Thursday, February 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7699, 2018-02-15

Rob Worman game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Shawn Ralston, a pediatrician from Hanover, New Hampshire
Matt Stikker, a graphic designer and illustrator from Portland, Oregon
Rob Worman, an escalation manager from Edina, Minnesota (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,900)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.

[Alex tugs on his ear, mimicking Rob's gesture during contestant introductions.]

Alex: I have no idea why Rob did that. This is turning into a pretty good week for us. He had a great game yesterday. Matt and Shawn, could happen to you today. Let's start finding out. Good luck. We're going to work now in the Jeopardy! Round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (4/5) (Alex: We start you off with a tribute to the 30th anniversary on Broadway of...)
HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ON THEIR LIVE AID SETLIST (3/4)
THE 1930s (4/5)
WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST? (3/5)
SYNONYM ROLL (1/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rob: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Shawn: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Matt: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rob: $3,800
Shawn: $1,800
Matt: -$1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: As most of you folks know, I have dual citizenship, and Shawn Ralston, a pediatrician from New Hampshire, has had a longstanding dream of becoming a Canadian also. Why?

Shawn: I can't really explain it. I'm from Texas, and I was born in the far south of Texas. And I've been gradually moving my way up the United States. I'm currently within a hour of the Canadian border, and I'm hoping that by mentioning my desire to become a Canadian citizen on the air that they'll welcome me. I'm hoping.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Matt Stikker is from Portland, Oregon. For five years was in a band.

Matt: It was called the Metal Shakespeare Company. It was more than a band, Alex. It was a... metal Shakespeare company. It was kind of, I would Iron Maiden, Spinal Tap, Monty Python, with a dash of Shakespeare.

Alex: But did you create music that had Shakespeare connections?

Matt: It was original heavy metal songs, and the lyrics were all taken straight from Shakespeare. Except for maybe the line "to bleed or not to bleed." Maybe not quite original, but close.

Alex: "Is this a dagger I see before me?"

Matt: That was the first song we wrote.

[Laughter]

Alex: How did I know that?

Matt: First line of the first song.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Rob Worman is our champion. He's an escalation manager, and I have no idea what that means. You work on escalators?

Rob: No, no. I work for a software company.

Alex: Ah.

Rob: And we make software that a lot of big companies use, and so if there's a problem with our software, a lot of those big companies' big bosses get big mad, and they call up on the phone and yell at us. I might be one of the people who helps negotiate, and say, "Oh no, we love you, Mr. Trebek. We'll get your computer fixed in one hour, I promise. And if not, I'll call you right back and we'll get it fixed an hour after that."

Alex: But you get it fixed the same way all the time. You unplug it for fifteen seconds, you plug it back in.

[Laughter]

Alex: I know those tricks.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rob found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Rob had $4,800, Matt was in the red with -$1,800, and Shawn was at $3,200. Rob made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,800.

HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES $800: An aerobatic team performs during a parade celebrating this July holiday in Europe

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA $400: Act 2 opens at the opera house with a lavish masquerade ball to celebrate this festive winter night

WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST? $400: It was created as a health food in the 19th c. & returned to tables as Heartland Natural Cereal in 1972
(Matt: What is Kellogg?)
(Shawn: What are corn flakes?)

WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST? $1000: Home fries are also called by the name of this specific type of house
(Matt: Uh...)

THE 1930s $1000: Orson Welles & John Houseman formed this theatre in 1937

ON THEIR LIVE AID SETLIST $1000: "I Don't Like Mondays"

SYNONYM ROLL $1000: Term for a subatomic particle's angular momentum

SYNONYM ROLL $200: This gymnastics roll sounds like it contains a season

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rob: $10,000
Shawn: $3,200
Matt: -$200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN BOOKS & AUTHORS (4/5)
CHARITABLE ORGANIZATIONS (5/5)
COUNTRY NAME ORIGINS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"I" CATCHING (4/4)
THE CLINTON CABINET (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MEDICATIONS (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rob: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Shawn: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Matt: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Shawn snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Rob had $12,400, Matt had $200, and Shawn was at $5,600. Shawn made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,600.

