhere near as bad as it would be for a certain Winnipeg resident...) :mrgreen:
flytrap
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by flytrap »

I did not see an option for picking a city, and my profile already has my zipcode. The reply seemed to refer to the online test, yet I thought the dates were March 6, 7 and 8 :
Thank you for registering to take the Jeopardy! Online Test. You're now one step closer to standing onstage with Alex Trebek.

We do not currently have a date for the test, but we will let you know as soon as one is announced. But it is never too early to start preparing!
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

Just registered, audition city Detroit. Hopefully I've learned something slumming around this board the last couple years.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

IIRC when I auditioned the only choice in my time zone was Atlanta. That was an interesting drive from Virginia.

I wonder if I can just sign up and take the test again for fun. Would I risk bumping someone from a legitimate audition slot? I hope not.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 pm IIRC when I auditioned the only choice in my time zone was Atlanta. That was an interesting drive from Virginia.

I wonder if I can just sign up and take the test again for fun. Would I risk bumping someone from a legitimate audition slot? I hope not.
The first question it asks you is if you've ever been on the show before so presumably you wouldn't do this, in the event they even let you take the test.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 pm IIRC when I auditioned the only choice in my time zone was Atlanta. That was an interesting drive from Virginia.

I always do it for all 3 off the video that the show releases publicly afterwards. (Or on Youtube in the era before.) Since I keep it on a spreadsheet on my desktop it's easy enough to score.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Make sure you all sign up for the easiest of the 3 tests.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

flytrap wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 pm Thank you for registering to take the Jeopardy! Online Test. You're now one step closer to standing onstage with Alex Trebek.

We do not currently have a date for the test, but we will let you know as soon as one is announced. But it is never too early to start preparing!
I received the same email, which I found confusing, but when I log in and view my profile, it shows I'm registered for the March 6/7/8 online test. By clicking the edit button, I was able to select a city.
earendel

Post by earendel »

flytrap wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 pm I did not see an option for picking a city, and my profile already has my zipcode. The reply seemed to refer to the online test, yet I thought the dates were March 6, 7 and 8 :
Thank you for registering to take the Jeopardy! Online Test. You're now one step closer to standing onstage with Alex Trebek.

I got the same email, and when I went to view my profile I didn't see an "Edit" button. Then I logged out and back in again and the "Edit" button was there, allowing me to pick a city.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 pm I wonder if I can just sign up and take the test again for fun. Would I risk bumping someone from a legitimate audition slot? I hope not.
Answer "yes" to the "has been on Jeopardy" and you won't be considered for an audition.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

squarekara wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:08 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:56 pm
squarekara wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 pm So, my husband went to the J! site to check on his info, etc., and he did not find our major metropolitan area listed among the audition cities. Bummer, since I know they've been here multiple times in the last year. Looks like it'll be a day's drive if he's lucky enough to get an audition.
Where did you see audition cities?
Yeah, they're listed, as David points out, somewhere as you verify your contact information with the site. No Chicago this time.
My audition a year ago was held during a particularly bad snowpocalypse. They probably thought, forget that! Lets do Honolulu!
Yes, but.....

Writing the test in March means auditions in late spring at the earliest, so the chances of snowpocalypse are greatly reduced.

Also, time of year doesn't mean the weather won't be bad. I did my first audition in Toronto the day after a major thunderstorm flooded half the city and brought most of the transit system to a standstill.

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/20 ... pardy.html
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

boson wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:48 pm Cleveland and Detroit are about a 2 hour drive apart... weird to have auditions at both. They are both about the same distance from me. I think I'll pick Cleveland since I've never been there.
Detroit was the day before my Toronto audition in 2013 - then again, that is about 4.5 hours apart not counting the wait at the border.
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 pm I wonder if I can just sign up and take the test again for fun. Would I risk bumping someone from a legitimate audition slot? I hope not.
Yes! Liz Fritz wrote the test for "fun" the same night I wrote the 2016 one.

I know I bombed it and I felt way better when she said on Twitter that she was glad that wasn't the test she wrote that got her on the show because it was "brutal".

:lol:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 pm Make sure you all sign up for the easiest of the 3 tests.
100 quatloos if you can tell me for guaranteed-certain which one that will be....
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

boson wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:48 pm Cleveland and Detroit are about a 2 hour drive apart... weird to have auditions at both. They are both about the same distance from me. I think I'll pick Cleveland since I've never been there.
...if you're driving what, the Batmobile? Downtown to downtown is about 180 miles, and goes right past at least one highway patrol station, just in case you're planning to make that trip.

PS I'll be signing up and opting for the Cleveland audition, so I hope to see you there (assuming you aren't in custody somewhere in the back of a highway patrol car). :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

John Boy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 am
...if you're driving what, the Batmobile? Downtown to downtown is about 180 miles, and goes right past at least one highway patrol station, just in case you're planning to make that trip.
I thought that sounded nuts, too, and had to look it up. He's not too far off ... Google says 2 hours and 40 minutes.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

John Boy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 am ...if you're driving what, the Batmobile? Downtown to downtown is about 180 miles, and goes right past at least one highway patrol station, just in case you're planning to make that trip.

PS I'll be signing up and opting for the Cleveland audition, so I hope to see you there (assuming you aren't in custody somewhere in the back of a highway patrol car). :D
Cue up the quote machine from Cannonball Run: "Think of the fact that there is not one state in the 50...that has the death penalty for speeding. Although I'm not sure about Ohio."

My wife used to make multiple business trips from our home in Detroit's western suburbs to Strongsville, Ohio, a southern suburb of Cleveland. She said it took two and a half hours. (According to Google Maps, it's 2 hours, 33 minutes). It took her less time to drive than it took to fly (when you factor in driving to the airport, checking in, going through security, etc.), and she got reimbursed for mileage. She owned a Mazda Miata. When the weather was nice, she drove with the top down; and she said that was cheaper and more effective than any known form of therapy.

Edited to add: I chose Detroit as my audition city.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 pm
John Boy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 am
I thought that sounded nuts, too, and had to look it up. He's not too far off ... Google says 2 hours and 40 minutes.
Ok, I underestimated by 40 minutes - I had a quick glance at a map, but I think I've only ever driven this approximate drive once.

If you consider the size of the country (and, selfishly, continent), having two auditions that close to each other without a huge population density means likely sparser coverage, and longer travel times, elsewhere.