Monday, February 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Monday, February 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:27 pm But I still knee-jerked "Home Depot" anyway because "blah blah blah home improvement store" is going to be "Home Depot" at least 99.999% of the time.
There's no good reason to think this. "Major home improvement retailer" should be a HD/Lowe's coin flip absent other information, given that the industry is essentially a two-horse race. Home Depot has a little under 30% market share, while Lowe's has about 20%.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:06 pm Pinto over Edsel here. Figured it was a car, but I always associate junky car with Pinto or if I'm feeling hipster, Chevette.
The Edsel is in rather a different category of failure from the Pinto; it was a commercial or marketing failure rather than a piece of junk one was likely to die in.

There was also the Chevy Corvair, which Ralph Nader wrote about, but which may have got a bad rap. I don't know much about the Corvette. It seems to have done ok for a while.
I'm smart and I want respect.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:58 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:54 pm I had a similar "let's make it too complicated" moment with one of the fedora clues. All they wanted was "holodeck" but I went past that and spent my time trying to dredge up "Dixon Hill," the character Picard liked to role-play with the fedora on the holodeck. Wasn't able to recall the name until after I discovered it would have been incorrect anyway.
Nice pull on Dixon Hill! I couldn't have come up with that. I gave the correct holodeck response even though I was momentarily distracted by Trebek's failure to pronounce the final d in "Picard". I don't know French at all, so I'm not sure if that pronunciation makes sense. I just know it's NOT the TNG pronunciation.
Now I'm wondering how Alex pronounced the $2000 TV ODDS 7 ENDS clue in this game. I know I saw that episode...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Lefty wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:20 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:06 pm Pinto over Edsel here. Figured it was a car, but I always associate junky car with Pinto or if I'm feeling hipster, Chevette.
The Edsel is in rather a different category of failure from the Pinto; it was a commercial or marketing failure rather than a piece of junk one was likely to die in.

There was also the Chevy Corvair, which Ralph Nader wrote about, but which may have got a bad rap. I don't know much about the Corvette. It seems to have done ok for a while.
Chevette != Corvette
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dinghammer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 pm
Nice pull on Dixon Hill! I couldn't have come up with that. I gave the correct holodeck response even though I was momentarily distracted by Trebek's failure to pronounce the final d in "Picard". I don't know French at all, so I'm not sure if that pronunciation makes sense. I just know it's NOT the TNG pronunciation.
Now I'm wondering how Alex pronounced the $2000 TV ODDS 7 ENDS clue in this game. I know I saw that episode...
LAHM-BEHR (more or less). Is that the one you were wondering about? Is that the correct pronunciation?
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:49 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Chevette != Corvette
Yes, I mistyped (and wondered later if I had). Chevette is what I meant.
I'm smart and I want respect.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:59 pm
dinghammer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 pm
LAHM-BEHR (more or less). Is that the one you were wondering about? Is that the correct pronunciation?
Yes, and yes. I wondered whether "everything is French" or "everything is wrong" would win out.