Tuesday, February 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7697, 2018-02-13

WE ASKED: Jay Leno.

CONTESTANTS
Emily Deckenback, a midwife from San Bruno, California
Frank Lang, an utility locator from Mesa, Arizona
Marty Cunningham, an accountant and voice artist from Arvada, Colorado (whose 3-day cash winnings total $65,900)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. What a marvelous game we had to kick off the week here on Jeopardy! yesterday. At one point, early in the Double Jeopardy! Round, Marty had close to a $10,000 lead, but by the end of that round, he was trailing one of the challengers by $200. Fortunately for Marty, he's the only one who came up with the correct response in Final, and that makes a difference quite often. Frank and Emily, nice to have you with us. Good luck, players. Let's go to work right now in the Jeopardy! Round, and today, you three deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
JAY LENO'S GARAGE (4/5)
HORMONES (5/5)
IMAGINARY FOLKS' JOBS (4/5)
WOOD (5/5)
AIRPORTS NAMED FOR PEOPLE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SYNONYMOUS ANAGRAMS (1/1)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Frank: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Marty: 7 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Emily: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Frank: $2,400
Marty: $600
Emily: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Emily Deckenback is from San Bruno, California, but she met her husband on a tiny tropical island. Where?

Emily: Yes, I met my husband, Jeffrey, in a tropical island in the Great Barrier Reef, off of the coast of Australia. It was this little tiny island called Heron Island, where I was studying coral reef biology. And I was singing while I was doing my homework, and he heard my voice on the breeze and followed it around the lab building until he saw me.

Alex: Good for you two.

Emily: Yeah. We're adorable.

Alex: So that's a great love story. You are adorable, yes.

Alex: Frank Lang--

Frank: Yes.

Alex: --from Mesa, Arizona. Hiked the Grand Canyon in one day.

Frank: It's called the rim-to-rim. So you start on one side of the Grand Canyon, hike down about 5,000 feet, and then hike across the bottom, and hike up another 7,000. It's a total of about 23 miles or so. And by the end, you're feeling--feeling pretty beat. But about halfway through, the people coming from the other direction--they're running it--will run past you, and you feel just terrible about yourself as a human being.

[Laughter]

Alex: I'd still wait for the donkey, or...

Frank: Next time, I will do that.

Alex: Yeah.

Alex: Marty Cunningham is our champion. He's an accountant and voice artist, who likes to do cartoon voices. And I understand that one in particular makes your little nephew laugh.

Marty: Yeah. My nephew--he'll be a year old in May. My niece said that I've gotten the first laugh out of him by doing my Donald Duck voice.

Alex: And what does your Donald Duck voice sound like?

Marty: Well, Johnny Gilbert's job is not in danger, but [doing a Donald Duck impression] this is Jeopardy! With your host, Alex Trebek.

[Laughter]

Alex: Good for you. Thank you. I'm not sure if you're not going to be in trouble there, Johnny.

[Johnny Gilbert is shown laughing.]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marty found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Marty had $3,000, Frank had $2,200, and Emily had a deficit with -$400. Marty wagered $1,000.

AIRPORTS NAMED FOR PEOPLE $400: Cities in Greece & Macedonia both have airports named for this man
(Marty: Who is Philip?)
(Alex: Nope.)
(Marty: [*].)
(Alex: [*], the son. You're at $2,000, in second place. We have less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
JAY LENO'S GARAGE $1000: (Jay Leno presents the clue.) With a top speed of more than 240 MPH, a central driving position & touches like an engine bay literally lined with heat-reflective gold, it's no surprise that this British company's F1 has been called the greatest car of the 20th century
(Frank: What is Mach?)
(Marty: Who is Rolls-Royce?)
(Emily: What is Jaguar?)
(Alex: Our thanks to Jay Leno. We're gonna go back to his garage, and next time, I'd like to be there also. Okay, Frank. You have no money.)
(Frank: No, I do not.)
(Alex: But you have command of the board.)

IMAGINARY FOLKS' JOBS $800: Buffy's Watcher, Mr. Giles, at Sunnydale High
(Frank: What is a principal?)
(Emily: What is the teacher?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Frank: $4,400
Marty: $1,800
Emily: $1,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORD PUZZLES (4/5)
NASDAQ COMPANIES (5/5)
OLD NAMES ON THE MAP (5/5)
NOVEL "T"s (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PRESIDENTIAL QUOTES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SAD! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Frank: 16 R, 3 W
Marty: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 2 DDs)
Emily: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marty snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Marty had $3,400, Frank had $6,800, and Emily was at $1,000. Marty wagered $2,000.

