LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:50 pm I guess you could say I went big on question 2--I said NCAA.
NCAA was actually my first thought, too, but realized the "Western Conference" bit was a strong hint that it was a conference and not the entire NCAA.
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:46 pm Who else put Pac-12 for Q2 of the midseason classic?
I went with the Big Ten because the final lyric in the University of Michigan's fight song is the "Champions of the West". Therefore, it made sense to me that they were "The West" back in those years referenced in the question. I also correctly deduced it should be a money question.

But I could see where you, Kirk, would block out that particular song from your memory banks. :D You were a Spartan, yes?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I got 5th in Sugarloaf R which was the difference between 41st and 42nd. I feel very minorly significant :lol:

I knew Phillies because years ago I used to play Millionaire on Facebook, and one of the standard final round questions was what word appeared on the painting.
Last edited by Ironhorse on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Another Pac-12 here.
The first playwright/actor I thought of was Tracy Letts and he blinded me to anyone else. Buried Child should have been the tip-off.
I admit I don't have a photographic recall of "Nighthawks" so I had to think of old sports franchises. I completely forgot Phillies was a tobacco brand so the best thing I could come up with was Red Wings shoes.
Not getting Patagonia was just a brain fart.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jjwaymee wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:19 pm But I could see where you, Kirk, would block out that particular song from your memory banks. :D You were a Spartan, yes?
You are correct, sir!
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:33 pm Another Pac-12 here.
The first playwright/actor I thought of was Tracy Letts and he blinded me to anyone else. Buried Child should have been the tip-off.
I admit I don't have a photographic recall of "Nighthawks" so I had to think of old sports franchises. I completely forgot Phillies was a tobacco brand so the best thing I could come up with was Red Wings shoes.
Not getting Patagonia was just a brain fart.
Ivy League for me. I also went with Red Wings as a WAG, and moneyed it to boot. Didn’t money Shepard or Clark, and they would’ve been worth more than any of the 3 that I moneyed and got correct. I got to “what’s that clothing brand that my teen daughters were wanting me to buy for them” (it was Patagonia), but the word could not make it to the from of my brain.
Sheepin' it real.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

I finished tied for 671 in the 84th percentile and got 8/12. Moneyed with Shepard, Phillies, Shetlands, Clark, and ergonomics. Missed with PAC-10 (which I consistently forget has changed to PAC-12) for Big 10, Catalonia for Aragon, Smith for Forsyte, and Tommy for Quadrophenia. I potentially could've pulled any of these four since I've known of all of them at various points in the past, but the Who one really stings since I've owned a copy of the film version of Quadrophenia since I first got a DVD player twenty-some odd years ago.
I would prefer not to.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I wonder if anyone said "Forsythe," and if they got credit. At first I thought maybe that was why its get rate was as low as it was, but I felt like we'd see a lot more moneyed wrong answers for that question if that were the case.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:30 pm I wonder if anyone said "Forsythe," and if they got credit. At first I thought maybe that was why its get rate was as low as it was, but I felt like we'd see a lot more moneyed wrong answers for that question if that were the case.
I said Forsythe and it was counted.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Woof wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:14 pm I got 9/12 but still didn't breach the Top 100. Had I moneyed Quadrophenia rather than Patagonia, I still wouldn't have made the Top 100 but would have been close. Lost 50/50s on Schwarzkopf/Clark and Pac-12/B1G and missed the TOM of ponies on Shetland (said Hebrides). I agree that this was one of the easier MDCs I've played in.

I think the clue asked for dem candidates & the good General Schwarzkopf was a GOPer and while he was mentioned as a possible candidate he never ran.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:29 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:46 pm Who else put Pac-12 for Q2 of the midseason classic? I even had that moneyed. I'm impressed 23% got it right. I was a student-athlete at a Big Ten university and still blew that one! :roll:

I'm also impressed 42% came up with Wesley Clark. I pondered that one all weekend and never remembered him. I ended up going with John Glenn, which I figured was wrong.
I got suckered into Pac-12 as well. And went with Colin Powell.
Ditto and ditto. Finished #8 in my C-rundle (but would have been #5 in B -- go figure).
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:39 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:30 pm I wonder if anyone said "Forsythe," and if they got credit. At first I thought maybe that was why its get rate was as low as it was, but I felt like we'd see a lot more moneyed wrong answers for that question if that were the case.
I said Forsythe and it was counted.
The name "Forsythe" is often pronounced "Foresight", so I was pretty sure I'd be counted right. Otherwise, I switched from Big Ten to NCAA, did not remember Patagonia as a clothier, and would never have remembered Wesley Clark as a candidate (guessed Bob Kerrey).
I'm smart and I want respect.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

First post in a while here because I feel like it:

I'm in 1st place in my rundle! Granted, it's an E rundle, but it's still nice. According to my "personal records" section, I'm currently setting personal bests for most consecutive non-losses (11, with 10 being wins and 1 being a tie :o), DE, and correct answer percentage. 'Tis crazy, especially since I started out the season with a shameful forfeit.

Ouch on that gyros question (4% seems about right, but ouch). For the theater question, my fiancee used to be a stage manager and has told me all about it, so there was no way I was missing that question. I excitedly sent her a screenshot of it after I submitted.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I won 4(4)-2(3) yesterday, but after I submitted I was fully expecting a 4(4)-5(2) loss. I made a guess on stage manager and didn't think the answer was that simple, and my opponent's worst category was Theater so I gave them a 3 for it. Also, my opponent's best category was Food/Drink, but I had no idea that the gyro question would turn out to be a food question and assigned a 2. I guess that I was lucky that I wasn't sure of the answer on either of those questions!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MSC: On a recent Jeopardy! they were going for the name of the Harry Potter play, so naturally I blurted out Harry Potter and the Buried Child. That would have made Alex laugh I’m sure :lol:

WAGd PAC-12 and couldn’t recall Wesley Clark - kept seeing someone who looked like Rand Paul

MD17: I went nuts looking for the Japanese word until I realized I’ve only ever heard of that act as hari-kiri. Surprised to see the 70% get rate for that one! No love for my BWA of kutsu-gutsu

Wasn’t getting gyros but I recognized the first image and it drove me crazy. Had voltage but then talked myself out of it (different guy) and put capacity. Still would’ve lost so no shame there. I’m dropping like a rock but still safe from relegation for now!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

MSC: Another Pac 12 here, although I wasn't confident and totally forgot the Big 10 was originally considered "West" in terms of football (along with Notre Dame). For the Spielberg question, Hugo immediately came to mind and of course I moneyed it, but confused Spielberg with Scorcesee. Went with Tommy without really thinking like several others. Remembered Clark, and WAGed Aragon although didn't money either. Moneyed all 5 q's I got right would've given me about 175 extra points.

MD17: Lost 3(2)-6(4) in one of the strangest matches. My opponent had 25 TCA going into the day and got 4 right. He was 2-8 this season on World Hist (.275 lifetime) and 2-5 in Pop (.261 lifetime) and got both correct.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Gyros? Seriously?
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 am Gyros? Seriously?
If you're on the Diet of Worms, you can't eat gyros.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

My process: man, those look like food posters. It looks like those ladies wanna eat. They look like cheap Greek restaurant ads. What Greek food could they hold in their hand?

I don't know how to explain they looked like Greek food ads...but they just DID.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not a clue on the gyros, I went with "after" since they did not like a "before."