Adult tests March 6,7,8, teen test March 15

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Adult tests March 6,7,8, teen test March 15

Post by squarekara »

rouquinne wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:32 am
squarekara wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:08 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:56 pm
squarekara wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 pm So, my husband went to the J! site to check on his info, etc., and he did not find our major metropolitan area listed among the audition cities. Bummer, since I know they've been here multiple times in the last year. Looks like it'll be a day's drive if he's lucky enough to get an audition.
Where did you see audition cities?
Yeah, they're listed, as David points out, somewhere as you verify your contact information with the site. No Chicago this time.
My audition a year ago was held during a particularly bad snowpocalypse. They probably thought, forget that! Lets do Honolulu!
Yes, but.....

Writing the test in March means auditions in late spring at the earliest, so the chances of snowpocalypse are greatly reduced.

Also, time of year doesn't mean the weather won't be bad. I did my first audition in Toronto the day after a major thunderstorm flooded half the city and brought most of the transit system to a standstill.

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/20 ... pardy.html
I LOVE rouquinne's blog entry as it brings back the memories of my snowpocalypse audition! It's usually just a 20-minute drive into downtown Chicago for us, but there were massive delays that morning. We had to take the unplowed side streets and crank up some pedal-to-the-metal classic rock in order to make any headway. I jumped out onto the curb just as the church bells across Michigan Avenue tolled the 10:00 am start time, and I skidded through the slush towards the venue. Another frantic local J! wannabe rode the elevator with me, and we both prayed that they'd grant a grace period on the morning of such a hellish commute. We squeaked into the audition just as they were closing the doors. No grace period at all. THEY ARE SUPER-SERIOUS ABOUT STARTING ON TIME. My husband came up to the audition area to wait for me after he had parked the car, and he can confirm that LATECOMERS WERE TURNED AWAY. My local cohort and I were panting like maniacs while everyone else calmly chatted over juice and coffee, and we realized that these cool customers had come in from out-of-state and had stayed overnight downtown. So, however you get there, plan to arrive early! (Actually, the mania might've worked in my favor at the audition, but nothing works if you can't get through the door!)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 pm She owned a Mazda Miata. When the weather was nice, she drove with the top down; and she said that was cheaper and more effective than any known form of therapy.
I could not agree more regarding this therapy, I will be so tempted to use this therapy over the next couple of days...

I have an NC PRHT Club...which one did she have?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

John Boy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 pm Make sure you all sign up for the easiest of the 3 tests.
100 quatloos if you can tell me for guaranteed-certain which one that will be....
That's easy. It's not the one you signed up to take. :D
--Peter
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 pm IIRC when I auditioned the only choice in my time zone was Atlanta. That was an interesting drive from Virginia.
When I moved cross-country in 1980, my second (or maybe third) day out I drove from Williamsburg, VA to Atlanta. IIRC, about 600 miles. Long day.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:28 pm
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 pm IIRC when I auditioned the only choice in my time zone was Atlanta. That was an interesting drive from Virginia.
When I moved cross-country in 1980, my second (or maybe third) day out I drove from Williamsburg, VA to Atlanta. IIRC, about 600 miles. Long day.
Slacker. :mrgreen: In '81 my friend and I drove an Olds Delta 88 laden with the biggest U-Haul trailer you could hitch to a 2-axle vehicle and drove I-80 from SF to NYC in 72 hours, never exceeding 55 (cos we couldn't :lol: ) and stopping twice, once on the Bonneville Salt Flats in UT and again in N Ohio (because it was pouring so hard that the wipers couldn't keep the windshield clear). Ah, to be young and foolish again... :lol:
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm
RandyG wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:28 pm
Slacker. :mrgreen: In '81 my friend and I drove an Olds Delta 88 laden with the biggest U-Haul trailer you could hitch to a 2-axle vehicle and drove I-80 from SF to NYC in 72 hours, never exceeding 55 (cos we couldn't :lol: ) and stopping twice, once on the Bonneville Salt Flats in UT and again in N Ohio (because it was pouring so hard that the wipers couldn't keep the windshield clear). Ah, to be young and foolish again... :lol:
killer gas mileage only having to stop twice...
Woof

Post by Woof »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:13 pm
killer gas mileage only having to stop twice...
Think of in-air refueling of planes :mrgreen:
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:34 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 pm She owned a Mazda Miata. When the weather was nice, she drove with the top down; and she said that was cheaper and more effective than any known form of therapy.
I could not agree more regarding this therapy, I will be so tempted to use this therapy over the next couple of days...