PRESIDENTIAL QUOTES $2000: In 1832 Andrew Jackson complained that this institution "is trying to kill me, but I will kill it"
(Marty: What is Congress?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Marty who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Marty had $3,800, Frank had $4,800, and Emily was at $3,400. Marty wagered $2,000.

NOVEL "T"s $1600: In Audrey Niffenegger's bestseller, Clare Abshire DeTamble is this title spouse
(Marty: What is the therapist's wife?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORD PUZZLES $2000: Tuna fisherman's catch
(Frank: What is a straight?)
(Alex: You've got nine, ten, queen, king but no jack, so it would be [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Frank: $16,000
Marty: $9,000
Emily: $3,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC TV HOMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Frank: Wager $2,001 to cover Marty, but no more than $8,399 so as not to fall behind Emily's doubled score.
Marty: You have the hope of surpassing Frank if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,001 to force Frank to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $1,399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Emily.
Emily: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2017 the Bel-Air estate used in this '60s TV show was listed for $350 million

FINAL SCORES
Emily: $3,800 - $200 = $3,600 (What is the Brady Bunch?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Marty: $9,000 + $8,000 = $17,000 (What is The Beverly Hillbillies?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Frank: $16,000 + $6,999 = $22,999 (What is The Beverly Hillbillies) (New champion: $22,999)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Frank: $16,000, 27 R, 5 W
Marty: $14,000, 15 R, 5 W (including 3 DDs)
Emily: $3,800, 8 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $33,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Frank: 28/58 = .483
Marty: 16/61 = .262
Emily: 8/58 = .138
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
JAY LENO'S GARAGE $200: (Jay Leno presents the clue.) First produced in 1955, the Citroen DS remains to this day the most innovative car ever designed... in 1962 it saved the life of this French president when its hydropneumatic suspension kept his car under control at 70 MPH when assassins shot out a tire

JAY LENO'S GARAGE $400: (Jay Leno presents the clue.) In the 50s and 60s France's Panhard PL 17 delivered excellent performance along with the then-remarkable future of 40 MPG thanks to a tiny but powerful 2-cylinder engine & weight-saving features like trim & bumpers made out of this lightweight material

JAY LENO'S GARAGE $600: (Jay Leno presents the clue.) Considered the most sophisticated & expensive steam car ever built, the Doble generates tremendous power; in fact in 1925 this aviator, movie mogul & original owner got it up to 132.5 miles per hour

JAY LENO'S GARAGE $800: (Jay Leno presents the clue.) The jet-engine 1963 Chrysler Turbine car was a tour de force of futuristic design & as a 14-year-old, I went to this 1964 New York City expedition of space-age technology specifically to see one

IMAGINARY FOLKS' JOBS $600: Lola in the song "Copacabana"
(Frank: [Singing] What is [*]?)

WOOD $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Prized for its hard, reddish wood and used in furniture, this national tree of Belize appears on its flag

SYNONYMOUS ANAGRAMS $200: Tap
(Marty: What is apt?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

WORD PUZZLES $400: Don't zigzag; make this to your destination

WORD PUZZLES $800: Sitcom star start

WORD PUZZLES $1200: Overseas overtures

WORD PUZZLES $1600: This time, it really matters
(Frank: What is a top--choice cut?)
(Alex: No.)
(Frank: Top cut! Top.)

NASDAQ COMPANIES $1200: Let's see... I need some gas, a patio set & 27 boxes of cereal at this retailer whose roots trace back to 1976
(Frank: What is Walmart?)

SAD! $1600: After his death, Gerard Butler's love letters sent to Hilary Swank end with this afterthought, the movie's title
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Alexander
McLaren
librarian
the bank
the time traveler's wife
a skipjack
The Beverly Hillbillies
Charles de Gaulle
aluminum
Howard Hughes
the World's Fair
a showgirl
mahogany
pat
a beeline
stand-up comedy
foreign policy
high stakes
Costco
P.S. I Love You
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC TV HOMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2017 the Bel-Air estate used in this ’60s TV show was listed for $350 million

Marty Cunningham: 9000+8000=17000
Frank Lang: 16000+6999=22999 (New Champ)
Emily Deckenback: 3800-200=3600

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Beverly Hillbillies (Emily – The Brady Bunch)

Daily Doubles
Marty: 3000-1000
Marty: 3400-2000
Marty: 3800-2000

Coryats
Marty: 14000
Frank: 16000
Emily: 3800

Combined: 33,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Marty: 1800
Frank: 4400
Emily: 1000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If I ever had insomnia I could replay the Leno clues (cars are not my thing, nothing against Leno himself) and I would be lights out. There was no chance the J! round would have 30 clues shown once that video category was completed.

