Tuesday, February 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peter the accountant »

tiwonge wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:57 pmI guess I underestimate how well-known de Gaulle is. My students have never heard of him. Even when I point out how easy it is to remember him given the connection between his name and the Roman name for France, they still struggle when he comes up.
I always associate de Gaulle with WWII, not his post-war career. That's my mistake, of course, and explains why I missed that top row clue. The mention of the 1960s completely eliminated him from my thinking. I also haven't seen enough pictures of him to recognize him by sight. Probably something I need to work on.
--Peter
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:22 pm Apparently I completely messed this up. I thought it was going for Lola from "Damn Yankees."
at least you didn't think of "Lola" by the Kinks 8-)
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:22 pm Apparently I completely messed this up. I thought it was going for Lola from "Damn Yankees." Lola's real job was working in a real estate office but in the show she played a Latin American dancer named Seniorita Lolita Banana. That's where I was thinking either dancer or showgirl would be acceptable.
Lola sells real estate in Hell? Because as I remember the show, that's where she's from... :geek:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:41 pm Super-instaget of the final... Loved that show.

However, I didn't remember any character named Pearl, so I set a spell and went a-Googlin'...

Hmm... played by Bea Benaderet, veteran sitcom actress... Didn't remember her being on that show, however... Even still pics of her in Bev. Hillbillies costume didn't help.

So, I found the first episode on good ol' YouTube... Jethro's mom, and the one who suggested that Jed should move to Californy, and offered Jethro and her truck to help. Pretty important character...

But even with all that info, I still don't remember any later plot arcs that involved Pearl.
In re: Pearl: I think the early strategy was to rely heavily on Bea Benaderets' star power (?) to help anchor the show, and as she wasn't needed, they spun off Petticoat Junction to exploit her (I can't imagine what) appeal. Episodes with Pearl were excruciating to watch as they tried to create dramedy with Granny and the whole Jethrine/Jethro in drag thing was painful. She mercifully disappeared from the show, but of course later they did crossover episodes with Petticoat Junction and again every one of them was a stinker. I haven't seen any BH eps in a long time, and it's likely they have failed the test of time, but back in the day they were a game changer.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:36 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:19 pm
De Gaulle is the only French Prime Minister I can remember reliably.
How many French Presidents can you remember? ;) This is one of those reasons Opus will be missed during his time away as he can be quite clever with the lightly correcting posts in combination with humor.
To be fair, de Gaulle was a French Prime Minister.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 pm
floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:22 pm Apparently I completely messed this up. I thought it was going for Lola from "Damn Yankees."
at least you didn't think of "Lola" by the Kinks 8-)
I initially made that connection, though it took only a split second for me to disabuse myself of it...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 pm (Ironhorse - you may want to spoiler your post)
For future reference, what is the protocol? I assumed any spoilers would be fair game since the thread itself is spoiler tagged.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 pm (Ironhorse - you may want to spoiler your post)
For future reference, what is the protocol? I assumed any spoilers would be fair game since the thread itself is spoiler tagged.
I don't see the link any more, but I think what you did is mention something that occurred in Tuesday's game in the Monday thread. General rule is: don't spoil the future. :)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:36 pm
I don't see the link any more, but I think what you did is mention something that occurred in Tuesday's game in the Monday thread. General rule is: don't spoil the future. :)
Or the past, as people watch out of order.

Basically, spoilers about the game in question are fine, but no other games (at least not recent ones. H&R Block/Fed Ex jokes will never be old, for example. :) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
earendel

Post by earendel »

Magnoliasims wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:35 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 am
Anachronism wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:43 am It's apparently a 9,500 - square foot house on about a third of an acre (not much room for a yard) built in 1892. It's supposedly single-family and has seven bedrooms and nine bathrooms. And, still, no one has ever seen Lars.
Nor Carlton. The Doorman.
Or Norm's wife, Vera or Margaret's husband, Louis . . . almost enough for a "NEVER APPEARED ON TV" category.
Add Charlie from the original "Charlie's Angels" to the list.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

earendel wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 am
Magnoliasims wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:35 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 am
Anachronism wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:43 am It's apparently a 9,500 - square foot house on about a third of an acre (not much room for a yard) built in 1892. It's supposedly single-family and has seven bedrooms and nine bathrooms. And, still, no one has ever seen Lars.
Nor Carlton. The Doorman.
Or Norm's wife, Vera or Margaret's husband, Louis . . . almost enough for a "NEVER APPEARED ON TV" category.
Add Charlie from the original "Charlie's Angels" to the list.
He did appear a few times, didn't he? We never saw his face, of course, but I'm pretty sure we saw him from the back or in the shadows a few times.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

The protocol seems to be an abundance of caution, which is fair enough. The mods are pretty good at noticing slipups, but I just happened to hijack your good post and noticed it. I think oblique references are fine, such as just referring to the clue or category but not the solution. As DHK said, people skip games and catch them later, so both past and present is somebody else's future. I made the same faux pas, and received a gentle attitude adjustment.
The TPH thread is the wild west, so no problems there, except for spoiling yourself if you aren't caught up - this has happened to most of us I think!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:08 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:41 pm Super-instaget of the final... Loved that show.

However, I didn't remember any character named Pearl, so I set a spell and went a-Googlin'...

Hmm... played by Bea Benaderet, veteran sitcom actress... Didn't remember her being on that show, however... Even still pics of her in Bev. Hillbillies costume didn't help.

So, I found the first episode on good ol' YouTube... Jethro's mom, and the one who suggested that Jed should move to Californy, and offered Jethro and her truck to help. Pretty important character...

But even with all that info, I still don't remember any later plot arcs that involved Pearl.
In re: Pearl: I think the early strategy was to rely heavily on Bea Benaderets' star power (?) to help anchor the show, and as she wasn't needed, they spun off Petticoat Junction to exploit her (I can't imagine what) appeal. Episodes with Pearl were excruciating to watch as they tried to create dramedy with Granny and the whole Jethrine/Jethro in drag thing was painful. She mercifully disappeared from the show, but of course later they did crossover episodes with Petticoat Junction and again every one of them was a stinker. I haven't seen any BH eps in a long time, and it's likely they have failed the test of time, but back in the day they were a game changer.
I didn't care much for the Beverly Hillbillies, and actively disliked Petticoat Junction. The best thing that arose from that genealogy was Green Acres -- everyone else in my family thought it was as dumb as the other two, but I found it much slyer and much funnier.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:36 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:19 pm
De Gaulle is the only French Prime Minister I can remember reliably.
How many French Presidents can you remember? ;) This is one of those reasons Opus will be missed during his time away as he can be quite clever with the lightly correcting posts in combination with humor.
To be fair, de Gaulle was a French Prime Minister.
To be fairer, he was Prime Minister for a few months in '58 and '59. Then he was President from '59 to '69.
OCSam