LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 am On the Barnaby Joyce question, I didn't know, and I figured my not knowing was a strong indicator it wasn't the UK. I thought Ireland would be too obvious a guess given the surname, and I thought it would be lame to guess Australia given an English name that I assumed wasn't an English person. So I figured Joyce was stepping down along with Jacob Zuma, and guessed South Africa. If I had gone with Australia, it would have saved me a tie in both my public and private matches.
Ireland and South Africa both have a president, not a prime minister. This left me choosing from Australia, New Zealand, and (less likely), Canada. I made the right call this time
Presidents and prime ministers are not necessarily mutually exclusive. France and Israel have both, for example.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Vermonter wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:25 pm I lost 6(5)-9(6) on Friday, but my one wrong answer got me my first BWA nomination, so I'm calling it a win:

8 SIMPLE RULES FOR BURNING MY HERETIC DAUGHTER
I thought that was a good one when I saw it. Way to go, Keith!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 am On the Barnaby Joyce question, I didn't know, and I figured my not knowing was a strong indicator it wasn't the UK. I thought Ireland would be too obvious a guess given the surname, and I thought it would be lame to guess Australia given an English name that I assumed wasn't an English person. So I figured Joyce was stepping down along with Jacob Zuma, and guessed South Africa. If I had gone with Australia, it would have saved me a tie in both my public and private matches.
Ireland and South Africa both have a president, not a prime minister. This left me choosing from Australia, New Zealand, and (less likely), Canada. I made the right call this time
It certainly helps to know stuff. I didn't!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Vermonter wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:25 pm I lost 6(5)-9(6) on Friday, but my one wrong answer got me my first BWA nomination, so I'm calling it a win:

8 SIMPLE RULES FOR BURNING MY HERETIC DAUGHTER
Haha. That’s better than my BWA attempt of “witchin’ and bitchin’”
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Witches Get Stitches was brilliant.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Ahh, there we go. Loss that should've been a tie, loss that should have been a win. *grumble*defence*grumble*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had two RTFQ moments in yesterday's match. I actually did read the whole question about the card game, but then in looking over it again I completely forgot about the dance portion of the question in light of recalling euchre as the one card game I knew that removed a significant number of cards from the deck. I let that influence my defense too, as naming a card game was harder in my mind than naming the dance would have been. I outright failed to read the NCIS question in its entirety, and attempted to name the original show's location along with its first spinoff's. This led to me equaling VeredJ (both my public and private opponent) with 4 correct, and losing on defense.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am I had two RTFQ moments in yesterday's match. I actually did read the whole question about the card game, but then in looking over it again I completely forgot about the dance portion of the question in light of recalling euchre as the one card game I knew that removed a significant number of cards from the deck. I let that influence my defense too, as naming a card game was harder in my mind than naming the dance would have been. I outright failed to read the NCIS question in its entirety, and attempted to name the original show's location along with its first spinoff's. This led to me equaling VeredJ (both my public and private opponent) with 4 correct, and losing on defense.
I totally misread the NCIS question the first several times. I thought he was looking for two cities that are a regional headquarter, but aren't Los Angeles or New Orleans. Very tricky wording. While I was thrashing about, I realized it had to be easier than I thought, and finally figured out that he was just looking for the two spinoff cities. Duh.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Defense is normally one of my strong suits (my previous season-long DE marks in Rundle A were .762, .764, .785, and .889, respectively), but I just can't seem to get it together this season. In matches where my opponent and I have answered the same number of questions correctly, I am now 0-4-1. The lone tie was 9(6)-9(6), so I couldn't mess up that one.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:10 am Defense is normally one of my strong suits (my previous season-long DE marks in Rundle A were .762, .764, .785, and .889, respectively), but I just can't seem to get it together this season. In matches where my opponent and I have answered the same number of questions correctly, I am now 0-4-1. The lone tie was 9(6)-9(6), so I couldn't mess up that one.
I used to not pay much attention to defense when I knew I had six right, figuring that it didn't matter at all. Then it was pointed out to me that I could be tied 9(6)-9(5). Oops. So now I'm much more careful on those rare days.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 am I totally misread the NCIS question the first several times. I thought he was looking for two cities that are a regional headquarter, but aren't Los Angeles or New Orleans. Very tricky wording. While I was thrashing about, I realized it had to be easier than I thought, and finally figured out that he was just looking for the two spinoff cities. Duh.
Yeah, that question was very easy to miss if you didn't read it carefully--then re-read it.

