Monday, February 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7696, 2018-02-12

CONTESTANTS
Lindsey Piesz, a merchandise planner from Indianapolis, Indiana
Dom Granello, a project manager from Madison, Wisconsin
Marty Cunningham, an accountant and voice artist from Arvada, Colorado (whose 2-day cash winnings total $49,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. I begin today with a bit of a disclosure for all of you. I developed a head cold over this past weekend, one which I believe is going to be with me for quite some time. The good news about that is that it is turning me into an occasional bass baritone.

[Laughter]

Alex: Which is something I always wanted to be. I just hope it won't be a distraction for you or for our contestants. Lindsey, Dom, and Marty, good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round today with these categories awaiting you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DUMB CRIMINALS (5/5)
FITNESS ABBREV. (5/5)
EVERYBODY'S A CRITIC (5/5)
8-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
FEDORA (5/5)
THE EXPLORER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Marty: 15 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Lindsey: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Dom: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Marty: $3,000
Dom: $2,200
Lindsey: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Lindsey Piesz is from Indianapolis. And is it true you and your husband almost missed your honeymoon together? What happened?

Lindsey: Well, we had to travel out of state for our wedding. And we came back, and we were just really tired, and it was our own fault. We put off packing longer than we should have and kind of had to rush to make it to the airport. We got a lecture, but we were fine. We made it on the plane.

Alex: Wait a minute, who gave you the lecture?

Lindsey: The TSA guy.

Alex: Ah, I see. The friends--

Lindsey: Yes.

Alex: --that we have when we travel. Yes.

Alex: Dom Granello. You are a curler.

Dom: That's right. I'm a member of the Madison Curling Club in Madison, Wisconsin, and I was skip of the University of Oklahoma curling team. The only college curling team in the southern United States. Broomer Sooner!

Alex: Yeah. A lot of pressure, though, when you're the skip, because you're throwing the last rock. And if you mess up, it can cost your team dearly.

Dom: That's right. Kind of like the Final Jeopardy! of sports, you might say.

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh, smooth. Way to go.

Dom: Yeah.

Alex: Marty Cunningham, ladies and gentlemen, is our champion. I hear that you are mistaken, sometimes, for a well-known television personality.

Marty: I've been mistaken for Dr. Phil McGraw sometimes, which is kind of why I grew my beard out some.

Alex: Ah.

Marty: And there was one time I was actually standing in the supermarket, and he was on the magazine. And I picked it up and I started flipping through it, and I go, [in a Dr. Phil voice] "Can you believe what they said about me in here?" And I was reading it to my wife.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marty found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Marty had $7,800, Dom had $2,400, and Lindsey was at $3,200. Marty wagered $3,000.

THE EXPLORER $1000: In 1880 Pierre de Brazza reached this mighty African river

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Marty: $10,800
Dom: $3,400
Lindsey: $3,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORLD WAR I LITERATURE (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WORD ORIGINS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ASPIRATIONAL NATIONS (5/5)
C.C. & ME (4/5)
A SHEEPISH CATEGORY (4/5)
THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dom: 11 R, 1 W
Lindsey: 6 R, 0 W
Marty: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marty snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Marty had $12,800, Dom had $3,800, and Lindsey was at $3,200. Marty wagered $3,000.

WORD ORIGINS $1600: Referring to the bright blue of the sky, this color comes from the Persian name for lapis lazuli

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Marty who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Marty had $16,600, Dom had $4,200, and Lindsey was at $3,200. Marty wagered $4,000.

WORLD WAR I LITERATURE $1200: Roald Dahl wrote, "Constant twitching & jerking & snorting" were all signs of this alliterative disorder
(Marty: What is sleeping sickness?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORD ORIGINS $2000: This scientific name for a female kangaroo's pouch comes from the Latin for "pouch" or "purse"

A SHEEPISH CATEGORY $2000: A.E. Housman wrote of a "Lad" from this English county, home to a hornless, dark-faced sheep of the same name
(Marty: What is Cornwall?)

C.C. & ME $2000: Here is Herbert Hoover with this man, the vice-president whom Hoover largely ignored
(Marty: Who is Calvin Coolidge?)
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lindsey: $12,000
Marty: $11,800
Dom: $11,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN BUSINESS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Lindsey: Wager $11,601 to cover Marty.
Marty: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Dom, hoping that you give the correct response and Lindsey doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $10,201 to cover Dom's doubled score, but no more than $11,400 if you want to top Lindsey on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $799 and win if both Lindsey and Dom miss Final.
Dom: You ought to try wagering between $801 and $9,400. This will top a $0 wager by Marty while still beating Lindsey and Marty on the Triple Stumper (should Lindsey wager to cover Marty's doubled score and Marty wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 2007 headline said after being ridiculed since the 1950s, it "takes its victory lap" & noted the auction of one for $184,000