COUNTRY NAME ORIGINS $2000: The first Spanish explorers in the region noticed silver ornaments worn by natives & this country's name was born
(Alex: Argentum for silver, yes.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Shawn who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Rob had $16,000, Matt had $4,200, and Shawn was at $12,400. Shawn wagered $4,000.

THE CLINTON CABINET $1600: During Clinton's second term, former U.S. Army lieutenant Togo West headed this Cabinet department
(Alex: Hurry.)
(Shawn: What is... in--depart--uh...)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COUNTRY NAME ORIGINS $800: Al-Jazeera means "the peninsula"; Algeria gets its name from this type of landmass, a cut-off peninsula

AMERICAN BOOKS & AUTHORS $2000: The title character of this Edith Wharton novel is in love with Mattie Silver, his wife's cousin

COUNTRY NAME ORIGINS $1600: Referring to its location 500 miles south of Samoa, this monarchy's name means "south"

THE CLINTON CABINET $1200: Lawyer Warren Christopher headed up this important department
(Shawn: What is Justice?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rob: $16,800
Shawn: $14,000
Matt: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDIEVAL ASIA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Rob: Wager $11,201 to cover Shawn. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $2,801.
Shawn: Try wagering $5,599, which is as much as you can put up against Rob without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Matt.
Matt: You just can't cover a rational wager by Shawn, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Though it means "one who serves", in medieval Japan it was a property holder who received rent from serfs

FINAL SCORES
Matt: $4,200 - $2,000 = $2,200 (What is a daimyo?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Shawn: $14,000 - $9,500 = $4,500 (Who is shogun) (2nd place: $2,000)
Rob: $16,800 - $11,201 = $5,599 (Who is a geish) (2-day champion: $21,499)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Shawn: $14,400, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Rob: $12,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Matt: $4,200, 9 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $31,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Rob: 18/59 = .305
Shawn: 16/60 = .267
Matt: 9/58 = .155
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA $600: 17 million people have seen Broadway's Phantom ferry Christine to his home under the streets of this city

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA $800: The first African-American actor to play the Phantom on Broadway, Norm Lewis donned the mask to perform this iconic song

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA $1000: So far on Broadway, 22 actresses have played Christine, but this soprano originated the Broadway role

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA $200: The longest running musical on Broadway, "The Phantom of the Opera" features a dramatic score by this composer

WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST? $600: This fad is where it's at, successful enough to become part of an internet meme

ON THEIR LIVE AID SETLIST $600: "Sultans Of Swing"
(Matt: Oh my God. Uh...)

HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES $1000: Her May 24 birthday first became a holiday in Canada in 1845 & it's still celebrated today
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

SYNONYM ROLL $400: Certain disciples of Sufism are called this kind of dervish
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

COUNTRY NAME ORIGINS $400: This Caribbean nation takes its name from a word meaning "bearded ones"
(Shawn: What is Barbuda?)

AMERICAN BOOKS & AUTHORS $400: In 2004 this beloved author was honored on the stamp seen here

AMERICAN BOOKS & AUTHORS $1200: Before he ventured to Venus & Mars, he published a book called "What You Feel You Can Heal"

"I" CATCHING $1200: An investigation by a coroner to answer the question "How did he die?"
(Rob: What is an autopsy?)

"I" CATCHING $1600: This tropical water feeder comes in crested & sacred varieties

"I" CATCHING $2000: A Latin word meaning "let it be printed", it can refer to any official approval
(Matt: What is ibid?)

THE CLINTON CABINET $2000: Secretary of Energy for Clinton, he later ran for president & served as New Mexico's governor as well
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

MEDICATIONS $800: (Dr. Oz presents the clue.) Medicines in olden days didn't have government oversight; today you couldn't buy Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup... which quieted babies because it was mostly alcohol & this opium derivative used as a painkiller since the early 1800s
(Shawn: What is laudanum?)