I never watched either of the NCIS shows, but do listen to a sports talk show that is aired on CBS. Many of the commercials on that show are for CBS prime-time programs, including NCIS and its New Orleans-based spinoff.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Kobe and I each hit threes, but I prevailed in the one-on-one. That leaves me just outside the promotion zone. Of course, it helps that I've had a forfeit win and the fewest CAA of anyone in my rundle.
Hoping for a third lap
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Thanks to a RTFQ error and poor defense over the last several days, I'm now in the relegation zone. My dad was addicted to the NCIS shows, and I knew them immediately....but thought we only needed to answer 1 city. I was given 3 points for it, and lost 2(3) - 3(3). D'oh!
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:44 am
jfrumkin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:33 amMost days I glance at the questions when I wake up and ruminate a bit before answering later in the morning. Once or twice a season, like yesterday, I open them up and don't have to bother ruminating because I know them all immediately. It's a great feeling but also a little sad to be done so quickly.
Yesterday was instant-six-pack-answer-and-be-done-with-it day for me as well.
Double shotguns for Woof and me that day.
ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:37 pm I said to myself, "Oh, Busby Berkeley!" Typed it in, hit submit... gah!
I also typed in Busby Berkeley (why do we know that name: from MAD?), but didn't submit it as the warning bell was tinkling. When Ziegfeld surfaced I was pretty sure that was it.

Leading A Continental in both TPA and CAA so currently mired in 24th, which I don't expect to last. My DE has rallied from an abysmal .286 after MD5 to about my career average. Now if my opponents would just stop chugging the days I do...
In and out of the pool four times
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

reddpen wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:57 pm
Double shotguns for Woof and me that day.
My only six-pack of the season, I do believe. Just your luck, eh?
Leading A Continental in both TPA and CAA so currently mired in 24th, which I don't expect to last. My DE has rallied from an abysmal .286 after MD5 to about my career average. Now if my opponents would just stop chugging the days I do...
I'm having pretty much the opposite experience. After a rocky start defensively, I've managed to raise my DE to .745 by giving up only 1-2 UffPA the past week. I don't expect that to last, either, as my DE tends to regress to the mean by season's end.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I'm not seeing why Tonga had a high % and why quadrille had a such a low %. Was this Winter olympian that big of a news story? And isn't a quadrille a J! pavlov for Lewis Caroll lobster dance for four
Volante

Post by Volante »

cf1140 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:31 pm I'm not seeing why Tonga had a high % and why quadrille had a such a low %. Was this Winter olympian that big of a news story? And isn't a quadrille a J! pavlov for Lewis Caroll lobster dance for four
Yes, Pita was a big news story. Just something about an oiled up athlete in 27F weather that unites us all...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am I had two RTFQ moments in yesterday's match. I actually did read the whole question about the card game, but then in looking over it again I completely forgot about the dance portion of the question in light of recalling euchre as the one card game I knew that removed a significant number of cards from the deck. I let that influence my defense too, as naming a card game was harder in my mind than naming the dance would have been. I outright failed to read the NCIS question in its entirety, and attempted to name the original show's location along with its first spinoff's. This led to me equaling VeredJ (both my public and private opponent) with 4 correct, and losing on defense.
I totally misread the NCIS question the first several times. I thought he was looking for two cities that are a regional headquarter, but aren't Los Angeles or New Orleans.
And I only thought we needed to name one of the two so answered "New Orleans." Not sure I would have gotten LA as the other one.

I really expected my opponent to miss "drupe" but, alas, he did not and I lost my match.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was one of the 16% who went with LA and Miami. I guess I've been watching too many old L&O episodes with my wife.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:02 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 am
I totally misread the NCIS question the first several times. I thought he was looking for two cities that are a regional headquarter, but aren't Los Angeles or New Orleans.
And I only thought we needed to name one of the two so answered "New Orleans." Not sure I would have gotten LA as the other one.
Thorsten has resisted the style of some 1ds and minileague authors who use boldface to highlight what you should answer. For this question he used italics to say "two cities". This just doesn't show up as well, and is too easy to skip over. I wish he would change his style.