FINAL SCORES
Dom: $11,000 - $10,500 = $500 (What is A Tuba?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Marty: $11,800 + $5,000 = $16,800 (What is the Edsel?) (3-day champion: $65,900)
Lindsey: $12,000 - $9,000 = $3,000 (What is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Marty: $12,400, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Lindsey: $12,000, 14 R, 1 W
Dom: $11,000, 18 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Marty: 23/61 = .377
Dom: 18/58 = .310
Lindsey: 14/58 = .241
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE EXPLORER $600: Roald Amundsen was planning to drift across this in a ship in 1909, but when he heard about Peary he made a 180
(Lindsey: What is the South Pole?)

EVERYBODY'S A CRITIC $200: Of this Arthurian musical, Noel Coward said, "It's about as long as 'Parsifal', and not as funny"
(Dom: What is Spamalot?)

DUMB CRIMINALS $800: When you "start with" robbing this home improvement store & end by trying to hide in a nudist resort, yep, you will get caught
(Marty: What is Home Depot?)

EVERYBODY'S A CRITIC $1000: She moved on to the New Yorker soon after her review in McCall's called a popular movie "The Sound of Money"
(Dom: What is The Sound of Music?)

FEDORA $200: Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, this fedora-wearing actor walks into mine

FEDORA $400: This former bandmate of Beyoncé sports the headgear here

FEDORA $600: Here's the outfit, fedora included, that Captain Picard wore when he went into this virtual reality environment

FEDORA $800: We wonder if this famously stingy comedian paid a lot for that swell hat
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

FEDORA $1000: This late musical icon always kept up his style

ASPIRATIONAL NATIONS $800: The proposed Republic of Lakotah would include parts of North and South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming & this state

ASPIRATIONAL NATIONS $2000: South Arabia on the Gulf of Aden is trying to free itself from this war-torn nation

A SHEEPISH CATEGORY $800: Used for the strings of musical instruments, it's made from sheep, not felines
(Dom: What is gut?)
(Alex: Be more specific?)
(Dom: What is intestinal guts?)

A SHEEPISH CATEGORY $1600: This sheep, the result of research at Edinburgh's Roslin Institute, was revealed to the world in 1997

C.C. & ME $800: In 1993, she became the first female co-anchor of the CBS evening news

THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST $1600: A decade after they were walking on sunshine, this group won the 1997 Eurovision contest for the United Kingdom
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Congo
azure
shell shock
marsupium
Shropshire
Charles Curtis
the Edsel
the North Pole
Camelot
Lowe's
(Pauline) Kael
Bogart
Kelly Rowland
the holodeck
Jack Benny
Leonard Cohen
Nebraska
Yemen
catgut
Dolly
Connie Chung
Katrina and the Waves
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN BUSINESS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 2007 headline said after being ridiculed since the 1950s, it “takes its victory lap” & noted the auction of one for $184,000

Marty Cunningham: 11800+5000=16800 (3x = $65,900)
Dom Granello: 11000-10500=500
Lindsey Piesz: 12000-9000=3000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Edsel (Dom – tuba) (Lindsey – What is ?)

Daily Doubles
Marty: 7800+3000
Marty: 12800+3000
Marty: 16600-4000

Coryats
Marty: 12400
Dom: 11000
Lindsey: 12000

Combined: 35,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Marty: 10800
Dom: 3400
Lindsey: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was the best of rounds, it was the worst of rounds for Marty having 10800 to end the J! round and having 11800 for the FJ! round.

Alex made light of his own head cold with his remark about always wanting to be a bass-baritone.

Predictable stumper of the day:
A SHEEPISH CATEGORY $2000: A.E. Housman wrote of a “lad” from this English county, home to a hornless, dark-faced sheep of the same name

Sheepish indeed with Marty missing it.

To me the thing that takes a victory lap is a car. A car from the 1950s that has been ridiculed is the kind of thing where I don’t have choices.

I was helped by having seen this movie:
Spoiler
The pow-wow at the end had everyone gathered around the center spot.
Spoiler
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

43 R, 1 W (for 2000 -- guessed "bursa" for "marsupium" when I should exhibited the self-control of the contestants and just clammed)

Coryat: 32,000

DD: 3/3

FJ: :mrgreen:

Some new things to learn after this one. I am fond of Marty. Quite the negbait on that CC for 2000...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If all three get it right, third place wins the game. I hope Keith has someone drive him home from the gym.

The wording led me to a car and the Edsel. Marty was the only one to get it right. I wonder if this is one that skews to an older crowd, though Marty isn’t old enough to have seen one.