"I" CATCHING $800: An engine that's running but not moving the car is doing this
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Bastille Day
New Year's Eve
granola
cottage fries
Mercury Theatre
the Boomtown Rats
spin
a somersault
Argentina
Veterans Affairs
an island
Ethan Frome
Tonga
Secretary of State
samurai
Paris
"The Music Of The Night"
Sarah Brightman
Andrew Lloyd Webber
avocado toast
Dire Straits
Queen Victoria
a whirling dervish
Barbados
Dr. Seuss
John Gray
an inquest
an ibis
imprimatur
Bill Richardson
morphine
idling
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDIEVAL ASIA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Though it means “one who serves”, in medieval Japan it was a property holder who received rent from serfs

Rob Worman: 16800-11201=5599 (2x = $21,499)
Matt Stikker: 4200-2000=2200
Shawn Ralston: 14000-9500=4500

Correct response:
Spoiler
samurai (Rob – geish) (Matt – daimyo) (Shawn – shogun)

Daily Doubles
Rob: 4800+4800
Shawn: 5600+5600
Shawn: 12400-400

Coryats
Rob: 12800
Matt: 4200
Shawn: 14400

Combined: 31,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Rob: 10000
Matt: minus 200
Shawn: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The players got the Phantom category out of the way first and Rob was off to a good start with 3 right for +$2,400 in it.

It was before my time, yet the only category I ran was THE 1930s. One rollover in the grave for Mr. Welles and his theater co. $1000 for Trebek at the 4th podium.

SYNONYM ROLL $200: This gymnastics roll sounds like it contains a season
Booo! And a groan. I failed to get it either way by possibly thinking of the spice kind of season or the quarterly type in a year as my attempt was working off tumble.

It’s always nice to see J! work in the clues for Kiva every so often to make the Friends of Bob Harris happy.

The FJ! clue was one of those Marktiple Choice specials when I have the right one in the mix and go the wrong way as I matched Shawn. I had Rob’s incorrect guess under consideration as well. Matt’s response is beyond my knowledge base and in not knowing where to go I even had Tai-Pan in the hopper recalling the Clavell work. I have not read or watched the right things making the clue a guess with nothing specific to go on.

Rob: Congrats on getting to play a third game. Hope you bought Shawn a drink afterwards for the assist.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 pm The players got the Phantom category out of the way first and Rob was off to a good start with 3 right for +$2,400 in it.
I hope I didn’t visibly salivate... I am a BIG fan of that show. But I clammed up on that “masquerade” clue when I just couldn’t think past halloween, which I absolutely knew was wrong.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 pm The FJ! clue was one of those Marktiple Choice specials when I have the right one in the mix and go the wrong way as I matched Shawn.
I was stuck on “shogun,” but I knew shogun didn’t quite fit, and flailed hopelessly for geisha at the last second. Samurai was pretty obvious in hindsight, of course. (Kirusawa, anyone? We saw those seven guys collecting rent!)

I was extremely lucky that no one else got it, and then lucky x2 when Shawn overbet...
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 pm Rob: Congrats on getting to play a third game. Hope you bought Shawn a drink afterwards for the assist.

I didn’t see Shawn, but I did treat Matt to a drink at the hotel bar that night. He was a very nice guy.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 pm It’s always nice to see J! work in the clues for Kiva every so often to make the Friends of Bob Harris happy.
I thought this was great.

I considered Shogun and, G&S fan that I am, Mikado for FJ before settling on the correct response. I wonder if anyone might've given an FJ shout-out to my favorite store: Daiso!

Rob, I'm not caught up on the Macarena episode, but big congrats to you! You're going to have to Macarena on demand for all eternity.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Nothing at all was recognizable in that Phantom of the Opera category.

Why did the Janet Reno clue mention dancing?

Given the category, I knew I had no chance. I had no idea what to even put down, since the category was entirely unfamiliar to me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Close, but no cookie: I went with Ronin.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:28 pm Why did the Janet Reno clue mention dancing?
Janet Reno Dance Party!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:28 pm Why did the Janet Reno clue mention dancing?
I second this query. I got it right, but that was a WTF moment for me.
EDIT:
econgator wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:32 pm Janet Reno Dance Party!
Make that two WTF moments. *heads to google*
....whatever.

