LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:25 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Peachbox » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Another loss despite matching my opponent in correct answers. Sigh.

play_better_defense

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

cf1140 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:31 pm
I'm not seeing why Tonga had a high % and why quadrille had a such a low %. Was this Winter olympian that big of a news story? And isn't a quadrille a J! pavlov for Lewis Caroll lobster dance for four
Never heard of quadrille before. I also precalled the Tongan flag waver before seeing the picture. It was pretty big news in 2016 when Kathie Lee and Hoda were fawning all over him during the opening ceremonies.
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's, and maybe some of Chris Harrison's?

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1678
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:40 pm

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm
cf1140 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:31 pm
I'm not seeing why Tonga had a high % and why quadrille had a such a low %. Was this Winter olympian that big of a news story? And isn't a quadrille a J! pavlov for Lewis Caroll lobster dance for four
Never heard of quadrille before. I also precalled the Tongan flag waver before seeing the picture. It was pretty big news in 2016 when Kathie Lee and Hoda were fawning all over him during the opening ceremonies.
I think I had quadrille as a wrong answer for a card game question in a recent LL season. This time I was right

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1341
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Johnblue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Volante wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:27 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 am
On the Barnaby Joyce question, I didn't know, and I figured my not knowing was a strong indicator it wasn't the UK. I thought Ireland would be too obvious a guess given the surname, and I thought it would be lame to guess Australia given an English name that I assumed wasn't an English person. So I figured Joyce was stepping down along with Jacob Zuma, and guessed South Africa. If I had gone with Australia, it would have saved me a tie in both my public and private matches.
Ireland and South Africa both have a president, not a prime minister. This left me choosing from Australia, New Zealand, and (less likely), Canada. I made the right call this time
Presidents and prime ministers are not necessarily mutually exclusive. France and Israel have both, for example.



Ireland most certainly does have a PM! The presidency is mostly ceremonial. The title is Taoseaich.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6079
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Volante » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:12 am

Johnblue wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 pm
Volante wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:27 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 am
On the Barnaby Joyce question, I didn't know, and I figured my not knowing was a strong indicator it wasn't the UK. I thought Ireland would be too obvious a guess given the surname, and I thought it would be lame to guess Australia given an English name that I assumed wasn't an English person. So I figured Joyce was stepping down along with Jacob Zuma, and guessed South Africa. If I had gone with Australia, it would have saved me a tie in both my public and private matches.
Ireland and South Africa both have a president, not a prime minister. This left me choosing from Australia, New Zealand, and (less likely), Canada. I made the right call this time
Presidents and prime ministers are not necessarily mutually exclusive. France and Israel have both, for example.
Ireland most certainly does have a PM! The presidency is mostly ceremonial. The title is Taoseaich.
I'm gonna take a gamble on this assumption, but I doubt LL would call them the Prime Minister if the intended answer was Ireland. They'd flat out use Taoiseach. (Or, more technically in this clue, Tanaiste, since this was about the Deputy PM. Or a more generic "first in line head of government successor" which would just be evil.)

User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
Posts: 2524
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by ElendilPickle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 am

Reddpen, I know Busby Berkeley from all the over-the-top dance numbers in the musical films he was involved with.

Once again, I'd like to thank Georgette Heyer and (IIRC) Jane Austen for helping me learn about quadrille.

MD12's "always write down an answer" moment: "Oh, darn, I don't know who was the Israeli PM between Netanyahu's terms. The only name I can think of is Ariel Sharon, and I'm pretty sure he was earlier than Netanyahu. I guess I'll leave it blank." :::submits::: "Gah!"

User avatar
dinghammer
No Relation
Posts: 1065
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by dinghammer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:13 am

This:
SpoilerShow
Image
was on a recent Only Connect, and I got that from the first clue, then
Spoiler for Only Connect, I guessShow
attempted to name all the movies* as the clues were revealed.
*Show
I missed The World's End, probably calling it At World's End or something. That's one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
Playing along with yesterday's MD, I settled on Strictly Ballroom, one of my favorite movies, after naming all three for Q3. I've still never managed to tolerate the audio-visual assault of Moulin Rouge long enough to watch more than a few minutes of it at a time.