LT on Curtis. Know your obscure Veeps. He is also the only Native American to hold that post.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I'm also trying to figure out how two people missed this FJ. The reference to 2007 and the price were almost superfluous because with 1950s, ridiculed and victory lap, WECIB?

And those wagers - yikes. It's like they found a group that's never watched the show before - including Marty.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:53 pm I'm also trying to figure out how two people missed this FJ. The reference to 2007 and the price were almost superfluous because with 1950s, ridiculed and victory lap, WECIB?
Even Hammer has a chance to get off the schneid for 2018: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1455&p=75302

J! contestants have demonstrated problems with sports, so perhaps "victory lap" to car will not work for everyone? The clue does not say it's an automobile. Yes, 1950s & ridiculed should be enough while two players good enough to have five-figures for the FJ! round were not even close.

In trying to figure out the "how" perhaps the price tag seemed too steep for a car, 2007 seemed way too late for it, it really does come down to youth with the infamy of the car not as much in the know for 2018?

This board almost always has a collection of misses for any FJ! clue, so later posts will give a better idea how to steer wrong.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,400
43 R/2 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (none)

Marty is really impressive. I was surprised to see how badly he stumbled, and how well the other two contestants caught up, following that miss on the last DD. I didn't like the end-of-round signal with two clues left, particularly at the moment when one contestant has just taken the lead for the first time since very early in the game. Especially given that there was no LTAM warning, it looks like favoritism. (I'm not saying it is, mind you, but it's not a good look.)

Anyone else think Dom looks a bit like Roger Craig? I saw a particular resemblance in the eyebrows and mouth.

I was thrown off by the Persian bit in DD2. I considered lapis lazuli --> azure, but given that that's just the Latin root for blue, the Persian part didn't seem to make sense. I ended up going with Cerulean instead.

I was also thrown (as, I suspect, was Marty) by the mention of Roald Dahl in DD3. Once I remembered the category, I was able to get to shell shock, but I doubt it would have been in time.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Didn't recognize any of those exercise abbreviations. That seemed incredibly niche. Unless maybe you live in a Planet Fitness.

Dumb Criminals for $800 was massive negbait for Home Depot.

Identify Nebraska on a map for $1,600? That's too easy even on Kids' Week.

Victory lap -> Car. Car + 1950s + ridiculed = uhhhhhhhhhhhh... Why is it that even when I make the connection, the answer still isn't there?

Lach Trash: marsupium
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 pm Dumb Criminals for $800 was massive negbait for Home Depot.
I'm not ready to call it negbait quite yet. Was there something else in the clue that would lead one to Lowes over Home Depot? Something pulled me in that direction but not strong enough to not go with HD.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Can I make a poll request for shell shock?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

heppm01 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 pm Dumb Criminals for $800 was massive negbait for Home Depot.
I'm not ready to call it negbait quite yet. Was there something else in the clue that would lead one to Lowes over Home Depot? Something pulled me in that direction but not strong enough to not go with HD.
DUMB CRIMINALS $800: When you “start with” robbing this home improvement store & end by trying to hide in a nudist resort, yep, you will get caught

Poll request for DD3 seen.
hscer

Post by hscer »

These three seemed to get a decent chemistry going. Rare for regular games.

"American Business" threw me off just enough to think they wanted a company instead of a model, so I tried Studebaker.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

This was the first game I got to watch from the audience - I remembered that it was a close finish, but in the excitement (and the thrill that I would’ve also gotten “Edsel”) I’d forgotten those unusual FJ wagers.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 pm
DUMB CRIMINALS $800: When you “start with” robbing this home improvement store & end by trying to hide in a nudist resort, yep, you will get caught
I don't see how "Start with" is a TOM for Lowe's. Everything I'm finding says that their current slogan is "Never stop improving".
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:12 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 pm
I don't see how "Start with" is a TOM for Lowe's. Everything I'm finding says that their current slogan is "Never stop improving".
I think they're trying to go for a Rob Lowe connection. If so, it's poorly written at best.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

these were some good contestants, the only trash I could pick up was the shell shock DD. Bets may be questionable, but FJ as noted above was a WECIB. Surprised at hearing that Katrina & the Waves did Eurovision.
Instructional for TPH, better to come up with a joke answer like Don than wave the white flag like Lindsay.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm The wording led me to a car and the Edsel. Marty was the only one to get it right. I wonder if this is one that skews to an older crowd, though Marty isn’t old enough to have seen one.
I remember hearing about the Edsel from my dad. Maybe the knowledge got passed down to my generation but we didn't keep it going from there.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:53 pm And those wagers - yikes. It's like they found a group that's never watched the show before - including Marty.
To be fair, Marty's shows hadn't aired yet, so he didn't have a reason to watch.