I don't know much about medieval Japan outside a few terms and a bit about the Sengoku Jidai, and I thought it was the daimyo that shook down the serfs...but "one who serves" = samurai, instaget FJ.

At this point, terrible 2nd place wagering is hardly worth mentioning.

Congrats again, Rob. 2 down, 73 to go ;)
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:32 pm
Janet Reno Dance Party!
I'm on the Hammer side in this case although I took the time to look it up. It seems to be some kind of SNL thing so that explains it being off my radar.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Matt did not win although he did get a plug in for Metal Shakespeare Company. Some of the YT comments mention J!, so it worked. 20 seconds of this video were enough for me. Ear/volume alert depending on one's taste.
Spoiler
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:34 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:32 pm
Janet Reno Dance Party!
I'm on the Hammer side in this case although I took the time to look it up. It seems to be some kind of SNL thing so that explains it being off my radar.
I only vaguely remembered it, but the name was odd enough to retain.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I can't believe I still remember all the names of the Clinton cabinet members that I memorized for quizbowl in high school. For FJ!, I was trying to remember the word daimyo, but couldn't come up with it, but didn't realize that samurai was a nobility title as well.
artshep
Contributor

Post by artshep »

"Jazeera" does not mean 'Penninsula' in Arabic. It means 'Island.' Not sure how/why the writers got that wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

artshep wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:21 pm "Jazeera" does not mean 'Penninsula' in Arabic. It means 'Island.' Not sure how/why the writers got that wrong.
I'm guessing here (from wiki):

Al Jazeera (Arabic: الجزيرة‎ al-ǧazīrah, IPA: [æl dʒæˈziːrɐ], literally "The Island", though referring to the Arabian Peninsula in context[1]

Where [1] leads to: What does "Al Jazeera" mean?

The name "Al Jazeera" means "peninsula." Al Jazeera's distinctive logo is said to resemble a drop of water. Its calligraphic design spells "Al Jazeera" in Arabic. The logo was created via a design competition and has become one of the world's most widely recognized brand marks.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 24, W: 4, costing 5600
Coryat: 14,000
FJ: :(
DD: 1/3
LT: granola, somersault, island

I got fewer wrong than yesterday, but a higher average cost. Need to clam more.

Stumped in knowing song titles, ran the charities. Felt stupid for failing to pull Andrew Lloyd Weber. I'm not a rabid fan of the Phantom, but it is one of my favorite musicals (once you eliminate Gilbert and Sullivan, which tells you a bit about my taste in musicals.)

In final, I again couldn't pull up an answer. I wanted those guys who are more known for swords and fighting, but couldn't find the name. Ended up writing shogun to have something down.
Last edited by Peter the accountant on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Peter
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

28 R
DD: 2/3 (Bastille Day, Argentina)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Boomtown Rats, Somersault, Island, Ethan Frome, Tonga
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Matt was a nice chap but he gave me reason to root against him after he refused to finish out the Live Aid Set List category.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

What a terrific fight by Shawn, and too bad her go big or go home strategy sent her home. The usual timid betting by contestants on her last DD would have kept her in the lead, but that was a bad place to be tonight.

Good game by Rob, and no shame in the win from the lead. It was fun watching you destroy the Phantom category. Best of luck tomorrow. I will try for 1 in a row.

The bottom box clue in the synonym category is why you don't start there first. I was stunned to see a Physics question and might have clammed because I think the clue referred to particle physics, and spin is not used interchangeably with angular momentum in the quantum realm. And it is just one component of angular momentum in the classical realm, so synonymous it's not.

I picked Geisha first, then waffled over to Shogun, then back to Geisha as it would be a more surprising twist. Never considered Samurai and thought them to be from religious origins. That must be the Ninja, or maybe all that is Western embellishment.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.