User avatar
dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by dnbguy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:55 am

This has been my best season yet. I'm answering 23% more questions than normal, and my DE is an incredible .826. Combine those with a surprise win over the rundle leader yesterday, and I'm now improbably in the promotion zone to go up to B next season. Let's see how long that lasts...

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1678
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:27 am

ElendilPickle wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 am
MD12's "always write down an answer" moment: "Oh, darn, I don't know who was the Israeli PM between Netanyahu's terms. The only name I can think of is Ariel Sharon, and I'm pretty sure he was earlier than Netanyahu. I guess I'll leave it blank." :::submits::: "Gah!"
That stings! Ouch :|

User avatar
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by SenseiCAY » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:51 am

ElendilPickle wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 am
MD12's "always write down an answer" moment: "Oh, darn, I don't know who was the Israeli PM between Netanyahu's terms. The only name I can think of is Ariel Sharon, and I'm pretty sure he was earlier than Netanyahu. I guess I'll leave it blank." :::submits::: "Gah!"
I put Sharon, but I fully expected that the answer would be Netanyahu's predecessor, which I asked about on the last TD game and couldn't remember. Still lost, but that was a relief to get right.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by boson » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:46 am

I'm disappointed not to get credit for 'sigma' instead of 'six sigma'. I knew the answer, I just thought he was looking for the statistical symbol.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1678
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 am

boson wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:46 am
I'm disappointed not to get credit for 'sigma' instead of 'six sigma'. I knew the answer, I just thought he was looking for the statistical symbol.
But the methodology is branded as Six Sigma, so sigma wouldn’t be enough

I do project management, so I’ve been raked over the six sigma coals. Those fishbone diagrams are enough to give anyone a migraine

I’ve never heard of GHOTI so I got phished on this one! I’m useless on questions that are pure trivia.

User avatar
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by zerobandwidth » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:48 am

Hey Woof, how about that Q3, eh? :lol:
Peachbox wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 pm
Another loss despite matching my opponent in correct answers. Sigh.
On MD11 I was finally on the right side of one of these - 6(3)-3(3) getting the same three questions right. :shock:

As expected, I am providing a solid floor to the private Rundle standings... :oops: :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3754
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 am

morbeedo wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 am

I’ve never heard of GHOTI so I got phished on this one! I’m useless on questions that are pure trivia.
*cough* :mrgreen:

User avatar
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by mennoknight » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:24 am

Mad props to Christian pop punk Ghoti Hook for finally doing something worthwhile and helping me get that question.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:45 am

Woof wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 am
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 am

I’ve never heard of GHOTI so I got phished on this one! I’m useless on questions that are pure trivia.
*cough* :mrgreen:
Learned this back in high school. Seeing your avatar kept it in my mind.
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's, and maybe some of Chris Harrison's?

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7669
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by econgator » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:02 am

Woof wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 am
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 am

I’ve never heard of GHOTI so I got phished on this one! I’m useless on questions that are pure trivia.
*cough* :mrgreen:
Yep. I have you to thank for that. ☺

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6079
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Volante » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:20 am

Woof wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 am
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 am

I’ve never heard of GHOTI so I got phished on this one! I’m useless on questions that are pure trivia.
*cough* :mrgreen:
So, about that whole "stumbling across the answer after seeing the clues thing..." :lol:
(Nah, I was good, and also, thanks! Didn't help with a win, I got out answered, but every bit on the road to 100 helps.)

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6020
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by alietr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 am

Woof wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 am
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 am

I’ve never heard of GHOTI so I got phished on this one! I’m useless on questions that are pure trivia.
*cough* :mrgreen:
Hahaha. I don't know how many times I've seen your avatar, and I didn't even think about that yesterday (knew it anyway). My opponent, however, was one of the 5% who knew Diebenkorn, thus defeating me.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4195
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:06 am

More people getting Six Sigma correct than Nightingale sort of blew my mind. I knew Six Sigma from work, but didn't expect it to be common knowledge.

On MD 13 I couldn't believe only 69% got gerrymander. I thought that was trivia 101 and expected a 90%+ get rate. I wonder what threw people off?

Post Reply