I have an NC PRHT Club...which one did she have?
She bought a standard 1991 version, second year of production. It was white (they only came in three colors that year). The total cost was on the order of $18K ($33K in today's money).
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

squarekara wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:23 pm I LOVE rouquinne's blog entry as it brings back the memories of my snowpocalypse audition! It's usually just a 20-minute drive into downtown Chicago for us, but there were massive delays that morning. We had to take the unplowed side streets and crank up some pedal-to-the-metal classic rock in order to make any headway. I jumped out onto the curb just as the church bells across Michigan Avenue tolled the 10:00 am start time, and I skidded through the slush towards the venue. Another frantic local J! wannabe rode the elevator with me, and we both prayed that they'd grant a grace period on the morning of such a hellish commute. We squeaked into the audition just as they were closing the doors. No grace period at all. THEY ARE SUPER-SERIOUS ABOUT STARTING ON TIME. My husband came up to the audition area to wait for me after he had parked the car, and he can confirm that LATECOMERS WERE TURNED AWAY. My local cohort and I were panting like maniacs while everyone else calmly chatted over juice and coffee, and we realized that these cool customers had come in from out-of-state and had stayed overnight downtown. So, however you get there, plan to arrive early! (Actually, the mania might've worked in my favor at the audition, but nothing works if you can't get through the door!)
The things we'll do to get on the show! :lol:

(And thank you!)
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

I live in Salt Lake City now, so while it would be nice to have at least gone to Denver, I just said Portland because I hadn't been to Oregon before despite knowing people in LA.

Looking forward to trying this test out again this year!
nklotz

Post by nklotz »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 pm I'm wondering if I should choose Cleveland, Detroit, or St. Louis. They all take 4-5 hours to get to.
Same. And they're all equally depressing. Can't believe they eliminated both Chicago and Twin Cities.

Update: Flights to Cleveland are only $49. Cleveland it is.
Last edited by nklotz on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

There are Krispy Kreme stores in the STL area. I think my husband would factor that in.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:56 pm I think they're just messing with me now, the cities are getting even FURTHER away!

For those (like me) who registered when there was no city, you can add one now. Your categories choices are:
  • Atlanta
  • Cleveland
  • Detroit
  • Honolulu
  • Los Angeles
  • New Orleans
  • New York
  • Philadelphia
  • Portland
  • St. Louis
  • San Francisco
  • Memphis
If you live in Winnipeg, just throw a dart, one is as good as another.

(And, also, which Portland? I'm assuming Portland, OR, but Portland, ME is a not-insignificant city. I might choose that one (Portland, OR) as I've been there before, I know people in the area, and it's my favourite American city I've been to. (Before you wonder why I didn't say where you live, keep in mind there's a very strong chance I haven't been to where you live.) I will have to consult with mrs. dhkendall first though to see where she'd like to go.)

I scored an audition in Charleston in October 2016 and since then I've only seen one person from my tryout on the show. It's frustrating!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

John Boy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 pm Make sure you all sign up for the easiest of the 3 tests.
100 quatloos if you can tell me for guaranteed-certain which one that will be....
Hmm. I'd avoid "lucky" March 7 at all costs. Go for the last test day ;)
Hypn0tiC
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Hypn0tiC »

How should I study for the teen test since the topics aren't as extreme?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Hypn0tiC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:15 am How should I study for the teen test since the topics aren't as extreme?
They seem to pull lots of questions from basic school subjects, so brush up on some of the big names and events from US and World History, Science, and Literature, and elements of grammar, etc. Ask your Language Arts teacher or librarian for your school's recommended fiction for young adults. If there are titles you don't recognize, get familiar with author and characters. Scan your textbooks, and read ahead! Other than that, just be aware of current trends in music, movies, TV, and video games that are targeted to teens, whether or not you're a fan. Were there any viral videos or online "challenges" this year? If you can get your friends to register for the test, you can help each other make study lists. Oh, yes--do not eat Tide Pods, even in the name of research.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

My 18 months expired last week. Nothing within driving distance, but maybe I'll do the 1.5 hour flight to New Orleans or St Louis. Apparently the 3rd time was not the charm, but the 4th time could be...
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

lisa0012 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:34 pm My 18 months expired last week. Nothing within driving distance, but maybe I'll do the 1.5 hour flight to New Orleans or St Louis. Apparently the 3rd time was not the charm, but the 4th time could be...
I repeated the online qualifying exam two weeks after my 18 months expired, got "the call" about two weeks after that without a second audition. I don't know if the 18-month eligibility period is flexible or if the second online test had anything to do with it, but I think you'll absolutely want to take the online test regardless of audition cities offered, just in case.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:28 pm
lisa0012 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:34 pm My 18 months expired last week. Nothing within driving distance, but maybe I'll do the 1.5 hour flight to New Orleans or St Louis. Apparently the 3rd time was not the charm, but the 4th time could be...
I repeated the online qualifying exam two weeks after my 18 months expired, got "the call" about two weeks after that without a second audition. I don't know if the 18-month eligibility period is flexible or if the second online test had anything to do with it, but I think you'll absolutely want to take the online test regardless of audition cities offered, just in case.
We've seen a few people on here mention they thought their time expired when they managed to get the call. I would guess it is somehow flexible as I doubt that many people miscounted the 18 month time period.

Although, now I have to ask, when does the 18 month clock start--at the time of the test or the time of an audition? Time of audition would make more sense, but I'm not sure anyone ever said they were told specifically.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:48 am Although, now I have to ask, when does the 18 month clock start--at the time of the test or the time of an audition? Time of audition would make more sense, but I'm not sure anyone ever said they were told specifically.
They told us starting from the day of the audition.

My audition was in July, so I'm skipping this online test and taking the next one, whenever it is. I wash out of the pool in January, so it will most likely be >18 months

I've been quite discouraged about not getting the call, but now I'm somewhat heartened by the tales of all those called at the end of their pool swim