Buffy fans get to pull the triple trapdoor in this game.

Frank let his Fanilow show when he sang his response to Lola’s job.

Credit to Marty for getting the last $2K clue right to prevent the runaway on a day he could not dig out of an 0/3 on Daily Doubles hole.

Frank was both a bear market and a bull market on the scoreboard and we’ll see what he adds to his name when he signs in for tomorrow’s game. The face drawn on day one was a tip-off from the get-go that Frank would be a character as I noticed it on the three shot before the introductory single shot had Frank giving a thumbs up. Austin fans will enjoy today’s game. Floridagator on the other hand…

The FJ! clue allowed me to relax by the cement pond during the think time. I saw Frank was already writing by the time Alex was done reading and the contestants were shown, so unless Frank messed up his Jethro ciphering then Marty’s run was done.

This was a LL question in December that some J! Board members missed:

TELEVISION - A highly modified (and wildly unsafe) 1921 Oldsmobile Model 46 touring roadster appears prominently in the opening credits of what TV show?

Today was a chance for redemption or a reason to hate that show even more.

Even if Marty had been correct on DD2 he still would not have had the lead for the FJ! round. Even if Marty had been correct on DD3 he still would not have had the lead for the FJ! round. If a friend or family member wants to give a funny gift then do an exacta of the Niffenegger book with a $20 bill as a bookmark. For the trifecta I guess a copy of the Colin Farrell movie would be the choice?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,400
44 R/2 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: McLaren, Alexander the Great (DD), skipjack

Sad to see Marty go. I think the depth of his knowledge base would have made him dangerous in the ToC.

Those cars in Jay Leno's garage were cool, but I would have rather seen all of the clues in Synonymous Anagrams.

I have heard of The Time Traveler's Wife, but I had no chance on that DD. My best guess was Trophy Wife.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said dancer for Lola's job. Judges?

I got Alex the Great in a coin flip over Aristotle Onassis. I said the National Bank for the Andy Jackson DD.I guess that would be acceptable. But all I could get for the third DD was The French Lieutenant's Woman.

I got the LL question right and this was an instaget as well.

If they visit Jay's garage again, I hope Alex does get to go and reads the clues next time.

I had no idea what that anagram category was about. Granted, I didn't have much to go on. Anyone else figure it out?

Frank had a quirky personality, glad to see him win.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:38 pm I had no idea what that anagram category was about. Granted, I didn't have much to go on. Anyone else figure it out?
SYNONYMOUS ANAGRAMS $200: Tap

Pat is an anagram of tap. Tap and pat (on the shoulder) can mean the same thing, so they are synonyms.

I found this list after a Google search for what could have been in the missing clues. (6th one down was J!6)

angered, enraged
bate, beat
blate, bleat
cleaners, cleanser
detail, dilate
evil, vile
lowest, lowset
name, mean
note, tone
parental, paternal
pat, tap
piles, spile
post, spot
punks, spunk
recourse, resource
stop, spot
veto, vote
vileness, evilness
wale, weal
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

In the category Jay Leno's Garage, Charles de Gaulle seemed hard for the top clue, and World's Fair seemed easy for the $800 clue. Maybe they should have been swapped?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I so instantly came up with "The Beverly Hillbillies" (a show I never cared for) that I immediately skipped forward on the PVR to the reveal. I don't know where Emily got the idea that the Brady Bunch house is in Bel-Air (it's actually in Studio City) because that house and its neighborhood are very middle class, with houses side-by-side. I'm just glad Emily didn't create the innominate situation by ringing in on the last clue and and causing a runaway.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Too bad we didn't have a Natalie to go with Marty/Martie and Emily to set up a bunch of Dixie Chicks jokes.

Those Jay Leno clues were painful and way too freaking long.

Neither name in Imaginary Jobs for $200 rang any bells to me.

Ran the Wood and Word Puzzle categories.

Nasdaq for $1,200 felt like another coinflip on Sam's Club vs. Costco, with absolutely nothing to narrow it down.

"Bel-Air" got my mind flipped, turned upside down and stuck on the Fresh Prince, which is obviously not from the 60s.

Lach Trash: skipjack
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Sorry Jay, you read the clues well (sooooo much better than most celebs) and the cars were cool, but you ate up all the time. A moment of silence for the easy anagrams, and the $2800 in free money, left to die.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:17 pm Buffy fans get to pull the triple trapdoor in this game.

I'm guessing they never watched the show (sigh), and thought 'oh, he worked at a high school? Easy enough to guess!' Womp womp.
Frank let his Fanilow show when he sang his response to Lola’s job.
I may or may not have done the same at home :lol:

Instaget FJ.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:32 pm
Nasdaq for $1,200 felt like another coinflip on Sam's Club vs. Costco, with absolutely nothing to narrow it
If you did the TD just ended or even read its reveal you know that Walmart has the ticker symbol WMT which means it's listed on the New York Stock Exchange. All NASDAQ ticker symbols have four characters. Anyway Walmart's roots go back to 1962.

Believe it or not, I was bothered by the clue mentioning 27 boxes of cereal, because Costco only sells cereal in double boxes. So I would have preferred an even number.
Last edited by floridagator on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pm
Nasdaq for $1,200 felt like another coinflip on Sam's Club vs. Costco, with absolutely nothing to narrow it
If you did the TD just ended or even read its reveal you know that Walmart has the ticket symbol WMT which means it's listed on the New York Stock Exchange. All NASDAQ ticker symbols have four characters. Anyway Walmart's roots go back to 1962.
Oh duh. Sam's Club is part of Walmart, and thus wouldn't have its own separate listing.

Then again, I live in a state where Costco is all but nonexistant...
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pm Believe it or not, I was bothered by the clue mentioning 27 boxes of cereal, because Costco only sells cereal in double boxes. So I would have preferred an even number.
Do they not sell triple boxes?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 pm Then again, I live in a state where Costco is all but nonexistant...
No you don't. I can shop at any of three within a 45 minute drive, and I don't think you live that far away from me.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pm
If you did the TD just ended or even read its reveal you know that Walmart has the ticket symbol WMT which means it's listed on the New York Stock Exchange. All NASDAQ ticker symbols have four characters. Anyway Walmart's roots go back to 1962.
Oh duh. Sam's Club is part of Walmart, and thus wouldn't have its own separate listing.

Then again, I live in a state where Costco is all but nonexistant...
You're out of the metro area, though. We have plenty down here - including a brand new one a few inches from Ann Arbor (not the most business-friendly city) that draws the crowds. I wouldn't be surprised if the southern edge of Ann Arbor becomes the largest city in Michigan some day.

Speaking of Michiganders, I loved the Time-Traveler's Wife - one of my favorite novels in that genre. The movie was unusually badly done. Audrey Niffenegger (who is from the west side of the state) came up with one of the great debut novels of this generation. I enjoyed her second novel, and have been awaiting the third on what seems like a George R.R. Martin type of schedule (I think she announced the title and theme five years ago). She received a $5 million advance for the second novel. Maybe that changed things, hard to tell.

Not a Frank fan in terms of the emoting. It's not really disliking the Austin thing - Austin had a sense of fun and seems like a nice guy who can run a room. This was just reacting to everything, and on an increasing pace. Combined with the Leno category, that was a lot of down time.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 pm Then again, I live in a state where Costco is all but nonexistant...
No you don't. I can shop at any of three within a 45 minute drive, and I don't think you live that far away from me.
The nearest Costco to me is, according to Google Maps, in Auburn Hills. To get there, I have to drive past at least three other Sam's Clubs first (Saginaw, Flint, Grand Blanc). And even Saginaw is over an hour away.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 24, W: 2, costing 800
Coryat: 14,800
DD: 0/3
LT: none. Again. :x

Ran Wood in the J! round. Can I also claim a run in the Anagrams?? ;) I may get my car guy credentials revoked (or at least put on probation) for missing the LT on MacLaren. :oops: I even paused the playback to think for a few extra seconds. Two of the three players at least named a British car company. Not sure what Frank was going for there. The best I could think of was Speed Racer's car, the Mach Five. And that would be from Japan, I suppose, being anime and all. ;)

Got skunked in lit yet again in the DJ round. And only managed to get one each in the Quotes and Sad. Sad!

FJ: Come and listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed... One of my favorite shows as a kid. And I believe that is a ceeeement pond. Always had a hard time watching Buddy Ebsen in Barnaby Jones. That just didn't seem like something Jed would do.
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pmBelieve it or not, I was bothered by the clue mentioning 27 boxes of cereal, because Costco only sells cereal in double boxes. So I would have preferred an even number.
Wait a minute here. Most of the cereal I buy at Costco comes in a single box. There are two bags inside the box, but it's just one box. However there is one of my regulars that is two boxes taped together. At any rate, an odd number of boxes is perfectly achievable.

Maybe it's a regional variance?
--Peter
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Interesting that we've had several 50s/60s themed FJs the last few days (The Right Stuff, Edsel, Beverly Hillbillies).

I'm a Sam's Club guy so I'm unable to weigh in on the dispute above. ;)